Guild Wars Question

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Guild Wars Question

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Guild Wars Question

I bought the Collector's Edition of Nightfall recently, and with some Googling learned that only Eye of the North requires any of the previous games (as they're not actually expansions). So, I plan to buy that some time and play it as well. I heard Factions was bad, so I'm giving that a miss. But I was wondering, should I play through Prophecies?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    as the first installation, prophecies has a much slower learning curve. the story is a bit convoluted, and not quite as short and sweet as nightfall. the advantages are that there are a heck of a lot of quests to divert yourself with, along with quests that give you free skills. you'll be spending a lot more time not being level 20, but it doesn't really affect the gameplay. also, if you get tired of playing through all 20 missions after some time, you can get run, skipping large portions of the more boring parts.

overall though, it's the game that had me log 1000 hours, compared to a total of 400 among factions/nightfall/eotn (though that's probably not fair, given diminishing interest and all that). anyway, i loved the game and recommend it, especially since it's like...30 bucks now or something

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    prophecies probably has the largest amount of core story elements, so if you're planning on sticking around for guildwars2 it might be a good idea to play through it just so you can have a better idea of what/who the major players are and that sort of thing. Quality wise, Prophecies was good, it wasn't awesome, and it was long. To really get the most out of it you'd have to start a new prophecies character though because jumping in as a lvl 20 Nightfall character you'll have skipped a good portion of the plot already, which kinda sucks.

Eye of the North was INTENDED as a coontinuation of Prophecies, however as far as the story goes it really does stand alone if you're not all that interested in Prophecies. That being said the one great bonus you'd get from buying Prophecies (and even Factions for that matter) is access to all the skills those sets have to offer, which is always a nice thing. Least that's my thoughts

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, it sounds like I may have to give Prophecies a miss. Would reading about the story on Wikipedia give me enough information to know what's going on? Or watching the cut-scenes on YouTube? I want to filter it out to the best experiences, rather than getting absolutely everything I can out of the series (because I play other games and because I need to draw).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah if i you want to save time but just want to know the story you can definitely read up on it here http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Storyline_(Prophecies) there's a lot of good information on the GuildWars wikki that's worth checking out as they give more backstory on certain factions and such that you may have glanced over just playing the game. And yeah, while you probably could watch most of the cutscenes on youtube i dunno how easy it would be to place them in context w/o the mission information to back it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The ONLY GW game I have is Factions. Since I had nothing else to compare it to, I thought it was pretty fun.

O Spirit, whom the Father sent To spread abroad the firmament.
    Oh wind of heaven, by Thy might Save all who dare the eagle's flight.
    And keep them by thy watchful care From every peril in the air. -Navy Hymn

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.