Art: Classwork and shorts, 01/11/2009

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Classwork and shorts, 01/11/2009

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Classwork and shorts, 01/11/2009

Hello everyone, been a little while since I've actually posted work up on here. Must say I'm pumped that there is actually an animation subforum here now, definitely ups the incentive to post more often. Anyway, I've got a few things from the past school year; did a good amount of 2d work (traditional and digital, though all of the work I'm posting is computer stuff) and a little 3d work. Please feel free to critique as harshly as you'd like, and I hope you all enjoy

Going chronologically..

This first thing was a study in pushing acting; we were given an emotion and were told to push the acting as far as we could. In the end my result came out veeerry tame, but it was a great learning experience. I should also note that I grew to love using smear/limited animation on my characters, so you'll probably notice some blurs in my 2d character's movements.

next up is a collab. short I did with a friend of mine for our Animation Basics II class final. We did the sound together but animated the characters seperately (mine is the guy with a trapezoid for a head). The story is quite random and the piece doesn't make a whole lot of sense all around (this is the only part as well). It was fun though, and we got to go through the paces of "finishing" a piece with sound.

this next thing was a project we had in my Maya class from last semester. Our goal was to simply animate this guy (our teacher gave us the model and rig) getting through the "deathwheels" without him touching them. It was alot of fun, though he does kinda catch his face on a spike at one point.

aaand lastly is a short I worked on all last semester. Essentially, we had to work on a piece from start to finish and we were given the whole semester to do it. This was a fun though frustrating process, and I learned how much time management matters. Still, the piece came out alright; I didn't get to do sound, sadly, and I want to go back and reanimate the majority of it, but I think it reads alright for what it is.

and there ya go. I'm gonna do my best to stop in and stay stuff to most things in this section, though it might take me a while (I tend to type a little too much). anyway, thanks for looking!

Last edited by Onir; January 11th, 2009 at 11:42 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I found the last one very clever- they were all pretty good ut I liked the last one best because of the personality- d

Thanks
    Thanked 5,459 Times in 3,670 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Can so empathise with last one except I’ve been drawing my hand a lot recently…

It’s nice to see the progress. More please.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Twinning

In the last movie the arms are moving quit even. Try to delay one or simply to change the pose...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The last one was my favorite, good way to illustrate frustration.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DECYPL - Thanks! Glad ya liked it I was hoping his actions would help counter his simplistic face in terms of expression in that last one.

Black Spot - lol Glad to hear you could relate to it at some level, that was one of my main goals with it Thanks for looking, and I'll try to get more up here soon!

AndHus - Hmm I can certainly see what you're talking about. A big area I need to work on is secondary actions, and in this project I was very concerned with getting a basic level of animation done before I went back in. The poses I have definitely lend themselves to even motion (at least the way I saw them initially) and that's another area I should work in. Thanks for the crit, good to keep in mind

Alec-Eldifrawi - Thanks, glad to hear it works well

--

Thanks for all the comments guys; I don't have anything new to show, but I will post an old exercise I did in the class that I also made the anger and Sugar in the Water pieces.

I'll try to come back with actual new work sometime soon! Thanks again for looking!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The exercise you just posted and that last semester film are great. I love the limited animation and the blurs on the first film. It gives a really nice crisp action.

My only crit would be to just go a little further on your angles. Just to make them pop with the action of the character. It might enhance their zany movements.

I look forward to more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I thought that they were all great, I especially like the one that had the guy dodging the blades! =]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DrNero - Thanks and glad ya liked em! I appreciate the advice as well, I do tend to fall back on simplified camera work alot of the time (primarily for ease and time restrictions); also I haven't thought of angles that enhance a character's actions, but that is definitely something to think about from now on. Thanks again!

chrisd1991 - Thanks I'd like to do more 3d, but with my last semester coming up I might not have enough time... we'll see though! hehe

--

heeey everyone, been a long time... like 6 months or something hehe. My last semester was hectic, but I did manage to come out with a couple things to show. I'll try to be posting on here a bit more from now on, both to view work and to show my work. Either way here's what I've done:

this first one i actually did a while ago; probably around the time I made the last post in this thread actually lol. I have it in my thread in the sketchbook section, but I figure I might as well put in it in here as well. I made this for my dad when his birthday was coming around... I was also going to make one for my brother (their birthdays are about 6 days apart) but I didn't finish his and, due to that, didn't end up showing this to my dad until a week or two ago hehe. really simple, was fun to do though.

Classwork and shorts, 01/11/2009

and these last two are from a class I had focusing on developing a character last semester. we spent the entire semester with a personal character and a class character; the skinny guy with the sharp nose is my character, and the big lady/guy (he's a crossdresser) is the class's character. We were only required to have at least 3 seconds of rough animation at the end, one on paper and one in either flash or paper. I opted for flash the second time because it's faster, but paper was very refreshing to work with. Doing my main senior film on paper as well, so I'll have that up as I work through it.

the scenario for this first one is that my guy is standing in line and a guy walks up behind him to solicit him. because my guy is a bit paranoid he turns around surprised and then calms down as the guy talks.

this second one starts off with my guy being a bit confused at the person he saw sitting on the bus behind him; him and the big lady/guy know each other, but he doesn't know that she cross dresses. She walks up to him upset and takes off her wig to show him who she really is.

I'll hopefully be back with more soon; thanks for looking!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.