Follows
    Following

I want to breathe art!

Edit: I do like food.

okheregoesmysketchbook,Isuppose.
    Don't hesitate to criticize my stuff!
    I would really appreciate it.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by FearSelf; November 22nd, 2008 at 06:38 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a detailed figure studies I did for class. Uh I didn't really pay attention to backgrounds, so you must excuse the lack of background.
    I don't know what happened with the sketches. Prolly thrown away...
    Name:  figurestudies 001.JPG
Views: 1016
Size:  173.7 KB

Last edited by FearSelf; September 28th, 2008 at 10:13 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh yea I guess I need an introduction. Right now I'll just go by Fear, I'm just a High School student. Next year I'm taking AP art, my senior year. I am all for harsh crits. in the end it will make my work stronger, so please don't hesitate.

Last edited by FearSelf; November 22nd, 2008 at 06:39 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woo charcoal!

Name:  009.JPG
Views: 973
Size:  58.5 KB
    I didn't know what I was going to do when I picked up the charcoal, and I still don't know what I did.

Name:  still life 005.JPG
Views: 958
Size:  79.8 KB
    It's meh doggy I only got to sketch him for a little bit before he moved.

Name:  still life 003.JPG
Views: 985
Size:  130.6 KB
    This took me about 3 hours, I think, I lost track of time. I am kinda proud of this, but now that I look at it again I see so many things I need to change. Ah well. What do you think of the background? I'm not sure if I should change it or not, it doesn't really seem to help the picture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woo! someone else who uses watercolors! (which I'm really digging btw).

I'd have to say that my favorite piece is your first one with the girl on the cliff. It really stands out to me in terms of texture, color, vibrancy, composition, and plain old interest. The girl's head's actually too big and her arms don't match up perfectly but I really think that's irrelevant in that painting. You gave it a collagy feeling of whimsy that rendered staunch realism and other such nuances irrelevant in that case. If she was anatomically correct I really feel that as is it would detract from the piece instead of add. ...wow I should move on, haha.

Your watercolor pictures here really do stand out in this thread. It just looks like you've got more confidence with them than you've got with charcoal. Overall your charcoal work comes out a little muddy. You don't need to smudge everything and make it smooth. I had a teacher freshman year in high school, she wasn't actually much of a drawing teacher but really a jewelry teacher who had to take over the drawing classes after they laid off the actual drawing teacher >_>, but she wouldn't let us smudge any of the pencil in our work, at least when she was looking. A lot of kids thought it was bs and disregarded it but I'm a pansy rule follower and didn't go around bucking her silly rules. The thing was she was actually right about it. Many of the kids in the class were smudging the pencil to get that nice smooth shading but they had ended up using it as a bit of a crutch and by being forced to not use it anymore they, or at least I, came to realize that and instead build up tones the good old fashioned way and came out better for it. Smudging isn't useless, it has its place, but you should cultivate your skills at various ways of using the medium and tackling the problem of presenting an image on paper with mere ash. By using and discovering different approaches you can learn where to use and combine them for the maximum effect for each work.

Ok, a more specific crit: Your picture with the lady in the rocking chair, in it she doesn't really relax into the chair. Her back and the back of the chair are on entirely different planes and it looks like she's about to get up by the angle of her back and shoulder while her arms and legs tell that's she's relaxing in the chair and they contradict each other. Don't be so stiff, loosen up, and don't worry so much.

Right now I feel that you would benefit more by focusing a little less on rendering out full pieces with light and shade and instead work some on your straight up drawings particularly of living animals and figures, you're last ones are just looking so stiff, you could really stand to loosen up right now. Don't be afraid to take chances and make mistakes. It's the best way to learn and discover. And besides it's not like the whole world's judging your every move so don't draw like they are. I don't want to sound all high and mighty and preachy about all this but it's something I battled so much with in the fall and winter. I realized that I had been keeping myself in a box when it came to my art. I'm just an overachieving neurotic perfectionist, especially in my art, and realized how much it had been hurting me, though, to be honest it was helpful at times, but everything has its place, and that it all just wasn't worth it. And I am seeing those tendencies which I saw in my art when I was in that box in your art here, so that's what this big paragraph tried to explain I suppose.

