Sketchbook: Black Spot's Sketches - Page 15
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 15 of 72 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 65 ... LastLast
    Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,375 Times in 3,596 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to leave the picture for a bit, because I'm too close to it. Sitting back and not thinking about it is always a good idea.

Dierat I use the same colours as I would with oils or pastels. Skin has so many colours that pink hardly gets a look in.

I'm going to do a concept character for a friend to make in 3D and animate. He's a non-posting member here and I keep trying to get him post his stuff up so I can see. It's going to be very simple and naked, so don't expect any whizz bang ideas from me.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tried to another SP today, but it's too scary to post. Instead I give you dogs I made for a young friend's website - he wants them for buttons.

Name:  dog5.png
Views: 287
Size:  138.1 KBName:  doga1.png
Views: 286
Size:  125.4 KB

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I cropped my SP to hide most of the errors.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the sp is not that bad, but try something else: take a hard, round brush, make it greyscale and do a simple, unblurred portrait!!!! no fancy colors
    keep it up

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jatherip For This Useful Post:

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like the fact there are so many butterflies - and they're all in a different pose! Nice! You just made your lady surreal. Now put some light back in there!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The dogs look pretty good, I'll bet they are fun to paint.
    The sp, It's really not as bad as you might think, Theres a bit of sci fi/fantasy look to it. So even if that went really far from your intention, it still looks ok to me. I think it will help to limit the colour used a bit though, to make it more uniform.
    Id like to see where you struggled with it as it may help me see better your problem.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to seagulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i miss your updates comme baccckK!!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jatherip For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't gone away, just rearranging things: the furniture, my picture & my website.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, Black Spot. The self portrait turned out nice.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to NicG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wasn't going to go life drawing today, but the organiser wanted some advice. Here's just a couple that don't stink. 2 and 20 minutes.

Name:  02141109.JPG
Views: 250
Size:  48.4 KB

Name:  20-141109.JPG
Views: 258
Size:  191.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh!
    The last study is a nice one.
    Perhaps her upper body is a bit too long in this perspective.
    But i only think, not know xD
    Go on with these studies, they are great!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Lukas Esch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -Missy, you and I need to do our feet and hands studies, stat!
    We could probably rule the world if we did more of them.

-I love the dogs, their eyes look alive. If it's not finished yet, the mouth on the right dog could use some tweaks - more fur/hair overhangs on the corner mouths maybe.

-I don't mind looking at your errors. It could probably add a different feel on my side, and that means bonus points in my book. I just like to see how you progress through the squiggles and into those real looking desserts a few posts back. /E

19. The Following User Says Thank You to vardoburrito For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Silwynar she was very lanky. Actually her side view was such that her waist was almost non-existent to look surreal.

Dwardo I wasn't intending to go life drawing, but the organiser wanted some advice. Here are a couple more. The first is the entire page of 2 minutes and the second is where I made her a man with boobs. The two I posted earlier were the only two that I concentrated on from the start - it makes a big difference, but my mind was elsewhere on the other things I needed to do - such is family life.

The model was Russian with a boyish haircut. Her neck and shoulder area was interesting. She had a nice bum as well. A few of us went for a drink afterwards and she was a really nice person too.

Name:  141109-2min.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  201.2 KB

Name:  141109-20min.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  126.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Like the dogs, and the studies are going well

I would echo the part about getting some sharper edges and less blur, to define some of your drawings better.

Keep going!

"The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Sorknes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Indeed there are too many butterflies and they 're all in the same plane none in the forground nor in the background they distract the viewer's point of view, bringing some in the foreground wisely could help bring a dynamic to your painting (or so i think).

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Feil Magnus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The life drawings are not bad , I think you just need more practice, hehe as my teacher tells me a lot.
    I'm no master myself, but when you draw them, try squinting at your drawings and the model, just enough to make them blurry. To help break them up into shapes and shades of value. This should work well for the tonal drawing.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to seagulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I need loads more practice - it's just time I'm short of. Taking account of all the recent comments about soft edges, colour etc, it's time to get intimately acquainted with my left hand. It's not brilliant, but a start. Also bearing in mind that I have a double jointed thumb, I will be having a bit of fun with it.

Name:  hand171109es.jpg
Views: 233
Size:  32.1 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think you should stay away from the soft brushes all together, and if you really want to use them only do so in the final stages when you're smoothing everything out

Here's a nice brush tutorial by Randis from here on CA... http://www.facebook.com/video/video....8720&ref=share . It's on facebook so I think you might need to join the group or something before you can see it... I found it really helpful myself

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

29. The Following User Says Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies, I think the long one came out pretty good.
    Use sure lines and also try to remember the form of the object, simplify it in your mind if needed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tobbA View Post
    I think you should stay away from the soft brushes all together, and if you really want to use them only do so in the final stages when you're smoothing everything out

Here's a nice brush tutorial by Randis from here on CA... http://www.facebook.com/video/video....8720&ref=share . It's on facebook so I think you might need to join the group or something before you can see it... I found it really helpful myself
    this is totally right! randis will help you alot! hard round one all the way

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use the round brush in PhotoPlus (not PhotoShop, which I don't have as I can't afford it) and opacity generally about 20%. I work from a sketch, sometimes on paper and sometimes straight onto the computer. I then apply colour starting big and working smaller. Then I tighten it all up.

While this might not be the right way of doing things digitally per the book, it is the right way traditionally, which is where I will be returning to in the near future when I've sorted some space out. It is also the way I work. The video was of no use to me due to different program and that I already set my brush large, albeit at 20% opacity.

This is my hand that I'm in the middle of. No section is finished, but the thumb and index finger are close. I built a new desk for myself today and the lighting changed, which I will incorporate into the picture.

Name:  hand191109hs.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  48.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for reminding me I have a SB. ^^

And that hand is coming along dashingly! It's great to see you notice the different hues and warmth. My best hard critique, is pushing depth. Really push those darks back to bring out the light.

Investing some money in Photoshop can help a lot, a lot lot. You should put it on the top of your Christmas list!

All in all, the pieces are coming together. Only a matter of time

SECONDS: Do you work from life of photographs?
    FRAZETTA: I work from my head.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm black spot im pretty sure you're better of with gimp http://www.gimp.org/
    than PhotoPlus, gimp is free and pretty okay. I once received a crit not to use opacity below 60%, it makes your lines look unconfident and messy, which probably is where your "edge" problem comes from. If you're more in to traditional stuff I would choose painter as the target for your investment or to put on your chrismas wish light.

good work tho

"Take credit for anything embedded in the edit as long as you ment it when you said It"

Sketchbook <-nsfw|Deviantart | Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am Father Christmas in my house, but with a mortgage and three kids means I'm not going to get PhotoShop. PhotoPlus can do pretty well every thing PS can do (just haven't found all the buttons yet) and I won it at zero cost. I've tried Gimp and not found it very user friendly - it's still loitering on my computer.

I'm doing this study to show that I can work hard edges, even if it doesn't look totally convincing yet. The reason I use 20% is because I treat it like chalk pastels. I also need to find the limitations of my method of working before moving on, like I did with my vector still lives. I pushed sketching with them to as far as I think I could reasonably take them without getting bogged down with technicalities.

With most traditional techniques, except water colour, if you make a mistake you just paint over it. Building up the colours by overlaying them is also a valid technique, which is what I'm working on at the moment.

Below my updated hand that I'm still working on, is an old oil A6 on Daler board showing that I could mix colours direct without overlaying.

Name:  hand191109ls.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  58.9 KB

Name:  perfume s.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  208.7 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I know it's not finished, but the thumb and first two fingers are starting to look good.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to alesoun For This Useful Post:

Monkeydominator is offline Doesn't know about your pencil Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, those skin tones are coming along GREAT! Looks really vivid! Also adore that still-life, but you might want to give the objects a cast shadow. It'll give them more of a presence.

Keep it uuuuup!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Monkeydominator For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They are looking good. Its odd that you use the brushes at the lower opacity, as I just change the layers opacity to get the effect where things are built up.
    Personally a bit funny going from oil paints to digital, Only used them for a few weeks in class but you can get his nice texture, traditional feel to doing things but also can be expensive. Then I use photoshop and you get this level of control and speed but they loose a bit of character, however costs nothing over time. So there's a bit I like about both but the biggest reason for digital is speed.
    To me the main reason I would go for photoshop over gimp or paintshop is the amount of tutorials and userbase not so much the price.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to seagulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good, for digital work I would recommend making the transition from the large strokes to the thin strokes more gradual. Block it in with a big brush like you do but then keep sizing it down in a gradual manner.

I also notice that you work from one end to another, that works well with a pencil but with digital I would recommend to try to work on the whole piece at once. That way you can see the progression of detail much better. And it is easier to spot mistakes.

Are you flipping your canvas from time to time? That can help out too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alesoun - thanks.

Monkeydominator - cheers for the thumbs up. The still life was painted 30 years ago. I can't get my oils out until my youngest learns not to touch things.

Seagulls, I did that a lot in my Newborn entry with the later, but found it artificial, even if it did the job. I'm not into speed as that's not where I want to be in the future. My hand is going to take probably another week and this is just a study.

Laxon, thanks for visiting. I sort of work the way I want and only change when it doesn't. Perverse maybe, but it's the way I learn. To get the skin tone, I scribble (literally) at 1 pixel. As you can imagine covering an area at 1 pixel 20% opacity is total madness, but it works for me at the moment or maybe I'm just mad, which is entirely plausible.

Name:  hand191109ps.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  74.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, Black Spot! That's admirable, I must say, to scribble with a 1px brush! O_O I couldn't stand it! >_< Anyway, that skin tone is cool on the hands! The white on the left gives it a hairy look, though. I haven't read through everything, so I don't know if that's you're intention. But if anything, I can certainly feel that texture. o_o Funky!

Cooool still life! That looks so nice and glowly! All those bottles! I have a thing for bottles... True, they may need a cast/drop shadow or something. At the same time, lacking one gives them this neat "promotional" look. Like those bottles are ALL that matter. That's great!

Page 15 of 72 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 65 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 327