How do I get published?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How do I get published?

Hi everybody,

Many of you probably know me as the artist/writer behind Much the Miller's Son.http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=114370

I just received yet another rejection letter today, this time from Top Shelf Comix. This got me thinking, not for the first time, how am I gonna find a publisher?

I've been doing the webcomic for a little over a year now, which isn't exactly a lot of time, I'll admit, but the feedback has always been very positive. I seem to do very well at conventions, and I've received wonderful compliments from a number of professional cartoonists whom I respect a great deal.

Actually, it seems like the the only group of people who don't like my comic are publishers. So what am I doing wrong? Do any of you professional, published cartoonists have any insight? Can you give me some tips? Maybe there are publishers you can recommend who might be interested.

I'd really appreciate some constructive criticism. Thanks guys.

Steve LeCouilliard

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It may just be that they aren't sure the concept is a money maker. The talent may be fine, but if they don't love the actual project (or the theme, subject etc) then you are kind of stuck. Publishers are notorious for not wanting to take risks, even on good material.They would rather retread a subject that is a proven fan favorite than take a chance.

I see you as having two options. One is keep doing the web comic and hope that it becomes popular enough that demand for a book becomes inevitable. The other is try your hand at another story, one that is more obviously popular. I suppose there is sort of an option between those where you revamp your original idea and try to make it appeal more to publishers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, I went to the site.

The 'enlarged' versions still aren't big enough to tell me what's goin on - I can barely see the images, and can't read the text at all.

Not gonna buy something if I can't tell whether or not I like it.(Same issue with the ones in the blog - the linework looks choppy on my computer and I can't read it.)

What about hosting one issue or the free comic on a site specifically for hosting comics? Then pimp it everywhere. Penny Arcade and Rooster Teeth weren't moneymakers the first few years either .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello

I have looked at your blog and your thread.
    The drawings are rather cohérents, but I think that the scenariis are a bit unequals especially the last ones you have been posting on your blog.

As for being published...I don't know very well the comics market besides what comes out in france but it seems to me that for the kind of work you are doing, you should adress yourself to the youth magazines. And proposing them a one-page strip for each month.
    you should maybe look at the french market wich looks more open to this kind of caricatural drawings.

courage

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Minigoth: Indyplanet's layout isn't that great. I find most of my readers through the forums. Like this one. I think if you click on the blog images they'll come up in a new window. I'm also hosted on DrunkDuck and ComicSpace.

Ryuloulou: I will try to get in touch with more French publishers in the future, thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya hun. Id say from the brief look I had your style is more, something we might see on the comics strip page of the daily newspaper. Maybe start there? If we look at current industry standards in comics strips its pretty much animae, old school marvel style or cutsey stuff that gets published. Good luck!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.