Oh, and on your last pic, that still life, you're absolutely right about the background. It's just muddy smoke that doesn't do anything for your subject or complement it or whatever it is that you want it to do. Do more of that self crit stuff to. Ask yourself what's helping your pictures and what's dragging them down. Even if you don't bother to go back and change them you'll be that much the wiser and enlightened next time around the bend.

geez... maybe I should just right a book while I'm at it... -_-;;
    well, peace out :D

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Lizzybeth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, thank you Lizzybeth. =D
    I only have one watercolor in here which is the little girl, the rest are markers and water although I suppose it's the same concept.

I will keep that in mind not to go smudge crazy, although it is fun and messy...I think I'm going to try making a piece without smudging at all. That'll be interesting.

What do you think I could do to make the background look better? Just one uniform background either black or white?

Oh yea and I just really hate how I did the girl in the chair charcoal piece I did. The girl was sitting stiffly in the chair, and kept shifting around so I kept messing up. It's just bleh.

Last edited by FearSelf; June 12th, 2008 at 08:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

First things first, nice sketchbook! I seriously love the way that a good amount of your work seems to tell a story, keep that up!

I saw you on the Ringling thread, how you said you needed a crit on the last charcole piece you posted. Here goes, I suck at this so bear with me! The dark background is not working , it really detracts from the subjects so lighten it up, try to work for a wide range of tones rather than the ultra dark. A good way to do this is to look at some black and whit photography, this will help you with your tonal composition. The rendering is especially good on the right side form. As for the mug you can definately tell that it has a stainless steel texture going on. The glass jar on the left seems to be where the problem lies. While its wicked awesome that the image bends behind it, the specular highlights seem very off. With glass the highlights will be much sharper as theres less room for the light to scatter so sharpen them up a bit.

Also for working with charcole i suggest picking up a paper stump, they are cheap they totally kick ass and they allow to really push the charcole around, making it easy for you to taper off shadows and tones.

Sorry if this was extremely disjointed im on break at work and trying to write this up quick! Also just to let you know that clothed figure study is pretty sweet, you really did a great job in capturing the pose and its got some style.

Once again, I don't have any art training so this is just what came to mind while looking at the piece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not really a background expert my self... but I'd go with a dark black background, I think it would set it off a bit more. But not solid black, just mostly black with some dark grays mottled in on the edges and such to break it up some. I've recently noticed that solid backgrounds don't look nearly as good as something that, while it is generally the same, is broken up a bit. When you've got straight up solids it stands out an it's own which isn't what people usually go for with backgrounds.

CheesecakeBree is offline Skilled in the Art of Procrastination Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! You said in the other thread you'd like comments on that last charcoal piece.

The background looks like it was a little rushed... it needs something more to it. (I think Lizzybeth said something similar already.) It would be neat to see the edge of a table in the background, or at least some indication of what kind of surface the objects are sitting on. Fabric? Wood? etc.

Also, maybe you shouldn't link your sketchbook with the words 'poorly done'. I know it's hard not to devalue your own work, we all do it... but don't tell strangers your work sucks before they even get a chance to look at it. Be humble without putting yourself down. Your work isn't poor, it's just growing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha, I love that jimboslutstien and I totally disagree on the background. It's awesome. It's a good reminder to not listen to everything you hear and read. You're the artist and ultimately decide what's works best for you.

CheesecakeBree is offline Skilled in the Art of Procrastination Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think darkness or lightness won't really help... I'd just like to see more information conveyed about the surface the items are on, regardless of whether or not you go with a darker background or a lighter one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all the input.

jimboslutstein- Yea I noticed the background was just ruining the picture even more, I'm still not sure what to do with it. XD
    I didn't realize glass reflections where sharper, I guess I wasn't paying good enough attention. About the paper stump I do have some, but I think I'll stay away from them for now because I smudge too much as Lizzybeth said. But yea if I smudge I should use those.

