Careers in art

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Careers in art

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Careers in art

I'm a high school senior so I need to get deciding what it is I want to go to college for and what I want my career to be.
    But what bothers me is that there isn't really many jobs in art
    I'm in a vocational program for graphic design and I just think that is boring. And being a fine artist isn't very promising money wise. Industrial Design sounds the best, but how many jobs are really out there? I hate animation so motion graphics or anything animation is out. And after that there isn't much out there.

Am I right, or am I missing a big chunk of careers?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,415 Times in 594 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    well, knowing that there's gonna be a big boom of concept artist positions in dallas soon, i think it should be more than fine for the next 5 years, if not more. There's always a job if you show that you work hard at it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Candras View Post
    I'm a high school senior so I need to get deciding what it is I want to go to college for and what I want my career to be.
    But what bothers me is that there isn't really many jobs in art
    I'm in a vocational program for graphic design and I just think that is boring. And being a fine artist isn't very promising money wise. Industrial Design sounds the best, but how many jobs are really out there? I hate animation so motion graphics or anything animation is out. And after that there isn't much out there.

Am I right, or am I missing a big chunk of careers?
    Boring? Money? Job security? Hate animation?

What about going into a profession where you have some sort of passion? Who doesn't want a six figure a year job that's stimulating, will last forever and you have to do minimal work?

You might need to reconsider why you're even thinking about this as a career because the majority of us who do this for a living went into it because we've always had a passion for drawing, coming up with ideas, designing, creating our own little worlds, etc.. The financial pay off is just a side bar to what we really want to do.

When it's 4:30 in the morning and I've still only got a few hours to meet my deadline, trust me that I'm not thinking about how much I'm going to be making- it's about doing the job well and getting it to them promptly. It's about being a pro at this gig. And if it's not me, there are plenty of other immensely talented professionals out there that can smoke me for my job as well.

And this isn't the sort of career where you go into it for a few years, make a few bucks and get out- to the majority of us here, this is a lifelong pursuit. Whether it's working for a company or as a freelancer, we still want to create. Even "retired" artists still paint and draw.

So for you, it might come down to a little more soul searching to figure out what it is you want to do in this field as opposed to looking to see what sort of job security and how much money you can get.

Good luck.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Storyboard Dave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What posesses people to even talk about careers or be interested in this as like, their main thing in life...

what's wrong with just living and breathing and dwelling in supreme ecstasy?

I don't want a fucking career. I want a life and I want to enjoy every moment of it and be intoxicated by life until I beg for death from sheer pleasure.

---- -
    sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Izi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Naomi Ningishzidda View Post
    What posesses people to even talk about careers or be interested in this as like, their main thing in life...

what's wrong with just living and breathing and dwelling in supreme ecstasy?

I don't want a fucking career. I want a life and I want to enjoy every moment of it and be intoxicated by life until I beg for death from sheer pleasure.
    Unfortunately I can't pay back my student loans and take care of my rent with what you're proposing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I guess on a positive note if you're in supreme ecstasy you won't need health care coverage.

Candras,
    There are many different forms of graphic design that are challenging and creative, if all you're doing is page layout than yeah it can get dull quickly, but it may be a place to start.
    Teaching is surprisingly fun, but you've got to have some serious patience. Honestly you're young still so you've got time to experiment with your art and investigate your options.
    Be patient and keep asking questions.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to woodbert For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by WhizBang View Post
    Unfortunately I can't pay back my student loans and take care of my rent with what you're proposing.
    Hold your nose closed and say it aloud, you'll sound more in character...

---- -
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What do you want to do? What do you enjoy doing? If you hate practicing the piano, you probably won't become a competent pianist much less a virtuoso. Passion is what drives people on and gives them the determination to do the hard work and keep striving. If you love painting, the odds are you'll keep doing it, investigating it, and get better and better at it.

The first question is do you have any real passions or interests? Are you in touch with yourself? What sparks your curiosity? What do you enjoy? You need to develop your interests. That will lead you to the kind of work you want to do. There are many ways to contribute to the world and earn a living. Art is only one of them, and is not the right path for everyone.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Maxine Schacker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hold your nose closed and say it aloud, you'll sound more in character...
    At least I've got enough character to go out there to do what I love and be realistic about things.

Candras asked about careers here and you offer up some ether and psychobabble about "breathing and dwelling in supreme ecstasy"? What help was that to anyone? At least see what SB Dave and woodbert have to say about helping out Candras before you start spewing venom about my character. woodbert is spot on when it comes to talking about healthcare coverage and other little essentials about living life responsibly too. There's a business side of living life along with the fun side. Balance the two out is all I'm saying.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WhizBang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you are good enough, there is always going to be work. Also, I wish I could groan Naomi's posts in this thread for the same reasons Whizbang pointed out. Personal philosophy is best left in the lounge.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I want to know how much I'm going to be making so I don't have to live with my mom all of my life. That is a big aspect to look into with any career, it isn't all about the passion.
    And I want a career so I have stablilty in my life, I don't know about you.. but I don't want to worry about if I'm going to have enough money to eat, buy gas, etc.

