Thanks

Future of Art Tools

[sorry for my bad grammar]

Is this possible to in the far future, artists no more use traditional tools, like pencil and paper...because lack of natural resources (like wood) or planetary degeneration, and art transform into digital applications and electronic devices forever?!

I think computers and digital media boost our creativity and there is no limit for imagination in this visual age!!

What you think?!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    A gallery will pay many times more money for a canvas and oil then they will for an electronic digital copy. You also might be selling yourself short when you do 'just' digital, because after you sell the digital print to your client that's it. If you make a painting, you have a hard copy to sell later on that has value.

There will always be a need for craftsman.....just as there will always be a need for glass blowers, furniture makers and sculptors.

Besides, I think the imagination comes from your mind, not the computer. It's a tool....so far.

As far as paper goes.....in the 1940's during WWII, the USA use to grow Hemp, marijuana with low toxicity, to make paper and canvas....don't see why it can't be done again?
    My New Neglected Sketchbook
    You Ain't no Nina!.....

"Too often we... enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." -- John Fitzgerald Kennedy
    "My mind is made up. Don't confuse it with facts." -- Terence McKenna

Thanks
    For my part, I've all but abandoned digital media at this point because I just don't really care for it. I still use it, but my work, in my opinion, is better when I use traditional techniques. Of course, that was the way I learned, so. But I don't think one will replace the other - digital media is just another tool to be used along side of traditional media.

And as long as we have dirt, charcole, and rock and something that we can make marks with by hand, we'll have traditional media. We're kind of strange that way

~Oreg.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    dear noserider and oregano, I think you guys little confused or I don't express my thought successfuly...I never said imagination comes from your computer...I say computers, multimedia and age of visualization, boost our creativity and there is no limit for imagination in this age, because we can share our concepts, arts and minds in visual form inside Net!!

I talk about far far future, like sci-fi movie, when traditional media no more exists!!
    Sounds like stupidity, but just imagine and tell me what you think about Art in very far future...

Even forget Artistic tools and tell me what you think about future of Art, farrr future?!

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Think about this...

Hi-tech art that was stored on 5-1/2" and 1.4 floppies is pretty much lost now, or will be in the near future, and this is just barely 20 years after the common introduction of art/compatible computers. How long before CDs and Laser discs, and what comes next, and next, and so on, is un-retrievable?

What makes you think that someone will care enough about any of our art to try to save it from advancing technological stupidity? Exactly what amount of money have you personally set aside to save your own art into the distant future?

While you're doing your ultra-techy holographic super-senso-round sound electronic doodad, think about the fact that without electricity AND a suitable "reader," what you're doing is a waste of time. Put a post-it note on the lid telling your descendants that what's inside the magic box is extremely valuable, and 200,000 years from now, they'll read the post-it note and wonder what the hell you were rambling about...

Further opinion available if needed...
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nimadez View Post
    I talk about far far future, like sci-fi movie, when traditional media no more exists!!
    Sounds like stupidity, but just imagine and tell me what you think about Art in very far future..
    Nimadez, I didn't misunderstand you. But I'll dare to venture a guess that you misunderstood me.

As long as humans exist, and we can manipulate things with our hands, we will have traditional art. Be it five years from now, or five million.

~Oreg.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to S.C. Watson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    As long as there is graphite in the future a blank wall should be fine enough...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

11. The Following User Says Thank You to corky13 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    this reminds me of a girl friend of mine who once said "da vinci or michelangelo would have a blast with digital media in our current time, but they'd still use traditional mediums to make themselves immortal"...

personally I think that working digital is great for an illustrator's line of work- its faster, more flexible and streamlined for the mediums the art ends up in (print, online etc). but it cant be compared to traditional mediums in my oppinion. when I create a picture digitally, I usually dont really care for it after its done, mainly because it feels too easy using a medium that has filters, shortcuts and an undo button.