Lizzybeth- Thanks for the input on the background, I don't like solid backgrounds either. I may or may not go darker, or I'll just start over and try again but from a different perspective.

Cheesecakebree- Putting something in the background is a good idea. It seems so simple. I think I'll try that. I guess I should change the link 'Poorly done', to er 'Growing sketchbook'. Thanks. ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just did this one really quickly while my brother was playing a video game. He wouldn't hold still long enough to do his face accuratly so I decided to give him a mohawk. =D

oh and I think I'll just start a different still life, and put everything I've learned from you guys in it. I can only look at something so long.

Name:  mohawk 002.JPG
Views: 932
Size:  36.2 KB
    *cough*ignore the lack of ear*cough*

The7Artist7 is offline I'll have a double Rocktastic with added awesome please Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 551 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Aha! - you won't get me with you're reverse psychology 'don't look' as a SB name Ha!... oh wait what am I doing in here... doh! ya got me lol ;P

sillyness aside - nice pics - you have good character in you images... hate and pride at the same time? Yeh I understand

Keep drawing, posting, drawing, posting... would love to see some real clean lines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha my reverse psychology works!
    I don't have the attention span to do really clean lines. But I suppose I can try.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some sketches I did today.
    The first I used this photograph as refrence link. The last I sketched my mom while she was watching tv.
    Name:  sketchbook 001.JPG
Views: 901
Size:  61.6 KB

Name:  sketchbook 002.JPG
Views: 896
Size:  75.8 KB

Name:  sketchbook 004.JPG
Views: 896
Size:  109.0 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 645 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome last update the faces look really nice
    and you seem to be having wild fun and experminting alot
    Keep at it man
    And also thanks for the help

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fricken awesome experiments, seriously best and fun-est way to learn is to go crazy with materials, mediums, ect. Sooner or later though your gunna have to do some (*serious face*) studies. Keep it up

I have some free resources in my signature if your interested.

This account is dead but my sketchbook holds in it my humble beginnings
    SKETCHBOOK NEW SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lilnebo: Thanks, expirementing with stuff is one of my favorite thing to do, second to giving my art stories and life. No problem. You should try expirmenting if you haven't already.

remmy: Well I dunno if you would consider what I'm putting in my sketchbook today a serious face study. Cool, those links in your signature should be very helpfull. Thanks.

Edited

Last edited by FearSelf; November 29th, 2008 at 06:05 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more messing around junk. Design for a creature of the sea, the sitting man looks better in real life, ah well. The last one is a character concept, I like to draw them stylized. He's a freak that's why I gave him wings in this doodle.
Views: 842
Size:  54.7 KB

Views: 825
Size:  28.4 KB

Name:  sketchbook 003.JPG
Views: 826
Size:  66.4 KB

The7Artist7 is offline I'll have a double Rocktastic with added awesome please Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey - Just dropping by - Nice self portrait (hehe - 'draw how you interpret yourself' - I remember doing that when I was at college! cool fun. - When I did mine my teacher wasn't very happy with it saying it wasn't describing me very well and was wanting to mark me low for the assignment! I disagreed, so she said could I justify why I had done it the way I had? I explained to her and she was impressed so gave me really good marks!)

The only thing with the portrait is I think it would be improved by a little 'setting' details as in where is the robot while it is rusting? With the leaves for hair it gives me the idea of being to the side or behind a falling down shed on a wet but 'friendly' autumn day - ivy, broken planks of wood, dead tree leaves covering the ground, mossy stones, maybe even a little ray or two of sunshine through the branches... you get the idea ;P

With your sketches remember to draw what you see - not what you think you see - try to draw with less lines and study shadow.

