• OmertA

1 2.44%
  • sketcheth

17 41.46%
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Poll: Teen Challenge #47: High Tech Knight

First: Congratulation to Justin Oaksford and Goog for winning the "teen challenge #45 and # 46".

Winners of the teen challenge (since challenge 42):
    zelda_geek:1kojot:1
    Lotet:1
    Goog:1
    Justin Oaksford:1

here are the entries for the "teen Challenge #47: High Tech Knight" :

Lewis

pokepetter

zelda_geek

iambanana

Auncer

The Amaranth

Me,Myself & Me again

ijacobs9

graywolff

WillT

originaldoive

vibhas_virwani

OmertA

sketcheth

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted sketcheth.

It was a tight one for me between him and "Me Myself & Me Again". The deciding factor was that Sketcheth's actually had not only styling that suggested technology, but it had actual "hi-tech" parts (the glowy bits). The rendering and craftsmanship are slightly better as well. Me, Myself etc. put up a good fight though. With a few perspective fixes and more obvious "high-techness", he (she?) could have easily had it.

Good round all

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its a vote for sketcheth for me guys.
    It has to be the whole style of the piece that won me over and that gorgeus orange copper suit! Wow!

great work guys!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Third one for sketcheth. It has a nice style, the design is great, and the colours are nicely chosen. I am in awe that somebody of this age group can have this level of technique and stylize in such a way that it works cohesively; maybe even jealous. It really motivated me to begin to study metal in order to draw it better than I did.

Looking at this, I think I overdid it with my design and it turned out absolutely ridiculous while sketcheth managed to keep things simpler and retain the high-tech feeling. My only critique is that the weapon could have been drawn so it emits the high-tech feeling clearer but hey, I could not have done better than what is shown.

EDIT: Great job, everyone! I look forward to the next challenge.

Last edited by Alex Chow; June 10th, 2008 at 03:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voted for WillT. There are many second places to me. Really great round of everyone!

Next round will be up in a few hours.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damnit I was too late..

I'll just post it anyway in the thread.. can't wait for the next one!

Lurking since 2008.

My sketchbook!

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=159448

Yay!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amaranth; as a note it wasn't the rendering that hurt your piece, it was the proportions. Think about weight, proportions (look at disney cartoons, for real. Put all the characters of an animated movie together, and look at how distinct each one's proportions are to eachother.) The rendering is not bad, but if your design isn't good than no amount of rendering will change that.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    EDIT: Long-ass Discussion forwarded to private messages. Again, great job everyone!

Last edited by Alex Chow; June 10th, 2008 at 11:08 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gave my vote to WillT. Just really digged the sleek design of his knight. And the fact that the weapon was a club, not a sword.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I voted Vibhas mostly for the lance/joust. The weapon seemed very high tech ion pulsar, laser, electricity what have you. Only critique would be its a bit wraith-like. But it works.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to ConstantRequiem For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great entries, everybody. Some really nice work. Such diversity in the designs, too! That's what's really neat. Loads of creativity, I hope everyone participates in the next one as well. Comments all around!

Lewis: Really liked the color scheme you were running with for this piece, and I think you had a cool design in the works, but I really think you just need to show more of it. Cool design, though.

pokepetter: Kudos to you for doing the mount, and for finishing your piece so quickly! I wish I had that sort of drive... I think it may have benefited you to leave the knight off his mount, just so you can see more of the knight design, because in this piece, the mount comes across as more of the focus. Also, try to stay away from using small brushes and hatching, it ends up making the metal plating not look like metal plates in the end. Keep working on your forms. Keep it up!

zelda_geek:The hair coming out of the top of the helmet is definitely something I wanted to keep in my piece but just didn't see it working, I like how you used it though. The armor's chock full of great shapes. I especially like the shoulder armor and especially the seams, having them fit together so perfectly works really well, I think...I wish you'd have added a weapon!

iambanana: Hight tech, definitely. Knight, also definitely. A really solid design with a great sword...my only real critique is kind of a technical one. Try to differentiate between the different materials in the armor and clothing by painting it differently, for instance, stronger highlights on the armor and such because it's more reflective. Nice work my friend.

Auncerang, man...it's really just a cool look for a knight, all...creepy and stuff. Just a little too fuzzy overall for my taste. Great vibe though, I would love to see a little bit more of the design clarified...

The Amaranth: Lovely rendering job, first off. I really want to like the glowing, and the reoccurring crosses are awesome...the rendering looks great. I think the proportion just kind of holds it back...it's just a little too top-heavy. Still, really cool work...
    Me,Myself & Me Again: I really like the sheer bulk of this guy...he's not just a knight he's half tank. Really cool concept, lots of nice shames. That single slot visor is so simple...but it really works with the boxy-ness of the rest of this. I feel like it could be pushed a little further in the high tech aspect. Nice work, man.

ijacobs9: Nice work, I think you've got a great idea as far as the high tech look goes...very tron reminiscent to me, haha. I think that unfortunately you lost some of the knight-ness by not giving him a helmet...to me at least, that's a big part of a knight's look.

graywolff: Neat design, you've got tons of cool shapes and design elements going, they're just a little unclear in parts, just adding a little bit of tone to show the form and everything could really help push your design a bit more. Having the little exhaust pipe thingy is a fantastic touch. Nice work.

WillT: I really like how you gave a lot of traditional knight armor and gave it a modern look. I also think having a mace/club, rather than a sword and adding the rosary are excellent touches. It's cool to see the sort of religious ties kept up in a lot of these pieces...crosses just make for a great motif...the perspective is just a bit off, but I think the design and everything is very well rendered. While I think teh shapes on the armor say a lot about it being modern, I think it could be just a little more high techy in the end. Still, great work.

Original Doive: Once again, great use of the cross motif...I really like what you did with the visor, kind of a weeping look...unique. Solid design, looks great!

Vibhas Virwani: Yours stuck out at me from the beginning. I think having so much of the light blue as reflected light as well as in the glow and everything kind of weakens the piece overall, but it still is a very high tech design...capes are awesome.

OmertA: I like your piece a lot just for the fact that the knight seems like he's got some definite weight to him and he seems pretty tough because of that. While I don't know why he might have wires coming out of his sword-like thingy, I still like them. Cool look, you definitely took a different direction then most, which is awesome.

Ultimately, it came down to WillT and Vibhas...and I think I have to go with Vibhas. I think he best combined the knightliness with the high tech look. Great job everybody.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sketcheth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks sketcheth ! hah i didend up adding tone but was in a place with no internet or scanner to submit it! i'll b working on the computer this time though to see what happens.

thanks for the kindwords you'll win by far, love the tones in your armour and the overall knight himself. i think his helmet is hella tight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cheers for the feedback sketcheth,
    everyone did a rad job, i was extremely impressed at the really high level of everyones work. excellent work all around guys.

i voted for sketcheth because of the extremely strong design and rendering.
    the image just appeals alot. I especially like the helmet.

awesome job everyone

Floating in this cosmic Jacuzzi we are frogs oblivious to the water starting to boil

Original Doive's Sketchbook CRITS PLEASE

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went for sketcheth. The overall design was great, the colours you chose just work really well and those boots are so awesome . oh and thanks for the feedback, man. Great entries everyone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Omerta just as a note, it's generally frowned upon to vote for yourself in a poll.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ConstantRequiem and sketcheth : thanks a lot , those are my very first votes on CA.org
    im going to keep trying hard to improve

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.