Soul Calibur Fan Art and Original Design

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Soul Calibur Fan Art and Original Design

Hi all,

Was reading a preview of Soul Calibur 4 on IGN and found some awesome concept art for the game, so being bored decided to copy a few of them, then decided to update one of my own characters in said style.

The first 3 girls are straight up copies of artwork from the game and the coloured piece is my own creation (hence right leg being a bit short as noticed when i coloured it!!).

I was a bit confused on how to create the "power up" swooshes, and also how to texture the hair, but i think I did the job not too bad.

Anyway hope you enjoy and let me know what you think!

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    ... Giant... Melons. @_@

But in all seriousness, You should work on anatomy more, other than what I just said before, there are other parts of the body that seem to be out of proportion. There's also the sense of "flatness" coming through with your drawings. You've attempted to shade the shapes of the legs etc in there, make the contrasts a bit stronger to show more of a curve, and make sure the garments actually wrap and twist with the shape of the body parts they are tightly applied to, a keen sense of perspective might be required there.

Thanks
    hey thanks for the reply,

yea they are quite big i know haha, but was just following the trend in the art i was trying to immitate, as you can see from the copies above (i actually included them in this thread as i too thought this)
    Looking at it again I do see quite a bit of obsquirity in the anatomy/pose. I have only been doing life drawing for approximatly 2 years on and off, so am a relative newbie, and i used no reference for the pose.

Again with the colouring I am not too confident with photoshop and it takes me a long time to colour, maybe I am doing it the hard way? (new layer- multipy for each colour, then zoom right in to tidy up) but it takes forever to get it looking decent so to be honest i was being lazy and thought it looked good as it is. If you could maybe post a link to something that could help i'd quite enjoy to look at it.

anyway I appreciate your comments. thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Well, one thing you gotta remember is we all start somewhere! It sounds like you're a little disappointed in yourself in that last reply there: Don't be!!! It's a learning experience and you've just made a crack in the wall that's stopping you from moving forward.

I'm still a novice too but here's a couple recommendations: Don't use Layering effects like Multiply to get the shading down. Feel free to make a new layer if you want, but select the shading colours yourself and then have a go at putting the shading over the top of the image MANUALLY (meaning the layer mode being set to "Normal", not "multiply"). It might take a while but it's a learning experience, once you've coloured as best you can, you can hit ctrl + U to open the Hue + Saturation window, twiddle with the things on there until you get the colour of the shading just right.

What you'd have done there, is attempted to shade it manually, and then checked to see if you made the shading too dark, too light, too saturated, to DEsaturated etc, and then learn to go to bigger or smaller "extremes" the next time you try to shade something. Yeah?

And yes, you can never get enough life drawing research in there! So keep going for it, if you decide to shade a piece using a pencil, then use the direction of the pencil strokes to represent curves in masses etc, or rather *experiment* with doing that, experiment with smudging the shading lines after doing that, see what works better or worse to convey the shape of something. Put the pencil down and go away for a couple minutes to do something else, then look at your pic again (it'll be like seeing it with fresh eyes, errors will stand out more).

It's tough work, but it pays off. And don't worry, I know that Soul Calibur has a tendancy to make body parts more... voluptuous. Keep going, more practice!

Thanks
    VERYMELON

You should look for techniques here and youtube for some digital painting techniques? Youtube has loads of speedies, they're helpful for observing.

Oh wait I have a good basic tutorial around here...somewhere...GOT IT http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi_3HymnpXE

That's a nice, easy-to-follow, basic technique for painting.

I'd scrap that color job you did, and perhaps practice with PS a little more, follow some tuts on here until you feel confident.

Thanks
    I know that they are super melon, but have you seen the artwork from Soul Calibur lately? he's got their boobies spot on!
    Drawing from video game characters is how I started out, and it was good for a little while but you can benefit from some regular ole normal people studies too. Keep it up!

Last edited by Cherri; June 6th, 2008 at 04:09 PM. Reason: gender change!!

Thanks
    hey,

thanks for all the replies, first up to BlightedArt im not dissapointed in myself atall! although it is a bit of a bugger when you realise whats actually wrong with what you've just spent the last 2 or 3 hours doing! haha although thats the whole point of these forums right?, and yes i plan to keep doin life drawing for aslong as I can, hopefully it will help alot with my structure and keep the poses looking good.

Also thanks for the links to the colouring video, obviously it doesnt teach much, but what it does is open my eyes a bit more so i can stear away from my regular painstaking routine of using a layer for each colour, and then having to tidy up each of those layers by hand!! ill be looking more into this and impliment it into my next work.

And lastly thanks for the support Cherri, (although i am a "He" not a "She" lol, but no worries!!) ill try and put up some of my life drawings from the last year or two, only problem is finding a good enough camera to actually get them on here (all A3 size apart from sketch book)

Anyway again thanks for the replies, will keep the comments in mind!

AndyC

Thanks
    Oh my bad.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.