Sketchbook: shut up and draw! (updated jan. 28th!) - Page 9

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jaytea: make one! out of papier maché! that would be so cool (those reindeers were a problem for me, because while I was inking them I was in tears of laughter at their faces. just could not help it) THANKKKYOOOUUU

bits and bobs, as they are always bits and bobs. The ink pieces were concepts for this competition, but seeing as the deadline's been extended I'm hoping I can refine them and do something BETTER and more together!

my sketchbook seems to have a scattergun effect - there's a lot of stuff but it doesn't really go anywhere and I don't really know how to focus all this energy. as I've been saying for ohhh, I'm not sure, most of me life, I really need to organise my time better! definitely need to take some big, fat, scary steps forward so I can start producing the sort of stories I want you lovely people to read

Attached Images Attached Images                
    What an overwhelming lesson to all artists! Be not afraid of absurdity; do not shrink from the fantastic. Within a dilemma, choose the most unheard-of, the most dangerous, solution. Be brave, be brave! - Isak Dinesen
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to gutss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GORGEOUSSSS i love you how your style can create so many different looks for characters mmm yes

thanks for stopping by my sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    theories: thankyooouu and you're welcome. I'll be sure to stop by more often

start of a Delacroix study. Delacroix is delicious and definitely one of (if not my top!) favourite painter. MMM FRENCH ROMANTICISM

I heartily recommend. I would have preferred to do something with that fluid sense of action Delacroix gets a lot (like in The Combat of Giaour and Hassan) but the references were pretty shocking! NEXT TIME

What an overwhelming lesson to all artists! Be not afraid of absurdity; do not shrink from the fantastic. Within a dilemma, choose the most unheard-of, the most dangerous, solution. Be brave, be brave! - Isak Dinesen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    did someone say

FRENCH ROMANTICISM??

/mouthfoam
    looks pretty rad right now yo

and yay for short stories that make me want to make love with reindeer
    the only thing I can see to improve atm are some wacky features placement on faces but other than that I am loving it. Especially those bridgman studies mmmmm

shut up and draw! (updated jan. 28th!) MATCHING SIGS WHOOO

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jaytea: I HEART FRENCH ROMANTICISM DONCHA KNOW. I really need to sort my facial feature placements! thankkkyooouuuu very much

this is maybe as far as I'm going with the study at the moment, though I'll probably go and pick at it lots later because it is just so much fun. it's also horrendously, abominably innacurate but I feel like I'm learning stuff from it. which is always wondrous!

and a christmas caaaard!

Last edited by gutss; December 1st, 2009 at 02:15 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to gutss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    klsldfk /froth

your
    lines
    THEY'RE SO CLEAN HOLY SHIZNITS WOMAN I AM JEALOUS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    DAMN BETH!! These are looking soooo good! Like theories says, your lines are getting so nice and clean

But it's the colours that I'm most pleased to see LOVE the way the Delacroix study is going, and some of the coloured stuff from mind further up the page is just great!!!
    Juuuust like the Christmas one in the last post!

Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -"Flexible demon with an itchy leg." -
    -You've explored so many types of lines, so many styles. You do so many feels nicely and that's when my *Head explodes* Awesome.
    -Santa sued ... lmao

I don't know what helpful comments to drop in this sb Beth... I believe and trust in all your wanderings.
    If my next post is another ass pat, don't shoot the messenger.

Everything starts with a plan. A plan with a little room of randomness, bonus.
    -Comic books, a series of illustration/panels maybe? Trust in that whale gutt.
    Try doing exactly the opposite and see if it re-focuses on your real goals.

I personally like all your funny comics (along with everything else) so that
    doesn't really help in finding your quiche, I mean niche. Perhaps Checking out your favourite editors
    might give your some (base) directions to follow as you build up your industry strength and influence.

Last edited by vardoburrito; November 30th, 2009 at 06:13 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love the mood and colors of your Merry Christmas painting. Really cool.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    theories: BOY I AM GOING TO COME OVER THERE AND GIVE YOUR LINES A NICE GOOD SCRUB AND THEY WILL BE AND SPAN!