I like drawing and everything but I couldn't handle the pressures of being a concept artist.

I've been rethinking graphic design, and I realized that I like doing it, just that I hate the teacher and the lack of actual teaching along with the way my class is ran.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Again; if you are good enough, there will always be work, but it's up to you to get good enough- and again again, if you are good enough, you will get paid "enough". It's like most professions. The better you are, the more you charge and the more demand. But if you dont push yourself then nobody wants to come to you, and the few who do only do it because you are cheaper. GD sounds like a great career, especially if you like it, but it seems like it might hurt in the end to NOT do what you love (if you like Concept art more) just because of money or fear of having no job security, which I have a feeling will exist in GD as well.

Just as a more direct answer to your post, if you are GOOD enough, you can easily make more than 50 a year in a studio. You won't have to live with your mom. There are a few freelancers that make 150k a year (but doing most tax stuff eesh). The amount you make is "basically" correlated to your skill level.

Last edited by Justin.; June 7th, 2008 at 07:52 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually, I'm being more than half realistic than most of you, combined. You only just realize what's in front of your face, while I realize whole galaxy every fucking second.

You don't have to live with your mom...it's easy enough to get a job and make a living somehow. That's economics, just knowing how to budget. Being an artist has never entailed avoiding suffering, though. the path of balance requires that you do keep your eyes on what art is really about...otherwise you'll just end up like one of those soulless bastards who goes back to school and becomes a lawyer midlife...

art is unique in that your quality of work goes up with every single ounce of spiritual mastery and practical discipline combined.

do I make myself clear?

there's tons of art jobs lying around, just pick one up....and draw every fucking day

I love art, that's why i'm in it. a real artist will spend every second thinking about it and then some. just draw what you love and find a niche to support it.

get used to the idea that you'll have to work a mundane crap job while you get your skills up to speed. you can prioritize and cut time leaks out of your schedule.

I was a fine artist for years, it's very lucrative, as is graphic design. Candras, if you do what you love, you'll be fine....follow your heart

or as Dante said, follow your star, and to a fair port it shall surely take ye...

vainly, and arrogantly, sure....

N

---- -
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually, I'm being more than half realistic than most of you, combined. You only just realize what's in front of your face, while I realize whole galaxy every fucking second.
    This is BY FAR the most arrogant, smug and ridiculous statement to his this and any of the forums in a long while. Laughable at best.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WhizBang For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been rethinking graphic design, and I realized that I like doing it, just that I hate the teacher and the lack of actual teaching along with the way my class is ran.
    There's going to be pressure with any job but like most, you'll cope. And don't let one bad experience with an uninformed uninspired teacher ruin your aspirations. Look for the successes out there and get inspired there.

Pirate Lord78 is offline You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to agree with WhizBang, you're just not being realistic. I love art, I'm very passionate about it. I don't think it has anything to do with...what was it? Being one with the Galaxy? That's all well and good, you be one with the galaxy, while your doing that, I'll put faith in something I can rely on. Hard facts. So, in ten years from now, I'll have acclimated to the buisness side of art, and subsequently made money, while you stand on the street corner preaching about how us "souless bastards" are making money and that that's bad.

Oh, and dropping the 'f' bomb isn't making your point any more poignant.

Edit: After cooling down a bit I find that I must apologize for coming on so strongly, I just don't like it when people attack other people's opinions. So I am sorry.

My point about the cursing still stands though.

I do still agree with WhizBang though.

Last edited by Pirate Lord78; June 7th, 2008 at 09:04 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like how you justify being mediocre by having a secure middle class income. that's laughable. heehee

You should forget about money and throw yourself into your work....art is life.

indeed, arrogant...didn't I say that?

---- -
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I don't know, I still have a year to decide

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Naomi; Calling yourself arrogant does not make you any less so. Shhh.

Pirate Lord78 is offline You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not quite sure where you're pulling "mediocre" out of, in all probability, it's your ass, but nonetheless you're still being incredibly unrealistic.

And, if what your saying is to be successfull means having mediocre artwork...well just look around on this board, there are plenty of phenominal artists, who make a good living, why? Because they know how to, sure they are just as passionate as you, in all likelihood probably more, but they also have experience in how the world of buisness works. Who, you might ask? Jason Chan, Marko Djurdjevic, and Jason Manley. Just to name a few.

So stop making yourself sound like a fool, and don't say I didn't try to give you the benefit of the doubt, I apologized for my quick retort, but you still started spewing your nonsense anew. You deserve everything you get ma'am.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Pirate Lord78 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I don't know, I still have a year to decide
    Candras,
    You don't want to wait too long if you are intent on higher education as soon as you've finished high school, otherwise, it will become more difficult to secure financial awards or financial aid. Also many people go through years of not knowing what they want to do so don't stress about it too much yet, you find something that you are far more passionate about than art.

Naomi,
    I admire your quest for enlightenment, however, the negativity in your posts suggest that you are on a false path. (I mean this in all honesty).

