underground city

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

underground city

I did this not long ago and thought I'd post it here. I was playing with distances this time and tried to get the lights convincing. Take a look at this:

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by KrisD; May 23rd, 2008 at 11:31 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Must've been some kind of mistake, now it's there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lighting is okay here. You should include something to suggest the scale of the environment. People are usually added because we understand mostly how people fit into the world around us. Anything that is recognizable would work.

Establishing foreground, midground, background would be a good step while thinking about where to put your scale reference.

SSG 37The Show Must Go On!
    | Bard |

| My Sketchbook |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually I like the feeling of this light quite a lot, I just find it funny that some objects are effected only by the red light and some only by the white when in fact those lights should be combined in some areas.
    Other than that, I second Matsign's second crit, about forground and backround, it is quite flat right now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First off I give you props for tackling such a hard subject. I'm glad that you understand you should paint light and NOT the object. with that said there are a few things off that i see. first what type of reference did you use for this? if the answer is none, don't be afraid or proud to use reference. even Alan Lee and John Howe use reference when they did Lord of the Ring Book Covers and Concept work for the movie. Even Jon Foster uses reference for all of his comic book covers and so most other illustrators. You do not need to find a picture that looks exactly like this. You can find a combination of photos and piece them together. LOOK AT PERSPECTIVE BOOKS. There are so many people out there that refuse to learn perspective because its too boring. Don't do that to yourself! Learn, Learn, Learn, thats what its all about. Also what is the story? what are these buildings all about? Is this architecture roman and greek influenced? are they a branch of society that went underground and finally discovered after their ceiling caved in? or are they gollum-like-monks that have spend years underground refining their own doomsday religion? make up a story not just a pretty picture.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I did a small update with the guidance of yours. I added some folk here and there and changed the appearance of that weird gateway. I just thought it looked too empty so I filled it up with a handy staircase. As for perspecitve: I made two bridges leading from the distant area towards the viewer on the left as well as another hole in the cave ceiling far away.

I haven't really thought about the origin of the people living here, the idea of the cave-city and torch-lit dwellings just banged into my head while I was trying to draw a realistic light in a cave. Then I started to fill the darkness with little dots of light and kindled the city. The origin could be something like people fleeing from a mighty enemy and hiding in the mountains. Eventually they started to cleave their dwellings into the cliffs and stumbled upon a great underground cave. They moved in there then and lived so ever after untouched by the enemy.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.