Sketchbook: sketch book of Devere Wint Wintonianphil101 every line brings me closer to perfection

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

sketch book of Devere Wint Wintonianphil101 every line brings me closer to perfection

Welcome to the sketch book of Devere Wint.

before I forget inspiration for starting a sketch book thread of my own no other than MindCandyMan.

Attached Images Attached Images            
    Last edited by Devere; June 17th, 2008 at 03:59 PM. Reason: I talk waaaayyyyy too much.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's my next little post, at the moment it's just a sketch over the last few days I've been getting back to basics and brushing up on my quick sketch skills using traditional designer medium. (markers and pastel.) I'll try taking a pic of a page or two tomorrow and get it up for now here's a little sketch that's been cleaned up. wasn't expecting to find a design details I liked in this once but I did. Now i wish I didn't sketch it sooooo smalll. but I guess if anything I'll blow it up and do the rims properly if I'm liking how it's looking with marker applied to it.

comments and crits welcome as always.

(I might even try modeling this one in alias if you guys like it.)

Oh yeah other funny things about this one I started off by sketching top views as opposed to side views (which is the way most automotive designers approach it, hell what do I care it's about time a product design stepped in and stirred things up a little.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey mate welcome, nice work your perspective work could use a little tightening but i understand free hand draw through construction isn't easy, as i try it often myself with many failures, as i assume your lil thumbnails are for design purposes most of them are looking very bubbly maybe try and get a few more straight edges in there for contrast and more appeal also go check out the car proportions as its very easy to make an unconvincing car when some of the proportion rules are ignored, but i am not very informed on industrial design so if i am help cool if not sorry. keep up the work and post heaps !!! later mate.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the feed back Aussiedeza. , your absolutely right some of the forms are too round and lack a certain structure that comes with placing a few contrasting lines in the correct position. As for the car proportions things you are right about that to some extent in my humble opinion. Being in ID back in thrid year when we had to choose whether we wanted to specialize in vehicle design or product, I was one of the few that took it upon myself to take both classes for about 1/4 of the semester (as I was working on a group project in my product design studio class and wasn't sure if transportation was for me I had to call it quits for the sake of he team.)

Anyhow the very first exercise was to determine whether you knew the proportions of various vehicle classes or not. ( a little test on wheel basses, heights, widths and lengths.) of 4 or 5 classes of vehicles I forget which. Anyhow, typical car wheel base is said to be 5 wheels across but this changes as you move between classes and types.

Sports cars (ferrari class vehicles.) tend to be longer with lower roof. sedan shorter with high roof. key thing here is that average space for some one fitting in a vehicle must be close to the same for all classes.

so the rule of thumb is a shorter vehicle (i.e. smart car.) must have higher roof. which a longer vehicle can have a lower roof since it's seat can be positioned lower and tilted to make use of extra leg room available.

for general interest maybe I'll throw a digram explaining how that works up. easier to understand when you see it.

btw if your talking about the most recent sketch when you mentioned proportions you were absolutely right. looking on it I don't imagine it would be the most comfortable vehicle to drive.

ps: there is no such things as a bad critique or question. As designers/artist/illustrators it's our goal and purpose to communicate through our mediums drawing/painting/sculpture whatever. so if something isn't communicating the way it should it will draw questions, which need to be answered either through word or redrawing the subject so please don't be afraid to comment.

Thanks again for your input much appreciated.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

quick marker rendering practice on copy paper

here I just decided to try start brushing back up on my marker skills. I don't think it came out too bad though it would have been better on marker paper. and still wish I had spent time redrawing the wheel now, but all in all I'm please with this one, the next one will only be better I was going to put up the rest but my moms gone with the camera and this is the only one I could easily scan. I'm gonna get back to sketching.

comments and crits welcome as always.

oh yeah it's metallic surface in an out side environment a bit of artistic digressions taken.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't seen too much ID sketches in a while but this is very refreshing. You surely have your ID approach to them. Maybe it is already obvious, but your main goal is to become a car designer? Knowing that helps in being more helpful with overall critiques.
    The car designs look interesting and like that brief explanation between smart cars and the others. In the car above, on the front, the right wheel cover looks too visible for this point of view that is making it look longer than the one close to us. Anyways, keep up with the great work.

SKETCHBOOK SUPPORTGROUP #48
    Maestro Andres | CouchPotato | Mono2k5 | Sawa | 0shade0

"The aim of figure drawing is never to copy the model but to analyze it." - sfa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Maestro Andres thanks for stopping by. No want I want isn't all that obvious right now , barely know myself. No seriously I'd love to break into entertainment design or atleast I wouldn't mind transportation design too much working on custom designs that is or concept cars. In the vehicles for production design department it's more like a design sweat shop. Or so my teach ( he was a designer at ford germany.) told us and I don't want to even think about putting myself in a position where I begin to hate drawing.

Product design is cool but with North America going into a recession now (or atleast on the verge of one.)

I think entertainment design is the safest choice. Not to mention how much fun I think it would be doing something new every day as opposed to working one to 3 product for production (manufacturing.) for a year. (I had enough of that for a while after just completing design thesis 1 project for a year.)

So I guess the purpose of this sketch book is to keep me sketching and help me build up some more skills I need to enter entertainment design or concept design for toys/hot wheels.

