Sketchbook: One year after last post. Drink that beer.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: One year after last post. Drink that beer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

One year after last post. Drink that beer.

Good day everyone, or night. I've been lurking on this site for some time and finally decided to post something. This is more for me pushing my procrastinating ass, because once I go into something I kinda have to go with it.
    Harsh critiques are welcome, I got some pretty thick skin. So tear this sketchbook to shit please. This was done with a reference I got from google somewhere, I'm sure you can find if it you just google joker, easy enough. Did this little dodaddy during work. Took about an hour and a half with all of the hiding it and what not.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    anybody got any critique at all?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Newerish stuff

Here's some more shit from the sb, it's from a drink and draw thing that me and some friends do once a week, and a back study for good measure, should probably throw more of those in the sb more often then not. So destroy these, especially all of the terrible anatomy errors, currently working on that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just got back from drink and draw tonight and it was a pretty interesting topic. Since we all came under the same conclusion that the way Steve Irwin went out fuckin sucked, we decided to send him off in our own fashion. I'll post later.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is an idea that I've had pulling at my brain for a week or so. I got a lot of work to, not really sure what else to do to the hat type thing, I want him to be a priest or pope of some sort from some time in the future, hence the tubing coming from the hat, you may not be able to see due to the awesomeness of the might blue pencil, seriously those things are fucking awesome. If anyone has any idea how to convey religion in this subtly let me know cuz I'm at a los for right now. Thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There is a collar that didn't show up, damnit, oh well use your imagination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice to see you got a sketchbook going. You've been doing a great job keeping it updated.

Some thoughts:

-The Joker piece would have to be one of my favorites. I think the omission of the implied hat was a great touch. Perhaps you'd want to explore that stylistic technique a little further in future pieces. As for critique, the form of the nose doesn't read too well and the eyes feel very 'cartoony.' This may be the result of rendering the piece too quickly. Try to take your time when rendering the different values so it flows together better. The inside of the mouth and the lips are the same dark value, which doesn't seem to fit too well. If your using a color reference, then try converting the image to grayscale in photoshop first.

-The back study is a great start. I think that you should devote more time to doing many studies. Try to make it a routine. If you haven't done any life studies yet, then you might want to consider looking into that.

-The t-rex piece has some construction issues. For example, the belt loops in the pants should probably be pointing in the same direction given this viewing angle. As of now the loops make it seem that the pants are caving inward at the top. Try to establish the character's mass better. I feel that by planting his right foot, the floor would read better and he wouldn't seem like he's about to topple over. Try to take perspective into better account when rendering these: The curvature of the collar and the hole in the pants doesn't seem in match the implied placement of the viewer. You might want to give the character more room from the wall with the door, for as of now it appears that he's digging into that wall. Try to account for the amount of 3-dimensional space the character would take up.

-The eyeball feels very rushed. The iris also seems to be unnaturally large. Try to use references as much as possible early on so that you can create and internal storage of reference images. There are also some anatomical issues such as the tear coming out of the iris, which I feel detracts from the piece.

-The pirate is one of your better pieces. He has a lot of personality if you get what I mean. Unlike your other pieces, this one has the most successful background. It's minimalistic, but it gives a great sense of setting.

-With the pope piece, watch out for the size of the eyes. As of now they seem to be quite massive. Also, the wrinkles in his crow's feet don't feel too anatomically correct. Again, drawing from a reference would be ideal at this stage.

Sometimes the community is slow at giving feedback (there are many members on this site). Be patient, keep at it, and the feedback will come. Try to incorporate more life studies into your schedule - they will prove to be valuable in the long run.

Keep up the great work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with all of the above. The reason they probably looked rushed is they really are rushed. Part of our drink and draw is 2 hour limit and absolutely no references, and it sucks something fierce. We're doing it to try to push our brains a little further, as for face references for wrinkles, IF ANYONE KNOWS WHERE THEY CAN BE FOUND I would love it, I can't find jack shit. I'm giving myself a week to finish they pope and then I'm stopping it, kind of a time limit for me, and then on to the next. Thanks for the crit havoc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Long time, new posts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well it's been a few since I've last posted, I only blame myself. I'm doing a lot of studies from Hogarth's Dynamic Figure Drawing, that guy really new his shit. It's difficult re-training from habitual drawing methods. I have good bit of studies and doodles to upload later tomorrow, plus some gesture drawings from the figure drawing class tonight. Well, if you have anything good to say don't be afraid. Especially with the life drawings, the few that there actually are.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,339 Times in 1,204 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like the life drawings. You might want to concentrate on the knees and thighs next time, they look a little odd in the life drawings.

Personally, I like the dinosaur. I don't think his collar and buttons look right, though. His neck has turned, but his body hasn't, so the collar might be turned towards us somewhat but the buttons wouldn't be pulled over to the side that much. I think they'd be more centered between his arms.

