Sketchbook: Sketchbook for the Recently Deceased

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Sketchbook for the Recently Deceased

The name is James, this is my sketchbook.

Recently I have spent a fair amount of time looking through Concept Art and have finally decided it would be invaluable for me join the community and to post a sketchbook.

I am 19 living in Massachusetts, with a bit of free time on my hands since schools out for summer. I am really really interested in Animation so I am looking into possibly attending Ringling's CA program for 2009. I know that I have a long way ahead of me before I have a sweet portfolio that will get me accepted so any critiques on my work would be awesome.

*New image for thumbnail OCT 1st 08*

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by James.C; March 28th, 2009 at 01:40 PM. Reason: updated
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty good figure drawings there!

Check out my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks King Cobra!

So here is something I worked on today. Basically I was fooling around trying to give it some texture and I think it ended up looking pretty sweet, at least in person. I was using an old digital camera so the quality is a tad bit sketchy, I'll probably repost it when I have access to my friends better camera.

Its just charcoal drawn from a live model, any comments or crits would be awesome, thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

June third update ~Please Crit~

So here is some new stuff, a hand study with pencil, which I kind of like.
    Also I posted three gesture drawings taken from one minute live poses, I will try to get some standing poses if possible for next time.

Any crits would be appreciated to the max!

Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *redirected from the ringling thread*

Portfolio-wise I would be surprised if you had a problem getting accepted. Just make sure you don't leave out the other stuff that they say they like to see, things that show your understanding of depth, things like still lifes, landscapy type stuff, and whatnot. The reps always go on and on about that, especially for CA. But like I said, you're longer figures are pretty good and they'll see that.

critique and other-wise your arms in general are looking a little bit wonky especially in your first post. Some are too thin, the others chunky, some both. Most of all they don't flow. Your reddish more rendered one has much better arms they're more accurate and aren't nearly as visually choppy as the others. In general it looks like you're a lot more comfortable with torsos and legs and it shows. I just noticed that all of these are from behind, draw some frontal poses too!

Personally I would advise you to experiment more. There is more than academic figure drawing but it seems to be what everybody stresses over the most. Yes it is important and has its place but take risks. The worst that could happen is you spend twenty minutes making a drawing you don't really like. Big deal. Chances are you'd probably run into a few of those anyways, and when you take chances in your art you might even learn something you didn't even expect to. Best of all if you take different approaches to your subject (and use different mediums as well) you must look and things in different ways and it's by looking at things in new and different ways that lead you to see more overall and come to a better understanding about things. Plus it make the journey more fun.

btw, I like your approach in the very first picture. It's by far the most interesting piece to me and your treatment really complements the pose.

I'll shut up now...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizzybeth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lizzybeth I can not begin to tell you how helpful your critique is, thank you!
    I agree with you on everything you said, thank you for helping me see what isn't really working.

It's funny because as I posted these I realized as well that they were all from behind, I was hoping that no one would notice haha.

I was actually thinking about learning to paint, taking a class or self teaching, now I will definitely pursue that! Currently my paintings are hilarious blotchy messes, I have no idea how to have the paint work for me so I need to learn that.

So next post will be something from the front side of the model, and the creative side of my brain, it's gettin' a little dusty. Eventually I will get some paintings up!

Thanks again Lizzybeth!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your rendering is very nice, but I think it would help to be more careful with the underdrawing. Some of your proportions are seriously wacky.

Also, there are a few points where you have some stuff defined by pretty harsh lines that probably should be defined more subtly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for looking at my sketchbook.
    mm Their butts look weird. I think you make the bodies a bit too long, I was told by my art teacher the body is usually two heads long. Your's are about 2.5 to 3, so try measuring, while you're sketching and see how the body is proportioned to the head.
    But I do like the rawness of your sketches. Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Meloncov and FearSelf thanks so much for the input! I considered your critiques and been working on studying anatomy more recently, so thank you! I am going to try to make the butts look less weird looking too from now on ha ha.

So here is some new work.

The first one is a drawing I finished a while ago but just got around to putting up, wow i just realized it's really blurry.

The second one is my first real painting ever, oil on canvas which was so fun to do. Its just a still life of a skull cast I have, I used the Shawn Barber Foundations Painting DVD as a guide. Wow it is totally awesome, it really helped me get the courage to pick up a brush and paint, which is something that I have always been a bit afraid of trying. I know the anatomy on the skull is very off, but this was more of a test run on how to work with oils and color for the first time.

