Sketchbook: Pilgrimage of the Virtuoso Neophyte ::: Hope for a return to Daily Updates:::

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Pilgrimage of the Virtuoso Neophyte ::: Hope for a return to Daily Updates:::

Hello all! After lurking here for about a year now, I decided to post a sketchbook as now I am starting to take this thing called art a lot more serious! I hope to learn and grow like I have seen so many men and women do on this amazing site.

Of course I want crits, comments, and suggestions on what to focus on and all that good stuff.

For my starting upload Im just going to throw everything I have up, then from there it will be just my daily stuff. I am sure you will recognize which ones are the older sketches. I am going to be bold here and show my worst stuff too, how else am I suppose to learn eh?

Please Enjoy!

Here goes nothing......

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by SaintFuse; February 26th, 2011 at 11:21 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Please visit my SB to comment and critique and help me grow!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 913 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great start. Welcome.
    I like how you handle your pens.
    Keep posting.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to a la bapsi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aifolx Thanks for the comment and being my first response! woo!

Here is what I did last night. I picked up a pen/marker sketchbook that doesnt bleed through. I was a little afraid since Im used to drawing on typical textured stuff but I actually really enjoyed drawing on it. I used straight pen and tried to not make any mistakes.

I went for some abstract and mainly wanted to try some "smooth" drawings and try to get a better line.

These are all fairly large, the SB is 7 x 12 so I wanted to fill the pages up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is some more stuff...

I did most of these at lunch time a week ago, trying to fill a page everyday.

The sketchbook is 4 x 6 so these are smaller.

I also did my first still life last night right before bed. My sketchbook was on the table and I got a bowl of cereal then decided to pick up the pen! I was proud of myself for finish it

The small head is my friend, i did a quick doodle of him while talking. Its a little bigger then my thumb.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Watch you proportions. Make sure to look at your images through a mirror to get a fresh perspective on them. Keep goin

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well after much grumbling I decided to start working on some anatomy. These are my first attempts at some Bridgeman anatomy. I am never really sure which path to take, as I still have many issues with my art looking "flat" or "2D" you know things that let me use these """".

Not sure if I should work on perspective or anatomy. Anyone with some tips on a good area I should focus on?

I must say that this Pen/Marker Sketchbook is my new favorite thing to draw on

Oh and some random doodle from last night, I was pretty proud of it felt like I was able to obtain some depth which I know my drawings lack.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got some cool stuff here, but I'dlike to see more studies, things from reference and so on. Right now I'm only seeing a few, and a few more would only be for the good

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well here is my first attempt at a Self Portrait. I did this a week ago, and I did it late at night and drew it in a really weird position so I will not be finishing it but I am going to try a new one soon.

I promise my next one will have the whole face done lol but I wanted to get this one up so I might get some comments or crits on it.

I also used only a small desk lamp behind me, so the left part of my face would have been fairly dark.

Im out of town for the weekend but will promise to have more stuff on Monday for anyone looking!

Thanks as always for spending some time on me and my work!

Last edited by SaintFuse; October 4th, 2008 at 11:22 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I feel ashamed that I havent posted in over a month....

lots of things going on in my life right now and I have been drawing but getting them posted hasnt been a priority.

Here is some new stuff from the past month or so.

Mostly just permanent marker/micron markers on my bleed-proof marker sketchbook.

Really having a hard time getting into drawing from still life or working on my art books. Just drawing abstract and thats not what I should be drawing but honestly the only thing that interests me right now.

Anyone else have that problem? What helps you get on track better?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    back with some more stuff, not much to upload but I just finished my first tone drawing! and it was a lot of fun. I think im going to just cut up a bunch of cardboard and try to do one of these a day. It was a lot of fun and it didnt take me very long. This one wasnt a reference so I am going to do my next one with a reference picture and see how different it turns out.

I started my first large project, at least large in that I only ever sketch so its something new for me.

The wood board is about 2 x 2 and I have a rather intricate story im going to weave on it. Should be a lot of fun, and I will be posting my WIP.

Im using a 2 pencil large to get the idea, then using a mechanical to fine out the lines. I am also using a white pencil to highlight and add some contrast.

Im also going to buy a stand alone scanner as I am having problems with this dopey HP all in one....
    Any comments as always are great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay small update!

I am starting to enjoy my studies again! YAY

I just finishes a few reference faces (just looked on google images) and I actually enjoyed doing them.

I used my Shader tool to try some new things, such as shading in areas of the face before I actually touched the drawing with a pencil. It worked well, or I should say that it felt better.

