Sketchbook: shut up and draw! (updated jan. 28th!) - Page 7
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: shut up and draw! (updated jan. 28th!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jesus christ I'm a lazy bastard! i'm off to go and learn something ):< put that selfrage down on the page

Attached Images Attached Images                        
    What an overwhelming lesson to all artists! Be not afraid of absurdity; do not shrink from the fantastic. Within a dilemma, choose the most unheard-of, the most dangerous, solution. Be brave, be brave! - Isak Dinesen
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gutss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I will conquer feet and everything above them!

What an overwhelming lesson to all artists! Be not afraid of absurdity; do not shrink from the fantastic. Within a dilemma, choose the most unheard-of, the most dangerous, solution. Be brave, be brave! - Isak Dinesen

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gutss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some bits and pieces and some Scott Pilgrim fanart (I love that comic. moreso than most comics)

I love this summer! I hope anyone reading this is having a good weekend

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gutss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some sketches, and something I started a while ago (the original sketch is in here somewhere...) because I give up on my works in progress too easily. not anymore! I've got stuff to learn, goals to achieve and there's only me to make it happen so I should make it happen. I adjusted his face, arms and the general colour scheme. back to work

I'm so excited about everything right now. people around me got worried when I got excited over finding a longlost rubber.

it's an ace rubber, by the way

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gutss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Fu*king ace Beth, amazing updates!!!!

Your line work has gotten epic! I just love how you draw, your sketches are full of humor, story and love. The real graphic design elements are really getting strong too!

Just keep drawing and keep posting, it really does cheer up my day whenever I stop by!

And of course congrats on reuniting with your long lost rubber... so pleased
    Take care Bethan,

matt

Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow 5 posts without comments, kinda feel bad for not coming earlier.

Ill subscribe now kay?

Everything is looking really nice girl! There is alot of character in these images, esp the lion in the city! Very awesome stuff!

Watch your poses they still feel pretty floaty. To ground them out you need to work out your center of gravity, and make sure the figure conforms to gravity. You should be able to draw perspective lines through the shoulders hips and feet (taking into account thier rotations) and have it go to a single vanishing point. If you can get this down it really help your characters.
    (for example first character this alst post, the feet plane is angled too far down).

Keep going .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been seeing some interesting work in here, just thought I'd throw in my 2c.

Your figure work requires some technical attention - focussing on poses, opposing curves, proportion and application in 3d space. That said, I am liking the feeling I get from them a lot. In some ways they remind me of Egon Schiele's drawings - not quite there yet, but given a little more decisiveness from you, certainly on their way. Apart from (and not part of) the weirdness is the fact that they also have a slight caricature style to them. It feels to me that these don't quite know whether they want to be classic caricatures or unnerving distortions. Make a decision and go with it!

I do like some of the things you're doing with text, but vary the visual identity of your text some more - make sure it reflects the content and that it's not just sitting pretty on top of everything else. That said, most of it looks good, reads well and has some thought invested.

My favourite piece here is the "H is for hedonism" piece. Love the almost nonchalance newspaper behind the file divider on which you drew the piece - ties in well with the theme. Think the fact that I can read "Opinions and Debate" in the background is helping this as a concept piece. But you can take it further. There's no colour on the piece - how bout taking some inspiration from Toulouse-Lautrec (whose work really reflected hedonism) and working it in here. Give the bench a rotten earthy green colour, completely flat. The go over the text you have there with a thiner red line - tracing "H is for hedonism" half carelessly. Use that same bright red on the skirt of the lady-in-picture. Finally tint bit of the newspaper in the background with it (making it look like the divider was wet when you put it on the newspaper and it has since seeped into it).

Just some other things:

Perspective is something you'll need to master at one point, but do not disregard the power in distorting it. Some of these images gain by the distortion of perspective, intentional or unintentional, and in much the same way as your figures gain something. Sometimes, having fun and playing around with the angles will result in a better image than everything converging on a single point.

Design your image. Think about where you want the eye to go, and how you're going to do that. It doesn't need to be massive black eye-candy to keep the viewer looking, it just needs to be intelligently designed, composed, engineered - whatever you might call it.

Be more adventurous with colour - some of you images need more direction and focus, whilst other just need to be more interesting; you'll be surprised at how subtle you can be with colour in order to make huge differences.

anycase, just my thoughts. keep 'em coming and keep 'em interesting.
    ciao

Last edited by Brendan N; August 9th, 2009 at 06:43 PM.
    Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JailHouseRock2: thanks for the kind words matt! it cheers me up to see you stop by my little book too (and all your updates of course) hope you're doing well, keep on rocking

Muz: I'm flattered, cheers for the nice worda and useful critiques, I often don't really plan out my figures and do it by feel instead - I kind of fear the poses becoming stiff, but I don't think there's really any reason for that. and honestly, I'd keep updating even if no one responded P:

Brendan N: Thankyou very much for all the useful input. completely agree about the text (and funnily enough, Toulouse Lautrec and Egon Schiele are two of my favouritteesss). I sort of vaguely get what you mean by "classic caricatures or unnerving distortions" and the indecision in my work, but a bit unsure as to which pictures are examples of which and blugfgfhf...

