Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: One year after last post. Drink that beer.

Thanks

One year after last post. Drink that beer.

Good day everyone, or night. I've been lurking on this site for some time and finally decided to post something. This is more for me pushing my procrastinating ass, because once I go into something I kinda have to go with it.
    Harsh critiques are welcome, I got some pretty thick skin. So tear this sketchbook to shit please. This was done with a reference I got from google somewhere, I'm sure you can find if it you just google joker, easy enough. Did this little dodaddy during work. Took about an hour and a half with all of the hiding it and what not.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    anybody got any critique at all?

Thanks

Newerish stuff

Here's some more shit from the sb, it's from a drink and draw thing that me and some friends do once a week, and a back study for good measure, should probably throw more of those in the sb more often then not. So destroy these, especially all of the terrible anatomy errors, currently working on that.

Thanks
    Just got back from drink and draw tonight and it was a pretty interesting topic. Since we all came under the same conclusion that the way Steve Irwin went out fuckin sucked, we decided to send him off in our own fashion. I'll post later.

Thanks
    This is an idea that I've had pulling at my brain for a week or so. I got a lot of work to, not really sure what else to do to the hat type thing, I want him to be a priest or pope of some sort from some time in the future, hence the tubing coming from the hat, you may not be able to see due to the awesomeness of the might blue pencil, seriously those things are fucking awesome. If anyone has any idea how to convey religion in this subtly let me know cuz I'm at a los for right now. Thanks

Thanks
    There is a collar that didn't show up, damnit, oh well use your imagination.

Thanks
    Nice to see you got a sketchbook going. You've been doing a great job keeping it updated.

Some thoughts:

-The Joker piece would have to be one of my favorites. I think the omission of the implied hat was a great touch. Perhaps you'd want to explore that stylistic technique a little further in future pieces. As for critique, the form of the nose doesn't read too well and the eyes feel very 'cartoony.' This may be the result of rendering the piece too quickly. Try to take your time when rendering the different values so it flows together better. The inside of the mouth and the lips are the same dark value, which doesn't seem to fit too well. If your using a color reference, then try converting the image to grayscale in photoshop first.

-The back study is a great start. I think that you should devote more time to doing many studies. Try to make it a routine. If you haven't done any life studies yet, then you might want to consider looking into that.

-The t-rex piece has some construction issues. For example, the belt loops in the pants should probably be pointing in the same direction given this viewing angle. As of now the loops make it seem that the pants are caving inward at the top. Try to establish the character's mass better. I feel that by planting his right foot, the floor would read better and he wouldn't seem like he's about to topple over. Try to take perspective into better account when rendering these: The curvature of the collar and the hole in the pants doesn't seem in match the implied placement of the viewer. You might want to give the character more room from the wall with the door, for as of now it appears that he's digging into that wall. Try to account for the amount of 3-dimensional space the character would take up.

-The eyeball feels very rushed. The iris also seems to be unnaturally large. Try to use references as much as possible early on so that you can create and internal storage of reference images. There are also some anatomical issues such as the tear coming out of the iris, which I feel detracts from the piece.

-The pirate is one of your better pieces. He has a lot of personality if you get what I mean. Unlike your other pieces, this one has the most successful background. It's minimalistic, but it gives a great sense of setting.

-With the pope piece, watch out for the size of the eyes. As of now they seem to be quite massive. Also, the wrinkles in his crow's feet don't feel too anatomically correct. Again, drawing from a reference would be ideal at this stage.

Sometimes the community is slow at giving feedback (there are many members on this site). Be patient, keep at it, and the feedback will come. Try to incorporate more life studies into your schedule - they will prove to be valuable in the long run.

Keep up the great work

Thanks
    I agree with all of the above. The reason they probably looked rushed is they really are rushed. Part of our drink and draw is 2 hour limit and absolutely no references, and it sucks something fierce. We're doing it to try to push our brains a little further, as for face references for wrinkles, IF ANYONE KNOWS WHERE THEY CAN BE FOUND I would love it, I can't find jack shit. I'm giving myself a week to finish they pope and then I'm stopping it, kind of a time limit for me, and then on to the next. Thanks for the crit havoc.

Thanks
    Long time, new posts.

Thanks
    Well it's been a few since I've last posted, I only blame myself. I'm doing a lot of studies from Hogarth's Dynamic Figure Drawing, that guy really new his shit. It's difficult re-training from habitual drawing methods. I have good bit of studies and doodles to upload later tomorrow, plus some gesture drawings from the figure drawing class tonight. Well, if you have anything good to say don't be afraid. Especially with the life drawings, the few that there actually are.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,211 Posts
    I like the life drawings. You might want to concentrate on the knees and thighs next time, they look a little odd in the life drawings.

Personally, I like the dinosaur. I don't think his collar and buttons look right, though. His neck has turned, but his body hasn't, so the collar might be turned towards us somewhat but the buttons wouldn't be pulled over to the side that much. I think they'd be more centered between his arms.

Anyway, keep drawing! It's not easy to dress a dinosaur and this was a good start.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

13. The Following User Says Thank You to vineris For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I agree, the life drawings are quick 2-3 minute gesture drawings. My teacher told me that my actual figure drawings were to stiff and recommended doing gesture drawings for a few months to rework my brain. So I do that and like usualy I forego certain parts of the anatomy, currently working on breaking that habit. Thanks for the comment man.

Thanks
    Out of all here I like that torso with no head or lower legs, it's got a certain something to it. Maybe it's the darkness of the pencil but it definelty has a nice quality to it. The pig's really good as well, nice bit of perspective.

You mentioned you really like Hogarth, I'd been studying his work for a while but it somehow made me define muscles in every body I drew. Great to learn where everything goes, just made all my figures look like something out of Hellraiser. Just my own opinion, no reason to hold back studying from him.

Keep up the good work.
    My Site

Sketchbook - Crits and opinions needed and welcomed

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast