Full Time Creative Work: Where To Look?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Full Time Creative Work: Where To Look?

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere. I did look, but couldnít find anything pertaining to what I need.

Iím looking for a full time job in a creative position. I was pointed in the direction of a concept artist vacancy at Jagex by an agent. There was some initial interest but it didnít go very far. You only need to look at sites like this and the wealth of talent out there, then compare that to the comparatively small number of vacancies out there to realise how little chance I stood. I just donít have the experience (or the talent) that is already in abundance out there.

Are there any other similar opportunities for full time employment that I should be aware of? Any places I should be looking? Any industries I should be approaching? Yeah, vague, I know. But I want to leave my options as open as I can right now.

Iím not that interested in freelancing, by the way. Not unless you know of anywhere that still thinks they should actually pay something reasonable for the work. If they intend to pay at all. Being able to eat is more important to me than having a dream job that really is just that.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Adam, unless you are born with fantastical artistic powers, you are going to have to do the hard graft first and that could mean struggling for a long time before yuo get any recognition.

If you are not passionate about what you do, you may need to go find a boring desk job,

I myself am/was a slow starter, I am 32 and been drawing since I was 18, Ive never had a full time job in art apart from my own drawing classes I do, in the last year or so I have been approached to a Book which is nearly finished and I attribute that to my perserverance and passion with drawing. To me drawing is a life long thing, like eating, I aint going to stop because Im not making money from it, art comes from within and if you don't feel that, you're going to struggle.

SO make it your life, if you don't you will only be mediocre.

Good luck

Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 731 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I've spent nearly 25 years now in the art department of an engineering corporation. I didn't mean to. I was not without talent and I had every intention of leaving after a few years to continue as some kind of a fantasy illustrator or book cover artist or something.

Thing is, I actually liked the job. Really liked it. I liked the company, I liked my work, I liked my boss. I had all the latest equipment and software to play with (which, two decades ago, meant an investment of kzillions).

Okay, some days it's a drag driving a cubicle. Some assigments aren't fun (I *hate* pulling a PowerPoint job). But some days, I'd do it even if they didn't pay me. Most of the time I sit around and draw pictures and watch television. How cool is that?

There are a lot of jobs in art. Not all the good ones are sexy.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stoat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoat View Post
    There are a lot of jobs in art. Not all the good ones are sexy.
    Hahaha! This is a great point - keep eyes open and be flexible! Glad things worked out so well for you Stoat ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Chowles View Post
    Iím not that interested in freelancing, by the way. Not unless you know of anywhere that still thinks they should actually pay something reasonable for the work. If they intend to pay at all. Being able to eat is more important to me than having a dream job that really is just that.
    "Freelance" does not mean "free" or "under-paid," it just means you've run into some "clients" who don't know better. Freelance CAN be unsteady though, and that's a valid concern when talking freelance vs full-time.

I love freelancing. I love being my own boss, working when I want and working wherever I want. You shouldn't write it off all-together, especially when it can fill the gap while you look for full-time.

As to the main subject, you're right it IS vague. There are a LOT of genres of art out there with many levels of appropriate talent. What else are you interested in doing, and/or have the skills to do? Illustration, animation (2D or 3D), graphic design, game design, sculpting, storyboarding, comics, etc? Each of these things is a simple google search to finding sites dedicated to that artistic area, and likely with one to support a job forum or board like this one.

That being said, the others are right--if you can't seem to find a job, you need to take some time to beef up your portfolio, skills and possibly branch out. Maybe set your sights lower if you "OMGNEEDITNAO." These things don't always happen right away and the people getting the jobs have probably spent much longer on what they do than you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "As to the main subject, you're right it IS vague. There are a LOT of genres of art out there with many levels of appropriate talent. What else are you interested in doing, and/or have the skills to do? Illustration, animation (2D or 3D), graphic design, game design, sculpting, storyboarding, comics, etc?"

I have already done illustration work (book/CD covers & interior art mostly), I have qualifications in graphic design, but not a great deal of work in that area. I'm interested in concept art for games, but no experience whatsoever in that. But I have done concept designs and I have done numerous works that take a client's description and visualise it. So similar at least. One concern is the desire to find concept artists with experience in 3D and/or animation. I have a limited grasp of animation and 3D... less said the better.

I've also done film story boards, a film poster and been a creative consultant on a small British film. I've storyboarded a music video concept and I've worked on a few comics, mostly as a colourist & letterer. But there's not much of a demand for painterly style colours, to be honest.

That's why I was being vague. I've covered most of those already and I'm open to the others aside from 3D and animation which are pretty much non-starters for me.

But... I don't know. I seem to have a way of attracting the wrong kind of people freelancing and I don't see a viable way to turn that into a full time job because of that. Basically, my confidence has been shot to hell by some deals that have gone wrong in ways that are bordering the surreal. Putting that African prince scam to shame in terms of complexity and underhandedness. They didn't gain anything from me, but they wasted significant chunks of my time all the same.

Hence my desire for a full time position rather than something that will require me to take chances time and time again with each deal. The amount of my time that's been wasted would have seen me starve to death by now had I pursued it full time.

The flipside of that is, that most of the experience I've gained isn't directly applicable to most full time positions I'm finding advertised (I've already got a ton of job sites bookmarked and I was just on the phone about a possible Graphic Design vacancy as I was writing this so that's something). So I want to make sure that I've got my eyes open to all the possibilities that are available to me.

Last edited by Adam Chowles; May 27th, 2008 at 01:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you have strong computer and software skills graphic design isn't hard to get into. A lot of people, even now, have crap computer skills, and a lot of people who know how to use the software have crap design skills. If you have both, you should be head and shoulders above a lot of the competition for entry level work. It's not a sexy job, but it can be creatively satisfying at times. At least it keeps a paycheck coming in while you work the other stuff, until you land a better job.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a pretty good machine that I built so I could upgrade it substantially when I had the money (and the need) to do so. Right now it has 2GB and a 5200 dual core processor which is more than adequate for handling large 2D files it seems.

So graphic design work certainly isn't out of the question. But that's one field I've noticed more full time positions than freelance stuff.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.