New Photoshop Tutorial!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New Photoshop Tutorial!

Here's a tutorial I made about displacement mapping in Photoshop. This is based on a t-shirt, but it could be done with scaled creatures, patterns, reflections in water, etc. The possibilities are endless. Anyway, let's get started. Here's the shirt image I'll be using.

New Photoshop Tutorial!

The first step would be to paste in the pattern, logo, texture, or whatever you want displaced to the file and keep it in it's own layer.

New Photoshop Tutorial!

After you've done that, make a duplicate file of the exact same dimensions and shade it with a soft airbrush like it's being lit by a head on flash bulb. Make sure any dead area is filled with 50% Black. Save the file as a greyscale .PSD

New Photoshop Tutorial!

Back on your original file with the layer you plan to displace activated, choose "Displace" from the "Distort" menu under "Filter". Now you need to make an approximate guess of the angle your object is facing so Photoshop knows which direction to distort your image. Here is an example of how Photoshop's grid system works:

New Photoshop Tutorial!

New Photoshop Tutorial!

After you click ok, Photoshop will ask which file you want to displace from. Choose the Grayscale .PSD you just saved and click ok.

Now your layer should be displaced.

New Photoshop Tutorial!

The next step is to render it with proper lighting in a separate layer. Here's the finished product.

New Photoshop Tutorial!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Something didn't work with your tut...

There's absolutely no displacement of that t-shirt whatsoever. It just looks like you painted some hightlights and shadows on it...a displacement map will distort the subject somewhat. Your before and after show no distortion to simulate "wrapping" of the shape.

Check out these working Displacement tutorials to see Displacement REALLY in action:

http://www.grafx-design.com/14photo.html
    http://www.polykarbon.com/tutorials/...splacement.htm

Sometimes, you don't need to reinvent the wheel...

Last edited by madster; October 17th, 2003 at 07:04 PM.
    Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe you should take a closer look next time.

New Photoshop Tutorial!
    New Photoshop Tutorial!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did, that's why I posted.
    Dude, take both images and paste 'em into a NEW document as two separate layers. Reduce the opacity of the top one, and you will see NO difference in the design on the shirt, just some painted highlights and shadows. Reverse the layer order and do it again, STILL, NO displacement. just some fading and darker areas.

How close is the viewer supposed to look???

I am The Choosen One!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is that so?

New Photoshop Tutorial!

Last edited by EraserX; October 17th, 2003 at 07:46 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Too bad you couldn't get that much movement achieved with your tut. That Pen&Pixels design don't move. Period. Put the layers together, click the eye on and off. No difference in the design...no shifting, no displacement. Nice lil' amimation, tho'. Maybe you should write a tut on that, at least it works...

Like I said, your tut does not do anything new or better than what is already successful out there, and doesn't really demonstrate the Displacement filter very well, since it doesn't really work at all. New Photoshop Tutorial!

I'm not blind, nor stupid. I'll stick to the tuts that work, thank you.

Wait a minute. I bet you're kinda new to Photoshop, aren't you? That's why you're reinventing wheels...

I am The Choosen One!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What is your problem? The animation IS of those two layers. The logo IS displaced. Can anyone else give me a hand here? This has to be a joke. I just try to help out a little bit and I get nothing but harrassment from you because you won't look at the two images and see the difference for yourself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dont worry, i can see that they're two images. but they do look similar. maybe you should use a more obvious logo and crease in the t-shirt.

at least you tried, keep it up.

» sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool

EraserX... for what's it's worth, I can see exactly what you did and it makes sense to me. I admit though, that I did have to compare the first and last image to see the difference at first, but that's only because the example you used in your tutorial isn't a very drastic once. Nonetheless, it's still a good tutorial, and I think it's cool that you took the time to put it together and post it here. That's what the heart of this place is really all about, so don't be discouraged by negative comments. Thanks...