Anyway, keep drawing! It's not easy to dress a dinosaur and this was a good start.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

12. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree, the life drawings are quick 2-3 minute gesture drawings. My teacher told me that my actual figure drawings were to stiff and recommended doing gesture drawings for a few months to rework my brain. So I do that and like usualy I forego certain parts of the anatomy, currently working on breaking that habit. Thanks for the comment man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Out of all here I like that torso with no head or lower legs, it's got a certain something to it. Maybe it's the darkness of the pencil but it definelty has a nice quality to it. The pig's really good as well, nice bit of perspective.

You mentioned you really like Hogarth, I'd been studying his work for a while but it somehow made me define muscles in every body I drew. Great to learn where everything goes, just made all my figures look like something out of Hellraiser. Just my own opinion, no reason to hold back studying from him.

Keep up the good work.

My Site

Sketchbook - Crits and opinions needed and welcomed

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, he definately exaggerates the muscles in the human figure, but it does help you think about building the form a little better. I guess the logical thing to do is after you learn where they go mold them into the shape that you want them to, atleast thats what I'm trying frustratingly do. Anyway thanks for the comment, take it easy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something I did yesterday. Thinking about taking into photoshop to do a greyscale study. Let me know what you guys think/see that needs changing before I attempt the study. Thanks.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well I decided to attempt my first digital painting ever. Decided I would do greyscale since I have no fucking clue about color. The edges around the pig are pretty hard and abrasive, dont' know what else I can do with that. Thru in random blah background for some damn reason and this is the end result. This took about 2.5 hours, I think, I could be wrong. Let me know if you got some constructive criticism or neat photoshop tricks to help me out, I would truly appreciate it. NOW ON TO THE DRINKING!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the pig!!
    Wicked - i can def. see an improvement! keep it up bro.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Diabolique For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks alot man, I was pretty stoked that I pulled this out my ass.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lovin the humor here. your headed in the right direction, the life drawing stuff looks really nice. keep it up =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by neolite View Post
    Good day everyone, or night. I've been lurking on this site for some time and finally decided to post something. This is more for me pushing my procrastinating ass, because once I go into something I kinda have to go with it.
    Harsh critiques are welcome, I got some pretty thick skin. So tear this sketchbook to shit please. This was done with a reference I got from google somewhere, I'm sure you can find if it you just google joker, easy enough. Did this little dodaddy during work. Took about an hour and a half with all of the hiding it and what not.
    This looks a lot like the picture of the joker I have on my sketchbook page, except I tried to emphasize line rather than values.
    Looks sweet, mang.

Oh and btw if it is the same pick you can find it on the back of the VHS :]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also, you have some amazing pencil work.
    I think bringing a picture to life with a pencil or concept sketch is one of the most amazing art forms.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Ty Oulton For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yep, I just visitid you SB and I believe it is the same picture. I got pretty bored at work and googled the joker and this is the one that came up first. That was earlier this year when I was just getting back into drawing from a 5 year hiatus with Uncle Sam. Thankfully a hang out with a bunch of artist types so now the passion to draw has gotten a hell of a long stronger. So I'm definately trying to make a strong foundation with the pencil and anatomy before I attempt any kind of conceptual art. THanks for the comments, keep em' coming!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two newer ones. Quick note, the paper that I use is regular printer paper, it already has shit on it so thats why you may see some strange lines and letters in there, I do these at work when I feel like getting frisky with the pencil. First one is Patrick Bateman from Amercian Pyscho, reference found on google. The second one is some sort of devil lady, several anatomical errors are present, I used no reference for it. Hit me with what you got.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some anatomy studies in my moleskine. Going to make this an everyday thing until my brain becomes mush.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More anatomy studies. Going to at least fill up two pages a day of this shit, hopefully some of this will stick and be useful one day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the sketches you posted in the #9.
    Line seems more confidential, shadows are good, proportions improved.
    Good work!

I have a sketchbook!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to alicelefay For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I figure that if I draw enough of reference and anatomy then I shouldn't have any problems with drawing the body in different positions. I also think that this should improve my linework and my somewhat ability to shade and define mass.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff going on here

I really like the last few pieces, there is some definite improvement going on.

You're so right about using reference to draw too, it helps so much. I keep getting frustrated that I can't draw whats in my brain, and have it look good. Honestly, I think its just a lack of knowledge and experience. So drawing from reference allows you to not have to worry as much about anatomy and proper proportions, since its right in front of you, and allows you to concentrate on linework and rendering...like you said

So keep on studying!! Great progress so far!

33. The Following User Says Thank You to retardedmonkey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes...references can help; and then, I imagine that after an insane amount of drawing from reference your brain will learn and memorize and you will be able to draw from imagination...at least, I hope so...it's the same problem I have! :p

I have a sketchbook!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 516 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Doing those "Construction" forms in your life drawings is a really good way to go. The more you do the more fluid you'll get with it but breaking down those shapes as a gesture is something you'll use forever. I thought that your octopus was a good idea also. If you're going to look to pull off the figure without reference give your self plenty of time, don't get frustrated if it doesn't happen in a couple hours, I've spent weeks getting invented figures to be presentable, but learned a lot in that process. Good start to your thread. Good Luck with your drawing, and in '09!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1