Sketchbook: title 3 (28.12.) - Page 5
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Thread: title 3 (28.12.)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I see great progress over these pages. The public sniper drawing is very good, and especially the fact that you do so much of it is good. Whenever I try doing that, I just draw one or two persons and then give up because no one keeps still!

I espicially like your self portraits. Do more of those. Try not to start rendering too quickly - you want all the proportions to be correct first. Begin with simple shapes, don't go into detail too soon. Many of your SPs are too long, or too thin. Make sure the basic shapes are correct before you move to details and rendering.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Serpian: Thanks! I followed your advice and tried to get the proportions down this time. I have tried it before, many times actually, but it has always failed.

Somehow I saw things more "clearly" today and I think I got the proportions down quite nicely... Not much likeness still though, the eye-nose-mouth area is so messed up. The main problem is that the eyes are just a bit too small and too far apart. I didn't use much time with this, I'll try to do better next time.

Attached Images Attached Images          

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a pile of nonref'd dung but I see a bright future: My life drawing classes start tomorrow! They'll be 18:30 - 21:00 every Tuesday until April 2009.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Edit: Double post.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats on your new classes, they will help you a lot im sure. Heres something to have in mind in the future: the limbs have movement limits, the legs can move backwards not so much, the column can twist to a limits, the arms also have its limits, try to measure this limit before trying to draw any pose, otherwise the pose will look unnatural when you try to put a limb over its normal limits. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Christian223: Thanks again, it's great to have you here always giving insight.

The first two pages are 2 minute poses and the 3rd is 10 minutes. After that the instructor suggested that I'd take a bigger paper. I did, the paper was something like a meter high... It was pretty hard, I've only drawn on A4 before and at the size that I see. The same pose continues next week but I won't be able to post the result here, since it's so big and I don't have a camera.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been drawing but haven't updated this thread for a while. Here's some new stuff, all from today. The bad looking drawings are 30 sec poses from Posemaniacs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Taneli, nice to see you working hard. (Still )

Keep up the good work, and dont forget to try and apply what you've learnt to something from head everynow and then - you will have to go through everything you've learnt and hopefuly it'll stay fresh in your memory

I'll be watching

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lakka: Thanks for stopping by again, it's nice to have you here regularly too! I have included some hands from my head in this update... they are abysmal but I'll be better in the future. Hands are kind of going into detail too soon, so I'll leave them to a closer study later.

Lots of writing, a messy onion and a frustration-induced modification of an sp.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Andrew loomis has a book specialized on how to draw hands, so imagine how complex it is that loomis wrote an entire book dedicated to them, so i recomend you to leave hands for a while until you feel more comfortable with other things.

I also recommend you to follow the second tutorial here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=14119
    it will give you insight on how to draw heads, take a few hours to do this one, dont do it fast, take your time, erase as often as needed, have patience, and remember that your are learning so dont get frustrated when you expect masterfull results and you dont get them, you are a learning students so remember that and have patience and understanding of yourself. Follow the steps as carefully as you can, that way youll learn more.
    I wish you good luck!, keep it up!, keep your motivation allways up and dont demoralize yourself!, thats very important to keep going!.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Christian223: Thanks for the link, I'll do that.

Wow, what an excersise in procrastination. I started drawing at 1 AM and now I need to be up in about four hours to take a morning jog and go to work after that.

I don't know if I should attach those 30 sec poses from Posemaniacs, maybe they are just additional clutter and very uninteresting to boot. What do you think?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you're doing good work here, and its all gonna pay off later, keep at it!

try drawing some figures inside to out (skeletal structure to surface)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LSeraph: I have a figure drawing class once a week, but yeah I should draw some skeletons. Well, figures too... Once a week isn't much.