BAHH I'm not even sure what I'm saying any more! these are all excuses. I'm just going to go with it like you said and I did up the hedonism piece as you suggested, unfortunately my scanner's broken at the moment

thanks for all the suggestions everyone, really does spur me on

Last edited by gutss; August 10th, 2009 at 06:59 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gutss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    tried fixing up the fella's feet, not too sure if they're okay or not at the moment so any criticisms on anything are welcome. also spent more time planning out most of the stances for the figures in here, so hopefully they don't look as floaty

and on Brendan's suggestion, some stuff with colour. let's make this interesting!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gutss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooooh, I'm liking those changes! Know what would be pretty funny? If you match up the neck of the chick to the face of the dude in the newspaper. But that might make it too political....

Think it's popping better now. might tone down the green a little to make the red stand out even more, but that's just an afterthought. Very cool, I'm liking it - it's a lot more solid as an illustration now.

With the boy on the boat - make sure to flip him back again so he's facing the other way: this layout doesn't work as well as the previous one. Don't get bogged down with the reflections in the water - make the water light (like it's reflecting light), landscape darker, sky light again. That'll make the background more supporting of the focal point, less distracting.

gotta run, will try and stop by again soon

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooooh, I'm liking those changes! Know what would be pretty funny? If you match up the neck of the chick to the face of the dude in the newspaper. But that might make it too political....

Think it's popping better now. might tone down the green a little to make the red stand out even more, but that's just an afterthought. Very cool, I'm liking it - it's a lot more solid as an illustration now.

With the boy on the boat - make sure to flip him back again so he's facing the other way: this layout doesn't work as well as the previous one. Don't get bogged down with the reflections in the water - make the water light (like it's reflecting light), landscape darker, sky light again. That'll make the background more supporting of the focal point, less distracting.

gotta run, will try and stop by again soon

Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh Goodness, so many varied subjects and those lines feel and look like they
    come out easy in your end. Keep working with your perspectives [<the comment is for me actually, but you can gander at it too. ha]
    Keep that berzerker heart pumping jolly.
    Sweet sweet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Brendan N: I could almost even make the DEER her face (funnily enough, the fella in the paper is Alex James from Blur, who I guess were known for their hedonism outside of the music back in the day). yeah, I'm gonna flip the fella right back, and cheers for all the suggestions! you were dead on about the hedonism piece - it looks way more solid now

dwardo: bahah, well we'll both keep this in mind. cheeeeeers very much (my berserker heart pumps lead like nothing else. or graphite, at least)

I had a shitty day yesterday. I was with a group of mates on the skate park supping coke and eating muffins when some lads sauntered up, gave us hassle and beat up one of my friends totally unprovoked. he's alright, kind of bruised and shook up but nothing's broken.

I keep getting bouts of mad rage about it. I'm going to utilise it. everybody really has to get where they're going: and you don't think about the shitty people, the bad things. think about the good things and what you love. and keep on driving.

don't ever bottle your feelings, but I guess sometimes you have to realise there's no use in letting your anger linger and rot inside you (the same with sadness!) like KRS-ONE said, "squash all beef"

thanks everybody for checking out my stuff on here. it really means a lot

20. The Following User Says Thank You to gutss For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great stuff! you make some very interesting characters. keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's no possible way to say something nice to every awesomeness posted here, so I just do what Dwardo does and thank you for putting your pictures online.

So.. how long does it take until we are going to see your first comic book in the stores?
    No really, you could do something big, you can do it.. if you would focus all the creativity streaming through your fingers and your talent for telling funny absurd stories into something bigger than just sketches, that would be fantastic..
    a story with pictures or a bigger comic (= more than 3 pages) or.. something.. something..

edit: haha, but I also enjoy the sketches ^^

I just took a break to post this.
    But sometimes I also draw stuff

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow dude, some really abstract and experimental type stuff on here, it's good to see you dabbling with some things out of the box

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    brief interlude, nipped off to wales for a while.

no87: thankyou! glad you like
    Kiera: owhh thankyou very much for the kind lovely words. always like to hear from you. and on the comic front, the last picture (excuse my wonky scanning) here is the first page from a webcomic I'm starting up. I've had the idea for ages, but never really thought I could pull it off until now. it might take me a while to get it going but I'm definitely going to come through with it I hope you'll like it when it's up and ready! it promises fun and absurdity.
    PeNcIl ReBeLlIoN: thanks a lot man. the box stinks! I love fresh air

P.S: I dig books but I've never read pride and prejudice. ever. my Darcy arose from my little sister and her friend arguing over what makes a good Darcy (my little sister's main argument being, "he needs to be a creepy arsehole!")

a creepy arsehole with a BIONIC ARM AND A LOBSTERCLAW EFFYEAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like this sb.. is a place to get lost for hours

I specially dig the H is for Hedonism piece

Keep it up

気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my Darcy shall be the greater Darcy.