One good way to learn I find is to study as accurate as you can then go mad over-exaggerating the thing you just learnt - then try doing it accurate again.

Have fun!!

Post more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The7Artist7: The robot is rotting in the middle of the ocean on a makeshift boat that is also falling apart. I wasn't sure how to put the boat in the painting without screwing it up so I just left it alone and put alot of texture and junk in the uh water blue stuff, but you can't tell in my photo of it...Ah well it's not that good anyway. I guess I could have lowered the horizon line and made it actually seem like the ocean, but it just didn't feel right. So what did you incorporate into your selfportrait?

But I like being messy! It's my way of getting a feel for the flow of the object and how it is in proportion with itself. If I start out careful with my lines it'll look stranger than if I where to do it messy. But usually I don't use alot of lines, that's only if I'm using graphite pencils. I start out blocking things in if I'm using charcoal, paint, or what not and then add value and detail.

Well here's a less messy thing I doodled today. The lines are mostly controlled and stuff. Ignore the random blueness, it's on the back of that one stylized character I drew and the marker showed through.
    And then I went to like 15 sec.-5 minute (depending on how long the person would hold still) sketches from real life, so very messy.
Views: 784
Size:  163.8 KB

Views: 777
Size:  102.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your watercolors and the acrylics, especially the self portraits. Also, it seems like you're taking a sketchbook out to public places and doing gestures of random people, which is one of my favorite things to do XD
    Something that's helped me though, even with quick gestures like that, is to lay down some quick proportion lines on faces and the major parts of the body, and then really quick blobs of value. You're proportions on some of your figures are a little bit off.
    Keep up the good work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah - I'll have to dig that self portrait out and take a pic of it - dude it is quite an old piece now - as college was 10 yrs ago! Aaarg you just made me feel old! lol ;P

Constructive Crits! - I've chosen your recent 'messy thing' as there are a few useful examples I can point out Try to spot the similar points in your other sketches etc

Last edited by The7Artist7; June 29th, 2008 at 11:18 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey - you still around?? I didn't scare you away did I? Please post more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm still alive. I just got distracted and didn't have much time to post anything. Although I have still been drawing. I guess I have alot to post but none of it is on the computer right now so I'll just post a few things I guess.

Pan2: Thank you deary, I know my proportions are off. I kept getting distracted when I drew the people, not good. But I've gotten better. Blobs of value doesn't always work for me, I think I go by strange abstract stick figures.

The7Artist7: No you didn't scare me away. Just lot's of distractions. Sorry for making you feel old, and thanks for the constructive crit. It's helpful that you showed it on my messy thing. I think I'll keep referring back to it.

k I suppose I should post some shtuff.
    These are some artist's trading cards which I had to do for AP art as summer homework. I love my cards, and not most of them (my favorite) are gone thanks to the 'trading'. T.T

Mmm that's all for now, I'll eventually post some more stuff. Especially figure drawings.

Last edited by FearSelf; September 6th, 2008 at 09:16 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok so I lied about the figure drawings, I'll post those eventually, whenever I pull them out of storage and decide to take pictures of them.
    Instead I'll post some stuff out of my head. I hope you enjoy. (I messed with the brightness and contrast because the flash from the camera washed everything out...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for dropping by my sketchbook

These last few pics are pretty cool but I'd like to see more happy stuff try drawing characters like these last ones but having a good time - like really happy and beaming with joy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey The7Artist7 that kid in the field is brimming with joy and happiness!
    This guy is beaming with joy cause it's dinnah tiem!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    O_o! - that's not 'happy' it's creepy! ...lol!

...seriously, I'm sorry for not explaining my reason better (I had in fact written 2 much longer posts giving constructive suggestions etc and C.A kept going weird whenever I tried to post, so I gave up and just did that quick post hoping it'd be a helpful suggestion - I just seem to have irritated you ...doh!)

Anyhoo - kinda busy so just wanted to let you know I didn't intend to be flippant!

All the best

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.