Art: How would you make this texture?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

How would you make this texture?

This is an old 25mm scale Grenadier dragon I've had since I was a little kid. I need to paint it again, obviously, but....

I can usually look at anything and tell just how the artist did it. Bot not this time. I'm wondering if maybe he rolled up TINY little balls of clay and put them next to each other, like laying a tile floor. I can't imagine carving such small bumps.

I just haven't the experience to figure this out. Do you know how this bumpy skin texture was made?

Thanks for looking!!!!!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Hey, I had that dragon!
    Anyway, those scales were probably done one-by-one by hand, each little ball rolled, flattened, and pressed into place.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    If I had to recreate this texture I would roll out a tube of clay and then chop little pieces off, place each piece in its place, and then round them when they are secure. If you bother to round them or "ball" them before, they will get mashed anyway while trying to adhere them. What is more mind numbing, scales or chainmail?

Thanks
    you could make a mold right from the model itself.
    take a rubber cast and get yourself a mold and press the texture right into it.

Witness the contents of mind, the visions and sounds, the thoughts, as clouds passing through the vast expanse - the sky-like nature of mind. The rootedness of Being is in emptiness, clarity and awareness: unborn, unspoilt, stainlessly pure. ~Alex Grey

Thanks
    Shape some clay into "stamp" shapes. Use a tool to poke indentations into the clay. Bake it. Stamp away. A good shape would be a thick coin with indentations along its edge that you can roll on the sculpture.
    Epoxy clay is best but polymer clay works as well.

Thanks
    Roxxors: Dan Perez has an article about creating creature skin textures and scales (and a little advice for creating a natural, untooled look). It might not provide any new advice, but it will certainly reinforce what's been mentioned here if you decide to avoid the molding/casting route.

You can find it here: Sculpting 101: Detailing and Skin Textures...

Grenadier certainly brings back the memories. Good luck!

~KU

... a cry went up into the shuddering air, and faded to a shrill wailing, passing with the wind, a voice bodiless and thin that died, and was swallowed up, and was never heard again in that age of this world.

Thanks

Not to get off subject but

I dont want to derail this thread , but I would like to do decent Chain. I am having problems with that Chain mail look. 8) Anyone have a good way to get decent results.

Best Regards,

Rust never Sleeps.
    Nothing is what Rocks Dream of.

James K.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,669 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mohack View Post
    I dont want to derail this thread , but I would like to do decent Chain. I am having problems with that Chain mail look. 8) Anyone have a good way to get decent results.
    The way it's generally done on miniatures is to model it like fabric, then texture it by scribing rows of "c" shapes in alternating directions.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    I'm brewing up some bad karma contributing to thread derailment, so I'll try to keep this on point: here's a free tutorial for miniature sculpting (start to finish) that covers most of the basics as well as some advanced techniques...

Mohack: Chainmail tips are on page 21 of 27.

Available here: Sculpting 101...

~KU

... a cry went up into the shuddering air, and faded to a shrill wailing, passing with the wind, a voice bodiless and thin that died, and was swallowed up, and was never heard again in that age of this world.

Thanks
    Awesome.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to help me out.

My goal is to reproduce this particular Grenadier dragon, but at a larger scale. I think I'm up to it, but we shall see how it goes from here . . . .

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.