What is your opinion on anime influenced concept art?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What is your opinion on anime influenced concept art?

I had some friends that really hated it whenever they saw work that looked like anime. I personally love it when it's done right since I'm an anime fan myself but I can understand the hatred from all the bad fanart on deviantart. I really love http://www.jasonchanart.com/ and his work has an anime influence. I'm just wondering what everyone's opinions are because my style is sort of realistic but I put a lot of anime traits in like the big eyes and bright colored hair.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I do whatever I think is necessary to get my point across. Classic line, ink and brush, hard-edge, manga/anime influence, abstraction where appropriate, fingerpainting, block printing, typography, a baseball bat on a pile of glass. You (meant in general) don't like it, fuck you. Just don't tell me I'm doing it wrong, or I'll hurt you...real bad...

Last edited by Ilaekae; June 7th, 2008 at 05:05 PM.
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Use only that which works, and take it from every place you can find it. - Bruce Lee

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to algenpfleger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tn100 View Post
    I had some friends that really hated it whenever they saw work that looked like anime. I personally love it when it's done right since I'm an anime fan myself but I can understand the hatred from all the bad fanart on deviantart. I really love http://www.jasonchanart.com/ and his work has an anime influence. I'm just wondering what everyone's opinions are because my style is sort of realistic but I put a lot of anime traits in like the big eyes and bright colored hair.
    Anime is simply another style. A lot of people jump on the hate bandwagon because it's a style which is seemingly simple enough so that people can just pick-up (with no prior skills in art) and draw, spawning a lot of bad creators. This makes it very easy for others to plant a bad image of Anime in their heads, bashing the style by sheer reflex. Some hardcore fans are also quite annoying to say the least, but that's for another discussion.

With the right knowledge, it is the same with any other style and, like other styles, can look amazing. Jason Chan is one of those people who can do it very well. It would be very hard to hate on him simply because his art is Anime-influenced.

Just so you know, I was one of those DA guys who would draw horribly done Anime pieces without the knowledge of the basic foundations of art and design . I did it because I liked to do it, and I still like the style enough to incorporate some of the elements into my works. There is nothing wrong with that. That's not to say I'm close to Jason Chan's level, but I'm learnin'.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's good in every style of art. On the other hand though, there's also a lot of bad examples. I know of many "anime" style artists, and indeed they are excellent at what they do. However, they also show an appreciation for many of the basic fundamental skills in art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you need to get a strong foundation in drawing from life no matter what type of art you like or have a preference for. Every year I end up with one or more students who are only interested in drawing anime and manga. I like to break them of that habit but it's not easy. The ones who've taken my advice and been willing to go back to basics are the ones whose work tends to grow while those that won't listen or try something out of their comfort zone tend to stagnate and in some cases lose interest all together. It sounds harsh but it helps to pinpoint the ones who really have the potential to get to the next level.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think it can be really cool when done well but screams "amateur" when done poorly

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jason Chan, as awesome as he is, cannot beat the almighty Hyung-Tae Kim.

Do you Mentler?

Booting up a new sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think he's trying to "beat" him... They're two totally different people with two totally different digs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Goog View Post
    I don't think he's trying to "beat" him... They're two totally different people with two totally different digs.
    I know. I only mean in the most humorous, good natured and least serious way possible. Promise.

Do you Mentler?

Booting up a new sketchbook.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^Well, people may find it rude.

Its not anime influence. Its Eastern influence.
    Anything in any style if done ameuture will be poor. If you pursue the eastern style, then pursue it. Focus on making your own style. Learn all the foundation in art and practice them, use them. When the Japanese got the anatomy text from the west they applied it to their art.

I'm not sure if I can say if Jason Chans concept work is has the Eastern influence. Limha Lekan, Falcoon, Gezstar, James Jean ect. Yes.

If you like to do it. Don't let your friends comments stop you. But remember you'll get hired based specifically upon your style. Unless your Jo chen and you versitile.

Last edited by Micaiah Nelson; June 8th, 2008 at 12:15 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ive been into anime since.

man
    like 92?

i dont mind it, or peoples styles influenced by it. but i get tired of that very stereotypical style of anime that seems to be sweeping the world and younger artist.

this very pokemon, inuyashaish style of anime with triangled faced small pointy noses and huge eyes.

i dont care what an individuals style looks like. but people are just copying what they see and they arnt developing style. which is leading to tons of copies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's just a style, like every other style out there, there are those that hate it or love it or just don't understand it.

It all comes down to enjoyment and how much you relish your work which is done in that style.

