application process of art schools? + ways to raise chances of getting accepted?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Icon application process of art schools? + ways to raise chances of getting accepted?

im applying to various art schools (so far pratt, SVA, MICA, art center) for spring 09 enrollment as a transfer student. i still feel like a newbie when it comes to this whole applying to art school thing, and so far the plan is to just send my application/portfolio and all the other required paperwork, and wait for a reply, just as i did getting into the school i am at now. but im hearing about portfolio review days? interviews?

what should i be doing about this national portfolio day? does it harm me if i cant get to the school itself to have my portfolio reviewed? do art schools interview students that are applying? does it affect any of my chances if i mark "undecided major" on my application? what about the fact that im applying for spring instead of the usual fall quarter?... and uh, just in general, any tips you guys have about getting in

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by rex-craft7 View Post
    what should i be doing about this national portfolio day? does it harm me if i cant get to the school itself to have my portfolio reviewed?
    Not directly, though the feedback on what pieces you should include in your application for that specific school can be useful.

do art schools interview students that are applying?
    Generally, no.

does it affect any of my chances if i mark "undecided major" on my application?
    Proably not, as long as you make it clear in your essay that you have some idea of what you want to do.

what about the fact that im applying for spring instead of the usual fall quarter?
    Possibly, as they will likely have fewer open positions. However, I'm sure you could reapply for fall if necessary.

Last edited by Meloncov; June 2nd, 2008 at 12:42 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    but im hearing about portfolio review days? interviews? what should i be doing about this national portfolio day? does it harm me if i cant get to the school itself to have my portfolio reviewed? do art schools interview students that are applying? does it affect any of my chances if i mark "undecided major" on my application? what about the fact that im applying for spring instead of the usual fall quarter?
    No biggie about the Portfolio Days if you're talking about these guys...

http://portfolioday.net/

They're generally informal sessions on a local campus where you can meet with a litany of OTHER school reps to talk about their programs. You just lug your portfolio over to them and ask for a review. It's more about information gathering for you than anything else. The individual schools will have Admissions people there to talk to you about their school and will look at your portfolio. While I'm sure they'd love to take your application right there on the spot, you're not obligated to sign up, declare any majors, or owe them anything.

I know some students actually go shop their portfolios around to schools they have no intention of going to just to get more opinions on their stuff. It's all about information gathering.

... and uh, just in general, any tips you guys have about getting in
    Just produce 10-15 of your strongest pieces demonstrating your skills. Nothing any less. Any weak pieces in the portfolio will drag down everything else. Most folks will want to know can you draw from observation. Can you also draw the full figure? Can you handle the foundations, fundamentals, and just have an eye for composition and design? Definitely check with the individual schools for their preferences, their process, and deadlines. Get to know who your Admissions counselor is too. It's their responsibility to help you; contrary to rumor- they're not trying to keep you out.

Good luck.

Pirate Lord78 is offline You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Portfolio Day isn't that big of a deal, they only tell you the obvious which is that you need to have direct observation pieces in your portfolio. They don't tell you much of anything, maybe some critiques here and there, most of them you can tell don't want to be there, and are thus asses. Unless you really want to don't, it doesn't really have any factor in you admission.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pirate Lord78 View Post
    Portfolio Day isn't that big of a deal, they only tell you the obvious which is that you need to have direct observation pieces in your portfolio. They don't tell you much of anything, maybe some critiques here and there, most of them you can tell don't want to be there, and are thus asses. Unless you really want to don't, it doesn't really have any factor in you admission.
    While it varies from school to school, I got some good advice. However, they do tend to be annoyingly positive.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Meloncov View Post
    While it varies from school to school, I got some good advice. However, they do tend to be annoyingly positive.
    Maybe some people but not me. When I look at a student's high school portfolio I feel as though I'm obligated to tell them the truth- the good AND the bad. I'm also very upfront and tell them that it's just my professional opinion about their chances of success in our program and in the professional world. I will tell them what they lack in their portfolios as well (mostly solid figure studies) and whether they choose to go to my school or not, it's still meant to tell them the best chances for getting into any art school.

And like opinions and assholes- everyone's got one.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Storyboard Dave For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had a person from SVA rip me a new one when I showed him my portfolio back when I was a junior in high school. Maybe not shred me, but he was honest about things at the Portfolio Day I attended. He wasn't blowing smoke up my backside and was quite frank. Even though I didn't end up going to SVA, it was still motivating and honest.