In addition to preventing me from taking the easy way out, which would be becoming a CAID Jockey in my case since I'm quite good at making models in solidworks.

ps: I think you might be right about that wheel, to be honest didn't do full construction on this so maybe a 30 degree ellipse would be better than the 35 I currently have. thanks.

Last edited by Devere; June 8th, 2008 at 12:52 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More sketches, a bit looser than my usuals, I know it's about time. did most of these today, trying to slowly break away from my dependence on the draw though and classical perspective construction methods.

times to take my perception skills for a test drive after 4 years of drawing most if not all my products via draw through method. So perspectives aren't as tight as my usual but that wasn't the goal rather it was working more quickly and freely while using enough perspective to get the idea across.

More or early ideation sketches playing around with shape and proportions.

Anyhow comments and critique welcome and appreciated as always.

oh yeah a few bridgman head skulls studies too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    little update quick rendering, quick addition of colour trying to speed up get away from the usual 5+ hour renders. So the goal of this one was to do a render that gives the viewer enough information without going for photoreal, thus it's still very much a sketch.

Hope to do a few more of these before I leave. I'll be gone back home to Jamaica in a littl over a day for 6 weeks hope to teach myself how to paint relatively well sing traditional media during hat time, since I don't want to risk bringing my ellipse guides hip sweeps , tablet and such. doubt my brothers computer could hand my stuff anyways,

I'll try to take pictures of the painting that I do and post them when ever I get a chance.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

finally some more stuff

yeah I know, I've been very lazy on the posting side, bee ages since I've updated cause I really hate boring process of scanning. but here they are hope you like comments and crits welcome and appreciated.

it is better to have sketched and sucked than to never have sketched at all.

Visit my sketch book at
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ghlight=Devere

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

a little something else.

I draw and draw but soo lazy to update my sketch book any ways here's a little something. a little ogre study. still trying to get around the mechanics or painter. playing around with the oil brushes. and a little Caravaggio study. this is soo much easier on real paper. but I will not concede.

comments and crits are appreciated and welcome as always.

Last edited by Devere; July 4th, 2009 at 01:51 PM.

Visit my sketch book at

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

D man's back

was away for a few months but now I'm back and ready to sketch until my hands are on fire and spontaniously combust and I die..... or until I'm tired and wanna go to bed, which ever comes sooner. Enjoy.

Visit my sketch book at

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your sketchbook. With the caravaggio study, cupid wasn't that yellow and caravaggio's tones were usually more subtle. Have you ever considered doing anymore digital work at all? That might be a little more convenient when uploading work on the site. Also there is something of with the characters anatomy at the end of post ten. I like your portfolio layout though. Do you have a website too? If you don't, that's prob the best way to promote yourself. Great car drawings though. Did you have to do a lot of observational car drawings as well as learning perspective? I'm trying to get better at drawing stuff like that.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by Istmin52. Your right about the colours. recently aquired painter X and cs3 was quite a deal though a month later 11 came out and CS4 ( was a very upsetting moment like adter I bought my pentium dual core and core dou came out less than a week later.) that's what got me started on digital painting with painter. stopped because I as over was working and living more than 2000 miles away from my computer. So submerged my self in charcoal drawing. though left all those in Jamaica.

no haven't done too much observational car drawings though I should (nothing beats obsevation studies discovering that now that I'm studying illustration.). Just looked on package design aspect in one or two of the transportation design classes I sat in on when I was doing my Degree in Industrial Design. my focus them was on creating innovatice product solutions that can be manufactured for the masses.

will be trying to post something new everyday so stay tuned.

ps: website is a work in progress. I'll try get one up in the next week or so. also gonna try do better on my blogging. really need to the pubilicity to get some work.

Last edited by Devere; March 7th, 2010 at 11:39 PM.

Visit my sketch book at

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool sketchbook man, I really like your car designs.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to LordVenom For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    much better scan of googles design for IDW #120

thanks for stopping by Lord Venom

Visit my sketch book at

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gonna attempt a renderng of it in painter later probaby.

Visit my sketch book at

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like some of your car sketches .your jobs clean i like this

21. The Following User Says Thank You to destinyapocalypse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks destinyapocalypse

here is the rendering I should of had from the last IDW let me know what you think

Last edited by Devere; March 14th, 2010 at 06:30 PM.

Visit my sketch book at

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like how you did the texture on the belt your could have done a bit more of that. And are the lenses convex or concave, I can;t make it out.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,585 Times in 890 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good job keep working on that perspective!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thatnks for stopping by guys here is my latest post. the lense are convex but the opening is concave.

charcoal study for my chiaruscuro class. it aws really tuff but think I finally got something decent.

Visit my sketch book at

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    for some reason toaday just had this insane urge to marker render. though kind of wish spent more time resoving the design and the perspective is a little tooo exaggerated maybe but the colours are pretty. gonna sketch some bots or somthing resolve then render them. oh yeah my scanner sucks but it's better than nothng at all.

anyways all comments and crits are welcome.

Last edited by Devere; March 26th, 2010 at 07:22 PM.

Visit my sketch book at

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No update! C'mon man!

Do a lot of work and your work will be as good as your ambitions.
    Eternal Sketchbook

Tensai --- A La Bapsi --- Psychobuddy --- Wingal--- Lakai

Members who have read this thread: 2