Page 59 of 159 FirstFirst ... 9 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 109 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,274 Times in 4,302 Posts
    Mainly because I love colour and see it everywhere. To me the world just shouts it.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,423 Times in 1,321 Posts

4. The Following User Says Thank You to ~KJK~ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Right. I'm almost at the point where I start to refine and add even more detail. I've changed it even more from the original and will continue to evolve it as far as I can. Play spot the difference.

When I visit some of your SBs and ask that you push it that much more, this is what I'm talking about. I'm going to carry on with this one picture until I can't do any more and you're all bored to sobs with it. Make a picture to the best of your ability and then go further. Even if it ends up shit in the end, you'll learn something just by going that bit further and next time it'll be easier. My approach and I'm going for it all guns blazing. Join me.

Attachment 1005723

Thanks
    YEEEAAAHHH!!! Push push push!! I'm with you mate! I totally agree with you on this!
    Looking good!!
    SKETCHBOOK

Daryl Zero: "A few words here about following people. People know they're being followed when they turn around and see someone following them. They can't tell they're being followed if you get there first."

7. The Following User Says Thank You to meticulous For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The guy in the foreground is looking top notch. Good work. Really cool exercise that you are doing too btw. Good job!
    My Sketchbook

frazmctag@gmail.com

9. The Following User Says Thank You to FraserMcT For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,033 Posts
    Niiiiiice update, just remember that while painting extremely saturated, you can use a lot of desaturated colors to make their neighbors stand out even more.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Konstad For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Keep going, it will pay off
    A tip: i dont know if your already doing it, but having a hue/saturation adjustment layer on top set to 100 desaturated, can be really helpfull to check for values. Then you just turn the layer on and off whenever you want to check the values.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonas_J For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The whole series of titians' sounds crazy, It would be quite an accomplishment for sure. I like your imaginative work better though, It has more you in it... even if you feel It's not as strong.

What I meant with the version is that I see quite a few when I searched for your referenced image. I dont know the particular painting well but there could be different photographs, or fading or reproductions of it, I hear of resorations and cleaning sometimes too.

Your making great progress with it, and push for sure!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to seagulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Cheers guys.

Seagulls, I'm now deviating away from the reference as will be apparent in my next update. I saw this in the NG earlier this year. It's massive and I'm sorry to say, Freddie Scribbles and I cracked up completely; we have no respect (hangs head in shame).

Braintree I might put a B&W layer in later, but I'm changing a lot at the moment and I'm trying to do it all by eye as I think it's really good practice.

Thanks
    You won't believe how much time I've spent just changing the picture a little. I've mainly been working on Diana, her hair, headdress and other small bits. Her body form still needs more work before I'm happy and then I've got to tighten the picture overall in lots of places.

Braintree, I did have a look at it in greyscale and it works pretty well as is.

Attachment 1007712

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    My main critique about this (besides saying that its looking pretty good so far) is that it the way the figures are put into the scene is not in the style of Titian.

If you look in this reference photo: http://markgorman.files.wordpress.co...tizian_001.jpg

You can see that in almost every Titian work the figures look like they could not be removed from the scene and placed into another without significant adjustments.

The style of your copy currently makes it seem as if each figure could be removed and placed into another work without many changes (like this michelangelo):http://scecclesia.files.wordpress.co...ation-adam.jpg

That is my only critique! - to concentrate on the boundaries of the figures and how they fit into the scene as much as the rendering of them individually.
    Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

Thanks
    Heya Blackspot, looking good. One thing I notice is most of the figures have quite hard edges, which is separately them from a background slightly. I don't know the original, but possibly take the blur tool and soften some of the edges a little in areas. Keep it going!

Thanks
    That really was a great picture of the work that ThomasM gave you. I'd encourage you to give it a really close look, sadly the original appears to have faded significantly. All the same, there's still allot of information you can get from it. The first thing I'd go back to would be angles in the pose [I know that you're not going for an exact copy but there are some places where the positions Titian chooses are more difficult to reproduce than what you have and therefore duplicating them would enhance the utility of this exercise] for example, Orion has his head at an angle where more of the head's top is visible in the original than the stricter profile of your copy shows [legs are also farther apart and calves are fuller in the original]. The angle of Diana's body is also very important to this piece; Titian shows us more of her rear and that makes the angle of her leg make sense. As she is in your copy her anatomy just feels wrong, she isn't a believable figure. I don't think that you should check every last detail or anything, it just seemed to me that the original creates visual challenges that it might be a good exercise for you to address and surmount, the ones are just a few that struck me first.

Color is a harder issue for you to deal with in this case because the original is so faded. That said, it seems to me that even if the colors were in their original state yours would be to saturated; they call to mind Gauguin rather than the precision of Titian and, sadly, this most difficult area of his work to address is the most significant. Titian is known for his use of color and if there's any area of art in which he holds sway it would certainly by as a colorist. To address this challenge I would suggest looking at other pieces [http://medializzy.files.wordpress.co...us_urbino.jpg] and looking at how colour is used in them. With that knowledge you should be able to supplement the information the faded original gives you and end up with a final product more evocative of the man you wish to learn from and emulate.

I don't mean any of this to sound discouraging, I think the enterprise you're starting is very ambitious and that the progress you've made is wonderful. I hope you stick with it and learn allot. Plus I'd love to see that whole series of Titian copies people mentioned XD. Good luck.
    I have nothing interesting to say but here's my sketchbook, perhaps you'll think I've drawn something interesting XD http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=167964

Thanks
    Hey, great art. My only crit is that if you do not use colours in harmony, then all the elements in your work will not look like they belong in the same image.

Lommis' Creative Illustration is a great book to refer to for colour harmony, if you haven't read it already.

Best of luck with your art. Keep updating.
    Last edited by Vritra; June 28th, 2010 at 02:03 AM. Reason: Spell check
    Sketchbooks

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    Braintree, I did have a look at it in greyscale and it works pretty well as is.
    Cool, keep it up with the good work

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Jonas_J For This Useful Post:

Page 59 of 159 FirstFirst ... 9 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 109 ... LastLast