Of course though, in all footnote of doing art, one must understand basics of anatomy, structure and perspective and so on.. so thats where the hate for manga/anime comes from, those people whom keeps drawing in that style without the proper basics.

furry is another story.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Micaiah, I think you're oversimplifying a bit there. (Or I just missed your point somehow.)

Its not anime influence. Its Eastern influence.
    I do not agree. That's like limiting the term "western influence" only to "impressionistic influence".There's more to eastern art than just anime. (Look here: http://www.startdrawing.org)

When the Japanese got the anatomy text from the west they applied it to their art.
    Japanese knew anatomy just as well as the western artists. There are pretty ancient anatomy books in existence.

furry is another story.
    Even that can be done well, imaginative and interesting. It's more of a genre than a style, though - different story.

I, for one, still can't pin-point what I don't like about alot of anime, despite trying real hard (not just the badly done ones; there's something about the style itself that makes it look unappealing to some people). I really do enjoy recent "rought" eastern animation styles, like the one Studio 4°C has going (Tekkonkinkreet, Mind Game), or the part-naturalistic anime in illustration.

When it comes to concept art - anime is a style. If it fits a project well, why not?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anime-
    Although the term is used in Japan to refer to animation in general, in English usage the term most popularly refers to material originating from Japan, a subset of animation.
    Where not talking about animation or comics but the style itself. Some artist are not from Japan. nor do comics or animation. They have a different term for both in China and Korea! You can call it Chinese influence and use all the reds you want. Just don't say anime. Plus there was a shift in the style as soon as they got the the Anatomy Text from the Western artist through imports.

What was that link for?

Last edited by Micaiah Nelson; June 8th, 2008 at 10:42 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my problem is that a lot of people starting off drawing these days seem to draw anime rather than try and develop their own style, no problem with anime personally but I think its more important to be able to develop your own style rather than merely ape a particular style, and understand that anime is an stylised art form and it is important to understand basic fundamentals such as anatomy etc.

you need to understand the rules before you can bend them.

SKETCHBOOK

"There aren't any shortcuts. You've got to dig in – study and draw the world around you. This is the only way to hone your skill and develop a style that is your own". GREG CAPULLO

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tn100 View Post
    It's just a stylistic choice. People either like it or they don't. The thing you'll notice about every good artists inspired by manga/anime is that they'll have a good grasp of the basics and they can usually go toe-to-toe with so-called "real" artists. That's because anytime you want to exaggerate something you kinda have to know what it originally looked like. That's why whenever I draw I look for real life reference, draw that first and then edit it into my "style." The people who can't do that or won't do that are the ones making the bad fanart.

I'll say this though, most of the folks who don't like manga/anime style art usually can't draw it themselves. It's so "simple" that they can't figure it out, so they call it "stupid." And folks complaining about style kinda seem to forget that everybody gets influenced by some artist and tries to draw like that artist. It's just that nobody thinks copying Frazetta makes you lame, just copying Otomo Katsuhiro.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tomwaits4noman View Post
    my problem is that a lot of people starting off drawing these days seem to draw anime rather than try and develop their own style, no problem with anime personally but I think its more important to be able to develop your own style rather than merely ape a particular style, and understand that anime is an stylised art form and it is important to understand basic fundamentals such as anatomy etc.

you need to understand the rules before you can bend them.
    You really have no prblem. Go throughout the sketchbook section and you'll find many without the basics who don't draw anime. Kids don't really care about coming with their own style. They just wanna draw. They will figure it out if they want a job in this field and they will learn the basics. That goes for all styles of drawing!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Micaiah Nelson For This Useful Post:

JPC

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anime bothers me for 1 reason alone: it is intending on representing humans. And clearly, there is nothing human about eye balls that take up more mass inside the skull then the brain itself.

I think this keeps me from enjoying anime, and keeps me from respecting it as much as I do western style cartoonin. In western cartoons, when the "toon" aspect is introduced there is a pretty clear distinction between reality and cartoon (I'm thinking of Elmer Fud), but anime is so close to realism, that these obvious and intended imperfects drive me crazy.

Perhaps I think it through too much but... I am not a fan of anime influencing western art. Asian art is one thing, but those goddamn huge eyeballs are another.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe people hate it because of the story cliches, stuff like Pokemon are pretty much responsible for this stigma.

I hate anime/manga that uses a lot of cheap tricks to avoid drawing good action scene and expressive posture ().
    Unlike, say, spiderman where you can't really see the facial expression of the hero but it still can conveys a lot of mood from everything else.

