Game Art and Design or Illustration? (For an aspiring concept artist)

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Game Art and Design or Illustration? (For an aspiring concept artist)

Alright, so I've got a ways to go before I need to come to any major final decisions--at least another two years--but I like to have these things to consider.
    I'm yet another aspiring concept artist--I've just always been enthralled with the idea of creating creature and character concepts in the video game industry. Naturally, I thought that a Game Art and Design program would be the best way to go--until I considered the fact that a good bit of any GAD program is probably going to have to do with the 3D aspect of it, while I'm more interested in the 2D aspect. That being said, however, I prefer to work with Digital mediums (read: Photoshop, Open Canvas, etc...currently saving for Painter X) rather than traditional mediums--I will work with the latter if it is a necessity, but I have yet to develop a liking for painting. I have heard that getting into an Illustration program would be better for aspiring concept artists, but at the same time, I've also heard the opposite side--that it'd still be better to get into a game art and design program. Which would be better, in my situation?
    Also, it'd be great to receive some input on different art schools. Ringling, SCAD, and the Academy of Arts University are my top three considerations right now. Ringling, as I have seen, is highly recommended, especially in Computer Animation--is their Illustration program as highly recommended? With SCAD, I'd probably want to go into Sequential Art as I've heard that's the best way to go for Concept Artists at SCAD (Plus, there's the new Concept Art minor...) and as for Academy of Arts University...well, I've hardly seen it mentioned on this forum, but it seems like a GREAT school--especially their Illustration program, which is what I'd want to go into. It would be especially great to hear any information on AAU, seeing as there does seem to be a lack of input on it. (I'm also curious about their tuition..I can't find it anywhere on their site!)

Anyway, any input whatsoever would be great. Thanks.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It depends on the school. Some GAD programs are basically animation for games, while others are basically illustration for games (and everywhere inbetween). For concept art, you want the latter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I reccomend finding somewhere that will teach you both traditional media as well as digital, they feed off each other. If you want to become great at digital painting, it helps to be able to draw and paint in traditional medias immensely. Talk to students that go to the schools you mentioned, and see what programs they are taking, and more importantly, which teachers and classes they have. A lot of the classes overlap in the first few years, and having the right teachers will really make a difference.

S S G 2 9
    -Fishspawn-Blue Severin- rayk-

You're an artist, not a meat camera. -Elwell

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you're considering Ringling, go Illustration. The GaD major has no plans for including any painting classes as far as I know. The focus is on actual game design and also animation and modeling. In Illustration you will get several painting, figure, figure painting and of course Ill classes, and I assume it's similar at other schools.

As for Ringling's Illustration program, which I'm currently in, It's hard to say really since I don't have any other schools to compare with, and it also really depends on which teachers you get and so on. I will say that it's quite probable that the other schools you mentioned provide a better education, but again I really have no clue.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Severin View Post
    I reccomend finding somewhere that will teach you both traditional media as well as digital, they feed off each other. If you want to become great at digital painting, it helps to be able to draw and paint in traditional medias immensely. Talk to students that go to the schools you mentioned, and see what programs they are taking, and more importantly, which teachers and classes they have. A lot of the classes overlap in the first few years, and having the right teachers will really make a difference.
    From what I've heard, I'll definitely have to take a liking to painting and the like. xD Ahh, it's not so bad. It's really my fault for shunning it this whole time, but I've still got time...

Quote Originally Posted by Zvuv View Post
    If you're considering Ringling, go Illustration. The GaD major has no plans for including any painting classes as far as I know. The focus is on actual game design and also animation and modeling. In Illustration you will get several painting, figure, figure painting and of course Ill classes, and I assume it's similar at other schools.
    Thanks =D Yeah, I've definitely been leaning more heavily towards illustration now, and I'm looking through different illustration (and similar) programs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Azheryn View Post
    (I'm also curious about their tuition..I can't find it anywhere on their site!)
    Considering it takes about 4-5 years to finish for an undergrad degree... its quite expensive. Of course, you could do what one person I know did, take only the courses you need and forget about the degree. And he is working as a concept artist too! Good luck!

http://www.academyart.edu/admissions/tuition_rates.html

Opinions and critiques always welcomed!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arrow Video Game Development or Animations?

I'm having a similar dilemma. I'll be joining SCAD in the fall and during application, I had to choose 3 realms of art I would be interested in (according to preference). I know I've said this before but I went animations, illustration and video game development. Will I have classes related to all 3? Also, is animations a better choice over video game development in terms of courses in SCAD? I hope to be a good animator either way (and also a concept artist) but I was wondering career wise. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arrow

*bump*

Please, anyone?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Azheryn View Post
    Alright, so I've got a ways to go before I need to come to any major final decisions--at least another two years--but I like to have these things to consider.
    I'm yet another aspiring concept artist--I've just always been enthralled with the idea of creating creature and character concepts in the video game industry. Naturally, I thought that a Game Art and Design program would be the best way to go--until I considered the fact that a good bit of any GAD program is probably going to have to do with the 3D aspect of it, while I'm more interested in the 2D aspect. That being said, however, I prefer to work with Digital mediums (read: Photoshop, Open Canvas, etc...currently saving for Painter X) rather than traditional mediums--I will work with the latter if it is a necessity, but I have yet to develop a liking for painting. I have heard that getting into an Illustration program would be better for aspiring concept artists, but at the same time, I've also heard the opposite side--that it'd still be better to get into a game art and design program. Which would be better, in my situation?
    Also, it'd be great to receive some input on different art schools. Ringling, SCAD, and the Academy of Arts University are my top three considerations right now. Ringling, as I have seen, is highly recommended, especially in Computer Animation--is their Illustration program as highly recommended? With SCAD, I'd probably want to go into Sequential Art as I've heard that's the best way to go for Concept Artists at SCAD (Plus, there's the new Concept Art minor...) and as for Academy of Arts University...well, I've hardly seen it mentioned on this forum, but it seems like a GREAT school--especially their Illustration program, which is what I'd want to go into. It would be especially great to hear any information on AAU, seeing as there does seem to be a lack of input on it. (I'm also curious about their tuition..I can't find it anywhere on their site!)

Anyway, any input whatsoever would be great. Thanks.
    I'm in the same situation as you are, my friend.

I'll be doing a Bachelor degree next year hopefully, and I have a few options to choose from. I want to become a concept artist/digital painter or anything close to that and work in the gaming industry, if I can, as an artist. I haven't stepped into the world of 3d art yet so I don't know what it's like, it's a world of its own from what I know.

But I'm also in the dilemma of which course to choose. Would doing a games course (The course's full name is "Bachelor of Art - Digital Art" course details here.) be better or would a fine art/visual art course specializing in drawing/painting be better? Because it's the art skill that counts, right?

I need help D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If painting is well taught, it will make sense and may even be addicting! Get a copy of Hawthorne On Painting, and don't try to make paintings - see your work as exercises, like practicing scales at the piano.

You'll need a combo of traditional representational fine art, illustration, and concept specific skills. I think we offer one of the few programs designed to prepare students for concept art. If you can't find one close to you and don't want to leave your area, you may be better of taking specific courses in a variety of programs. I understand that Jason Manley did this. He's obviously very talented, has worked very hard, and was smart enough to go after the knowledge and skills he needed rather than a degree from a specific program.

Members who have read this thread: 1