Sketchbook: Mock: 10/4 Thumbnails and WIP progress shots, pg. 21. - Page 6
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast

Thread: Mock: 10/4 Thumbnails and WIP progress shots, pg. 21.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just posting a friendly booster! I know you're working your ass off to get your portfolio ready, so in case you check this, just wanted to say that I envy your work ethic and hope that all is going well. Don't forget to get the proper sleep .

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cdejong For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So you are italian and you spent the last years studying something you didn't really love? It's like I'm your evil twin or something I'm 22, graduating in about 2 months in Economics (con qualche mese di ritardo) and I'm going to attend the Angel Academy in Florence...It's a pretty similar story :| !
    Regarding your works, I'm amazed by your motivation and dedication, It's kinda intimidating to be honest...you display both talent and discipline I'm pretty sure you'll probably succeed, if you keep focusing so hard!
    I'd love to hear from you, since you are already living in the USA, we are both interested in the atelier training and well...we speak italian (from what I gather).
    Hope not to bother you, keep it up!

Last edited by GaussianRaider; February 12th, 2009 at 02:53 PM.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to GaussianRaider For This Useful Post:

revenebo is offline orchitect and designerd
    Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GaussianRaider ...e sembra che sia pure carina. Deve per forza avere qualche difetto nascosto, tipo che una psicopatica assassina o le piacciono le Winx.

Translation: Mock, I agree with GaussianRaider, your dedication and resolution are admirable. And it looks like you're getting better day after day. Keep up!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to revenebo For This Useful Post:

kidult is offline Does this sketch make my ass look fat? Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep at it gal! hope you get some good stuff done for the workshop....wish I could go!....stupid 3rd world currency

8. The Following User Says Thank You to kidult For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whooo, how time flies! Thanks guys for sticking with me despite my lack of updates. I'm trying to get 80 hours in on a complex cast drawing before the workshop, so almost all of my time has been going to that, which I don't want to scan and post until it's finished. Which will probably be about a week or two before the workshop.

The new schedule is working out great. I get a lot of time to study each subject, but maintain enough diversity to keep myself moving forward. I feel like I'm finally making progress, albeit not as quickly as I would like.

Some other stuff:

Anatomy and drapery studies, Titania sketch that never saw the light of day, a study in texturing armor, first of many 20 minute photo environment speedpaints from a really great book I picked up from Borders, an icy landscape speedpaint (~1.5 hr) inspired by all of the insane Blizzard art form Wrath of the Lich King, and a WIP for my portfolio. You should recognize the characters from the sketch a page or so back. =)

I'll also come back and respond to individual comments tonight. I have to go play racquetball in a few minutes. Whoooo physical activity.

Attached Images Attached Images            

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Really wonderful studies, and beautiful colours in the paints.

peace,
    matt

Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JailHouseRock2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those last digitals poses were quite flat, but usually your sketches aren't
    ???

MY SKETCHBOOK IN BIG LETTERS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=116474
    COMPLETE LIST OF THE FORGOTTEN SKETCHBOOKS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post1992378

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Nettle_Mountain For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hair could have seen some more development but I like your rendition of Titania.

I still think you need to keep doing environment studies from photo reference, gotta learn the locale before you paint it. You are basically going off of memories of other people's paintings or the random postcard rack you saw two years ago.

Ventrilo Sketchbook Club:
    Medieve
    a la bapsi
    Robert.B
    Animation Idiot

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Medieve For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi mock; well, even if you havent updated so much at least you've been practicing! which is more then I can say. that woman in the 3rd drawing on your last lost looks great; love those hands. I can see what ppl mean with a bit of flatness in you digital work though. looking at the last peice, I think it's got to do with the contrast between light and dark, and the using of softness; right now, there's a lot of softness in the foreground as well; that kind of breaks the suggestion of debth. added to it, your shadows/light areas dont relly contrast that sharply.

>>SKETCHBOOK. you'll visit me. I'll visit you, we'll have a tea party. with arts and shit. it'll be dreamy. stop by.
    >>mah tumbr

17. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Jumping around houses north east in the uk.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with the colour, and and the flat poses.