Good Luck to you both

31. The Following User Says Thank You to woodbert For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Lord78 View Post
    I'm not quite sure where you're pulling "mediocre" out of, in all probability, it's your ass, but nonetheless you're still being incredibly unrealistic.

And, if what your saying is to be successfull means having mediocre artwork...well just look around on this board, there are plenty of phenominal artists, who make a good living, why? Because they know how to, sure they are just as passionate as you, in all likelihood probably more, but they also have experience in how the world of buisness works. Who, you might ask? Jason Chan, Marko Djurdjevic, and Jason Manley. Just to name a few.

So stop making yourself sound like a fool, and don't say I didn't try to give you the benefit of the doubt, I apologized for my quick retort, but you still started spewing your nonsense anew. You deserve everything you get ma'am.
    "I deserve everything I get"

"when you're standing on a street corner"

Misogynist eh?

Name dropper too....cute...I am a successful artist so screw you, fucker.

Business works by sheer drive and pleasure taken in business. It's not driven by money, anyone who focuses on that will fail. Good business moves are based on making waves and driving out the competition through intense application and acceleration.

There's always "money" to go around....what you fail to see beyond your career schtick (which is all mediocre people ever bring to the table) is that art is not ABOUT money, it's not about greed. It's about ART.

Art is a dangerous territory anyways..the "devil" card for instance stands in for the art card in some tarot decks...In the book of the law Aiwass states:

"31. For these fools of men and their woes care not thou at all! They feel little; what is, is balanced by weak joys; but ye are my chosen ones."

(and by and by coming to you, woodbert)

Negative? If that means not being some fluffy new age piece of shit, sure...

I'm a Satanist, so being negative isn't really something I'm concerned about. Transcendence of duality...is.

"11. This shall be your only proof. I forbid argument. Conquer! That is enough. I will make easy to you the abstruction from the ill-ordered house in the Victorious City. Thou shalt thyself convey it with worship, o prophet, though thou likest it not. Thou shalt have danger & trouble. Ra-Hoor-Khu is with thee. Worship me with fire & blood; worship me with swords & with spears. Let the woman be girt with a sword before me: let blood flow to my name. Trample down the Heathen; be upon them, o warrior, I will give you of their flesh to eat!"

- Ra-Hoor-Khuit (aka badass motherfucker)

---- -
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am a successful artist so screw you, fucker.
    You say art is not about money, but you base your success on the fact you can slap a 400 dollar price tag on a drawing. There are artists here who are exponentially better and more passionate than you, but I guess they are still "mediocre" huh?

You are so hypocritical... sheesh. Will you shut up already? You are making the same mistakes you made under your last alias.

Last edited by Justin.; June 9th, 2008 at 01:31 PM.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin. For This Useful Post:

Hai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Candras, I suggest you remain undecided on a major and take an array of classes at maybe a local college? Or if you're accepted at a university or college of your choosing, discuss it with the Counselor. What's great is that, during college, people expect you to "change" your mind. It's sort of hard to say what you like or want to do fresh out of high school. Get the exposure, talk to some Professors and ask them about what they do. You might get hooked on something that is in art, or something totally different.

Your first two years are a good time to decide! If you're certain that you want to go to art, everyone takes the same required and basic courses for every major.

And I leave the rest of you with this quote:

"Being powerful is like being a lady. If you have to tell people you are, you aren't." - Margaret Thatcher

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all don't EVER call me a mysogynist. I find that exceedingly offensive. I don't hate women, I hate pompous, arrogant, people who have an over-inflated sense of self-worth.

Second of all your art is, putting it nicely, sub-par at best so don't delude yourself.

You also have no room to be talking about "new-age shit"
    You were the one talking about "Being one with the galaxy"

And don't take it out on Woodbert, he was quite polite, he respectfully disagreed with you, and then you fly off the handlebar.

I also completely agree with Justin, you're becoming slightly hypocritical as this thread progresses.

And don't flaunt your non-comformist ways, I'm a name dropper? Well here's you spewing all of your religious garbage. Satanist eh? Really, I think you're trying a bit too hard.

I have to stress once again that all of this cursing is excessive and unnecessary. It does nothing to prove your point. It only proves how archaic and uncivilized you are. Everybody please note how I can form a valid argument without resorting to bad language.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Pirate Lord78 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe by successful she meant people are interested in her art, love it, her art found its viewers. That's certainly success as any artist can only dream about. She didn't say anything about money.

And her words are pretty understandable IMO. Love what you do and make it your first priority.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There are many careers an artist can go into. Artists design clothes, costumes, sets, props, characters, storyboards, architecture, furniture, textiles, dishware, jewelry, calligraphy, book covers, record covers, etc. There are many avenues for you to explore if you are willing to investigate.

I worked in animation for about 8 1/2 years as a background artist. It was a great job, I got paid to draw and made a decent living wage. There are many different job categories within animation. Before you dismiss it completely, do a little research. The animation industry employs painters, animators, designers, sculptors, illustrators, and a host of other artists. There's no reason to think that if you do one form of art for a living you can't pursue other forms of art on the side. If you decide you don't like the career you've chosen, you can always learn another form of art. I was a set painter before I changed my career to become an animator.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.