About 10 minutes per head. Some of these are baaad but I'll give you a better update tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Best heads i have seen from you, good job. Now you should try doing them from memory, and correct them with the reference, thats the way to really put them on your mind, otherwise its just a copy and you are only learning to copy things. I tell you that i have draw thousands of hand before and i still cant draw them correctly, thats because i only copied them, but to learn something you should get something as a reference and try to draw that from memory, and then correct the mistakes of it using the reference, and then try to do it from memory with what you have learned, then correct it again, and then draw it again from memory, thats a great method to learn.
    I hope that helps, Good luck!.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Christian223 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Christian223: At least I feel I have learned a lot with only copying. My imagination drawings are a thousand times better than in, let's say last November. I know that the method you are suggesting will give results faster though and I have no excuses not to do it.

I've been really annoyed with sp's lately. Can't seem to get any progress in... Next one will be a whole day sp. I have a day-off in Friday, that's the day for it. I'm going to begin 8:30 AM after a morning jog and breakfast and not finish until I'm satisfied.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah sorry for beign such a bother, its just i see that this two method will take you into different paths, my personal experience tells me that other methods are much better and when i see you are doing the same "mistake" i did its such a shame, i feel you could spend better your time in the method i told you before, you could improve in days, not in months. You follow your feelings though, if it helps you then its cool, ill quit bothering you i promise , keep it up! )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Christian223: Don't quit bothering me! I just already know that I should do the studies like you suggested. No need to remind me further. Keep giving crits and advice, I like it.

I bought a brushpen and some marker today. That marker man is showing through pretty badly, haha. Very not thought out scribblings, but fun! Studies with the brushpen.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Slacking. I was hoping I would have had time to similar figures from head but the Internet got the best of me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I promised to give you a long sp today. Didn't do it because at about 2,5 hours I couldn't find much to improve so I stopped. I'm pretty happy with it, even if there isn't much likeness, yet. I'll get there some day!

Really ugly fast skeleton studies. As I remembered right, skeletons are a HUGE pain. I'll try to do longer studies another time when I feel like I could concentrate better. Some fleshed out poses from my head and insanely fun ink scribbles.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work with the sp, you really pushed yourself. It's easily your best so far. Also loving your Loomis figures. I like how you're experimenting with brushpens and aren't afraid to just enjoy yourself. Keep it up man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    D.C.: Thanks, I also feel it's my best sp so far. Maybe I should have pushed the values bit more though.

I've noticed I'm quite bad at drawing from life, so here's the first page of remedy for that problem. About an hour's worth of assorted lines from life. What a lazy day, I'll work harder tomorrow.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great to see all of the progress form the first page to now. It shows the studies that I am doing will pay off too. Have you ever tried to smooth out your shading with a tortillion?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    apualani: I have one but I've never tried it. I read somewhere that it's usually best not to use blending tools much, at least with pencil drawings.

I don't know if there's any point to this post. No graphical updates today, I'm here just to say that I drew 30 sec poses from Posemaniacs about 1,5 hours today and that is all... Argh. I always do them on my A3 sketchbook and I can't be bothered to scan them in.

Off to sleep.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two selected (best) 2 min poses from life drawing class and some other things from life.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a new imagination drawing with slapped on background elements!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some things in Alchemy with a mouse.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi again. My first sketchbook is named "#1 - 4.12.2007". It has been a year since then so I thought I'd update today. I have made some progress over the year but I haven't been drawing enough. That will change from now on, or it already has since I'm drawing more nowadays and having more fun with it too.

Some hand studies, the most recent imagination drawing and the first page from my first sketchbook for laughs. I started with "Fun with a Pencil" by Andrew Loomis.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mukava nähä lisää suomijengiä näilläkin foorumeilla.

Selvää kehitystä havaittavissa- jatka samaan malliin !

-Juhani

Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,320 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    The improvement within these few pages is evident! Great job, just keep on practicing, youll get there in no time!

Postaa lisää!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Surprise update! I'm back from a few months of not drawing. Some good loot from outside today. I have absolutely no idea where I was drawing the last one, but it seems I'm back home safely.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2