You should work with those shadow edges, It whould help with your modeling. Look at Elwells Tutorial>>>>>.LINK

The poses need Dynamism, Study poses like Contrapposto, the twist and the head, ribcage and pelvis.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Fitzin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Progress mock!

Always a pleasure seeing your name as last post by

Thumbs up and see you at the workshop.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Helioth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the enviro on page 1.
    Keep it up.

=================================
    Sketchbook
    [URL="http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=120761"]http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=120761[/URL

23. The Following User Says Thank You to humanNature6115 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been getting that hopeless feeling recently, but you guys make me feel like it's possible. =) I have such a long way to go, but watching this SB bounce back and forth between 4 and 5 stars is motivating. Someday I'll earn that 5th one.

Been looking through Bumskee's sketchbook all day. Freaking amazing. I feel totally re-inspired.

RobertB: Consider it done. I went out and bought a new one today for drawing only hands and feet. =)

pepps: Thanks! I feel like I should re-do that image, but I ended up scrapping the entire thing. I just wasn't putting the thought I needed to into it at the early stages, and the result was a jumbled up mess I couldn't sort out.

Sebbonaparte: Sleep is for the weak, man. ;P

Gaussian: Clearly we were separated at birth! Congratulations on making that leap into pursuing what you love rather than what's secure. I know it can be intimidating. =) As for motivation and dedication.. it comes and goes. Someday you think, "I can do this", others you feel hopeless. It's all about pushing through those downtimes.

Revenebo: Thank you! I'm glad that at least some progress seems to be showing.

Kidult: I'll put you in my suitcase and take you with me. =)

Jailhouse: Thanks!

Nettle: Yeah, I think it's a problem with my values. I've noticed that I keep everything in a really close value range lately. I'm trying to fix that. Hopefully it'll show in the next update.

Medieve: Yeah. I picked up more reference books for that today. Gonna unload half a dozen environment paintings from ref this weekend, hopefully.

Ashess: Yeah. I need to work on that. Thank you for pointing it out

Fitzin: Damn, how did I not know about that tutorial! Thanks man. I'll check that out ASAP.

Helioth: Nice to see you in here, man. Can't wait for Dallas. I'm panicking about having people there see my portfolio already, haha.

humannature: Thanks! =)

Last edited by Mock; February 17th, 2009 at 05:13 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mock View Post
    I've been getting that hopeless feeling recently, but you guys make me feel like it's possible. =) I have such a long way to go, but watching this SB bounce back and forth between 4 and 5 stars is motivating. Someday I'll earn that 5th one.

Been looking through Bumskee's sketchbook all day. Freaking amazing. I feel totally re-inspired.

Helioth: Nice to see you in here, man. Can't wait for Dallas. I'm panicking about having people there see my portfolio already, haha.

Don't panick! Just be selective... quality over quantity with these things as far as i can tell!
    Obviously, within reason, 1 piece is not a portfolio, although it may carry it :p

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Helioth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey hey. Nice to see you update. Quick crit ( hate doing these but got alot of stuff to do today)

Colours!( not mispelled I r canadian)
    - Paint from life, especially your skin tones.(Sp's are awesome for this)

Im gonna edit this later tonight, but now i gotta go. MOre later i promise.

~Curiosity killed the cat. But it made me a F#@k of a lot smarter.

The Human Genome SketchProject

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Genome For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I just had somewhat of a breakthrough when it comes to environment painting, colors, values.. and a lot of things. I make things too opaque and solid, and I think that's partially responsible for things having such a flat look, like the wheat field in the last image. I noticed while looking at a lot of Bumskee's environment work that the contrast between sharp, refined shapes and less detailed areas adds a lot of depth. (Basic, I know. Forgive me for being thick. XD) I'm only writing this down in here so that I keep it in mind in the future.

Still a long way to go, but at least its a step in the right direction. I'm trying to get braver with my values and not shy away from darks so much.

Painted while looking at jungle photographs. Some stuff is from ref, some is made up. Will probably refine the BG in this one a bit more.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Mock; February 17th, 2009 at 09:18 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, new breakthrough= new post Btw I can see the improvement in what you posted above me and I am super impressed.

