Taking a speedpainting to the next level.. advice?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Mickytk is offline A shy, modest, unassuming rank amateur. Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Taking a speedpainting to the next level.. advice?

Hey, i'm new here

Done a few things in painter since i was first introduced to it about two years ago when i was in an Imaging class run by Patrick Jones, but I've never really amounted to much.

Picked it up again recently and tried to get my hand in with a few speedpaintings...

I thought this one was rather good, so I figured it'd be good to go over it a few more times, adding some detail and whatnot.
    Ive got some ideas about how to approach the fire, and the smoke and clouds... ...but I'm at a total loss when it comes to trees and foliage and the landscape in general.

Wondered if any of you fine artists around here could offer any tips, or advice, or even some critique - i'd really appreciate it!

PS. this is painted from memory.. bushfires almost destroyed the town i was living in about 5 years ago, it was very much like this - fire sweeping over the hills and towards the little town in the valley.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well there is little here at the moment except a colour pallette to really tell the story. Take a look at some photo reference of forests and see what tree tops look like from that sort of height and angle to help you out. You will probably find that you can get away with very loosely suggesting the trees. Then you need to work out that lighting. There is going to be a whole lot of lighting hitting the trees from different angles, and a lot of smoke recieving light and probably a strong atmospheric glow from the smoke and fire.

It would be easier if you had a look at some refs and gave it a go and then got more specific crits.

Nick

2008 - 2009 sketchbook:

Sketchbook

2007 - 2008 sketchbook:

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's all a little too soft. Maybe use a harder edge brush in the areas you want the viewer to focus. Best of luck!

"It's worth the grief." - Greg Manchess

--SSG #46--
    Blaz | MarkWinters | petitemistress | sfa | Shmaba

Sketchbook Website Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    everything is blurry, so you should try to sharpen it a bit. i don't know how to say it or how you should go about doing so. it just doesn't stand out that much.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.