Gimme' Face

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Gimme' Face

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gimme' Face

Hi everyone, and welcome.

Heres something I've been wanting to do for the last few months, only work had taken priority. Well better late than never i say.
    If you haven't yet worked it out, this thread which I hope will beome a weekly thread involves everything to do with the FACE or HEAD. Getting the face or head features is one of the most important skills to learn as an artist, especially as a figuretive or character artist. Basicly you mess up, and its totaly noticable. Theres nothing worse than creating a great piece of art, except all the character faces look dead or lifeless.
    So here's the plan, each week 'll give you a project that involves a face or head, this could be anything from basic line structure to full colour images, realistic human face to animated hamsters, stone bust to famous faces such as charlie chaplin or sweeny todd. Basicly everything goes, and it may not be just one image, some projects may include multiple faces, similer to the spartan thread.
    Also becouse this is very very new thread, if people wish to participate by adding some ideas, your more than welcome to comment and of course to crit

so here goes.

Gimme' Face 1.

Create a full face/head. Any angle, race, human, animal, creature, colour/b&w, emotion, realistic or surealistic, basicly anything goes, do whatever you want.

Deadline: Wednesday June 4th

Last edited by grenogs; May 28th, 2008 at 07:35 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This sounds like a great idea, I need all the practice I can get. It's just that I'm afraid anything I post will be nowhere near the quality of the other artists.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dont stress pandragon, this isnt a competition to see who can produce the best image,(or at least not at the moment) your only competition is yourself, and a chance to experiment and learn something that often gets over looked and taken for granted. Also this is just began, so the level of experience to participate is still a mystery. But it is open to all levels, and styles, also as mentioned above ,its not only going to be human, so if your good at animals or strange creatures, then theres a chance to show off your skills. One of the projects i do hope to do later, depending on how things are developing, is a step by step project, create a face within an hour and showing each progress every 10 minutes or so, just to give everyone different ideas and styles on how to build a face.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm down, I can always work on my faces.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe have them within themes, such as; Expressions, colour schemes, angles, etc. So instead of just chucking out the idea of just painting faces, having a structure might help. This could be more than just a activity, it could incorperate beginner lessons, such as one week you could have all value studied faces, another a flesh colour study, another a muscle analysed image. Maybe also some themes could hit on the different versions of faces, from; Broad, long, average, female, male, children, deformed. Some whacky takes could be like what would a face look like inside out or with facial features juggled swapped around and how the muscles would work for those changes.

Oh btw I might be in.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Rist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rist View Post
    Maybe have them within themes, such as; Expressions, colour schemes, angles, etc. So instead of just chucking out the idea of just painting faces, having a structure might help. This could be more than just a activity, it could incorperate beginner lessons, such as one week you could have all value studied faces, another a flesh colour study, another a muscle analysed image. Maybe also some themes could hit on the different versions of faces, from; Broad, long, average, female, male, children, deformed. Some whacky takes could be like what would a face look like inside out or with facial features juggled swapped around and how the muscles would work for those changes.

Oh btw I might be in.
    Rist: i totaly agree, you hit the nail on the head, thats exactly what i had in mind, as time goes by i hope to make it more structured with some direction. but for this first project, i just want people to post anything, totally open ended, just to see the responce and to basicly get things rolling, no point doing a shit hot brief, and nobody even entering.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

wip

So here's a quick wip just to get things started. basicly just 2 main size brushes used here, Big and Bigger. For laying down the basics no need for little fiddly brushes, my main concentration at this stage is the basic form.
    Gimme' Face

Last edited by grenogs; May 28th, 2008 at 08:19 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice face.
    I was wondering, are we only allowed to submit one face per project? Or can we submit more?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FearSelf View Post
    Nice face.
    I was wondering, are we only allowed to submit one face per project? Or can we submit more?
    thanks fearself.
    It all depends on the particuler project, in the same way cow, chow or eow are, there will be rules for each project. But for this week, do whatever you want, its totally open ended, just dont go overboard and post 100 faces all around 800px size

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by grenogs View Post
    thanks fearself.
    It all depends on the particuler project, in the same way cow, chow or eow are, there will be rules for each project. But for this week, do whatever you want, its totally open ended, just dont go overboard and post 100 faces all around 800px size
    Dang it, I was totally planning to post 100 faces. Haha kidding. I don't know if I have the attention span or time to make that many by deadline. o.O
    Well I'm defenatly in, I need to work on faces.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Follows
    Following
    I might do some on sunday. If you want to see some of my traditional work check out my sketchbook is has a few entries in the back with portraits.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    2 days to go, if theres still nothing happening here by the morning i may decide to go onto the next challenge a little early

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

anything goes , right?

This thread is a great idea, specially for people who need to work on their face anatomy, like me. I think that doing multiple faces would be a lot better and would help us improve more than just doing one face a week.

Anyway I did this one with color pencil, feel free to point out any mistakes
    Attachment 383582

I had done more than just one but my scanner is not available at the moment D:

Last edited by Lunatic_Strife; April 15th, 2012 at 03:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yep, anything goes, nice to see you joining in lunatic,
    tomorrow ill start a new thread, opefully there'll be more joining in then with something with more direction. Also i'm going to keep it in the single image again, only this time it will probably have a more fantasy feel,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh I thought the due date was tomorrow...
    mm well I'll still post what I have I suppose.
    Sorry it's uh late? And sketchy.
    Name:  face 001.JPG
Views: 134
Size:  66.6 KB

Name:  face 002.JPG
Views: 144
Size:  66.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no probs fearself, i posted the next project a little early, just to ive people the heads up, to be honest i wasnt expecting any more images in this project as it wasnt realy a proper brief. Anyway, well done on these, i ope you'll join in on the next also, something a little more directional i hope

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.