Working traditional on the other hand has so much more to it- after a painting or sculpture is done you really feel like youve accomplished something. You remember every brushstroke or piece of clay you've applied, every minute you painstakingly tried to create something unique and beautiful.

it's a testament to you craftsmanship that can be looked at, touched, smelled and will last much longer than the bits and bytes on anyones harddrive.

in other words" traditional media will always be the more satiisfying choice for me.

cheers,
    Etienne

"How do you know you're good enough?" "You know." "What if you're wrong?" "You find out."

*** Help a CA artist! Visit the Critique Center! ***

MY HOMEPAGE

13. The Following User Says Thank You to VirusArtist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Just like people collected, restored, and saved many art pieces from wasting away or becoming destroyed. Some day the same kind of people are going to find a way to log, and credit the artist from a digital medium. The whole argument about drives and the evolution of new storage technology being invented and forgotten doesn't mean things can't be transfered.

Now, whether your art is worth saving all depends. Famous artists paintings were saved for a good reason, but how many sketches, and paintings do you think were destroyed? Van Gogh's mother used her sons left over paintings I believe to patch a roof because while he was alive he got shit credit until after he was dead.

All mediums waste away. Even Oils were looked down upon by some artists because it was so easy to manipulate and work with before it dried. I believe it was Michelangelo who sort of had a disposition with using oils. Only reason why it's hard for some artists to understand digital as viable is because they don't have as good of an understanding of the technology it was done with. When tools are created to make something quicker or easier to do, the higher the expectations are for that art to be well done.

In order to see it in the future is only to assume people will forget the technology or something bad will happen to where they wont even understand the technology anymore. Then again will they care anyway? An artists work will only survive and las as long as there is still something to learn from it, and if people will realize that they will do whatever it takes to save it no matter what.

Tools don't matter. Just as long as you do something that is worth saving. If you're doing art to expect to live forever and get attention, maybe you might be doing art for the wrong reason. Idealistically speaking. Doing art from my point of view, is something that is helpful to any person, and getting recognition for it is a fringe benefit. You will only be able to enjoy the recognition when youre alive anyway.

That's the way I think about things anyway.
    Last edited by Costau D; May 25th, 2008 at 07:25 PM.
    ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by nimadez View Post
    artists no more use traditional tools, like pencil and paper...because lack of natural resources (like wood) or planetary degeneration
    ermmm.... how many natural resources (oil, minerals etc.) are used in the creation of a pc?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Ead For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I think in the future there will be computers that can read your mind so all you have to do is think of the picture and it will be truned into an image on the screen.
    “Figure out what you wanna do, then take a nap.”
    www.matthewstarbuck.com

Thanks
    Digital is already the fact of production design and commercial illustration. Some people will always prefer traditional over digital and that will always be the case.

Maybe in the distant future in a bladerunner or 5th element scenario, the paper/pen could be completely replaced by new technology. In that scenario the most accessible means of creative expression will be different.

I don't think computers and digital media boost our creativity. While the form of creativity may change, people don't.

Thanks
    As long as there are galleries and art patrons who make a fortune of "trad" artworks, it will never stop. Digital Concept work is one thing but the fine art world is a big money - making investment. Cant really invest in a wesburt or a coro piece of concept art to re-sell in the future for major bucks when they peg off?
    So as long as U can fling crap at a canvas and call it art cos U got a 12 page thesis to back it up, its going to carry on. Specially if some rich twat pays millions for it everytime!

Thanks
    I'm in love with technology, no difference PC or gadget, I just love digital devices and softwares, I feels like computer programming help me to understand how brain work as hardware and generate invisible informations known as software or mind (or even ancient invisible spirit)...

Personally, I think we have more freedom to imagination and visualization in this digital TV and multimedia age, because we no more need to travel all around the globe by horse and donkey for many years to see art of great artists around the globe, we can see 1000 of them on-line fast as minutes, then our brain receive lot more visual informations than past and have more freedom to imagine something, because our imagination can't go beyond our brain memories and capacity...

Can you imagine something beyond your memories?!
    All you can done is to imagine pink cow flying in clouds, because you know cow, you know what flying is and you know color pink how looks like...your brain just bind them together and make fantasy image of pink cow flying in clouds!!

Soon or Late we most share our life, brain and mind with computers and virtual realities...

Special Thanks to all of you