Thanks

Laser Eye Surgery

I'm considering Laser eye surgery, (Intralase specifically), and just wanted to scour my artistic peers for their thoughts on it.

On one hand, the horrors of subjective complications make me cringe, the thought of trying to draw with something like double-vision sounds like it should be a circle of hell.

On the other hand, I am legally blind without my glasses. It would be awful nice to see the whole nude posing or landscape without having to court whiplash.

Have any of you had Laser Eye Surgery? What are your thoughts on it?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,218 Times in 254 Posts

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to davi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,406 Times in 562 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by davi View Post
    god i would kill for laser eyes

and i would kill with them too...
    lazer eyes, that would be awesome. Then you'd be just as good as cyclops though.
    But if i really had the choice, i'd want an adamantium skeleton, and a superhuman healing factor. I wouldn't even ask for the claws, i'd take them though. I'd gladly take them...
    "I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Artstation

Or my stream on Twitch! http://www.twitch.tv/wwsketch

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ArtZealot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    *shudder* Do one eye at a time? Then if doc fucks up one, you still have the other and can be the cool guy with the eye-patch!

But seriously, I had a prof who's artist friend had it done in the beginning of the industry and got double-halo. I had a older co-worker who had work done a few yrs ago and pretty much lost his eyesight in one eye. Then I had a friend from high school who had it done, turned out fine and loves it. *shrug* Do you research thoroughly, not just on what goes into doing it, but WHO is doing it.
    Last edited by Mirana; May 23rd, 2008 at 09:57 PM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nooooo don't do it!

They slice open your cornea and shine LASERS! Into your EYES! D: While you're awake. OH GOD It's fucking barbaric. I get sick even thinking about it. :X
    'Cuz life is full of your regrets, and I should be one...

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PuppyKitten For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PuppyKitten View Post
    They slice open your cornea and shine LASERS! Into your EYES! D: While you're awake. OH GOD It's fucking barbaric. I get sick even thinking about it. :X
    And THIS is why I shudder. I'm not a doc, but I've heard that the process involving cutting the cornea? It doesn't heal back. It's just a flap that is held on by the vaccum of the eyeball. EUWWWWWwwwwwwwwwwwww.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My grandma has had laser surgery twice, and has a better life because of it. Without it, she'd be blind.

And a friend of mine could finally throw away the glasses, he had so bad sight he was nowhere close to be allowed a license to drive a car. Now he has one.

So I'm all for laser surgery. What I do mind though, is if this is in a country where you'd have to make sure you checked up the surgeon doing the procedure. Make sure he/she has done it for a while, is up to date on your specific condition (as there's several reasons people would have eye surgery), and has no history with ruinings patients eyesight earlier. It's a pretty scary thing to do without checking up on the procedure and the people doing it. And be sure to get a second opionion no matter what, to be sure that whatever they tell you is correct.
    "The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"

Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
    Blog
    Facebook, please send me a message about your username

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sorknes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirana View Post
    And THIS is why I shudder. I'm not a doc, but I've heard that the process involving cutting the cornea? It doesn't heal back. It's just a flap that is held on by the vaccum of the eyeball. EUWWWWWwwwwwwwwwwwww.
    It does heal, it's just held in place by the vacuum until it heals.

I don't plan on getting laser eye surgery any time soon, but that's mostly just because I don't mind wearing glasses. If my glasses were a bother, I probably wouldn't hesitate getting it. It has a 95% satisfaction rate, and the tech gets better every day. It's significantly safer than regularly wearing contact lenses.

Eric
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 0kelvin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I want to do it. Mostly because I want to be able to wear sweet sunglasses.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to nonie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    I want to do it. Mostly because I want to be able to wear sweet sunglasses.
    they have these things called prescription lenses now. I've got some, they're pretty sweet

contacts too, actually
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

20. The Following User Says Thank You to DavePalumbo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Apparently one of the biggest inconveniences of laser eye surgery is dry eye - constantly suffering with scratchy dry eyes and having to use eye drops for the rest of your days. Has something to do with severing the corneal nerve which does something to the tear ducts. I'm not too clued up on the details, but this is something that I briefly read about

I so want to get it done.... imagine waking up first thing in the morning and being able to see! or lying down and not warping your glasses, or not bashing your boyfriend's face with your nerd glasses when you kiss him

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Visionspring For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    See, if having the surgery is an improvement on your life that glasses or contacts cannot provide (ie Sorknes examples) then I'm all for it. Otherwise? My contacts are just fine. I figure the longer I wait, the more they'll improve their techniques anyway.

Glasses give me super-bad headaches...how do you guys do it?

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Visionspring View Post
    Apparently one of the biggest inconveniences of laser eye surgery is dry eye - constantly suffering with scratchy dry eyes and having to use eye drops for the rest of your days.
    Quote for the true

I had 2 different kind of eye drops. One is for normal use, couple times a day. The other is for first thing in the morning because eye dry up while you sleep. It's not that bad once your get used to it. Make sure search for a good and experience doctor to do the surgery. I heard bad story before, and I also experience a bad doctor try to push me do the surgery at the same day when I visit. I later find out the method he recommend is not suit for me and I glad I didn't take his offer.

Before the lasik, I'm had really bad eyes. I can only see things 3 inches in front of me. Eye glasses give me bad headache--it's too heavy and slide down frequently.
    Visit my website @
    www.Pencilkiller.com

My first published work
    www.Rhysmyth.com

26. The Following User Says Thank You to pencilkiller For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Har, let me give you my experience from working in the eyecare industry for about 7 months.

