Hi I'm from deviantart!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up Hi I'm from deviantart!

I discovered this place by looking at chasethehedgehog. :/ This looks like a nice place for critique of my works, mind you I'm not very good at art. I only do art as a 2nd grade hobby, I mainly do them by drawing them first and then cleaning them up with MSpaint. Yes paint, it's the only freeware okay? Anyway, comment away!

http://aumbreon.deviantart.com/art/A...dland-84813318

http://aumbreon.deviantart.com/art/S...ested-81701374

http://aumbreon.deviantart.com/art/A...ested-79794192

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,345 Times in 1,123 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Chase is simultaneously the worst person who ever came here, the person who we had the most fun with, and the best advertising this site could get from those who scan ED

First off you'd get more comments if you posted your images directly on this site (IE upload them) if you go to edit->advanced then click manage attachments you can upload your pics directly here so we can see them without clicking links (there's a nifty tutorial on how to do that in the lounge if you get stuck)

From what I can see you seem to like to go for a cartoony look. One thing you might be overlooking, even if you don't quite like is reality, is drawing from life and the essentials of art. Yes, it can even help you with cartoons, as a quick look at this cool cat's work will show.

Notice the flow, the emphasized features and the sense of form you get even though they're mostly 'flat' designs. Studying the human form, your sneakers, anything around you can help you figure out what 'flow' and 'form' is al about.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with everything Jason said, but I'd like to add that MS Paint is definitely NOT the only freeware out there.

There are oekaki programs all over the place that are pretty sophisticated, not to mention GIMP (look into it!) and a few others. Just a google search away

Good luck with your digital journey.

'Cuz life is full of your regrets, and I should be one...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I call shenanigans.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DECYPL View Post
    I call shenanigans.
    On what?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty sure its a joke.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Put a smile on my face.

All though art isn't super detailed it was a bit soothing and made me smile a little. Funny thing is I allso found CA.org by looking up tracing on ed. then finding an article about chase.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty sure its a joke.
    Why, this person has a full gallery on DA, has been there for months, seems to have a community of friends, is humble, and is only 16.

Just because she's a beginner from deviantart doesn't mean she made this up as a joke, and I think it's a bit rude to call this a joke when, like I said, the evidence isn't there.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think it's a joke. If the artist was acting over the top, then I might.

But so far, this new person hasn't claimed to be awesome or anything outrageous.

Let's not feed imaginary trolls, anyway, okie dokies? ;P

'Cuz life is full of your regrets, and I should be one...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, welcome to ca then,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

wooops

Well, I was hungry but didn't know I'd be eating feet today. My apologies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I was hungry but didn't know I'd be eating feet today. My apologies.
    No problem man, we all munch on ground stompers at least one day out of the year

Thanks
    Thanked 1,494 Times in 744 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Heh. That's something I like about CA: people will give thoughtful critique to absolutely anything. Because...you never know.

I was once on the receiving end of a critique so savagely nasty, I marched straight out of class to the office and changed my major (sketchbook).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol.. u guys are mEAN!@ I LIKE THE KITTY, he's all confused cuz there are too many balls around =)

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Aumbreon, please attach your images directly to your post (edit>go advanced>manage attachments), rather than linking them.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well. it seems like you have quite the road ahead of you, Sir.
    my advice because everyone around here all has their two cents..
    Drop the Deviantart. it's only holding you back. DA is just full of Anime fan art crap..
    trust me.. making it go away would be the best thing for online art community.
    Concept Art.org.. best art community. it's not as commercial.. the only ads you have here is like.. the massive Black stuff and the CA.org gift shop..
    DA<CA

but dont worry about freeware.. MS paint sucks and we all know it.. I'm not gonna encouage it but there are ways of getting around the boundries of cash when you're talking about computer programs.

but yea.. Studies! Pencils! paper! you dont need the Wacom tablet that doubles as a computer screen or the most fancy pencil to draw one line or a plethora of oil paints to paint the god damn cistine chapel.. grab a sketch book and draw some stuff in it. draw some people, or some stuff out of an anatomy book. the more you familiarize yourself with the body, and color, and value, and shading and stuff.. they better you'll get and you'll see the improvement. and fast.. ask anyone it's definatly the RIGHT way to start out.

Witness the contents of mind, the visions and sounds, the thoughts, as clouds passing through the vast expanse - the sky-like nature of mind. The rootedness of Being is in emptiness, clarity and awareness: unborn, unspoilt, stainlessly pure. ~Alex Grey

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a recent convert from dA as well, and a digital artist. Got into art in high school and ended up going to the Savannah College of Art and Design. After a year here I can say my best advice is to draw as much as you can, and really learn your fundamentals. You don't need to work digital to learn. If you can draw with pencil you can paint digitally. It just means understanding the tools. Don't worry so much about making pretty art at this stage, focus more on things that help you learn. Draw from life and draw often. Also local art centers can be a godsend for hobby and beginner level artists. Some basic level drawing classes can teach you the fundamentals of drawing from life and how to get the most out of it. After that it just comes down to practice. Looking at your work now you really seem to enjoy the cartoon-y look, and despite what some would say there is nothing wrong with it. Just make sure it is a choice and not something that you have to do. Picasso could draw amazing realistic drawing, but choose to paint in a cubist style. Good luck.

Also, as mentioned previously GIMP is a very nice free program that many artist I know use, even over photoshop.

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club"
    -Jack London

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the white cat you made, its very stylish and nice

You have to drop digital paint for a while though, its not helping you to becoming better, i recommend you to start using pencil and paper and do stome still lifes, then you might try painting your drawings, try acrylic paint and oils, buy red, blue, yellow, white and black, thats all you need to start mixing paint, and start reading andrew loomis Books, www.fineart.sk, start with "Succesfull drawing", and keep it up!.

Jesus Bless you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, I thought I lost this thread!

Anyways, it looks like you've all seen my page. I recently got GIMP on my own, but its too complicated for me to use! @__@ I recognize features but I don't know enough terms and how to use this program period.

I've been busy all summer doing summer courses (just to get ahead) and now I have enough time to work on art after all this! Can any of u teach me how to properly use GIMP? ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Find tutorials online or play around in GIMP yourself and see what things do, but don't worry about GIMP so much at this time. Think about your fundamentals in art because no matter what medium you work in (whether it be digital, traditional, whatever it is you do) it's important to know the basics inside and out.

Just to echo what everyone else is saying because it's important: draw and learn from life as much as you can. It'll do wonders for your art.
    It will do you a lot of good here if you make a thread in the sketchbook section and constantly update it with new pictures as you learn more. Most people add a link to it in their signature to get easy access to it. Post more things, we want to see your work!

Members who have read this thread: 2