Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: shut up and draw! (updated jan. 28th!)

Thanks

shut up and draw! (updated jan. 28th!)

Heyup, I'm Bethan! I'm 20 going on 12 and studying animation in Bristol while freelancing on the side I make comics, crafty things and illustrations too.

Kick my ass and make me work hard!
    Last edited by gutss; January 28th, 2012 at 01:21 PM.
    What an overwhelming lesson to all artists! Be not afraid of absurdity; do not shrink from the fantastic. Within a dilemma, choose the most unheard-of, the most dangerous, solution. Be brave, be brave! - Isak Dinesen
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    a selection of some bits and pieces done over the year cobbled together
    What an overwhelming lesson to all artists! Be not afraid of absurdity; do not shrink from the fantastic. Within a dilemma, choose the most unheard-of, the most dangerous, solution. Be brave, be brave! - Isak Dinesen

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 996 Posts
    I have not much to say yet, except that I like the picture with the figure on a moonlit path (osfurstars.jpg), I like the colors, the atmosphere. it would be a really warm scene, but the spiky branches are menacing and one of them even "touches" the figure and it disturbs the harmony. I dunno if it was your intention.
    it seems this will be an interesting SB, keep it up, I'll come again

Thanks
    this comment is in reguards to the dsg aquasuit. I think the color is really good, and has a nice mood. The thing I think that is throwing it off is the rim light. Its super orange! In this case it is darker in value than other places on the man when really it should be lighter. Solution, desaturate the orange, it will still look orange, but you wont loose the form so much. Hope this helps.
    SketchBook Chris Yoakum?

Thanks
    shiNIN: thankyou! that was my intention, so I'm really glad I got it across thanks a lot for the support

MonkeYoakum: oooh yes I see what you mean. Like a dark gold to grey would probably better? Thankyou very much indeed that helps a lot I'll be sure to try that out

Thanks
    I have a tendency to horde and accumulate all my sketches P: trying to get better at that. also, definitely need to do some more life drawing!

also, the fifth image down is an (unfinished!) copy of Surikov's Menshikov in Beryozovo

Thanks
    Hey, thanks for dropping by my book. Thought I’d return the favor. I dig your straight up black and white ink work, I think they’re your strongest at the moment (especially the stormy town piece from the 23rd and city from the 27th. They are the clearest, have the best sense of mood an focal points.

Keep rockin.

Thanks
    I figure now I've got the time, there's no sense being a lazy bastard and holding back my work (IT'LL ALL COME OUT ONE DAY in a great.. flood of er, arty diarrhea? ew. think I need to work on my metaphors). and I need to stop being such a chicken (after all, we're all mates? ... aren't we?)

I'd love some criticisms on this piece if anyone's got the time, especially to do with skin colouring: his face looks like plasticine! the train is pretty heavily referenced from here

Thanks
    Hey Gutss, nice work on the colouring above - seems you've gone for a bit more of a challenge in your latest WIP! The skin tones do look a bit ill but thats becuase you've been using a pretty muddy purple tone for the shadows. It's hard to say if you need more yellow or red in the skintones to make it look better, but a little more white+red/yellow would probably work well. Although it probably wont apply as well to the look you're going for in this painting, you could have a look at what Linda Berkgvist has to say on skintones http://www.furiae.com/index.php?view=gallery in her tutorials section. I think maybe a dark brown might help you with the shadowson his face, LB doesn't do much old skin but I remember reading somewhere that blue tones are better for younger skin? Going well so far!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to CarmelW For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thanks a lot for the encouragement Toffeeliz (I am trying to challenge meself a wee bit more)! and that crit. really helps me a lot. I guess it's all up to a bit of trying what works best now (:

Thanks
    I've accumulated quite a lot of stuff since my neglect of this place so I'll try to upload a bit of that before another FRESSSHH ART DUMP

Thanks
    took liz's advice with my unfinished piece and it's coming along lots nicer now. no more trollfaced old man! (he just looks like a bit like a hairless dwarf now)

Thanks
    Great work on the guys face and skin! glad to hear the link and stuff was helpful haha When it comes to the traain and the back ground, it might be an idea to flip the image and start working on it - it looks pretty lopsided at the moment and if you see it from another side it might be easier to level it out.

I like the sketches up above; theres a really sweet children's book illustration style coming off. And I just love cat sketches anyway haha your cat looks almost as fat as mine keep it up man!

Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast