Sketchbook: shut up and draw! (updated jan. 28th!)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

shut up and draw! (updated jan. 28th!)

Heyup, I'm Bethan! I'm 20 going on 12 and studying animation in Bristol while freelancing on the side I make comics, crafty things and illustrations too.

Kick my ass and make me work hard!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by gutss; January 28th, 2012 at 12:21 PM.
    What an overwhelming lesson to all artists! Be not afraid of absurdity; do not shrink from the fantastic. Within a dilemma, choose the most unheard-of, the most dangerous, solution. Be brave, be brave! - Isak Dinesen
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a selection of some bits and pieces done over the year cobbled together

What an overwhelming lesson to all artists! Be not afraid of absurdity; do not shrink from the fantastic. Within a dilemma, choose the most unheard-of, the most dangerous, solution. Be brave, be brave! - Isak Dinesen

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I have not much to say yet, except that I like the picture with the figure on a moonlit path (osfurstars.jpg), I like the colors, the atmosphere. it would be a really warm scene, but the spiky branches are menacing and one of them even "touches" the figure and it disturbs the harmony. I dunno if it was your intention.
    it seems this will be an interesting SB, keep it up, I'll come again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    this comment is in reguards to the dsg aquasuit. I think the color is really good, and has a nice mood. The thing I think that is throwing it off is the rim light. Its super orange! In this case it is darker in value than other places on the man when really it should be lighter. Solution, desaturate the orange, it will still look orange, but you wont loose the form so much. Hope this helps.

SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    shiNIN: thankyou! that was my intention, so I'm really glad I got it across thanks a lot for the support

MonkeYoakum: oooh yes I see what you mean. Like a dark gold to grey would probably better? Thankyou very much indeed that helps a lot I'll be sure to try that out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a tendency to horde and accumulate all my sketches P: trying to get better at that. also, definitely need to do some more life drawing!

also, the fifth image down is an (unfinished!) copy of Surikov's Menshikov in Beryozovo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for dropping by my book. Thought I’d return the favor. I dig your straight up black and white ink work, I think they’re your strongest at the moment (especially the stormy town piece from the 23rd and city from the 27th. They are the clearest, have the best sense of mood an focal points.

Keep rockin.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I figure now I've got the time, there's no sense being a lazy bastard and holding back my work (IT'LL ALL COME OUT ONE DAY in a great.. flood of er, arty diarrhea? ew. think I need to work on my metaphors). and I need to stop being such a chicken (after all, we're all mates? ... aren't we?)

I'd love some criticisms on this piece if anyone's got the time, especially to do with skin colouring: his face looks like plasticine! the train is pretty heavily referenced from here

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Gutss, nice work on the colouring above - seems you've gone for a bit more of a challenge in your latest WIP! The skin tones do look a bit ill but thats becuase you've been using a pretty muddy purple tone for the shadows. It's hard to say if you need more yellow or red in the skintones to make it look better, but a little more white+red/yellow would probably work well. Although it probably wont apply as well to the look you're going for in this painting, you could have a look at what Linda Berkgvist has to say on skintones http://www.furiae.com/index.php?view=gallery in her tutorials section. I think maybe a dark brown might help you with the shadowson his face, LB doesn't do much old skin but I remember reading somewhere that blue tones are better for younger skin? Going well so far!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CarmelW For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks a lot for the encouragement Toffeeliz (I am trying to challenge meself a wee bit more)! and that crit. really helps me a lot. I guess it's all up to a bit of trying what works best now (:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've accumulated quite a lot of stuff since my neglect of this place so I'll try to upload a bit of that before another FRESSSHH ART DUMP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    took liz's advice with my unfinished piece and it's coming along lots nicer now. no more trollfaced old man! (he just looks like a bit like a hairless dwarf now)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work on the guys face and skin! glad to hear the link and stuff was helpful haha When it comes to the traain and the back ground, it might be an idea to flip the image and start working on it - it looks pretty lopsided at the moment and if you see it from another side it might be easier to level it out.

I like the sketches up above; theres a really sweet children's book illustration style coming off. And I just love cat sketches anyway haha your cat looks almost as fat as mine keep it up man!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thansk Liz! I've been flipping it but haven't quite rectified the wonkiness yet (the entire perspective of the platform looks pretty wrong to me now, so I'm going to work on fixing it).

I love doing cat sketches! and my cat is indeed very fat

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    recent doodlings! most of them are studies and stuff. need to work on using colour mooore! so much empty white space is kind of disheartening

a bit like an empty fridge.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff in here, i would love to see more studies

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it's been a while! I've been hopping about the place (currently, I have no kitchen at home which makes things hectic) and delaying posting here.

apart from the drawing stuff, I think I need practice in, "getting off yer arse and actually posting the bloody things"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    studies! I've been really getting into these (must do moremoremore) and I'm eager to learn stuff.

my first proper self portrait (discounting the ones I did in primary school with pasta for hair. also disclaimer: I do not have a lazy eye. I'm just a bit incompetent at drawing me face), lots of Bridgman studies and a few doodles of Toulouse Lautrec paintings

and any help regarding these would be loved!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    mooore drawings! trying to do a quick self portrait every day before I go to bed. I'm hoping I'll learn something from it

in fact, I have already: I need a haircut

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    forgot one!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tunauniverse: thankyoouuu so much! I'd love to do work for books sometime (and comix, ultimately) so I'm going to keep working towards that and you're welcome. I dig your stuff

slobasaurus: thanks man! and that's a really good idea (the closest zoo is a few hours away, but I think I'll make an effort to make it a day trip! and maybe include the crazy toddlers as part of my animal studies, haha)

Last edited by gutss; September 3rd, 2008 at 03:04 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    30 second poses, an awful awful self portrait (ohman it's so bad I like it. gonna try working on some different angles and dramatic lightiiiinnggss *AIRPUNCH*). the black and white city picture is college stuff and I totally whacked out on some of the perspective while inking

and have a pageful of my cat, in lieu of a zoo trip. normally she does crazy stuff like chase her tail and pull herself along the carpet, but as soon as I start drawing her she's all well postured and shit. what's with that?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1219832719 lol and tardis! lmao. I may have to eat your cat and steal your drawing arm
    my personal quote for this: "My feet. Let me show you them" http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1220117705 but i can't really offer a real crit haha

You have pretty busy pieces - I challange thee to make a sketch that has only the bare minimum shapes and lines to create a character or whatever you wish to draw - a scsnene - I like the black and white one in full opacity - do something like that but more simple and smooth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DON'T EAT MY CAT! O: she's nothing but flab. bahahah I'm liking that quote P:

also CHALLENGE ACCEPTED. I best get weaving!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a few bits and pieces and a seriously loose sketch, which uh, I guess is a complete exaggeration of Liz's challenge. but it was bloody refreshing and a good warmup so I might do some MOOOOREEE (albeit tighter ones)

I bloody love drawing. moremoremore!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh psst, and here's some comic book pages that are a couple of months old, done for a competition at The Lifted Brow (I got a runner up prize dfhdgf I don't know how that happened. majorly spurred me on to improve, though. and it was fun!)

EDIT: BAHAHAHAH I just noticed he has five fingers in that close up panel of him playing guitar. JESUS!

Last edited by gutss; September 5th, 2008 at 07:09 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome, truely awesome work!!

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Nele Ooms For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really like you line style...
    this is really good beggining of one nice sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nele Ooms: woah, thanks mate. I'm just very glad to hear someone likes it
    ekler: well then, I better keep at it. cheers

some quick dumb character designs, Bridgman studies, a picture of me mam and other rubbish. I feel as though I've been slacking a bit and not being patient enough with things.

and of course, the only remedy for this is to wallow in self pity for months on end drinking excessive amounts of tea.

wait, I mean DRAW MORE (and do a proper answer to Liz's challenge YEAAAAH) >:D

p.s: you lot here are all THUPER. I am loving it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mr Gutss

that comic is quite splendid, did you write it yourself?

The amount of dedication being shown here is impressive as well, you may want to spend a little more time on some of the studys, look at people like tensai and salaryman for inspiration on lines, Mattias i think fits your style more perhaps?

In all likelihood you are probably aware of these guys already, but just thought i would share anyway, keep it up.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1