Page 10 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    nice studies ! makes me realize how much i need to do myself ^^; that life drawings looks great! keep it up

Grab your pencil, grab your dream!
    My Sketchbook - Blog - Fineart Blog
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Call0ps For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Great works. I love the digital art, it is inspiring and creative. Ur studies is what caught my eye. They are beautifully done and very clean. What are some tips for good studies? I need to so better ones, comment me back, thanks

Comment my crappy art PLEEZ ; )

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DaStreets For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Seb: Yeah. Feet are something I need to make sure I draw into my images more. I have a tendency to be a lazy ass about them.

Fitzin: Will do! I picked up a book today on expression, so more of that will be popping up in here soon.

Daniel: I haven't tried any yet, but I'll do some tomorrow while I'm doingmy daily round of studies.

Call0ps: Thanks! No such thing as too many studies.

DaStreets: For good studies the only real thing I can say it "again and again." The best way to learn from studies rather than just copying work is to analyze what you are drawing, and draw it so much that it becomes stuck in your brain.

The past couple of days have been insane. I'm busting my ass trying to get a decent portfolio together to show to Carl at the Dallas workshop, so I should have a massive sketch/study/color update by the end of this week. Right now, here's an idea doodle I did for an image involving the same species from post #82.

Attached Images Attached Images  

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,264 Times in 917 Posts
    loving your pencils.
    your portfolio will look great.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to a la bapsi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    man, good shit you've got here. good to hear the positive spirit you have about the CA workshop and your future in general. i'm working to get myself out to san fran myself. i'm looking to be out there around july. can't wait to attend all those CA workshops. gonna be awesome!

rock on dude!

Blog
    Sketchbook

"Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Peetaer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Relly enjoyed your Ghosts of Christmas CHOW, fantasic Bridgman studies too, wish I could get mine to look that clean!

keep up the good work,
    matt

Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

13. The Following User Says Thank You to JailHouseRock2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    bapsi: Lets hope so, haha. So little time!

Peetaer: Thanks! A positive attitude is a must when you're faced with phenomenal artists every day, haha.

Matt: Thanks. I will probably revisit that CHOW eventually, lots of things that need to be fixed.

I will save all of the anatomy studies and pencils for a massive sketchdump sometime this weekend. In the meantime, here's a speedy image of a friends character. I tried to stick to a slightly anime-ish look to match his own style, even if its not my personal preference for painting.

About 1.5 hours. I know, there's tons of shit wrong with it, but I don't have much time to devote to non-portfolio work until after the Dallas workshop hits.

Jumping around houses north east in the uk.
    Thanks
    It whould be fantastic that you'd end up in that Dallas workshop, may it solve many of your questions concerning art. I myself, whould love to go, but I'm very far away from it.

It whould be intresting if you tryed tackling a more dynamic pose such as an battle scene like Frank Franzetta can do.

I know Loomis showed somthing in his PDF "Creative illustration" about why he uses symmertrical design with pictoral meaning, So you can explore that also.

Work that arse off!

Last edited by Fitzin; January 22nd, 2009 at 01:51 AM.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Fitzin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Oh, very sexy sketchbook. The character designs are phenomenal! I especially like the two at the very bottom of hte previous page, the guy with the horns and the girl with sweet pants. Wow...I just want more! I'll be stopping by again!
    Have fun at the Dallas Workshop, I would love to be there for that...damn....school. Enjoy that. Are you allowing yourself to post your portfolio work? I'm sure I speak for all when I say we'd all love to see.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to sketcheth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,136 Times in 893 Posts
    I have to wonder the same thing.. if this is the stuff you keep out of your portfolio the pieces in it must be amazing. though, personally, I always found the easiest way to put together a portfolio was just rummage through all my drawings, and make the best ones presentable (like putting 'm in a pass par tout; I'm a little messy). of course, I only really did 2, both for an art academy. so maybe your position is different. year later I did sit in on intakes at the second one, so I do know what the teachers looked for. just remember; usually people want to see a lot of sketches too.

SKETCHBOOK - my website - facebook company page
    ooh yeah; did you know I'm a certified art-teacher? that's right. everything arty I say has been endorsed by the state of the Netherlands! (they'll be sorry soon)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to ashess For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Fitzin: I think I have those Loomis books, actually. I'll dig them out and get to work!

Sketcheth: Thanks! I'll definitely be posting the portfolio stuff once I get it completed. I'll actually be doing a couple of design sheets for the two from the previous page to be included in my portfolio. =)

Ashess: Yeah, I think what I'm going to do is have the sketches and concept doodles for the finished image on the left side of the page, and then on the right have the finished illustration. That way it shows both the design process and the finished piece.

Sketches and doodles and studies from the past few days. Another friends character done just for fun. A page of ideas and doodles for a type of sorcerer that manipulates gravitational fields, and some 90 second posemaniacs studies.

I have several pages (just more boring anatomy/perspective stuff) that I can't get scanned in because my scanner crapped out halfway through. I'll try to get them scanned in later tonight.

Looooots of color work coming up, and lots of character designs. Probably sometime late next week.

Thanks
    Bleh. I have scrapped so many hours of work this week. Trying to loosen up and let things flow a bit more, and trying to get out of my comfort zone in terms of design. Discouraged, discouraged, discouraged. I'm at that "Oh god how am I going to get good enough" stage again. Gonna keep pushing through the blockage.

Doodle of what I'm working on.

Thanks
    Hi, I have a certain few people that I watch in the sketchbook area ( its a lot less creepy then it sounds ahah) and you are one of them. What can I say I'm a sucker for anyone with a star wars Avatar. Anywho on to what I came to say.

I see you don't have a day job (not calling you out, just getting my facts straight) So you have at least two jobs that I can see. Teacher and student, ouch. Both can be the hardest jobs in the world depending on whom you work with. Luckily it seems like you are with your favourite person ( YOU!) So remember that all workplaces have to have a positive work environment(Dont get down on yourself, quality mixed with quantity is what you want right now, theres no rush as long as you dont waste time ). What I am getting at is that you seem to be in the middle of these to jobs. Learning and applying in fair amounts (I'm judging this based on what you have posted, hopefully there is more that you haven't) But I think you can do better. Vary the studies more. Make them short and have hundreds of repitions, posemaniacs.com for a while mixed with those life drawing classes.

But I cannot leave without trying to install the importance of LONGGGG studies. Longer than you think you can bear( hopefully you are doing these already). 4-8 hours studies; they can be w.e the heck you want. Your face, a stick, a cup, a master study. But they build patience and rendering skills. They don't have to be everyday, but try as often as you would quick studies. try to walk away with having learned something from purely just observing what you are painting/drawing.

Also I saw your post in another section of the forum about your schedule... I think you need to give yourself a lot more time to do things. Most concept artists spend days on Illus or just the concept it self, and considering now that everything has gone H.D everything has to be VERY detailed. If you take a look at this right here -- (which i bet like me you have MANY times) http://conceptart.org/school/info.shtml
    They do one thing for at least 3 hours. And they build those foundations of art EVERY day. I'm not saying that you aren't ready to be making concepts, i just think that in the long run you will grow much much much faster if you focus mainly on the foundations. Especially anatomy, perspective, and COMPOSTION! (i think this is a bit of a weak spot for you) Sorry if i am being blunt, but I think you're the kind that doesn't need to be pussy footed around.

Now on to a more specific Critic!(Haha I am such a wind bag) The three figure CHOW you did with the dude with the beard.

-Dont cover up what you can't do,(why would you cover the girls face with hair? She should have been the focal point and we need something for our eyes to rest on) fix it until it looks right. Even Wesley Burt had to slowly come off reference too, but learning is the most important thing! Fix it till you make it look right.

- The man with the beard looks a bit feminine because he has a soft brow (if this was on purpose im sorry ) woman are all soft curves in the face where as men (the more rugged/handsome they get) have more sharp angles and harsh bumps. Check out a cave mans brow compared to yours and youll know what im talking about.

In conclusion, I hope I was of some help and didnt offend you. I think your progress so far is amazing and I think youll get exactly where you want to be. Because you have drive, and thats worth its weight in gold.

P.s ,again hope i wasn't too blunt. I really think you are awesome and a much better artist than I am.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Genome For This Useful Post:

Page 10 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1