Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    A small thing i want to add if i may.

To those who are giving critiques, please read the post containing the info about the piece you're commenting on. You might find the answers you seek there.

Thank you.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Some of my thoughts on the critique center.....

1. The good, the bad and the good communicators: It is just as important to express what you think is correct or what works well about a piece because it lets the artist know when he/she is going in the right direction. Not saying anything and just assuming the artist knows what you think or how you might feel just doesn't work. After receiving good points it is often easier to accept the things that need fixing because believe it or not we are social creatures and a lot of communication such as body language, tone, and inflection are lost in this digital format so it is needed to communicate more fully with words.

2. Learn by giving: Believe it or not even if you don't think you are good enough to critique go ahead and do so because you will be learning as well. Personally speaking I know that when I critique others' work I often remember what works or what could be potential problems for my own work in the future. In addition to learning from other people's mistakes or successes you also learn how to scrutinize your own work better.

3. Quid pro quo: If you want to receive critiques on this board then it is wise to often give them as well. If you are just posting your work but not reply to others then they might be less likely to reply on your thread. However, by being more active in giving out critiques they might be more willing to return the favor.

Last edited by Ito Saith Webb; October 3rd, 2009 at 12:49 PM.

Imagination is not a total internal power but rather it is a reflection and multi-faceted projection of our experiences and knowledge. We take in information from the world around us and intuitively re-order it into something new. Something is not created from nothing but simply transformed from what was before.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ito Saith Webb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thx for that words, I'm new here and my first attempts to get some constructive criticism to my actual WIP failed sofar as, ecept one person, nobody seems to reply at all. Guys are just watching. I usually give critics to peoples' work myself in other forums, but after I had seen what some guys here are drawing like, I mean (almost) professional standard, I didn't dare to criticise at all!!!

Greets, Colt!!!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Colt Seavers View Post
    Thx for that words, I'm new here and my first attempts to get some constructive criticism to my actual WIP failed sofar as, ecept one person, nobody seems to reply at all. Guys are just watching. I usually give critics to peoples' work myself in other forums, but after I had seen what some guys here are drawing like, I mean (almost) professional standard, I didn't dare to criticise at all!!!

Greets, Colt!!!
    Well first of all it is a critique not a criticism which are two different things, even though they are connected and it is a very common misconception. A lot of art critics and art historians critique however a good majority of them don't have one ounce of skill. Lastly feedback is feedback, heck even saying what you like about a piece and why you like it can be constructive feedback. As far as replying to others threads but not receiving help well I would say not to have it as a expectation that they will come and offer feedback because that is unrealistic and you are just setting your self up for a disappointment, so the best you can do is hope you appeal to their good nature. However I also thought well perhaps the people we offer feedback on their work do not know that you have a WIP thread as well on the board so I just started adding a link to my current WIP thread in my signature. Sure I will have to change it each time I start a new project but if it works use it and abuse it.

Last edited by Ito Saith Webb; October 3rd, 2009 at 12:54 PM.

Imagination is not a total internal power but rather it is a reflection and multi-faceted projection of our experiences and knowledge. We take in information from the world around us and intuitively re-order it into something new. Something is not created from nothing but simply transformed from what was before.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ito Saith Webb For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I got a question

Lets say I've been posting my art here in the Critique Center because it's clearly not at the quality of for "Finally Finished" yet. But when I feel that I've completed a painting, or a series of them, would it be appropriate for me to RE POST the completed paintings in the "Finally Finished" section if I wanted to?

It would seem redundant to re-post all the pieces in the Finally Finished section... but then again... this is more of a WIP/Critique thread, so when it's done, I just want to make sure I'm not doing anything unapprorpiate by wanting to post it in FF.

Thanks!

Thanks
    I have a question, a user posted:
    This is a sketchbook. Ask a mod to move it please.
    I have only posted Portfolio pieces,for which I need constructive criticism.
    The Stuff that's in my Sketchbook is more 50's style, and more like my style
    sketchbook.

So was it wrong for me to post my portfolio pieces in the critique center ???

*Animation *Illustration *Comic *Caricatures *Storyboards Eco/ political/ educational- art

Thanks
    Thanked 16,683 Times in 5,021 Posts
    iven, I agree with the poster, the stuff in that thread is much more appropriate for a Sketchbook thread. The Critique Center is more for individual works you want specific help with, rather than general feedback on your whole body of work. Would you like me to merge the two threads into one Sketchbook thread?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Question merge ??

