Sketchbook: Black Spot's Sketches - Page 8
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 72 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Spot's Sketches

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You’re right Grandma, but I started it as a challenge to finish on time. I was working on another contest that I’ve bailed out for this, but I’ll finish it my own time and satisfaction regardless. The Battle of the Sexes and this competition has really pushed me hard and I’ve learnt so much by doing them. I’m not concerned about winning, more the participating and not falling short in my own eyes as that’s what counts. Thanks for being a great friend.

alesoun, I read that comment and didn’t know what to say. Your daughter is very attractive as you’ve done her. It seems that some people can only think of magazine type beauties, when the world is full of different types – so closed minded.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I totally overworked the hair. luckily I saved it as something else at the middle one as I know I tend to overwork stuff.

Name:  nb 1309e.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  267.7 KB

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    LOL! My daughter is a size 8. I guess I screwed up on the painting. She liked it, though.

Actually, she's a blonde and I have a pic of her with wet hair that's starting to dry that I could send you to use as ref for the hair if that would help....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    She looks a healthy size, more like a netball player except if she’s a size 8, she must be tiny. Nothing wrong with being pocket sized - didn’t do Kylie any harm.

I have plenty of refs, thanks for the offer. I keep following blondes about in the street as well. If you don’t hear from me, I’ve been arrested.

Did a couple of hours this morning – much better.

Name:  nb 1409es.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  510.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice you gave in my SB.
    On this piece, I think the hair should have more variation to it, colourwise and in form as well. To me it now looks rather flat and like the strains of hair are pretty much the same thickness. Keep it up, you are doing good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes Rotor, I've been working on it and other bits. Still needs loads more but I'm chipping away at it.

Name:  nb 1509b.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  411.3 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Everything is really come'n together i like the water time fer a swim

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 775 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Looks great so far. It might be nice to darken the area around/under her outstretched hand a little to pop it a bit. Right now it's getting a little lost because the lip of the shell is so light. Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven’t finished with the water Grandma, so you’ll have to save your bikini for a bit longer. Actually I have been working a bit more on it.

Dierat, I have darkened it a bit and will do more. Keep the crits coming.

Finally, the hair is nearly there, just going to add a few stray strands around later. The water needs more darks and the tips of foam need to be brighter. The main problem I have is her stomach. Tomorrow I’m going in with the scalpel, don’t hold me back nurse.

I keep trying to upload pictures too big for here; it’s just that I want you to see all the detail.

Name:  nb 1709b.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  433.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Work on the stomach area today. I had about four false starts. I’m learning to do alterations in different layers and then merge them down only when I’m happy. It’s not perfect yet, just a bit better. You know I haven’t painted a navel in over 20 years! The legs, especially the left one needs the shading sorting out. The more I work on it, the more I can see wrong. Learning a new program at the same time isn’t easy either, but I am getting the hang of it.

Name:  nb 1809h.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  335.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just after I posted my picture last night I saw tons more wrong with it. Been working hard today and hopefully it shows.

Name:  nb 1909g.jpg
Views: 271
Size:  304.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good job on this last one!
    Watch out with blacks in shadows. This picture is so light so dont use any blacks in it. Look at referense pictures and try to bring out more from your colors they are a bit flat and pastelly looking. I take it you are aiming for realistic so use a lot of reference for the colors.
    Keep it up!
    Mahalo!

Björn Silfverberg

B-Mans Spanking

Friends sketchbooks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for dropping by B-Man. I’ve been reducing the dark shadows a fair bit, but she’s still not pink enough. You would think after being grown in a shell, she’d take on some of the colours of ‘Mum’. I do test in greyscale every now and then to check.

Been computing the last two days. Didn’t do anything yesterday because I was so knackered. Back to the office tomorrow, so I should feel more like it then. Thought I was going to get rid of a couple of kids next Sunday, but that’s been put on hold for another week. I still need to work on the stomach area and reduce her weight. And I might be naughty and have a few pubes showing.

Name:  nb 2109cs.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  427.0 KB

Name:  nb 2109csg.jpg
Views: 247
Size:  331.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been working on the shell today. Yes, every single node is individually done. I think it's going to make it more iridescent looking.