- blind

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys. I'm glad someone here gets it. The funny thing is, I've posted this at several other forums and this is the first comment I've gotten that nothing changed. I mean, it was intended to be somewheat subtle since most people who use the tutorial will be doing it for the first time. I didn't want to do anything too extreme that would increase the difficulty level.

Anyways, I'm glad the effort wasn't a complete waste.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, I noticed the difference the first time. Nice tutorial

You will buy my book. End of topic.

--Infinitipo, aka the 14-year-old prodigy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

home is where the heart is. mb if i had a heart id have home....
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by EraserX
    Maybe you should take a closer look next time.

New Photoshop Tutorial!
    New Photoshop Tutorial!
    lol if you cant tell the difference between these two images posted clearly for your purusal you need to be lashed with a rubber eraser. its a interesting concept. usually i do logos n shit on hard surfaces like armor or vehicles so i dont find a great use for this but id love to test it out in the future. one of those fun things in photoshop, thx.

Fen Berserke Kirta Morta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    EraserX:
    If you want to post more tutorials like that and are looking for love you'll be frustrated soon.

Look how extreme the folds in the shirt are.
    People who see the slight difference and think it is a good tutorial ...
    just don't get what the displacement effenct should look like.

To me it looks as if you just found out how this works and you desperately wanted to share.
    That's ok but you should know why some people don't appreciate it
    (because this community is not geared to beginners)

Maybe I'm just frustrated today ...
    because I don't get the comments I want ...
    almost no comments at all ...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Signature: I'm not asking for anyone's praise and I'm not a noob. The effect was done subtly because I believe subtlety was called for. I played with more extreme displacement and I think this looked the best. If the tutorial doesn't help you, then fine, don't comment. The reason I created the tutorial is that someone asked me how this was done. I created the tutorial to help. I posted it here thinking someone else might find it helpful also. Whether you think it should've been more pronounced or not is your business, but the bottom line is that the tutorial works. BTW, the person who asked me how this was done isn't a beginner either. Then again, most people don't consider displacement mapping a beginner tutorial. Like I said, I'm not asking for anyone's praise, but I don't need you talking down to me either.

BTW, This is about 7 yrs in Photoshop for me. I started with version 2 and have had every version since. In a typical week, I use Photoshop around 60 hrs...so yes, I'm just new to Photoshop and anxious to show off. You caught me.

Last edited by EraserX; October 18th, 2003 at 09:43 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the tutorial will be bad for newbies who think:
    I followed the tutorial. Does my stuff kick ass already?
    That's why I reply.

It's pretty much like: "for realistic lighting add lensflare"-advice.

There should at least be a disclaimer that people should know what they are doing when they use filters like that.
    Look at the disclaimer there:
    http://www.polykarbon.com/tutorials/...splacement.htm

You see the strong fold and how the image reacts to it?
    New Photoshop Tutorial!
    Exactly it doesn't.
    That's not a matter of preference.

You might not be new to this ... still you don't know how it's done correctly.
    Or at least it doesn't show.

Last edited by Signature; October 18th, 2003 at 10:13 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I disagree. I don't think this at all relates to lensflares and filter whoring. So you think I should've made a sharper edge to displace with? That's perfectly fine. If you were trying this tutorial for yourself, you could make those changes on your own. Personally, I don't think it's called for, but who really cares what either of us think. The tutorial shows the basic steps of displacement and how to do it. The way they use it is at their discretion. I'm not saying praise me for my perfect image. I'm saying these are the basics of displacement mapping. I'm sorry if you don't get the replies what you want when you post, but maybe that has more to do with the quality of work your posting and less to do with me. If you wish to prove you're that much better than me, than do it in a civilized way by just ignoring my threads.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All I'm saying is that a disclaimer is missing.
    You say now that it just shows the basic steps.
    It's not part of your tutorial yet.