JailHouseRock2: nothing like a bit of colour to liven things up! cheers very much matt haah, the colours on the christmas one were so much fun. some more refined colour work, you think?

dwardo: psshaw, asspats! you always have something good to say to me thanks very much for the advice and encouragement. I've got a story idea (god knows I have hundreds!) that I really really want to work on and I was thinking of sending stuff off to illustration agencies (I mean, even if I got some helpful tips from it, that would be great), it's just finding time away from college and boosting my confidence. BUT I WILL DOOOO ITTT!

brubaker: thanks very much for visiting my sketchbook, and for the nice comments. I'm checking out your stuff RIGHT THIS INSTANT, user of the lovely avatar

and when I do, you can have a dedication and everything. "to my fishy friend"

got some stuff to scan but it's all over the place and I'm suffering from some horrible chest pains at the moment (it hurts to breathe!)

so, just for fun, some pictures of what I'm doing in art class to accompany my illustrated book. it's a little cardboard city, complete with junk monster

Last edited by gutss; December 1st, 2009 at 02:51 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to gutss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been home sick with a bugger of a cold. On the downside: no sleep, lots of sniffling. Up side: get to draw lots and lots and lots

some more illustrations for my storybook for art class. the palace and the kings are pieces for a competition. too tired to type much more now. nightynight!

COLOUR IS GOOD, EVERYBODY. COLOUR IS GOOD.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to gutss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really cool sketchbook, keep up the great work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really like the fish in your first post. But the trees in the background kinds of ruins it alittle. Feels too blurry compared to the rest.

Keep it up man

The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    witcrack, Bman, purb, Jeff
    kostas, danny

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lav: thankyou very much!
    krel: I do see what you mean! maybe someday I'll revisit my fish and treeeeees....

it's all gone quiet my side! I sort of crashed and burned at the end of this year (mentally mostly, but now I'm ill as well!) pants. I feel pretty rude, not replying to everything and that and I do apologise

I belligerently accept that I maybe, kind of, might just need a break.

it'll warm me up for another year of drawing like a madman this year has been pretty good. and right now I'm learning to be happier and enjoy things more (feels good man. it's like spring cleaning for my head)

PSSST! a bit of shameful selfplugging, here... my band (comprised of me and two of my bestest friends) are putting together a little CD of songs. I'm not too good at music, but I adore it and maybe people might kind of like to listen to a song I did for said CD: (IT'S ABOUT WINTER. AND KLIMT. VAGUELY!) haha, enjoy listening to my warbling.

you've all been wonderful! take a bow! I hope you have the best of christmases/festive celebration of your choice and hope that the new year brings each and every one of you everything you deserve!

new year, new sketchbook. CATCH YOU ON THE FLIPSIDE, DAWGS

love and guts,
    Gutss
    xxxxxxx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    have the best year ever.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I attempted to make a new sketchbook, but THAT AIN'T HAPPENING. I enjoy the hellish mess of my thread right here too much to abandon it.

the Narky fishman is a very silly set up to a bad pun:

"my good fellow, may I direct you to the Narky party? they are a lesser known political party of mutants that were unfortunately exiled to Sweden in the '70's due to abhorrent racism. They are good, honest people and I (and a few choice others) believe that they will truly provide for this country. Unfortunately, some utterly despicable and arcane ... See Morelaws forbid them re entry into this country. As the head of the BRING US OUR NARKIES (or BUON) campaign, I would like to offer you a leaflet..."

Last edited by gutss; January 8th, 2010 at 03:09 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bits and bobs. snow has apparently halted the entirety of my little British existence and the lack of outside contact is frazzling my brain a little bit

at least I have my giraffe.

(my anatomy study is about to FALL OVER. GODDAMN)

Last edited by gutss; January 14th, 2010 at 11:53 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great updates! Really enjoy seeing the stuff you make

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    is that a Howl I see? c8
    god I love this last muscle study I WANT TO STUDY LIKE YOU FFFFFF<3<3<3
    and your lines yessss your linesss and the shapes they pick out or outlines I don't know how to describe it but like on this horned fished monster it just looks so... cool. idk. you know what I mean. the artistic orgasm thing >:[

also I would like to thank you fifty bajillion times for your great ~~~INSPIRATIONAL MOVING WORDS OF WISDOM~~~ I shall keep them forever in my heart. and ever.

dem shtoopeed expenseeve panties.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lav: awwh thankyou! that's very nice of you
    Jaytea: STUDY LIKE A DEMON! I love doing wiggly lines especially if they pick out sinews they're so much fun! you better get draw draw drawing and I expect to see my words of wisdom TATTOOED ON YOUR SOOOUUULLLL

sketchydoodle for CGHub's Storytellers challenge for a HG Wells novel (mm, HG Wells).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    every sketchbook entry here is a little eyecandy, so nice and so freshly creative, lovley designed and with searching lines .. I also like all your sidesteps to diorama/sculpture and to music (how cool!)

oh - and collab - should we ask Dwardo for an idea? I've got some spare time - do you?

I just took a break to post this.
    But sometimes I also draw stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really dig the HG wells piece.. lovely one

気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kiera: yesyesyes! A collaboration based on an Ed-generated idea sounds like a fantastic plan to me. I am busy with college and lots of stuff (hence my general SILENCE!) but I'm sure I can make time at a weekend

Quikie Garcia: not as much as I am liking the Inigo Montaya icon!

Last edited by gutss; March 3rd, 2010 at 09:48 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hahahahaha, the landscapes are great, the astronaut looks funny, and the life drawing looks promising.. but this
    shut up and draw! (updated jan. 28th!)

This is just plain brilliant...

Man, that really cracked me up

気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great updates, really like the astronaut environment sketches are looking really good too, keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Gutttts Guttsssss, did Edward tell you?
    He even had a better idea for a collab:
    We all work together on one single theme.. we will be designing a world with characters and settings and stories and all that juicy stuff that has the theme sci-fi cowboys to it.. think of studio 4°C and Cowboy Bebop.
    So we will be posting in one single CA thread, together .
    What do you think?

(great update.. btw.. yes. landscapes. Where do these come from? Look kinda eastern european to me)

Last edited by Kiera; March 3rd, 2010 at 03:30 PM.
    I just took a break to post this.
    But sometimes I also draw stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    IT'S BEEN WEEKS! Disgusting. I need to keep up or I'll get worse AAGGHHH

Sorry fellas, I've been sucked off the map by the twin monsters of Illness and Schoolwork. I'm not lying. If you looked on google streetview there was a big void where my house is for a couple of weeks.

Quike: man, I'd love to but I can't take credit for that idea. I had no idea what to draw and my favourite person in the world told me to draw, "a man in a chicken suit riding a dinosaur."

Lav: thankyou! so kind!

Kiera: BUUUGHHH VERY LATE REPLY! This sounds like a brilliant beautiful idea and I'd love to be involved one thread, TOGETHER? definitely something awesome to focus on! I can'twaitIcan'twait

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The other day I spent on day making an art exhibition for my favourite person (and best friend) in the whole wide world because he'd had a pants week.

The art was crummy but it served the purpose of cheering a brother up. And it was exciting! Note to self: don't spend so much time tidying room next time.

AHMYGAWD ARE THOSE MOOMIN PAPERCHAINS?! You better believe it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Bethan! Thanks so much for the ever kind words in my sb! And I so hope your feeling better now!

wow. I can't believe how much I've missed your drawings Beth. I really can't crit anything aye, I just LOVE looking at your drawings, the style that I recall you once calling a 'crutch' is just so wonderful.
    Saying that, I still think you should always strive to move beyond any style, to the point where you can draw anything any time, but I just wanted to let you know that I at least will be here looking at these. Adore them.

And would it be ok if I use this as a quote in my signature?
    I love it so much.
    Thanks Beth, you take care now.
    Matt

Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1