Art: Mech Sculpt (warning, big DL)
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Mech Sculpt (warning, big DL)

This piece is part of a portfolio I've been working on that, to this point, is based around one story. The portfolio can be seen at this thread:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=126110

The mech would be used in a big bot fighting sport. I made it at about a 1/48th scale. The model is 7.5 inches tall, and the actual mech would be about 30ft.

I glued most if the sculpt to death, but I wanted to leave the top part turnable, which you can see above. To do this I simply glued a nut to the top and a bolt to the bottom. (gorilla glue, even using that I had to reglue it once) Sadly the legs do not move. My engineering is still a bit limited.

This was the original sketch I did before I started. It changed a bit as I went along. Some of that was due to the parts I had accumulated, and part was purposely shifting the design as I worked. Once I was done I realized I got a little too close to ED-209 from Robocop, but oh well.

I started by assembling the bits and pieces I pull out of my many drawers of goodies. Little bits of this and that as you can see. I mashed it all together using hot glue, gorilla glue, and elmers.

I then gave the whole thing an even coat of silver spray paint. I was surprised how well that brought everything together. I then did a series of paint layers and weathering on top of that using acrylic and watercolor. I also added a few more details and pieces as I painted it.

This guy was the final touch. I added him to give the mech some scale. He is about an inch and a half tall(making him 6ft tall when translated). It's the smallest figure I've ever sculpted and I found that I am not destined to create tabletop gaming figures. But I do like that it makes the sculpt feel more sizable.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EndTurn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wow.

I just wanted to comment and say that your work inspired me here. That is awesome that you sculpted something that cool out of household junk. I'm going to go raid my junk drawers now. That is so awesome. I love your last photo too. It makes it look real and HUGE!! I want to see more. Keep up the good work. This is awesome. I can't believe no one has commented yet. Post more man. For sure.

Last edited by Artastic; June 7th, 2008 at 05:43 PM.
    "It is ten percent how you draw, and ninety percent what you draw." - Andrew Loomis

Artastic's Sketchbook

Visit my new username and sketchbook at Thor's Hammer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AWESOME!! And made out of household 'junk'...! OMG,I gotta try this!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very brilliant, makes me want to grab junk and make robots as well!
    love when you place the little driver on top of the mech!

great job, inspiring.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That is so cool!!! I was going to ask how you got all those smooth surfaces out of clay, then I see what you did farther down the page....

Funny how it looks so bad at first, but you paint it, and the familiar shapes become obscured--suddenly, magically, it transforms from a bunch of junk into a sculpture!

Wild. Absolutely wild. Man, did I ever love those old Mechwarrior games....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ha! me and some friends did this too.. It's called Kit-bash, and it's really fun if you buy some cheapo plane models and take pieces from those too!

man, talk about "found art!" this is great! Until I saw the unpainted picture, I thought you made it all yourself or made it from a kit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all of the the feedback guys. Its great to know people are looking. This is the first 100% junk mash up I've done. Its certainly a different process than sculpting with clay. I have used plenty of found objects here and there in my clay pieces before, and always like that aspect of making something into something else, and playing with the scale of objects. I think in the future I'd like to play around with this some more, but maybe use a bit more clay sculpting in addition to it. Which gets trick with plastic in the oven
    I'd love to see what comes out of eveyone's cluttered drawers in the end-

I use to post more a couple years back. I've been a bit scattered art-wise. If you'd like to see some older work you can check out my website:
    http://www.jesseturnbull.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes indeed, i certainly can't take any credit for the kit bashing(although I didn't really use any kits). If you take a look at any behind the scenes stuff from the first star wars trilogy, almost all of the ships and certainly the death star are all kit bashed. Very extensive ones too. The miniature for the death star run is gigantic. its just lots of battleship and tank bits pieced together. There is a really good book out now about the star wars sculpting
    http://www.amazon.com/Sculpting-Gala...2952279&sr=8-1

And if you get a chance to see the traveling Star Wars: Where Science Meets Imagination show, do so. Lots of the original models and full sized pieces. It was really mind blowing for a SW dork.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice job on the mech. It makes me also want to get back to some old fashioned kit bashing. It is good to see some sculpting that uses non traditional materials. If it is going to be a fighting mech it probably needs either some guns or some arm(grapplers).
    Check this out for some more ideas,try the artwork section...
    http://www.mektek.net/forums/index.php

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, i didn't figure out the weapons completely yet. in my basic outline of the mech sport, there are no guns used. it is a spectator sport, so there needed to be something to protect the viewer. the mech's can use projectiles, but they must remain attached to the machine by some sort of tether.if the tether is broken then the attached piece is disabled. they also can't use any combustibles as weapons. so the projectiles need to be launched with hydrolics or something of that nature. so i didn't decide if this guy would shoot anything or not. it does have one definite weapon though. those little cones between its legs are attached to arms(in the design, no so much in the model). they can extend out and grab another mech's arm or leg and grind it between them, pulling the mech in closer as it does this. there would probably be some sort of hydrolic spike or tube that would shoot out of the shoulders to do damage once the opposing mech is close. smashy smashy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great Project I like IT!

Bye

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing use of bitz, love the knees. Congrats for the creativity

maddmaestro is offline conqueror of small fruit and large vegetables Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very cool endturn...if you wanted to add more traditonal sculptin to these might i suggest aves or magic sculpt. self hardens without baking so you wouldn't have to worry about melted plastic, and it adheres to almost any surface. just a thought. this is very cool though. it takes the imagination to a whole 'nother level. reminds me of the things i used to do as a kid. thanks for that.

maddmaestro

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats on a great piece, and also on a well executed photo. It dosn't sound much but spending the time on these details is exactly what stops you from kicking yourself in the head, if something should happen to the model.
    Oh and thanks for reminding me about kitbashing, I've been meaning to do it for years, cheers!!

Put The Kettle On!
    My CA Thread:TM's Cave
    Visit Me:TeaMonsterUK.com
    Contact Me:info@teamonsteruk.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow thats a great scratch built mech,amazingly imaginative to see everyday objects and bits here and there being used this way,i like the photo before you sprayed it silver,it was cool to workout what you used and a big contrast when you see it painted up,the little fellow is a great addition too,great work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mechs! Nice one, make more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by EndTurn View Post
    Thanks for all of the the feedback guys. Its great to know people are looking. This is the first 100% junk mash up I've done. Its certainly a different process than sculpting with clay. I have used plenty of found objects here and there in my clay pieces before, and always like that aspect of making something into something else, and playing with the scale of objects. I think in the future I'd like to play around with this some more, but maybe use a bit more clay sculpting in addition to it. Which gets trick with plastic in the oven
    I'd love to see what comes out of eveyone's cluttered drawers in the end-

I use to post more a couple years back. I've been a bit scattered art-wise. If you'd like to see some older work you can check out my website:
    http://www.jesseturnbull.com
    hahhaha can u please not put any sculptures with metal and plastic junk in the oven, you know what will happen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow!
    awesome!
    and I love how you did the pics for it,
    im going to guess its on car roof?
    the entire thing is very very creative and amazing!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the outdoor pictures were taken on the roof of my aparment. so you go the roof part right at least.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great job!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice! I absolutely love your method in making this guy, I would love to see more in this style

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.