Once again I apologize for the digital camera pictures, my new scanner wont arrive for a week so forgive me. Its hard to see the pencil and shading I did but I want to let everyone know I am working hard, so until I can scan them again.....

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the quick post, I meant to put this piece in as well but hit the done button :l

Okay so I was looking at some Sketchbooks on CA and noticed this guys technique with hatching and to say the least was very very impressed. So as I am looking at his stuff I decide to doodle and practice doing some hatching myself.

So I guess I can say this is my first real attempt at utilizing it instead of just scratch shading.

so a small doodle on some scratch paper, and I really enjoyed doing it so it turned into this thing....

I used a cd to make the circle just in case anyone was wondering on how large it was.

here is the side by side

OH! and I did my first DSG on CA! It was intense and its great to see so many different views on those crazy topics. I hope to do those as often as possible.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I made a point to do some tone drawings today. I wanted to focus on some human skulls since I still need to focus on anatomy instead of just faces. My goal here was to speed these out and not to focus on the details and just try to get the main skull structure in there and concentrate more on the lighting.

I used a large graphite pencil to draw them, which kinda sucked in a way because i couldnt get the depth of the dark areas very well. Then I just used a paper towel laying around to smooth out the shading.

Its amazing how much I learned from just the first one. Once again forgive me for using a digi camera for these.

Here is the first attempt...

(okay apparently imageshack hates my pics so I had to add em through CA)

I used cardboard since I cant for the life of me find a tone sketchbook...

Can anyone recommend a tone sketchbook with maybe a link to buy one?

Until next time!

Last edited by SaintFuse; September 23rd, 2008 at 07:30 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some great news! I heard from a friend that a local college has monday night nude figure drawing sessions that anyone can just come and be a part of! So yesterday I went to my first figure drawing class! I know im using a lot of these!!! but I dont care!!

I was very very intimidated but after an hour I really got more into it and had so much fun. I showed the 2 teachers my work and they were honestly surprised that I had never taken an art class and it really lifted me up.

Here is my drawings and I would really love some tips for my next time.

Ill post them in order I did them...

#1. First pose was really tough but I wanted to position myself at this angle and see how well I did.

#2. I got much more comfortable on this one and the teacher said this was the best one.

#3. The teacher said 5 minutes left so I quickly ran over and grabbed 2 fine point sharpies and went to a new angle. I like this one although the feet look really bad.

#4. This was the longest pose( laying down with a pillow), and was really hard since they put down a thick blanket and I didnt know how to compensate for that. I started on his face and really couldnt get a feel for the body so I worked much longer on his head.

#5. Laying pose still, I positioned myself behind him so I could look down his body from the head on down. I wish I would have worked faster on this one as I ran out of time...

I need to fill up the pages! I bought this huge sketchbook and went there and as I was doing my stuff I looked around and everyone else was drawing MUCH MUCH larger and really filling the pages out....also need to try out that charcoal *makes mental note*

Oh and it was only $5...probably the best five dollars ive ever spent.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I just finish a rather humorous page.

I wanted to work on some contour so I decided to pose my hand with a lamp to the right and have a go. I tried to only look at the paper once or twice per sketch.

Well I thought I better try some shading and lighting techniques so I did that as well.

Anyways here is the humorous results...

My favorite is the lower right clench fist. My wife walked in and asked a question but I kept at it........and completely forgot the palm lmao. It reminds me of a monster

Last edited by SaintFuse; September 25th, 2008 at 04:32 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the piece you put in post #12 - That pen work is fantastic~!

And thanks for stopping by my SB ^^

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Danuh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well today was a sad art day as I really didnt get any accomplished and I dont feel like I improved on anything.....BOO!

I did finish another contour studies page, but honestly wasnt feeling it today

A page is a page though so here it is

Last edited by SaintFuse; September 25th, 2008 at 04:25 PM.
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahhh Bridgeman

Liking your studies
    Your improving with each drawing!
    Always nice to see, keep posting and welcome! Tho its a little late
    ZE0

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeorymer0015 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay studies for the day!

I looked at the challenge thread and there was a topic on gestures.

So I challenged myself to do 50 of these using posemaniacs random generator. This is the first time ive tried this and hopefully I can get some crits and tips on how to do these better.

Im not sure if I would call these thumbnails as I did them fairly small though (23 one page).

I think its weird how much I enjoy these studies once I actually do them, its the getting to that part thats difficult 0_o

There are fourty 60 second ones and eight 90 second (the dark ones), followed by 2 small 10 second ones.

Also have a WIP reference skull I am working on. Just using pencil and a shader tool on this one.

