Sketchbook: Black Spot's Sketches - Page 14
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 14 of 72 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 64 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Spot's Sketches

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I wouldn't take anything you say the wrong way as I know you'll have thought things through first.

I will be bouncing colours from one object to another, but at the moment I'm trying to keep them clean. I've made too many errors in the past by trying to unify too early. The dark wash is just a layer on the top and I'll work a fair bit before I've finished. Her skin is full of different colours already with orange, green and blue fighting it out in there. I was hoping that you'd see that her left side of her face was slightly scrunched up as she's sleeping. From the picture I've posted below (a close up) her nose needs a bit more moulding. Have you ever watched your children sleeping and seen just one corner of the mouth rise in a smile? That is what I'm going for in the face. I lowered the left eye a fair bit from the beginning to bring it into line, now you're going to make me think again - rats!

For the composition, there are additional elements to bring in that will make it more balanced. The points I'll look at and consider, as I do with every comment.

Name:  dreaming.JPG
Views: 278
Size:  35.6 KB

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One of your characters above looks kinda stiff, you're committing the same mistake I was, or maybe I'm still committing it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to andres333 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just my preference but I actually like the closeup image a bit better than the scene , there isn't any of those other parts fighting for attention and it looks peaceful.
    She does appear a little bruised, but I'm not sure if that's me being vain, or if it really is like that.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to seagulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, TASmith gave some great help and advice on the last page, thanks for that!

So I'm afraid I don't really have anything else to add, but I do think the last upadte is an impovement on the face!

I really like the figure drawings on the last page too, some good indication of light and form. Your lines are a bit messy, but as you've already identified that I'm sure you'll improve it in no time

Thanks agagin for the help in my sb, and your quite welcome to come by and nit pick whenever you wish!
    Thanks,
    matt

Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JailHouseRock2 For This Useful Post:

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Cool, I know I shouldn't have to worry about one of the clearest minds on CA. I was just going through Frank Cho's website (just found it), and I saw a great image that shows what I'm talking about with hair:

EDIT: Darn, the link takes you to image one in a series. Look at the seventh image - the sitting woman, inked.

http://www.libertymeadows.com/gallery/ART2/index.html

It still reads as black hair, but wow.. And this applies no matter what style you're going for.

Last edited by TASmith; October 20th, 2009 at 07:42 AM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Andres, I’m not sure which character you’re talking about. The Nibru is the only ‘character’ on that page and he’s supposed to be stiff as he’s a baron and most likely wearing a corset (men did in ye olde days).

Seagulls, I like the close up as well. I’m working on reducing the bruising. When the full composition is done I might change my mind. I’m trying to do an allegory of love and will probably fall flat on my face, but that’s all part of the learning progress.

Cheers Matt, always glad to know when one’s going in the right direction.

TAS, I really want her hair to be a mass of tumbling curls. I know about the ribbon technique and your linked picture had smooth hair. Don’t worry that I’m not listening, I am, just having to make decisions in my own way when I’m ready.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, aligned the eyes a bit better, got rid of the 'bruising' and put some highlights in the hair.

Name:  211009f.JPG
Views: 238
Size:  27.4 KB

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think you need to zoom out again to the whole image for me to gauge how it looks or what's changed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I rotated the face to check the alignment of the eyes. At the moment I'm working on the other elements to bring the whole picture together. the table isn't finished, there are objects to be placed on it. Then there is the explosion of life that is coming.

Name:  221009b.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  102.9 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 774 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Looks great so far!

For checking the alignment/symmetry, I find it easier to flip the canvas. I set it to a keyboard shortcut so I can flip and flip back quickly and easily (I dunno if you can do that in the program you're using; I use Photoshop).

For a crit, the elipses in the birdcage and the table need adjusted. Right now they are all the same shape, which should be impossible. The way elipses work in perspective is, the elipse that is sitting on the eye level line will appear to be a straight line, and the elipses will become wider as they move up and down from the eye level.

Here's a page from a drawing workbook I had to read in college that illustrates my point:

I think the eye level in your image would be around just under the top of her head or so, so this is how I would adjust your elipses based on that assumption.
    Name:  221009b_po1.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  205.9 KB

On second thought I think the eye level is closer to the arm because of the perspective there, so maybe around the top of the face?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks dierat, I was being very lazy with the bird cage. I actually have the viewer closer, almost voyeuristic. Re-did the cage and left the table as is. I hope it works better. The plate is on the napkin, so it is going to be off. I'm also posting a greyscale picture - the glass needs more highlights and the bottom of the napkin needs to be darker.

Name:  241009fg.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  88.7 KB

Last edited by Black Spot; October 24th, 2009 at 03:31 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey, interesting piece! the serene expression was nailed here, and that drapery is stunning @___@! I think though, that when you retouch, you should play a little with the hand--the pink looks a little plump at the base ;D also, just a suggestion and you probably meant it like this, but maybe you should add little candle-highlights, just to add a simple pop to the piece and give it a slightly more dramatic atmosphere? don't know. Anyway, such improvement in your sketchbook! I haven't been by in a while.

Last edited by Jaytea; October 24th, 2009 at 05:10 PM.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Jaytea For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The birdcage looks a lot better I think. And the table will be fine. Just be sure that the ellipses that are close to each other (vertically speaking) are the same or it will be very noticeable to the audience. The little plate feels like it has a wider ellipse than the table, and the cup's upper ellipse is very narrow. An easy way to check is just copy/paste the table into a new layer, shrink it down and lay it on top of your plate or cup and adjust the drawing based on that. (Of course the ellipse for the top of the goblet will be narrower than the table; right now it feel slightly too narrow, but step back and use your best judgement.)

Last edited by dierat; October 24th, 2009 at 03:59 PM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Stupid attachment didn't attach - sorted now.

Jaytea, candlelight is perfect. I wanted a soft lighting to keep the picture serene, so an odd flicker shouldn't be to obtrusive. I've thought about the pinkie before and might adjust it at the end. The hand is quite old fashioned at the moment and I sort of like it, but I know what you mean.

Dierat, I'll look at the glass again tomorrow and mess around with the ellipses. It's fun drawing from my imagination, and I know I'm going to get it wrong sometimes. It's funny that I told someone last week that they needed to practice their ellipses and now I've been hoisted by my own petard. I think it's the law of the internet - bit like correcting someone's grammar.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Often when I'm making a comment like that on someone else's work, it'll suddenly dawn on me that I really need to work on that too. That's just how it goes I guess; the learning process is like cleaning a house - it just never seems to end

23. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like the last one....
    but why dont you get the "final" values down? ha, probably thats a technique i dont know....
    anyways, keep an eye on the light direction! the angle of the light changes from the face to the arm....uh.....i hope you get what i mean it comes from the left on the face and from above on the arm!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to jatherip For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't paint in black and white and just check every now and then. Probably doing it the wrong way round, but I seem to like working that way at the moment - things may change next week, month, year. You can take a horse to water etc... Thing is I used to paint in values with oils, so I should know better. The thing with digital painting, it can be so fluid that I don't have to make my mind up as to what I'm doing until later, which might be a good or bad thing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is a little dark, the details are really good though. My eye tends to go straight towards the face, as I think both it and the hands are expressive.
    The perspective Is looking really good and the right level. Love that symbolism with the bird cage, Its like there is just enough information to make a story with and I combine the pieces just like the death watch painting. I think this one is a bit stronger though.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to seagulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    DONT BE LAZY YOUNG WOMAN GET TO WERK AN SHOW ME MOAR AWESOMENESS HAHA ... REALLY THIS IS MAGNIFICENT now JUST BRING IT HOME PLEASE THANKYOU HAHA

30. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah what he said!
    Thanks for dropping by my SB.
    You are going at it again I see, I love how how much patience you have to work on the same piece from start to finish.
    The values seem to be coming pretty nicely on this one, I think the shadow falling on the table leg from the top could be a bit larger because of the light.
    Keep at it girl, you are rocking!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Rotor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your Battle of the Sexes came out nice, however, the picture frame on the dresser.
    Perspective, on purpose? (It's not a supernatural reference is it)

Your pieces always have some story (sweet) and your squiggles always come out nice.
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showpos...&postcount=401
    The snacks on the table is calling me right now. *drool*

Last but not least, what's the dealio with your animation bro, when am I going to see
    some updates.

(email if you need some Lightwave, Adobe After Effects, Adobe Premiere help)

34. The Following User Says Thank You to vardoburrito For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rotor, there are a ton of shadows that I've got to put in. I just upped the work by sticking a load more things in, but everyone will have to wait a bit for that.

Swardo, great to see you again. I;ll be back onto the animation soon. Just got an itch I have to scratch at the moment. Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on that. Now I just need an audio engineer.

Gave myself a bit of a break and messed around for half an hour with my imagination.

Name:  face.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  34.9 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Like the sleeping woman. But... Her hair is too high. It's like there's a big chunk of hair above her that's resting on nothing... Or maybe that's just her haircut. But I think it should lie more flatly on her head

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

37. The Following User Says Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thats a fairly spooky painting. I'm looking forward to the next update. I notice you're really good at painting food. And it's making me hungry.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tobba I tried to reduce her hair but it just looked wrong.

seagulls I nicked the food from something I did earlier in the best Blue Peter tradition.

I've been practising faces ready for tomorrow with mixed results. I quite like these eyes - the bridge of the nose leaves a lot to be desired.

Name:  t eyes.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  49.8 KB

Too many or should there be more butterflies. I'll be working on those other points brought up soon. Please be patient.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yay, update!
    1. keep an eye on the structure....just draw in some guidelines and youll see what i mean ^^.
    2.the butterflies would probably look better if they were of different sizes and colors...dunno and id use them as a compostitional element! they look abit random placed right now....make them lead the viewers eye in the piece!
    keep it up

41. The Following User Says Thank You to jatherip For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to tone most of them down later, but it's self portrait day. About 3 hours from a mirror (I reversed it as well).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice update. The butterflies are good but I would be careful to not make the image too busy as they add lots of detail. Thats a nice self portrait. I Think maybe the edges are a bit soft.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to seagulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More butterflies: Some slightly larger ones, and some with depth of focus.
    (Is it suppose to be dark? or such is the work-flow that always surprises me)

I love those eyes (posts 415, 417), like a vampire - or a rabbit?
    I adore the Golden feel of 417.

*Puts a new dressing on your toes*
    Stay cool Black Spot.

/E

46. The Following User Says Thank You to vardoburrito For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the portraits; you have such an interesting use of color.

For the butterflies, personally I think there are way too many. They feel like pests to me whereas if you had a couple of small groups, they would appear more precious. But that's just my personal response to the piece.

48. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Page 14 of 72 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 64 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 312