Any awkward moments sketching out in the open world? - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Thread: Any awkward moments sketching out in the open world?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nothing really bad, but during my school assembly I started sketching one of my friend's friends, sort of an acquaintance thing. So I'm drawing the side of her face and her mouth is half open so I'm having a little trouble with the top lip in relation to the bottom so I was probably looking intense or mad. My friend, who is also an artist, looks over and is like, "Who's that?" I blush a little since it was almost done and *I* thought it looked like her, I felt kind of sad then. =/ I told her who it was and the girl sat really still for me so I could finish. (She had a really well formed nose and piercing that was fun to draw!)

Also I was sketching profiles during study hall of the kids at my table and this girl saw me, she would look up, laugh and smile and then go back to her work while holding really still, it was nice of her. I was also sketching kids at other tables and I was quick-glancing them, maybe too quickly because this one girl met my eyes and I spazzed and never looked up again.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    at nycc last year, a girl came up to our table and requested a portrait on a sketch card. she then preceeded to stand towering over me completely stone faced as i sketched her. i usually dont have any problems drawing in public but for some reason i felt intimidated.
    in the end, she liked it and thought it was a good enough likeness...but still a weird experience.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've never really had an awkward moment but in my classroom I am always terrified of drawing people incase they are unimpressed with the picture I draw or if they think I'm really creepy D:
    Welp, thats my school for you.

"How'd you like them apples?"

->Sketchbook <-

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had a very sweet moment once when I sketched an elderly man in Italy.

My family was on vacation in Caorle, and we sat in a café and drank a cappuchino, and I - as always - sketched the people around us.
    And then there was this very sweet old guy, who noticed that I drew him, and obviously tried to stay as still as possible so I could draw him properly.

When we left, my sister convinced me to show the sketch to the old man, and so I did.
    First he smiled, and then he pointed to another sketch I drew of a quite... obese german tourist, and gestured if this was him, and we both laughed.
    He then nodded and said "Complimento!"

That was a really nice experience.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't done many sketches outside of the house, but when I do I am normally with a friend. In some cases, this same friend will inform the people I am drawing them and they will completely change their pose or even get up and talk to me -- which only makes things more difficult.

I wish I had more of a story to share, but this thread makes me want to do some more often. This is a good thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't done a whole lot of life drawings (I just got my license so I'll be doing more soon), but most of the colleges I'm looking at are kinda far away, so I usually have time after the visit to draw, plus the mall near my school is a really awesome place to draw.

Most of you are complaining about people coming up and talking to you, but thats part of what makes drawing in public rewarding. Usually I'm hearing about my drawings from my dad, my classmates, and my art teacher, so hearing criticism from other people is really interesting. Plus some of them are just really cool to talk to.

One guy was a bomber pilot, who told me this really awesome story about how he ran out of fuel on the way to a target, and had to drop his payload half way, and turn around. The rest of his squadron kept going and bombed the intended target. When they got back, everyone else had hit the decoy, and only he had hit the actual target. Think he said it was in Vietnam, but I could be wrong. He was pretty old.

------------
    SKETCHBOOK
    NEW BLOG

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Taroan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really old thread..we don't even know if the person who made this thread is even on conceptArt.org any more lol just saying lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This one day, I was sketching in a coffe house and you had to buy something to sit in there, So I bought a cookie. It was a tiny cookie and I think I made it last for about an hour, haha. I could see that the people working there wanted me to leave... haha

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't done very many yet... My first goofy mishap was going out to a park to sketch trees and other natural occurring clutter for a class assignment. I was so discombobulated about it that I forgot to close the door o my car all the way.
    Few hours later, I pack, try to start the car, and... battery is dead. Hubby had to come out to jump start the car and get me. I'll never hear the end of that one.

The limited time sketching people, I actually like it when someone is looking over my shoulder or wanting to talk. I'm always so damn critical of my stuff, that an occasional compliment can feel very encouraging.

Sometimes unsuspecting people have noticed me sketching them, got uncomfortable and moved off.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Drawing a sleeping lady on the train. She woke up and noticed me intently staring at her, but she was too tired to do anything about it. She woke up about three more times to get a gimps of me sketching her only to fall into a deep sleep once again.

I sorta felt like I was violating her, or taking advantage of her.

Immoral Cintiq's Sketchbook

"Society will DRAW a circle that shuts me out, but my superior thoughts will DRAW me in." -Marva Collins

"Character is what you know you are not what others think you are." -Marva Collins

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Immortal Cintiq For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Always good to see this thread revived.

Not really an awkward experience but a really good feeling one.

I was at the airport waiting fro my flight from Nanjing to Hong Kong and there was a little girl that I was sketching. She saw me sketching her and rushed over and pointed to my drawing. Me, not being the best at understanding Mandarin, translated that to "who's that". I pointed to her and said "you" and she responded in English with a "oh my god".

I teared the sketch out and gave it to her. One of the best feelings I'd ever gotten from art.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to skMOP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome thread, I've been laughing my head off and getting pretty inspired by some of the comments here! These aren't nearly as funny as most the stories here, but I got a few. I was doing caricatures for a little 4 hour festival thing my church was hosting a month ago and it wound up being a lot more tiring than I thought. I felt like a lot of the caricatures I drew were pretty good, but I had some screw ups.

1. There was a family who wanted me to draw their two little daughters in the same picture, so it was hard to find a good spot on the paper for them. I wound up drawing the older one near the center so the younger one wound up really squished in the bottom corner of the frame. She looked totally deformed! I felt really bad for making her look so awkward, luckily the parents wanted me to draw them again so both of the girls would get one, and I think I screwed it up the exact same way! Scary thing was I couldn't tell what the parents thought at all, I was always thinking people were secretly mad at me but didn't want to complain since the caricatures were free.

2. There was this rather chubby kid who had this super intense stare. With every drawing I made when I finished the pencil sketch I turned it around to show the sitter, and they would always be really happy or say how they liked it or laugh or some emotional reaction. This kid just nodded like a secret agent giving a signal. Most serious 12 year old ever. He kind of scared me.

3. One guy wanted to give me a tip, so he went back to his car. A while later he came back, but there was a bit of a line so I took quite a while to talk to him again once he got back. I feel like he got sick of waiting and lowered the tip for every minute he waited, because it was just $1!

4. Like I said by the end of the event I was really tired and cold and my drawings were starting to look like crap. I accidentally made the second to last kid way too fat and I think the drawing made him sad. Then after the last drawing I gave the final to the kid and he just said "no." "no?" "that doesn't look like me!" And it totally didn't look like him, but I was way too tired to redo it so I just left. It was pretty embarrassing.

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5

Members who have read this thread: 4