Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks

What is your opinion on anime influenced concept art?

I had some friends that really hated it whenever they saw work that looked like anime. I personally love it when it's done right since I'm an anime fan myself but I can understand the hatred from all the bad fanart on deviantart. I really love http://www.jasonchanart.com/ and his work has an anime influence. I'm just wondering what everyone's opinions are because my style is sort of realistic but I put a lot of anime traits in like the big eyes and bright colored hair.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,595 Times in 1,789 Posts
    I do whatever I think is necessary to get my point across. Classic line, ink and brush, hard-edge, manga/anime influence, abstraction where appropriate, fingerpainting, block printing, typography, a baseball bat on a pile of glass. You (meant in general) don't like it, fuck you. Just don't tell me I'm doing it wrong, or I'll hurt you...real bad...

Last edited by Ilaekae; June 7th, 2008 at 05:05 PM.
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 636 Posts
    Use only that which works, and take it from every place you can find it. - Bruce Lee

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to algenpfleger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tn100 View Post
    I had some friends that really hated it whenever they saw work that looked like anime. I personally love it when it's done right since I'm an anime fan myself but I can understand the hatred from all the bad fanart on deviantart. I really love http://www.jasonchanart.com/ and his work has an anime influence. I'm just wondering what everyone's opinions are because my style is sort of realistic but I put a lot of anime traits in like the big eyes and bright colored hair.
    Anime is simply another style. A lot of people jump on the hate bandwagon because it's a style which is seemingly simple enough so that people can just pick-up (with no prior skills in art) and draw, spawning a lot of bad creators. This makes it very easy for others to plant a bad image of Anime in their heads, bashing the style by sheer reflex. Some hardcore fans are also quite annoying to say the least, but that's for another discussion.

With the right knowledge, it is the same with any other style and, like other styles, can look amazing. Jason Chan is one of those people who can do it very well. It would be very hard to hate on him simply because his art is Anime-influenced.

Just so you know, I was one of those DA guys who would draw horribly done Anime pieces without the knowledge of the basic foundations of art and design . I did it because I liked to do it, and I still like the style enough to incorporate some of the elements into my works. There is nothing wrong with that. That's not to say I'm close to Jason Chan's level, but I'm learnin'.

Thanks
    There's good in every style of art. On the other hand though, there's also a lot of bad examples. I know of many "anime" style artists, and indeed they are excellent at what they do. However, they also show an appreciation for many of the basic fundamental skills in art.

Thanks
    I think you need to get a strong foundation in drawing from life no matter what type of art you like or have a preference for. Every year I end up with one or more students who are only interested in drawing anime and manga. I like to break them of that habit but it's not easy. The ones who've taken my advice and been willing to go back to basics are the ones whose work tends to grow while those that won't listen or try something out of their comfort zone tend to stagnate and in some cases lose interest all together. It sounds harsh but it helps to pinpoint the ones who really have the potential to get to the next level.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    I think it can be really cool when done well but screams "amateur" when done poorly

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Jason Chan, as awesome as he is, cannot beat the almighty Hyung-Tae Kim.

Do you Mentler?

Booting up a new sketchbook.

Thanks
    I don't think he's trying to "beat" him... They're two totally different people with two totally different digs.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Goog View Post
    I don't think he's trying to "beat" him... They're two totally different people with two totally different digs.
    I know. I only mean in the most humorous, good natured and least serious way possible. Promise.

Do you Mentler?

Booting up a new sketchbook.

Thanks
    ^Well, people may find it rude.

Its not anime influence. Its Eastern influence.
    Anything in any style if done ameuture will be poor. If you pursue the eastern style, then pursue it. Focus on making your own style. Learn all the foundation in art and practice them, use them. When the Japanese got the anatomy text from the west they applied it to their art.

I'm not sure if I can say if Jason Chans concept work is has the Eastern influence. Limha Lekan, Falcoon, Gezstar, James Jean ect. Yes.

If you like to do it. Don't let your friends comments stop you. But remember you'll get hired based specifically upon your style. Unless your Jo chen and you versitile.

Last edited by Micaiah Nelson; June 8th, 2008 at 12:15 AM.

Thanks
    ive been into anime since.

man
    like 92?

i dont mind it, or peoples styles influenced by it. but i get tired of that very stereotypical style of anime that seems to be sweeping the world and younger artist.

this very pokemon, inuyashaish style of anime with triangled faced small pointy noses and huge eyes.

i dont care what an individuals style looks like. but people are just copying what they see and they arnt developing style. which is leading to tons of copies.

Thanks
    It's just a style, like every other style out there, there are those that hate it or love it or just don't understand it.

It all comes down to enjoyment and how much you relish your work which is done in that style.

Of course though, in all footnote of doing art, one must understand basics of anatomy, structure and perspective and so on.. so thats where the hate for manga/anime comes from, those people whom keeps drawing in that style without the proper basics.

furry is another story.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2