Some thoughts on posting in the Critique Center... - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I apologize if I said anything upsetting. Sorry...

Cheer Up! World's a big place...
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dont worry This is a discussion forum, and opinions are good and need an airing from time to time

I for one feel the freedom in this forum is one of its strongest points, free opinion, free advice and so on and so forth

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am curious, how can I get more critic in my threads. My last two have only managed 2-3 replies, which, while helpful and I am grateful, isn't really enough. I've noticed people who are completely negative or unresponsive to critic get 20-30 replies often. I am practically begging for help, what am I doing wrong?

-------

Blog

Sketch Book

New website coming soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bullitbikini View Post
    I am curious, how can I get more critic in my threads. My last two have only managed 2-3 replies, which, while helpful and I am grateful, isn't really enough. I've noticed people who are completely negative or unresponsive to critic get 20-30 replies often. I am practically begging for help, what am I doing wrong?
    I can only speak for myself, but just a few things from me:

1. Your thread about futuristic soldiers. You got very useful critique there, redline and help- but you never fixed the wobbly leg/no knee issue, the dwarfen-statue and the squashed face of the right guy. With stating that you want it to be a portfolio piece, you were not ready to put more effort into it, which the critiques had suggested. The critiques weren't long I know, but they all were down to the point. I am not suggesting that you deliberately ignored critique, you might even have taken it very seriously and tried to apply it, but nonetheless, it is not visible. What helps is that you explain what you did, rather than "next update" etc.
    2. When it comes to environments, threads are never overly populated. Most work here is that of the human figure, and is prone to most of the mistakes- thus more people have an eye to see issues, which is not the case with environments. Plus, your thread showed thumbnails, which of course is an additional factor that normaly reduces the amount of posts, because they show a work in progress and not a piece which needs help.
    3. You are not clear enough about what you want. Just to take the example from the environment thumbnail thread:
    "so i guess id like input on which ones would provide the most challenge and show the widest range of skills" First of all, you guess? And secondly, only you know what is most challenging for you. You got two responses stating which were preferred. Okay, good so far. Then you update, having picked 4 and gone to colour, stating
    "Please help me make this portfolio ready. Dont be gentle, give it to me straight." Sorry but, I cannot help you like this. What do you want? Critique on colour, composition, what are the images intended to do? Even asking "what is important for a portfolio?" would have generated more replies. You seem very uncertain about what you want from the CC forum. Think before you post up your wips what you think you need help with. I personally think that you just have to learn and train more, you are off to a good start and it takes further practice, which the CC forum cannot take from you. Unless of course, there is a specific question.
    4. This is only a minor issue, but something that does bother me: no user avatar. This forum is HUUUGGGEEEEE and thus it is important to create a solid identity that people recognise. It gives the impression that you want to be engaged with the forum, and that you care. This is of course more of a social aspect, but I personally (!) find nothing more annoying than lack of avatars. I tend to remember pictures, not names.
    5. The ultimate randomness of the universe. Sometimes a thread gets more attention for no obvious reasons. The reasons for that are not always the same. Sometimes the threadstarter is registered since 2002 and has made him/herself a "name" on CA, maybe they have been recognized as putting a lot of effort into their work, maybe someone posted a critique that is controversial, or sometimes the images themselves are just so boring and scream "I couldn't bother!" that I am put off answering. And also, don't forget that the time zones play a role. When I start a thread, I do that late evening, my time- because in only a few hours when I will be sleeping, the US of A will have daytime(s) and thus CA most active, which raises the likelyhood of me getting replies.

I hope I didn't come across too negative or insulting, I hope I could help you a little with the little things that make the big difference.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to LordLouis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi matey

This is something I have wondered at myself from time to time,
    Quote Originally Posted by bullitbikini View Post
    I dont think there is an easy answer mate, maybe people think that you are better than them and dont feel they should comment!? If it helps you I shall look out for your posts and have a look at each and every one, however If I cant see anything to improve then I wont comment, thats another point to consider mate. I'm not one to blow sunshine up your back passage for no reason.

All the best mate

P.S. I left a comment in your sketchbook, and you didint reply, so get some more stuff in there because I'm waiting impatiently. lol

A great kind hearted lumbering bullock

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=209918 = my Sketchbook

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lightship69 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks a lot for your thoughts lord louis! Iwill take them to heart and work on the things i can do to be a better member here. as soon as i find an apartment and get al set up i will make an avatar as well. Thank you to Lightship as well! i replied ot my sketchbook thread, but sadly at the moment i cannot upload anything new gimme a week or so haha

-------

Blog

Sketch Book

New website coming soon!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bullitbikini For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LordLouis View Post
    4. This is only a minor issue, but something that does bother me: no user avatar. This forum is HUUUGGGEEEEE and thus it is important to create a solid identity that people recognise. It gives the impression that you want to be engaged with the forum, and that you care. This is of course more of a social aspect, but I personally (!) find nothing more annoying than lack of avatars. I tend to remember pictures, not names.
    Yikes!

<--- sheepishly sneaks off and adds an avatar

12. The Following User Says Thank You to thegiffman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello everyone, Im hoping you could answer some questions I have in this thread as I didn't know where else I could post this. So on to the questions:

1. Im getting almost no feedback on my sketchbook even though I update everyday and I was hoping people would criticize my work and help me get better. I have posted on others sketchbooks and so far Im finding lots of talented artists that could help me, yet no one ever comments on my work. Why?

2. Should I have posted here on the criticisms Forums?

Those are my questions, I just want to be nice and helpful to my fellow artists and hope we can talk and share ideas as this is what I think CA was made for.

And on another note I will make clear again that my username is the name of a song, I don't have any messiah complex or anything or I wouldn't be looking for help and critics. thanks!

Check out my sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by smallergod View Post
    2. Should I have posted here on the criticisms Forums?
    It's not either/or. Sketchbooks are for all your stuff, CC/WIPS is for specific pieces. Often, posting a piece here will lead people to check out your Sketchbook thread for other work.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Blue pointed out a long time ago that it is "important for people not to argue the critiques" but refered only to the person asking for the critique. I think that it is equally important not to attack another critiquer for giving (in your opinion) bad advice. I have seen it all to often and it creates tension and aggrivation and could scare of people from trying to help. It is much better to simply post your own criticue or if you have to correct someone who is blatantly wrong do so in a respectful manner.

This is just something that has been bothering me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So apparently if you upload your image with the attachment manager, you do not get a thumbnail icon for the thread.
    Kind of a major problem for this section...
    If you use another host it seems to work fine but it would be great if we didn't have to go that route.

Thoughts?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 140