I wouldn't pin that responsibility on a school per se, I'd attribute it to the individual representative.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not saying it's universal. I've gotten some good critiques at portfolio review days (including from CCS) but they are definitely a minority.

Pirate Lord78 is offline You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's a difference between being frank, and being an ass. The asses groan when you tell them you have more in your portfolio, they act dismissive towards you, and round off their discussion with an "I don't think this is your line of work"

I rather enjoy the frank ones, you know they tell the truth, and you can count on them to not hold back. They are engaging, and you can tell they don't treat you as a necessary evil (or at least openly act like you are). I prefer those ones. (I guess like you Storyboard Dave)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's a difference between being frank, and being an ass. The asses groan when you tell them you have more in your portfolio, they act dismissive towards you, and round off their discussion with an "I don't think this is your line of work"
    Hmm, how much had this dude looked at before you told him there was more? A groan isn't necessary, but it's pretty easy to gauge an artist within a few pages of their portfolio. Also, if "I don't think this is your line of work" is being an "ass"...how would you word that statement to be "frank"?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think you're thinking this through clearly enough. A student that has yet to grow to his/her full potential comes to Portfolio Day looking for constructive criticism, only to have someone say "I don't think this is your line of work," not only has a professional quite literally crushed the student's dream, but the student views this person as someone who knows what they are talking about, and might actually take that comment seriously.

"it's pretty easy to gauge an artist within a few pages of their portfolio."

No, I don't think that's true in this situation. It's pretty easy to gauge an artists skill at the time, within a few pages of their portfolio, not the artist himself. How can one assess a student's potential future, within a few pieces of artwork, within a few minutes of meeting the said student? He knows nothing of the student's drive to succeed. I'd say that taking an art student, honestly looking for constructive criticism so he can learn and improve from it, and telling him "I don't think this is your line of work" qualifies quite wholly as being an ass, not to mention irresponsible.

Also the frank reviewers I'm speaking of will give you the truth and the knowledge for you to improve your art, in short, they will encourage you to be better, not dismiss you immediately.

I hope this has shed some light on my response that you clearly misinterpreted.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So what you meant to say is you think the reviewer should Mr/Ms Optimisim, because I'm certain you can't be insinuating that a reviewer be psychic? That's not necessarily "frank." I don't think you understand that college and jobs are tough, but that a lot of young "artists" think the arts are the easy path. Someone who's just telling you rainbows and sunshine isn't helping. A student could waste a lot of money if they aren't in a major that suits them.

I was trying to get more info from you about the situation anyway. If you brought a comic portfolio to a graphic design dept you'd better believe they'd give pause. If you brought a comic portfolio to an animation dept there might be more to your side then. I wasn't there and didn't see the whole thing go down, so there's only your colored perspective on the matter. In any case, one over-worked reviewer isn't a basis for ALL reviewers.

I'm still trying to get info...You really think the rest of the pages the reviewer didn't see were so vastly different from the best pieces in the front? How would that be some future-peering window to what you would become?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoah, this isn't about me. *laughs* Sorry I didn't make myself clear. This is just an example. The situation is all hypothetical.

All I'm saying is that the reviewer shouldn't shrug off a student. A reviewer should be frank, meaning not hold anything back, but also be encouraging, meaning that they tell the student to work hard(er) and eventually they'll improve (theoretically *laughs*).

And do keep in mind that I've never once said anything of the like of "rainbows and sunshine". So don't misquote me, or put words in my mouth (or in my post). I never said they should be sickeningly sweet or the like, so I'm not quite sure where you got that from. I also never said that they should candy-coat they're review, the only thing I ever said was that they shouldn't dismiss the kid.

I hope I've elaborated enough now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And do keep in mind that I've never once said anything of the like of "rainbows and sunshine". So don't misquote me
    Whut? I didn't say you said that. How is my opinion on reviewer technique "putting words in your mouth"????

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't be petty, you know the way you stated your response it made it sound like I insinuated the fact that reviewers should be like that.

If you're not going to come back with a valid supportive argument, I'm afraid that this conflict has ended. It was fun though, thanks! I'm not being snide either (its hard to convey tone), this really was fun.

I like to argue...In case you were wondering.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.