Last edited by enrigo; June 9th, 2008 at 05:20 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Anime bothers me for 1 reason alone: it is intending on representing humans. And clearly, there is nothing human about eye balls that take up more mass inside the skull then the brain itself.

I think this keeps me from enjoying anime, and keeps me from respecting it as much as I do western style cartoonin. In western cartoons, when the "toon" aspect is introduced there is a pretty clear distinction between reality and cartoon (I'm thinking of Elmer Fud), but anime is so close to realism, that these obvious and intended imperfects drive me crazy.

Perhaps I think it through too much but... I am not a fan of anime influencing western art. Asian art is one thing, but those goddamn huge eyeballs are another.
    Haha oh man... You sure do look too much into this which why I will explain later from my own opinion, I admit though that I like you're illustrated explanation and it's actually spot on from a realistic eye point. I assume you have also seen pictures of cartoon characters that also have that same illustrated explanation you made? It's quite interesting (yeah I get your point about close the realistic and toon, just curious).

I can understand why there are people that can't find the appeal in it, since it's more of an expressional way of drawing then it's realistic and so the face is made in a very expressional way and the body as well to show emotions clearly. That's how I see it, it's even there from the old japanese paintings that have that way of freely expression against the old european perfect realistic way of painting. It's just a cultural matter I guess.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    My problem with realism is that it's not really all that imaginative or creative. The focus is only on making things look real, not actually coming up with something interesting, different or new. It's usually static and doesn't have a good sense of energy or movement, not to mention that a lot of so-called realistic art work is not even close to being realistic. Anyway, it's kinda like the difference between typical fiction or non fiction vs sci-fi or fantasy. Yeah, the first two could really happen and all, but the last two are usually way more interesting, play on more concepts and usually take the ideas farther than they'd ever go in a typical fiction story.

But it's just like everything else: it's just a style and just a matter of preference. But I guess a lot of the anime/manga hate and trashing of artists inspired by anime/manga has to do with not liking anything unfamiliar.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What I enjoy about Anime is not only the style of art the style of story telling. What I find interesting is that people hate on Anime/Manga style so much, but there are many, many, many American cartoons that are also highly stylized and yet you probably won't get much hate if you are drawing them instead of Japanese counterparts.

It's also pretty funny when really good artists try to mimic anime "here's my attempt to create an anime piece" and it's just a realistic girl with large breasts and pink hair with slightly oversized eyes. THAT'S NOT ANIME. In most cases the eyes in anime are proportionate to the size and shape of the head. Anyway, Anime isn't about differences in the size or color of body parts, it's an entire style of drawing that goes down the the very lines and gestures of the drawing.

There are actually many Anime, and Manga that are very realistically drawn with characters that are not highly stylized with large eyes or extra long limbs, and no characters in the story have wild hair styles... and it's still Anime/Manga, and you can tell the difference just by looking at them. However people that criticize and hate on Anime only seem to see pink haired (or blue haired) girls with large breasts and huge blue eyes. I think they just see what they want to see, and no matter how legitimate the style is they are always going to consider it a lower form of art, even after it finishes taking over the world and influencing every thing in it.

What always fascinated me about Anime-style drawings is the way they are drawn down to the very basic level. It was much more interesting than what I was seeing in American comics at the time and light years ahead of what I was seeing in American Animation at the time. Now for me, it's all about the story. People in Japanese cartoons die, kill each other, have real problems, do drugs, smoke, and are still drawn really awesome... but then this thread isn't really about the differences in American vs Japanese Animation.

In the end people are going to draw what they like to draw, if people are getting interested in art, I don't see what the problem is. If they actually go on to pursue an education in Art I think they have a good shot at becoming a good artist. I think it's mostly non-artists that have the problem with the style because they see it everywhere, doesn't help that a lot of the imported Anime on TV (at least in the US) isn't always the best Anime *cough*Narutard*cough*.

A: Because everybody knows that white is the default race.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Samurai_em For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As long as you completely understand your anatomy. Then feel free to do what you want. Just don't use it as something to rest on. "Its my style etc..."

~JB

29. The Following User Says Thank You to JustinBeckett For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    To me it's fine. Concept art is not just personal style and it couldn't exist without computer games or movies. If they are making computer game with some anime flavor in it and art director wants that then somebody has to paint it .
    Just like Samurai_em in anime I mostly enjoy storytelling. When there is amazing plot, I don't pay so much attention to drawing style.