If you write tutorials you have a responsibility.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Please tell me you're kidding? You think that every time a tutorial is posted that someone could possibly use incorrectly, the author is required by some invisible code of digital art ethics to put a disclaimer? There will always be noobs and some of them will always misunderstand things or use them incorrectly. I will not put up a disclaimer the same way you did not put a disclaimer before starting your conversation that your work doesn't back up your mouth. Some people can figure things out on their own.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd really like to hear more opinions on that.

I think you too are a victim of such tutorials and there are many others.
    There are a lot of tutorials from artists who know what they are doing.

Weirdly I never thought any of them wrote one in a careless way.

I will not put up a disclaimer the same way you did not put a disclaimer before starting your conversation that your work doesn't back up your mouth
    Sorry I guess my English is not good enough to understand what you are talking about there!?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Look, this is the section of the forum dedicated to helping people. This is not critiques or debates, it's tutorials. I posted because I wanted to help. Why did you post? You seem very quick to criticize, but I don't see any work from you that backs up what you're saying.

If anyone sees this thread and actually decides to try the tutorial despite the ugly argument and thread hijacking, I hope it helps you. If you already know how to do it or would've done it differently, then you probably don't need my help, but I still appreciate you taking the time to look. Either way, all I'm trying to do is help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I said that you should add a disclaimer ...
    mention that people should know what they do to use the tutorial properly.

You just say my art is bad and I lack credibility!?
    Is there anything particular you don't like?

Was my critique more constructive or yours?

Of course the tutorial won't always be used wisely.
    If you add a disclaimer it will be the other artists fault.
    And maybe it won't happen that often.
    If you don't add one it's (at least partly) your fault.

I replied because I wanted to help too. Not to criticize you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't say that your art was bad. I said it didn't back up what you were saying. You tell me I'm a result of bad tutorials, yet I see nothing in your gallery but quick paintings copied directly from reference. If you want to give constructive criticism when I post my artwork, I'm more than welcome to it...but right now, all I've done is post some basic steps that simplify a process most Photoshop users (that I know of) aren't that familiar with. My tutorial is not "Why you should use a displacement map", it is "How to make a displacement map". I am not offering a college credited course or charging for a service. I am giving away free information that any user can take or leave. If they take it and don't understand the purpose of what they're doing or fundemental principles, then they have a lot more problems than what can be blamed on me anyway.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Look at the first posts again.
    They say that the filter improves the image if it is different after you use it.

My tutorial is not "Why you should use a displacement map", it is "How to make a displacement map".
    If you'd stress that it would be the perfect disclaimer.
    You'd be out of the woods.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Look at the first posts again.
    They say that the filter improves the image if it is different after you use it.
    Huh? Where is that?

You'd be out of the woods.
    Funny thing is, the only tree in sight is you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool

Maybe something got lost in translation here? Sig... you're way off base with this. This is a forum. It's for saying what you want, gathered around a similar topic: art. Nowhere does it say that everything you say must be correct or otherwise noted with a disclaimer. That's absolutely ridiculous. I've been using PS for nearly a decade, but I never had cause to use something like displacement mapping. I found this short tutorial interesting. Will I ever use it? Probably not... that's not what I use PS for. But I don't need some friggin' disclaimer to tell me "This might not be the best way to do it, lest you become the victim of bad filter whoring..." I think I'm smart enough to make my own decision there, but thanks for policing the forums for Newbs who might fall into that trap. I think you need to slowly back away from the PC the next time you get an urge to make a reply like this.

- blind

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blind:
    Thanks for your reply.
    Ok. I'll only post replies like that in the Middle class then in the future.
    The next time I'll stop after mentioning that the effect was not used as it should be used.

Sure I didn't think the tutorial it bad for artists like you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OMG.. what's happening here???

EraserX: i think your tutorial is useful.. and of course!!! i can see the different between the two images.. who doesn't? ah.. people these days... anyway.. great works on the tutorials (in your website).. looking forward for your new coloring job!:chug:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL... man what is with some people!? It was a fun read though.

Nice tut. Eraser.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.