Name:  nb 2209cs.jpg
Views: 242
Size:  460.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks great; I really like the wave coming up in the back. No crits, just keep at it!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still working on the shell, and that bit should be finished tomorrow. It's tedious, but I'll get there. Then there's the water before I go back to hair and body. Polish, polish, polish.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You've nailed that "just waking up from a dream" look.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to alesoun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is what I did yesterday, most of today and what I'm continuing with for the rest of the evening. It's mind numbingly boring, but I've now done about 20 hours and reckon another eight will complete the shell before I start on the water. This is going down to the wire.

Name:  nb 2609as.jpg
Views: 254
Size:  493.6 KB

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOCCKSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You spent a long time working on that piece and getting it right - it payed off! Fantastic to see how you worked at it from start to finish. Very well done!

Sketchbook | Art Blog | Portfolio

True progress means matching the world to the vision in our heads.
    But we always change the vision instead.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to HAJiME For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't finished yet. Taken a day and half off to work on it - sod spending quality time with the kids - they can wait. Hubby is cooking tonight and the kettle's full to go for coffee. This is my lunch break before I begin the marathon session. I've wasted too many years not shooting for the moon and even though it's unlikely I'll win, I know I've gone that much further.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Spot View Post
    Hubby is cooking tonight and the kettle's full to go for coffee.
    Sounds great! Good luck and have fun!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well he half cooked it and I had to finish, and he took me out of my zone!

I've started on the water finally. It's not finished by a long way and it'll need flecks of highlights and some deep shadows, but it's looking less like a vector scribble.

Name:  nb 2809cs.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  408.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the last one. Cool style you have.

If you don't mind I have a lot of critique on this one: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...3&d=1248636319
    I know it's a bit late to come with critique now when you're almost finished, but a least you can keep the stuff in mind till next time. Anyway..
    Good stuff first: You have a really nice texture going, and I can't believe you really painted all those dots yourself.:o The water looks pretty good too, although it could've looked more like water

Tips:
    1. Use a bigger brush! Small details are nice, but if you loose track of the big picture, it will end up looking flat.
    2.It needs more contrast. Low contrast is one of the reasons it's looking a bit flat at the moment...
    3. You could darken the shell behind the lady to separate her from the background more.
    4. Anatomy. It can't get better unless you practise. I'm not so good on anatomy myself, so I won't say much about that.

It's easier to explain by painting it then writing it so I did a little paintover. I hope you don't mind.

What I did:
    1. Darkened the shell behind her to bring the silhouette forward.
    2. Darkened the side-planes of her body. Roughly at least..
    3. Raised her navel.
    4. Used dodge on her face.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the paint over, but that’s a bit too far from my vision as I want a softer picture.

Still not finished, but here’s an update. The water still needs more work. Do you like the tattoo?

Name:  nb 2909hs.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  494.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the tattoo could handle being a little larger. I didn't even see it until I read the text in your post. I like the placement though; I think it helps make that area a bit more interesting. Maybe make the green of the sea in the top left a little more neutral so it seems to be further away in space than the water in the foreground. And sorry to hear you had to finish supper

32. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That looks much better! I still think you should do something with the far side of the shell though, because the silhouette of the girl doesn't really read well for me atm. Either darken it down or change the shape a bit? Not really that big though..

oh, and I think the navel is a little bit too low.

Keep it up!!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to zelda_geek For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I redid the entire water and didn't like it this evening.

Yep, dierat that's exactlt what I'm going to do with the water tomorrow. The tattoo is more prominent when the picture is bigger.

zelda I might move the navel a bit tomorrow if I have the time. Sorry I'm short, but after working 2 months on this, I want it finished.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i LOOOOVE THE TATOO!!!!! KEPP ROCK'N TO THE FINISHLINE

37. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is it. I can't do anymore in the time - I'm stressing out as is. I'll post it in the Newborn thread and then email it off later tonight. Thanks for all your help and encouragement. I've learnt so much by doing this and next time I'll be that much stronger.

Name:  Newborn-Birth of Venuss.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  478.6 KB

Page 8 of 72 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 58 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 322