n00b help!!

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: n00b help!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

n00b help!!

Hi ive been reading through mindcandyman's LONG post on his journey to become a concept artist. This was really inspiring. Im an average drawer, nothing special but really want to do concept art. I understand that it wont be a simple process and that it will takes weeks and even months to make progress. I am mainly interested in American comic book drawing(u know like BANG! SPLAT!! KABOOM!!!). Before that i feel like i need to learn the techniques to drawing like how to draw a car, faces, building and animals. So, i was wondering if you pro's could tell me of any tutorials for a beginner. Do you think i should buy a wacom tablet and painter 7?

Thanks will :iws: (couldnt resist lol)

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Speaking as a n00b, I can tell you that I'm learning to draw traditionally first. I did pick up a tablet (which comes with painter classic, enough to dabble in it) but I haven't used it quite yet. The basic principles you learn with a pencil and paper can transfer over to other mediums.

There a tons of tutorials floating around.

I'd suggest finding some that are more your level (whatever that may be). There is an extensive perspective ellipse tutorial at www.drawthrough.com, Scott Robertson's site.

Try to think about your work critically (ie, what's wrong with it? It may be obvious to a seasoned art pro, but not to the artist who made it). You have to get some critique on it so you can improve.

If you're interested in comic books, pick up a copy of drawing the marvel way. They touch upon some very simple concepts, such as perspective and some composition, and even some figure proportions. Keep in mind, this is COMIC BOOK - if you want to take things a step higher, look into more professional books on composition, or perspective... or figure drawing.

It's really complex and overwhelming... I just wish I had time, and a big lesson plan to follow to success. Unfortunately, the only REAL advice I can give is to just draw. The more you draw, the better you'll be. Practice makes perfect after all

Thanks
    Thanked 16,679 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Re: n00b help!!

Originally posted by will_274
    Do you think i should buy a wacom tablet and painter 7?
    No, you should buy pencils. And paper...lots and lots of paper.

home is where the heart is. mb if i had a heart id have home....
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yah, a computer aint gonna help for shiot penciling a comic book unless you can do it perfectly in painter with a pencil effect which is more work than it should be. snag a anatomy book and learn anatomy inside and out. i did this half assed and got some decent results although i never studied the face so i really cant make cool faces as easy as a body.

for cars id maybe snag some car mags and draw some cars and get used to lighting and chrome reflection etc.

get a book on perspective so you can accurately draw objects in relation to eachother.

get "how to draw comics the marvel way". its a fun basic read.

get a book on sequential art, or study how to move one scene to another very well and smoothly.

if you have enough talent or want to try you can learn how to make and write a decent story yourself and given how good you are you can bring a independant product to image or dreamwave or darkhorse and theyd publish it.

good luck.

Fen Berserke Kirta Morta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i'm not sure how old you are...but i highly recommend taking some drawwing classes for figure and perspective...it's always best to start practicing on your own, but the advice and perspective of a good instructor can really help you recognize what you're doing right and where you can improve. Also, start putting together a portfolio of 6 to 10 pages of sequential art...even if you know you're not ready to get a job, showing your portfolio to editors at a comic convention is an invaluable, though sometimes harsh, way to see where you need to improve. also, it's helpful for learning how to take criticism without being offended. oh yeah...and draw...2-3 hours a day at least. good luck. oh...and give the computer a rest until you've got at least the basics down.

My Sketchbook

check out the website:

ten30one studios

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks guys i wont buy the tablet and ill pick up a few of them books u guys talked about...thanks again

will

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Get some sketchbooks. (Some nice ones so they don't fall apart on you). Because, its fun to go back and see your progress. And it saves your concepts, and you can go back and take the good ones and maybe turn them into a finished piece. And, just draw anything. Theres always things to draw. Draw whatever you see, whatever you think, draw your dreams. ("Draw your dreams" thats deep huh?)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Get used to freehand sketching before you even start muckin around on a computer. If you're not good at doing it on paper, it's not going to be much different on pc. You need firsthand experience before anything. I'd suggest just drawing everything you see. Though, I'm not a concept artist, I just sketch my brains out, so you don't have to listen to me.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.