speed paintings

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: speed paintings

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

speed paintings

I'm curious about what speed painting is exactly and what people get out of them. I know from looking at threads, blogs, and other postings that the time frame can actually range a bit. So what are some average or common time frames you prefer to use when doing speed paints? Also, what are some common goals that you try to keep in mind when you do a speed paint?

"It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Asatira For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's the digital painting equivalent to a fast pencil sketch. Useful for fast iteration of colour composition and layout. Half an hour to an hour (or even one and a half in the beginning) should give you enough time to make stuff visible without jumping into too much detail work.

As mentioned above you can use it as an starting point of an actual painting or use it as a training device. In this case it probably more about hammering colour theory, composition/layout, form, as well as technical software usability so far into your subconsciousness that you do not need to think about these topics while painting. The result should be a more direct (from you), dynamic (less unwanted stiffness), instinctive (no need to think about useless junk, just the useful stuff) painting (or something like that).

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to _Mario For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To add to mario's post, Speed painting also teaches you to get all your general ideas down first, and fast. A bad habit of many young artists is to get lost in details long LONG before they should.

That and time is money. The faster you can paint the more jobs you can take and raise your income.

My work: [link]

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    is it best to do speed paint form reference initially?, i assume it would be as i have trouble getting any depth, when i try and speed paint it all ways ends up with with some figure taking up the majority of the canvas er i answered my own question but i will click post anyway.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can do with reference or without, for learning prose with would probably be a easier start. You could try to squint while looking at the reference. The blurriness removes superficial details a bit and makes it easier to focus on the "big picture".

10. The Following User Says Thank You to _Mario For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So, what are some things to keep in mind when doing a speed paint versus a longer painting?

"It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A speed painting shouldn't be much different from a normal painting. The reason you do a speed painting is so you can apply it to a long term painting. The main thing you want to get out of it is the same as everyone has said, you want to get the forms down, shading and color, THEN go into the details... Gradually.

Check out My Sketchbook!

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Homeless Foxman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Composition. Most speed painters I watch, start every single painting with giant, giant shapes and play with them until they are happy with the composition. Then they figure out WHAT they are painting.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin. For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    justin is right there, also its just about getting ideas out quickly and training your brain to think of creative things.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to archipelago For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Asatira View Post
    I'm curious about what speed painting is exactly and what people get out of them. I know from looking at threads, blogs, and other postings that the time frame can actually range a bit. So what are some average or common time frames you prefer to use when doing speed paints? Also, what are some common goals that you try to keep in mind when you do a speed paint?
    I found this page not long ago and when i saw ur thread i thought i'd share it with u.

It was written by Koshime (i think he's registered here in CA, im almost sure actually).
    I havent read it very accurately yet but many things seem to make sense.

As for me, i dont think my knowledge of the thing is relevant enough yet to share it but still i hope the link will help u have a more accurate idea of the thing.

Last edited by SM; May 26th, 2008 at 06:27 PM.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to SM For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.