My problem with realism is that it's not really all that imaginative or creative. The focus is only on making things look real, not actually coming up with something interesting, different or new.
    Look at all amazing professional concept art on this forum. I wouldn't call it non creative. You can put your imagination into costumes, design, mood, narration and many other things. Besides, realistic art can be also slightly stylised and usually is. It's not something stiff.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by pok82 View Post
    My problem with realism is that it's not really all that imaginative or creative. The focus is only on making things look real, not actually coming up with something interesting, different or new. It's usually static and doesn't have a good sense of energy or movement, not to mention that a lot of so-called realistic art work is not even close to being realistic. Anyway, it's kinda like the difference between typical fiction or non fiction vs sci-fi or fantasy. Yeah, the first two could really happen and all, but the last two are usually way more interesting, play on more concepts and usually take the ideas farther than they'd ever go in a typical fiction story.

But it's just like everything else: it's just a style and just a matter of preference. But I guess a lot of the anime/manga hate and trashing of artists inspired by anime/manga has to do with not liking anything unfamiliar.
    Not imaginative or creative? Really? What about all the realistic scifi/fantasy art out there? Or all the realistic concept art? That stuff may be more controlled and more thought out, but hell, when you're trying to make something that will work in 3d, it's a whole lot easier to stick to things that can work in real life. I love stylized art too, and yeah it's pretty much impossible to paint without some stylization happening, but come on. Someone who can make up a fully detailed, realistic scifi character that looks like you might catch them breathing if you just look carefully enough is someone with a hell of a great imagination AND a fuck-ton of skill to be able to bring it to life like that.

33. The Following User Says Thank You to nonie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by nonie View Post
    Not imaginative or creative? Really? What about all the realistic scifi/fantasy art out there? Or all the realistic concept art? That stuff may be more controlled and more thought out, but hell, when you're trying to make something that will work in 3d, it's a whole lot easier to stick to things that can work in real life. I love stylized art too, and yeah it's pretty much impossible to paint without some stylization happening, but come on. Someone who can make up a fully detailed, realistic scifi character that looks like you might catch them breathing if you just look carefully enough is someone with a hell of a great imagination AND a fuck-ton of skill to be able to bring it to life like that.
    That's my point. It takes a hell of a great imagination AND a fuck-ton of skill to be able to bring something like manga/anime that doesn't look real at all to life and make people think that the guy is about to move or breathe or leap off the page. But reading this thread and looking at a lot of the manga/anime hate here it kinda seems like the only way to do that is make sure everything looks real. Any artists who draw in a stylized way aren't "real" artists and don't have "real" skills or "real" talent. They just copy other people's styles and draw badly, as if 90% of the realistic art was full of original, uninfluenced masterpieces.

All I'm saying is most of the comments here on CA about manga/anime are just to trash and bash different styles and artists that realistic artists either don't like or can figure out. That's really great basically say someone sucks because they'd rather draw stylized samurai or girls with pink hair over painting some guy staring out at an airship in a mountain range or cyborg with a dozen eyes and missing half her face. And it's just genius to act like everyone who draws or paints realistically is a pro, but anyone doing stylized work hasn't got an ounce of skill.

You ain't got to like the style, but you do have to diss it or the artists who use it either.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 753 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    But reading this thread and looking at a lot of the manga/anime hate here it kinda seems like the only way to do that is make sure everything looks real.
    Where do you see hate in this thread?

People on CA like different styles but usually those that show some result of artistic growth/evolution behind artist. Realistic art is just the best foundation from which you can grow and branch out.

Last edited by Farvus; June 13th, 2008 at 07:11 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The imaginativeness is probably not so much an issue here that turns people off from manga. Surely there is a lot of fantasy fiction or stylized art that feels totally derivative out there.

I think that the best example of a good manga that still retains a lot of the stylized look is Death Note. Even the feet and toes were drawn with so much character and expressiveness in it that I can't keep my eyes away from it.

Attached Images Attached Images  

37. The Following User Says Thank You to enrigo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think anime is a perfectly acceptable style (if not a little unoriginal). In fact, I like it... when its done by professionals.

part of the stigma attached to anime comes from all the terrible imitations that an upcoming generation of teens/kids are producing. These guys are the generation that grew up on Pokemon/Digimon/YuGiOhMy/Dragonball/Naruto.

Anime and Manga have inspired a lot of people to get into art when they normally wouldn't. This is good and bad. good cuz art is fun. bad because there are now a lot of untalented artists who make crappy looking anime.

You can see these people on DeviantArt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1