So heres some crits: Hope they arent too harsh.

- You need to finish everything, from studies to eighty hour drawings. This is the only way to push us and find out where are true weaknesses are.You will also notice that the artists that have tons of WIP's are the ones that don't improve as fast as the completionists. Also it improves patience and concentration cause you wont have the time to mess around ( not saying you are just It's what I do haha) I do understand that time is a concern so focus on what is most important with what you are doing. What are your goals? Do i want this fabric to look right, So i should focus on it rather than the body after i build the structure of what is holding it up. Is this a character development piece? Then i should establish the silhouette and gesture so it is different than the average Joe.

- ALWAYS ALWAYS think of composition, especially in studies. Why you ask? because everyone (should) complete tons of these. And practice makes perfect. Good sense of composition can make a person that can draw stick people better than the medium skilled person on this website. So study it!
    With your latest character piece, it was very unbalanced. Also my eyes didn't really know what to look at cause nothing caught and held my eyes.

Heres a link that is focused on what you are doing now Landscapes
    http://www.wetcanvas.com/Articles2/135/120/

-This is where I am afraid I might become harsh please don't take it personal.
    But what I need to say is that although you have awesome Ideas and execution(rendering etc) all this technical skill isn't worth a lot if you don't do something special with it.
    Oh two characters standing beside each other... thats nice.
    Make stuff happen! Take that image and make it dance around in my mind! Always ask your self " How can I make this less boring?", from start to finish but that start is SUPER IMPORTANT. So plan things out; this can be very quick, but a plan is like the scaffolding to a building it keeps us in line while we make beautiful arches. Avoid becoming stale, make some action happen, vary stances, make us emotionally involved in something! Concept artists need to convey a message instantly, that is there job. To tell us what this painting, person, or monster does and how we should feel about it.
    Like I always tell actors I am directing " We are the audience, you tell us how to feel or we will choose to not care at all."

The reason I am saying this is that we are only ever remembered for our worst work. You could die in your sleep or get hit by a bus sometime and you need to make sure that on that last day of drawing you not only put your heart and soul into something and made it interesting to you but tried to make it a good piece to look at.

- colour Studies!! try some small canvases on Pshop that focus purely on colour. Try some without any real drawing and some with! they will make you into a colour master faster than you can think! (I love the focus on values first though )
    check these
    Name:  Colourstudyex.2.jpg
Views: 753
Size:  32.9 KB
    Name:  Colourstudyex.1.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  39.7 KB

These were done by Robogabo http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=71911&page=68"]

-YESS studying of other pictures is what turned Carlos Duran into not just some next painter but the master teacher of Sargent! Bumskee is also a personal hero of mine he's soo dreamy
    BUT although he is awesome never forget to check out the masters
    Here are some links to some landscape guys i admire
    Thomas Moran-http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/databa...aid=733&page=1
    Caspar David Friedrich-http://www.artrenewal.org/asp/databa...aid=179&page=3

In conclusion i hope you got what i was saying with the whole "Make stuff happen" section of the crit. I wasnt trying to insult, just saying that i KNOW with all my heart you can make me walk away from this thread saying " damn i get what that woman in tribal makeup is like just from how she is standing." or " what a scene, look how shes crying". You are a great artist, much better than I am, and well on your way to the CA atelier.

P.s I must say again that I love that landscape

~Curiosity killed the cat. But it made me a F#@k of a lot smarter.

The Human Genome SketchProject

31. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Genome For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh Mock your progression is simply amazing. Especially your enviros. No crits, you are just amazing. Keep it up.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

http://global.thebump.com/tools/tickers/tt6b71c.aspx

Spaztastic's world of junk
    And The-SSG-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named!!!
    Realitychecks SB LakeLands SB Me,Myself, and Me again Vehkt's

33. The Following User Says Thank You to spaztastic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, spaz! Slowly but surely, haha.

Genome, being offended by that crit would be the most ungrateful response possible. I am extremely appreciative that you took the time and thought to write that out. These are thing I need to get better. And when I can finally someday call myself a professional, I'll have you (and people like you) to thank for it. =)

I know what you mean by needing to finish things. I have piled of WIPs that I never push to completion. I always considered it laziness, but I think it might be more that I get stuck and don't push myself to complete it after I'm at a loss for what direction to go. So I'll start completing everything from now on. I'm also studying composition a lot more now, so hopefully that will show up in future work.