Any critiques would be very cool.

So now I have fallen in love with painting and I am working on my second. The last image here is a very rough mock-up of what I am working on now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man,

ok first off thank you VERY much for your help. Now; i really like the picture in your second post, the orange(ish) hue really adds to the drawing, so if like in some digi photos i took of my work its an unintentional hue, i really suggest giving it that hue in your scan if ever you send that picture in. I think the only thing that takes away from it is the hair, you need to work on that a little bit....hehe your third picture in your first post has...a bad arm cramp, a little too pentagonish or something like lizzy said great approach in the first picture (i just read her thing right now, she has some good points! *takes notes for himself*) and well, maybe ill see you next year if we're both lucky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey jimbo,

really nice works.. you're pretty adept at figure drawing which will get you far.

I know you are working on it but definitely include some frontal views. Also the only things I saw that you could consider is the calves on some of your drawings are a little off/inconsistent. Also the feet on your second drawing aren't aligned with the floor (looks like he is standing on a slope)

Your skull painting is great, but i think you can go even further with the shadows to really make it pop. It could just be the quality of the photo which i know hardly ever does the original justice.

So yeah, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey james! these are really excellent sketches.
    youve got the whole form down to every single hair line.
    but what im worried is the value and contrast in the shading.
    it seems to have an edge to it, if you know what i mean, would be much appealing if you smooth it out a bit...
    but keep doing what your doing and welcomes to CA

"EVERY GOOD PAINTER PAINTS WHAT HE IS" Jackson Pollock

"I am obsessed with the process of creation" Zdzislaw Beksinski

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    5coop, thanks! I took a look at the guys hair in that one and I totally agree, I just went in and reworked it and added a few extra things as well. And yeah that guy with the arm, he was wearing a weird baggy shirt but it definitely doesn't translate well in the drawing.

aguilas990 hey thanks man! Yea I got some stuff to do with the skull, it doesn't really pop, I am working on another painting with a few skulls now and will definatley consider exagerating the shadows in it.

l0stinth0ughts thank you, I am definatley going to try and push up that contrast as much as I can.

Thanks again guys.

So with the portfolio deadline moving closer for Ringling, I am going to be posting up here far more often, need all of the critiques that I can get. If anyone helps me out with a crit I will do the same back to them. As for now I am away from a scanner/ camera but I got a lot of cool work that I am looking forward to posting. Probably next week.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, this is a great thread! I like the skull, it can use a little contrast though. Also love the sketches!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice portfolio and I see you're trying for Ringling too. Good luck with that and I hope to see more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nele Ooms thanks for the comment! I will definitely make sure to work on the contrast on my next painting.
    Hey MM Howard, thanks and good luck too!

So I decided to post my some of my sketchbook drawings from the last week, had some time off so why not! Crits would be sweet but keep in mind they're just sketches, pretty much all from life too.

Last edited by James.C; September 1st, 2008 at 07:28 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a master study from today. Next week I am starting a new figure drawing class, so I am pumped for that, I hope that I will be able to get a good amount of portfolio pieces from that. So yea next week more figure work, I'm going to try to be a bit experimental with it as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your line work is amazing! From what sketches you have here though, I would recommend that you take time to study proportions.

Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Kek, I will definitely do some more anatomy studies I see what your saying.

Anywho here is a little post I tried out a new place last night for figure drawing, it was nice, but the sesh was a little to short for my liking (an hour and a half). Anyway tried using a china marker for a few of these, all I can say is wow made drawing so much more fun and smooth. Here we go, 5min, 10min, and one 20min which was pretty experimental for me. There are more but I'm almost late for work. Forgive the horrible quality and tiny size, its from my cell phone, I need a digital camera, but you should get the idea!

PS I will have another update within a week, gonna be posting a lot more as I am starting my portfolio work now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heyy thanks for your post! i didnt know you updated! i think i checked the day before you actually updated WELL ANYWAYS i really (REALLY) like your hands study. the two arms stretched out...thats really awesome do more of those! what it is? pencil and white chalk? or is it all carbon?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New Update!

5coop In regards to your comment for the arm one i used a Creatacolor soft Nero pencil, its sort of a crayonish pencil, I don't know hard to explain, but its very smooth. For the white highlights I used a white charcoal pencil. This was all drawn on a piece of chipboard that I get from my job, I think the texture of it adds a lot.