Oh and I received my new scanner in the mail
    I think that calls for a HOOAH!!!

My Sketchbook

_Acidburn_ is offline practice + devotion + practice = success & self satisfaction
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your stuff is looking better each time fuse. My only suggestion right now would be to work on proportions and form before your work on lighting. Keep up the hard work bud.

Acid-

Please help encourage me to draw/sketch daily and to stop being a lazy pile of dousche!!!! It's way to easy to be lazy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been a little slow on the art this week, hopefully can play some catch-up today.

Last night I had my second figure drawing session. This was a different group then my first session, as people were more talkative and I now understand why the people at the other group branched out and stated their own thing.

Since I learned a lot from my first time (I hope anyways) I was hoping to really focus this time around.....lo and behold it was a lady and a baby! It was very hard since the baby moved around so much and the lady had to adjust constantly to accommodate the baby.

Here is the 3 I was able to do, and once again really need some tips on these and hopefully help me to make these look better

#1. This was a shorter pose, she was laying down with the baby in front of her.

#2. I decided to try a tone one and see what would come out. I only started on the baby before she had to turn the baby around and re-position him. I really messed up on her front leg. *sigh*

#3. Last one was a 45 minutes, once again didnt get to the baby. Was upset with myself for not drawing him once besides the little bit in #2.

On a positive note the last sketch was large! see!

I was also able to spend an hour today doing a Daily Sketch Group Drawing. This is my 3rd time doing these and I am really enjoying how different they are...http://img519.imageshack.us/img519/7840/dsgtd9.jpg

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay just a few pencil drawings for the day.

I know I am suppose to be working on studies, but I am in a robot mood thanks to Mega Man 9 coming out and taking some of my time up.

The Cannon Man is about the size of my thumb. Was going to do more with this one but wasnt feel all that great today so I gave up.

Also did a speedy self portrait today. I keep forgetting to time myself but I think it was around 10 minutes or so.

Im really getting in the mood to try some digital stuff, but the fact that I know very little about Photoshop is keeping me away.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is my work from today.

I was hoping to draw some stills from a movie, and it turns out all my classic spaghetti westerns are packed away at our new place so I had to draw from my friends British tv show The League of Gentlemen. It was interesting because the faces these guys make are pretty funny.

The man dressed up as a woman took about an hour and the other guy took almost 2! I really need to work faster, I dont understand how you guys/gals can draw as fast as you do!

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finished some fruit!

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This was my DSG for today.

Topic was..."WEIRD JET HALFWAY THROUGH ITS MECH-ORGANI-GROWTH-CYCLE IN HUGE VAT"

Here was my entry.

This is the first time I have tried an environment, I honestly am terrible disappointed in it but I think thats because I had no desire to render the terrain any more and it turned out rubbery...

Someday I hope to revisit this one when i get into digital art.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay back from my trip to Arkansas!

Did some drawing of course, not as much as I would have liked but family first eh?

Here are the sketches and most done in the car of all places. Did mostly hatching as its easy to do in a bumpy ride. A small page of still life as well.

Also have 2 DSG I did today here those are as well....

FREAKISH ABOMINATION'S BODY IS MADE UP OF JOINED ANIMALS

DO 5 THUMBNAIL DRAWINGS OF A SINGLE CHARACTER IN VARIOUS POSES

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Did another DSG for today, spent a few hours on it. Mainly just the pose since I kept rearranging the arms.

Didnt use a reference for the pose, would have turned out better if I did but hard to find anything, and I was too lazy to have my wife take a picture of me.

"FORMIDABLE FIGHTER CAN PRODUCE CLUSTERS OF BLADES FROM THE BODY"

Until tomorrow!

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another DSG for today and then tomorrow its on to more studies! I promise....

DSG is simple....."ROBOT CHICKEN"

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Come on, keep up the good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gah! I need to catch up! My wife and I just got moved into our new place and finally got a lot of stuff unpacked and now that things are settling down I can try to keep my daily commitment! I will try to get some more stuff up asap!

I started on a new DSG but didnt like how it was turning out but here it is anyways..

HUMAN HOST'S ALIEN OFF-GROWTH HAS ITS OWN ENVIRONMENTAL "SUIT"

also did the new DSG just finished....really not feeling the art thing today...

FLYING CRAFT'S BASIC LOOK AND MECHANICS ARE BASED ON THE DRAGONFLY

Some speed muscle/torso studies.. a little over 1 minute a piece. Trying to get down that general anatomy as fast as possible.

My Sketchbook

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1