Would you like me to merge the two threads into one Sketchbook thread?
    Did you merged the threads already,....?!
    Would like to post more in my critique center but I think
    I should wait,......

*Animation *Illustration *Comic *Caricatures *Storyboards Eco/ political/ educational- art

Thanks
    Yup, this forum has helped me a lot. 80% good advices. Though one thing is weird...the number of guests is greater than the number of members. Trying to learn stuff off others works without the hassle of registering. I think, the forums should be locked from visitors. Come on, want to learn...simply JOIN.
    What do you think?

Cheer Up! World's a big place...

Thanks
    its perfectly fine to learn from others... something people should do more often anyway, because its quite tiring to say the same things over and over.

instead i often get the impression people are rushing in here, posting up their pictures, hoping for someone to spend the time and effort they didnt feel like, and running off for a nice day at a bar. yet most problems could easily be resolved by themselves, if they were taking into consideration and learning from whats been said/shown in other peoples threads.

id hate, having to login to browse through.

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sone_one View Post
    instead i often get the impression people are rushing in here, posting up their pictures, hoping for someone to spend the time and effort they didnt feel like, and running off for a nice day at a bar.
    I absolutely think that as well. "here I drew this, now tell me what to fix". I think the CC forum is very important in getting the fresh look and different opinions rather than a service you just drop by and dump your art and hope for the rescue.
    I find myself often in the situation though where I think "oh I'll just post that in the CC forum", and when click on "new thread" I am stuck, not really knowing what to ask- because I already know what I have to fix: the basics.

I would suggest to anyone in this forum to ask themselves upon opening a new thread, "what is it that I am asking for?". If there is something that freaks me out, then it is threads that start with "Any critique much appreciated" and then descend to "oh thanks for the tip, I'll do that next time". Well, if you intend to put more effort in next time, why don't you just get books on whatever your issues are, and figure it out yourself. I read 250 pages of Bamme yesterday, lucky that I am native in German language. I think own engagement with the study (if you're self taught/hobbyist/amateur) is a lot better than turning the CC forum into a sketch-McDrive. For example, Bamme despises Loomis and Hogarth for turning away from the scientific side of anatomic study, simplifying and over-exaggerating. This read is very enriching. I still regard Loomis' head studies as useful to me, but now I am also aware of different viewpoints. Alas, study.

A lot of general advice, I found, can be received in the Sketchbook forums. Surely most people leave a "hey nice work, keep it up" comment, but if you respond and engage with the people. you get some nice advice which the CC centre wouldn't give in a thread dealing with a particular piece of work.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LordLouis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ok...how about somebody posted something they needed advice for a project in the future. And after a few days he sees his idea done by someone else. That would mean stealing??? Am I wrong??? Of course nothing is original these days, but stealing is stealing. Simple.
    And about others pictures. Well, I wouldn't know whether he/she really wants to learn or is just passing time uploading stuff.
    Not everybody is a quick learner and not everybody can learn from others problems.
    As for me, I don't see any thread not asking serious stuff. Some people may not know what they want from the critiques and may be confused, in that case the reviewer should tell them to be clear instead of taking a grudge for wasting time in the forums.

Cheer Up! World's a big place...

Thanks
    to be honest, ive yet to see an original idea in the crit section... if you worry about your pictures/ideas beeing stolen...dont post them...anywhere.

yet i think the hardest lesson (and one reason people are put off often), is that your ideas arent as precious as they might appear to you. your personal and unique take on a nightelf-archer (what an amazing concept), might not have the impact you estimated. eventhough its your first time, weve seen it a thousand of times.

one thing that (to me) got lost, is that people who are striving to do art for a living, are recognizing that it is hard work to get there.
    "how to improve on that....", yet havent even done their browsing on the forums, which would bring up some answers and more important questions.

to me it seems that this is all going wrong, because people still seem to think, that something coming for free, has little value and can be treated easily. people fail to recognize that art is a product of effort (even if some prominent pictures carry the impression its not).

most of the time to me this is like ... a drowning man asking which move to make next, thinking this one (and only this one) move is a fundamental lifesaving action, and they lived happily everafter... yet would never consider learning how to swim...

newest sketchbook
    oil paintings

"Have only 4 values, but all the edges you want." Glen Orbik

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sone_one For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  • 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register