Here is an update it includes some of the work I posted last week, taken from a better camera. I also put some stuff from the figure sesh I attended last night, the model was really cool she had a cowboy hat on half the time, it was a good departure from the norm. My favorite piece in the whole post is the second to last one.

Anyway, I also got a new sketchbook this week, and here are three pages from that. I'm going to try to fill it up and send it off to Cal Arts with my application.

Anyway, I' not sure exactly if anything here is portfolio worthy, except maybe the cowboy hat one, I really like that one. But still any critiques would mean a lot! Thanks in advance!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

uh oh...

Okay, so here is some new stuff, figures from last night. It sort of sucks every time I have the opportunity to draw from a model it's quick poses. I'm really itching to do a two hour pose or something. These are one 15 and two 30's. I missed a figure sesh tonight which is unfortunate but I have a mega paper due on Friday that I need to work on desperately.

I also decided to post my second oil painting, I was working on it a while ago, it kept getting more and more distorted. I think it would be cool if I did a better job on it, but it got uber-frustrating, I sort of want to finish it but I don't have the the time to fix it up.

Anyways, I'm dieing for a crit or two, I know I have a lot to improve on and any help would be fantastic, Ringling's January deadline is coming up pretty quick and I'm sort of freaking out about the portfolio stuff. I want this more than anything.

p.s. Any tips on drawing quick hands and feet, they're pretty much what i have nightmares about.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heyy nice stuff, you seem to be able to catch the curves quite well but i think you should try making your figures less "cartoony" . For your previous post,i actually like the drawing above the cowboy hat one better ad it shows more technical skills and i think you got the proportions down better. Some shading next? keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks again 5coop, ya I took what you said into consideration and actually reworked two of my drawings, just rendered them a bit more.

Those are here, and a few more drawings from tonight and last week. I have been pretty off and on, last week I couldn't get into my drawing flow it was pretty frustrating, but tonight was a good night for life drawing I guess.

This update is pretty scattered but the next one will have some more finished pieces, hopefully taken from a better camera.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi
    You've got some cool life drawing stuff here - I've started it recently myself and can appreicate it a lot more (mine are rubbish ) I'm especially fond of the guy in your second post and your curvy ladies - the 4th down on the above post really catches my eye.

Good luck with your portfolio!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Things starting to look good , like the model drawings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice figure drawings. The best of what I've seen of the Ringling hopefuls.
    Have you worked your way through writing the Ringling essay yet?

Patience is a virtue, but who wants to be virtuous?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the sense of volume your figure drawings despite their relative simplicity. The exaggeration of features and scale is effective, and certainly what Force calls for, but it would probably be worthwhile to slow down and produce some more traditional, purely observational figures.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Finally an update!!

I haven't updated in a while... I'm gonna promise myself to do a lot more posts, especially with portfolio deadlines creeping up.

Oh yea no more jimboslutstien, say hello to James.C

EdrissThank you for checking out my stuff, I really like your work a lot!

flamable Thanks!

lowercase Hey thanks for the good word. I actually just sent in my Ringling app after letting it fester in the corner for a few weeks, I feel so relieved to get it off my shoulders.

Meloncov Ya, exaggeration is fun! I have one more traditional figure that I can finish up and make into a portfolio piece.

Any who, I got a small post today. I have a lot more work, but it's basically more of the same. The class I was going to ended up having the same model three times in the last four weeks, so it hasn't particularly helped me out on my life drawing work.

I'm also working on a sketchbook primarily for CalArts which is driving me crazy, absolutely crazy. That's what I get for starting it 3 weeks before it's due.

So here's something new... Oh yea one night I got to draw from two models at once, it was awesome.

p.s. these aren't a hundred percent done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On the first image, the figure on the left is amazing; it has a level of vitality that is tough to get from a pose. It looks like she's actually doing something, not just sitting there. The figure on the right is less impressive, notably because her arms seem to have melded with her leg.

The second image, while it shows alot of the strengths you have in all your figures, is relatively weak, though perhaps only due to it not being done yet. I can't tell what's going on with her leg, or whether her arm is in front of or behind her breast.

I love the expression on the third piece, but I think you would benefit from more careful underdrawing. The eyes are oddly asymmetrical, and the nose is at a weird angle (line between the nostils is not paralel with the line between the eyes).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.