As for making things happen... yeeeah. I need to work on that a lot, huh? Don't worry, I don't take it as an insult at all. It's a fact, and the only way I'm going to improve is to face that fact and overcome it. So pointing it out is a favor to me. I'll start working a lot more on action, pose, and expression.

Color studies look incredibly fun. I'm going to do some of those now to give myself a time out from cast drawing. And I'll check out those masters and the site on composition you linked before I start my next environment set later today. =)

Thanks again. You always give incredibly helpful crits!

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Mock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff in here. And what a great crit you got from Genome!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Sublimus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Muhahaha, I found you! Great work so far, btw. I'm of the belief that the more landscapes you do, the more sophisticated your painting skill gets. (Thats why ive done all of...one. lol) Keep at it!

Warning! Drinking lots of beer can impair your senses. Please do so before you view my sketchbook!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...17#post1821417

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Nadesican For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great stuff! you sure work hard I notice you sometimes tend to make the top of the head a bit too long? just an observation...keep it up!

41. The Following User Says Thank You to paperX For This Useful Post:

Mischeviouslittleelf is offline Promoted himself from Auxillery Pencil Infaantrist to Tablet Gunner Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 716 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, some real cool colour tests and not to mention the designs you have there, keep those going, I wanna see more!

-E

43. The Following User Says Thank You to Mischeviouslittleelf For This Useful Post:

Jumping around houses north east in the uk.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really profiting off the crits here. I want more! CRIT HER ASS OFF PLEASE.

(also post more.)

Last edited by Fitzin; February 26th, 2009 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Said somthing about my surprise on ventrilo voice chat , I don't want to say it

45. The Following User Says Thank You to Fitzin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your sketchbook... but... your avatar gives me the creeps! WTF is the Ewok doing!???

Best wishes,

Chris

My SKETCHBOOK!
    My Deviantart!

I'm working at:
    www.McPeppergames.com

My creator-owned comic... now available as a FREE digital download:
    MAYA thread here at conceptart.org
    MAYA website

Facebook
    LinkedIn
    TWITTER

47. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Noeth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's great to see someone working so hard to improve! Great work ethic, man. Keep pushing and you'll get exactly where you want to be in no time at all, I'm sure!

49. The Following User Says Thank You to Zebz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    go mock go! awesome sb !

51. The Following User Says Thank You to Dished For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Noeth View Post
    I really like your sketchbook... but... your avatar gives me the creeps! WTF is the Ewok doing!???

Best wishes,

Chris
    Loving, man. He is loooooving him.

Mischeviouslittleelf: Haha, I wish I could take credit for those. However, they were done by Robogabo. Hopefully I will have a lot of my own to post very soon, inspired by the ones that Genome linked.

I'll hopefully have some more stuff to post coming up soon. Sorry for being so absentee lately, guys. I've been sinking a lot of time into this cast drawing and studying composition (and this weeks ChoW.. trying to take Genomes advice and make some action happen!), so there's not as much actual work to show. I will also respond to comments individually when I have a good update. Thanks for all of the kind words and support. You guys keep me motivated. =)

So fucking excited for Dallas! Hope to see a lot of you guys there.

53. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking good. one suggestion i have is in regards to your figure studies. try to forget about lines and details and think mostly about posture, volume and light. next time you draw a human figure, squint the details away and use a fairly hard leaded pencil to render the gesture and light/shadow only. don't bother with a single detail. then pull out a softer lead and work out the darker shadows and largest areas of detail, repeat with softer leads and darkest shadows (pulling out highlights with an eraser) until you have a full spectrum of value. try this a few times and you'll start to get a real sense for how unimportant 99% of details are.

just an exercise i like to do as a warm up ;P

-: [ sketchbook | sour.org ] :-

55. The Following User Says Thank You to sourgasm For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 594 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    more drawings ! arr. and... more.... more :]

57. The Following User Says Thank You to DanielC For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast