Sketchbook: Black Spot's Sketches - Page 12
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 12 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 62 ... LastLast

Thread: Black Spot's Sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The stuff from life looks great! all the best!

Björn Silfverberg

B-Mans Spanking

Friends sketchbooks
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to B-Man For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,366 Times in 3,589 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    jatherip my anatomy is not perfect, but I'm working on it. As to colours, I do see the world as a bright myriad of rainbow colours and need to bring that in. Sometimes in competition pieces I tighten up a bit too much and can't give myself free rein. I'm working on that too.

Grandma with meetup.com, you can ask people to join as models. If it's your group, you can reject them. You have charm here and I'm sure you have charm in real life, so use it - be cheeky - they can only say no.

Might be able to get a notebook and use it for life drawing. I really want this so I really hope it's up to spec.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know what your looking to spend but I've bought a couple of computers here (http://www.clearanceclub.com) and had good luck with them. They recently had some Fujuitsu tablets I was eyeing befor my car broke down. This last one I bought at Best Buy and it was junk. Good luck!
    My computer just fell apart. I have one I'll be able to use for a while but I was thinking that when I can afford it I might look at buying a tablet computer so I can use it for drawing. If you get a tablet let me know how you like it...

Last edited by NicG; September 11th, 2009 at 01:32 PM. Reason: noticed I mispelled eyeing :)

6. The Following User Says Thank You to NicG For This Useful Post:

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Unfortunately, they're in the US. I'm going to contact Virgin tomorrow and see what exactly it will cost me. I've done my research, and anything unexpected will make me back away pretty quickly. They just replaced our set-top box today, and I found out that it wasn't actually working properly for some time, so I might swing a rebate. I don't actually watch the television so was only vaguely aware that having everyone looking fat was not the norm. If the mobile broadband is included and not an extra, I might be tempted, as phone call cost reduction would pay about half of the increase, and then having an extra set box would make my eldest eternally grateful. I don't really want the mobile broadband - CA would fill up the 3GB limit in less than a week let alone a month.

Enough about that and getting back to drawing. When the Battle of Sexes is over, I'm going to concentrate on areas where I am weak and maybe relearn bits where I can see I'm going wrong. As there was no life class today, I decided to redo one I did last Saturday and try to learn a bit more. It's not perfect, but a reasonable start. BTW the face is nothing like the model's and I removed all the tassels under her bra.

Name:  120909d.jpg
Views: 420
Size:  57.1 KB

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think she looks great. Very realistic... At first glance I mistook her for a photo.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to NicG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, I'm trying to improve bit by bit. This morning I thought I'd colour it and stick in a background.

Name:  120909h.jpg
Views: 386
Size:  140.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks very good blackspot.
    Just a little tip I got from life drawing- be aware that the highlight may not be as bright over the whole person even though it can appear so.
    There are still light and dark parts but my teacher was showing me that you gotta compare them over the whole image to decide how bright and dark to make them.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to seagulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    She was supposed to be olive skinned, but I made it muddy. Her face should be a lot darker. This is why I want a small laptop to draw from life. I don't have the time to work it in pastels, which I'd really like, but most of the poses are only 20 minutes.

I miss the days when I had the same model in the same pose every day for a whole week. When I did sculpture, the model was for 3 weeks, except she had to take a few days off to lie on her back with her feet in the air. I have so much respect for models that can hold a pose for ages, as I can't still still for more than two minutes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like her in color too...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't stopped drawing, just been experimenting and generally making a mess.

Today I went life drawing. It was burlesque again and the model was pretty good, except that she suffered a bit on the last pose.

2 minutes, 2 minutes, 20 minutes, 30 minutes, 20 minutes.

Name:  a 2 min.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  65.3 KB

Name:  b 2 min.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  73.8 KB

Name:  c 20 min.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  179.1 KB

Name:  d 30 mins.jpg
Views: 337
Size:  122.4 KB

Name:  e 30 mins.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  85.0 KB

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    WWOOOOOWWWWWWW KILLER UPDATES!!!!!!!! yer life draw'n skills are AWESOME!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bum! I thought I had another week to finish Good Day to Die. Never mind, I've posted what I've done. Work has been hell the last couple of weeks, and will be until the end of the month. Deadlines? I know about them and I won't enter a competition that has a September deadline again. I have five jobs that I need to complete to a stage where in a court of law I can state that sufficient work was done - no pressure then.

Name:  Good Day to Die.jpg
Views: 323
Size:  202.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This last post is sweet! I really like it! One thing dough. clean it up by using less black in shadows. It makes parts of the painting look dirty. like in the red chair on the right. Mahalo! and may the force be with you!

Björn Silfverberg

B-Mans Spanking

Friends sketchbooks

22. The Following User Says Thank You to B-Man For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Too late, but I am aware of the dirty quality and that's what I've been experimenting with - trying to eradicate it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Black Spot, I loved this concept from the start and as much as I would like to have seen your final plan for it it looks great the way it is. Nice work... you put a lot of time into it and it shows.

25. The Following User Says Thank You to NicG For This Useful Post:

TASmith is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The chair looks fine. It's the characters you should work on more. The boy in the foreground looks much better. You should work on the man by the bed with the blue shirt. His shirt is one flat color. Think about shadow and highlight on his shirt, and also about him casting a shadow on the wall behind him. The base of the bed should also be in shadow. There should be a stronger contrast between the plane of it in shadow, and the upper rim relfecting light. I'd work more on the ghost figure rising from the bed as well. You can emphasize her transparency by playing more with the shadows on the wall behind her.

The figure painting above of the black woman is good, but her head's too small.

You're making big improvements here and it's fun to watch!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The second life drawing I think turned out really well for 2 minutes. And such a tiny waist, is it really that small?

The 'good day to die' painting turned out fairly good. I think the parts, pieces and idea were the strongest part. Maybe theres a little too much information in the picture If that makes sense. I find it just a bit crowded to look at.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to seagulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the replies guys and gals.

TAS I know, but I'm still learning how to do things on the computer with turning everything to chocolate - mmm chocolate...

seagulls, her waist was tiny. When you wear a corset for any length of time it sort of does that and she is a professional burlesque dancer. Yes, the picture is crowded, but I wanted to force the viewers' eye to look around.

There is a lot more I wanted to do, but I learnt a lot as well. Onwards and upwards.

Working from one of my life drawings, this is an experiment. I'm going to change her legs as I don't like the position.

Name:  220909as.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  67.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's cool how you're using your sketches from life drawing and expanding on them. I noticed you did that for Newborn as well. I know you're just getting started on this but I really like the way the beads are looking.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think if you try using harder brushes it will help get rid of the 'dirty' look. Maybe try painting using only a few values. This will help keep lights away from darks, and should clean it up.

My Sketchbook

frazmctag@gmail.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also think harder brushes and some value studies will do wonders. They dont necessarily need to be using your life drawings, Just something from your life will do if short for time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I’m only using one brush, but it’s my blending that was all wrong. Starting to work it out.

Working title – “Need a piss, but can’t be fagged to get up as I might knock the jug over like I did with the glass”. Not exactly catchy. She will be a bit thinner next time.

Also added a couple of life drawings from yesterday. Barbarella was the theme.

Name:  270909gs.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  79.1 KB

Name:  a 26090920.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  113.7 KB

Name:  b 26090920.jpg
Views: 272
Size:  119.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello black spot I've been looking through your sb. One thing that struck me while looking through this thread was that you have some difficulty with the facial proportioning/placement, (Im probably miss-spelling that). my advice would be then to study faces alittle more. Cheers and keep up the good work.
    -Inc

"Take credit for anything embedded in the edit as long as you ment it when you said It"

Sketchbook <-nsfw|Deviantart | Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's more noses i have problems with, but I'm working on them. You have to take into account most of the models I'm doing life drawing from aren't professional art models; usually they're dancers, students, supplementing their income while they build a business etc - I do tend to natter to them during the break. The last one was okay in holding the pose, but her face moved every now and then, which was a shame as she was so pretty and I wanted to do her face.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Black Spot, have you tried using a complementary colour instead of black? I know zilch about digital, but it can work in trad..

38. The Following User Says Thank You to alesoun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd go one shade up from the black in any colour that you plan on being either represented a lot in the picture or the shadow colour I think instead of pure black. Has a tendency to twist the pic a bit weird unless it's a pure BW pic?

Love your lifes there, they're coming along very well indeed. And your BofS pic there is really nice, I like the idea a lot!

"The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    C G H U B SB Thread
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Sorknes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,154 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    HAHA AWESOME UPDATES THE WOMAN NEXT TO THE VASE IS HOT AN WOW SOO COOL YER LIFE DRAWING SESIONS HAVE THEMES tHATS A GREAT IDEA!!!! O' YEAH AN YOU RRRRRRRRRROCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!

42. The Following User Says Thank You to SMILEFACE For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There won’t be any black at the end, it was just having a dark colour in the background helped. Changed the arm, trimmed her down a bit, but I’ve lost some volume and shape. I want the skin to look sort of glowing.
    Name:  290909a.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  74.8 KB

After a couple of glasses of wine I broke out the pencils. This was done in between making dinner and a long phone call from my big brother.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice. I like the pencil drawing.

45. The Following User Says Thank You to NicG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,206 Times in 774 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Great work in here Black Spot! I love your figure drawings in post #340 (especially the 4th drawing in that post) and your re-paint in post #336. And your piece for the battle of the sexes turned out great! I think it's awesome to see how much your finished pieces are improving each time. Keep up the good work!

47. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Page 12 of 72 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 62 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 313