And then we shall go to war

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quike Garcia: if you lost yourself in here for a good ten minutes or more, my goal has been achieved. thankyou!
    Great Ghost: I believe the correct response is NUUUUUUUHHH-UUUUUUHHHH

bits and pieces, a copy from a photo of Sufjan Stevens and some mech stuff from an old gundam manga

the second to last piece is album artwork for a fella I know (band is here! they are screamy and pretty good) and I'm a wee bit lost with it. it's going to have a nice splash of orange and yellow colour on it in a bit, but some stuff about the colouring just does not seem right.

and I seem to be wheeling in circles with it a bit, so if you've got any criticisms I'd love to hear them

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The last portrait is great and I really dig the mechas

I think that the album work could use some more highlights on the figures on the street, reflected from the theatre

Great work

気計 - Quike
    "Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present.."

The Spaniard's Sketchbook... No holds barred

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry about your mate gutss, if I had cousins over there, all they would need is a name. If I do they're, they're probably illegal. hehehe.
    [I hate those people, it's like, just freakin get a sketchbook man, that's what I do and every other artist].

Quote Originally Posted by Kiera View Post
    There's no possible way to say something nice to every awesomeness posted here, so I just do what Dwardo does and thank you for putting your pictures online.
    Lazy bumm.
    Where's the collab piece that was promised here yonkers ago.
    I do remember reading it? K? B? ... Where's it at?

if you would focus all the creativity streaming through your fingers and your talent for telling funny absurd stories into something bigger than just sketches, that would be fantastic..
    a story with pictures or a bigger comic (= more than 3 pages) or.. something.. something..

edit: haha, but I also enjoy the sketches ^^
    Diggity, my vote is placed, but only after the 'Wonder' a children's book of
    wonders by gutts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1251281280 so glad this is getting the love treatment - it instantly caught my eye....and so did the hottie underneath it haha
    http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1251122481
    i need more of this.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quike Garcia: cheers! and thanks for the crit., you're completely right that really helped
    dwardo: I know, seriously. I guess you just kind of satisfy yourself with the knowledge that they probably won't achieve too much

oooh yess! the promised collab (it's a dream I tellsya! a dream)

and you're in luck dwardo, I should be doing some kind of kid's book style thing for art class next term. it's going to be fuunnnn stay cooool fella, your comments always make my day

Toffeeliz: I've misssedd yoouuuu! yes, sufjan stevens is a BIT NIIICE more you say? MOOREE?

a t shirt design for the same band (I don't think I'll be doing too much more with the album cover. partly because obviously the lads will be wanting to crack on with the album release and mostly because I had a disaster with the photoshop file and lost the majority of the layers)

couple more pages, hope to be getting this webcomic up and running soon! and an old unfinished comic I found the other day and polished up the inking for. perspective mistakes and wonky lines abound!

as for my piece with the bloke on the dock, I'm keeping on with it! it's difficult, and has made me realise how VERY LITTLE I know about lighting but I'm going to crack on. pretty determined to get it finished at some point

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    busybusy! I love it when I've got things to do

some life drawings, a gig poster (there's another support band to go in there yet) and a couple of comic pages as written by my friend Will Hobbs. they're pretty quickly done, and I had a bit of an accident with the first page

tips: NEVER DO SPEECH BUBBLES WHEN TIRED. the person who speaks first should always go on the left (unless you know, you live in a country where you read from right to left). adding speech bubbles when tired may result in forgetting this rule, merging all the photoshop layers before falling asleep on the keyboard and waking up going, "OH GOD LOOK WHAT I'VE DOOOONNEEEE"

this has been another, "life tips from gutss"! next week: "your cat doesn't love you, he just wants more food"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    http://conceptart.org/forums/attachm...1&d=1252056027 I'm on a graphics binge lately so this made my day wonderbar mein liebling!
    And for the two comic pages directly above this here comment, they are very nice as well. Not as satisfying as the Doctor comic though. That was beautiful.

revenebo is offline orchitect and designerd
    Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's some great stuff here. Your style is quite original!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heh heh, very entertaining sketchbook! def enjoyed reading the comics

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the kind words everyone! unfortunately my sister's broken the internet (OOH how grandiose) at my house at the mo, so I can only skip on to check a little at college. sorry for not commenting back or posting! expect a massive backlog of stuff when it's all sorted

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man, I suck!

Concept Art Report Card
    Student Name: Bethan Mure
    Grade: F
    General Comments: MUST. TRY. HARDERR.

Page 7 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2