First off, I don't recommend working in the eyecare industry for any amount of time... No matter how tempting the prospect of free eye exams, glasses, and contacts sounds. EVER! Although I did get about $730 worth of glasses (and who knows how much contacts) in those 7 months I worked there.

I met a lot of older people who had refractive surgery (which more of an umbrella term than laser surgery) and almost all of them loved it and said they would do it again in a heartbeat. Granted, they needed glasses now that they were older and developed presbyopia (inability to focus on close objects due to age, not to be confused with farsightedness or hyperopia) but they all told me how much they loved it and encouraged me to do the same. (I'm super near sighted)

However, working as an optician we get to see all kinds of doctor's prescriptions and have the misfortune of dealing either directly or indirectly with a number of different doctors. Indirectly because the doctor didn't properly inform their patient about the prescription, and then we have to explain it... (but they don't trust us because we're not doctors) Or we actually have to call these people because the prescription they wrote makes no sense.

Needless to say, it makes you very aware of who is a good doctor and who is not. And that bad doctors are plentiful.

I also have heard a number of horror stories where for instance the surgeon accidentally did the same procedure twice on the same eye, effectively blinding the patient permanently. (Or something to that effect)

Anyway, do lots of research. And that one eye at a time approach might not be a bad way to go about it.

Oh and prescription sunglasses suck. For a number of reasons, but I don't want to bore anyone.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gory For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gory View Post
    I also have heard a number of horror stories where for instance the surgeon accidentally did the same procedure twice on the same eye, effectively blinding the patient permanently. (Or something to that effect)

Anyway, do lots of research. And that one eye at a time approach might not be a bad way to go about it.
    And in the case of the above doc, should you go in with one that's already done, put a big X on the lid of it.
    Last edited by Mirana; May 24th, 2008 at 07:26 PM.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I have heard some first hand accounts of eye surgery gone bad. I would not have eye surgery for the sake of convenience only. On the other hand, the status quo may not have a good outcome either.

It seems like a case of risk balancing. You need to compare the outcome of a worst case surgery scenario with the outcome of doing nothing? You might find the worst case scenario of either alternative is blindness, but one of the alternatives gives you a reasonable probability of decent vision.
    The truth will set you free,
    but first it's gonna piss you off!

Website
    www.ceandersonart.com

Facebook
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Ed-...47726545290769

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Wooly ESS For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thank you for your input and advice, folks.

Thanks
    I new a lady who got it and it made her eyes worse
    Sorry for being such a negative nancy

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Candras For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    JK- It can last for 7 minutes, days, months, years, or it can last forever. Certain patients eyes have higher success rates than others. The one good thing to note is if your eyesight does get worse it doesn't necessarily immediately go back to where you started out.

So even if it does happen, people with particularly bad eyesight are still better off.

As for earthquakes, I'm sure that can complicate any surgery.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Gory For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I had laser surgery myself only last year, and since I've been wearing glasses for a long time it was a really welcome relief. I have 20/20 vision now, the only issue (not really a problem) is that my eyes are much more sensitive to light now and I have to turn down my monitor brightness to the lowest level - and if they get exposed to really bright lights it can almost hurt. My night vision however seems to be even more 'grainy' than before, although I can still see albeit very limitedly.

The dry eyes went away after a few months, btw. I don't need to use eye drops at all. Then again, as mentioned before, it's different for everyone.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Cadaure For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    I want it. I use contacts with my cool sunglasses, but when i work at the computer i don't blink as often, and i dry up like crazy and it becomes uncomfortable. And switching between disposable contacts and glasses becomes expensive in the long run.

I'm gonna wait ~5 years tho.

41. The Following User Says Thank You to Slash For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Want it to...but I can`t afford it...and i want to wait till the risk of losing the thing that is most important for a visually working artist is at a far lower minimum. I don`t want to ruin my entire life because doc fucks my eyes up...But until i can afford it , it is probably that time anyways...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

43. The Following User Says Thank You to corky13 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Your thread made me do some research on Lasik surgery.
    I found this site http://www.usaeyes.org/ which is offering information to consider and ask to your chosen surgeon. Here are the tough questions which help you to decide.
    http://www.usaeyes.org/lasik/faq/las...-questions.htm

45. The Following User Says Thank You to sve For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    And in the case of the above doc, should you go in with one that's already done, put a big X on the lid of it.
    New glasses always give me really bad headaches, always. It takes about a week of wearing them constantly until the headaches are gone and life is good again.

I love my glasses, but i would do laser eye surgery in a SPLIT SECOND if they thought that otherwise I was astronaut material.

I WANT TO BE AN ASTRONAUT SO BAD.

47. The Following User Says Thank You to daestwen For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    my mom got it a few months ago. She hasn't complained about anything, not even dry eyes. Since she got it she has had 20/20 vision and loves it; before her eyes were slowly degrading and this has helped a lot. You should probably be wary of the doctor you get to do it. My mom got it from one of the most renown eye doctors in the U.S. who just so happens to be close to were we live. I have the same problem my mom had and am considering risking the operation but only if it was from the same doctor.

Thanks
    my glasses are the only thing that make me look slightly intelligent, so no surgery for me, definately not-.

Thanks
    hmm, I've got 20/12 vision already, you think they could get me to 20/8?

Thanks
    It doesnt heal back? Im not sure about that.

If you are correct I am officially not going to spend the rest of my life with a barely stuck on eye flap that sounds like it can open up if im in the shower.

But i doubt it doesnt heal back, that sounds ridiculous. eyeballs heal, my friend got a bit of an injury on his eyeball, it healed. i dont know where you got your info

Thanks
    Skimming, I imagine? Try post #8.