Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks

Some thoughts on posting in the Critique Center...

First of all I think this forum is great, and there are a lot of really good bits of advice floating around in it. I think a lot of beginners and intermediate artists should make it a habit of not only posting in here, but checking out other people's threads for those great nuggets of advice. There is the occassional redline sketch or paint over that really shows some great advice that is applicable to lots of people. People get burnt out a bit on repeating advice, so if you aren't getting in depth crits, look at other threads that may already have covered very similar issues in more depth.

Also, I believe this forum is best for work that you've already made a sizable effort on. Posting a rough sketch, or even a more finished sketch of only a single figure with no other background elements, well those might be more valuable in the sketchbook forum. Start a sketchbook thread and seek advice there for those types of works and I think you'll get better results.

It's also good to give us an idea of particular areas you think you need help. It gives people something to focus their crit on. A general "please crit me" will probably get general suggestions rather than the specific advice that will help you improve.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 31 Users Say Thank You to J Wilson For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Thanked 3,347 Times in 1,123 Posts
    I agree. I actually used to be a big proponent of this and then had to be a big hypocrite and post a not-quite-finished piece of art in here that was better suited for, and moved to, sketches/WIP.

EDIT: Oh, and I just recently found out how fantastic the 'find thanked posts" function is for finding generally helpful things that generally helpful people have posted.... generally
    Last edited by Jason Rainville; May 21st, 2008 at 04:23 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,688 Times in 5,023 Posts
    Dweller, you've been stickied.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanks Elwell. This was my first time getting stickied by another man

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Rainville View Post
    Oh, and I just recently found out how fantastic the 'find thanked posts" function is for finding generally helpful things that generally helpful people have posted.... generally
    Yeah it's a pretty nice feature to be able to look through specific people's post history and see what they've been giving out for advice. When I see a good piece of info it's cool to be able to see where else they've left other bits of advice.

Thanks
    Just a thought here: is it possible to make it like, if a person update his post with new work, his post will be bumped to the top or something ?

The thing is, I would like to keep all my works in one post, because I think if everyone makes a new post everytime they make one new work, then the forum will be filled with chaos and dis-organize. However I do want to get attention and feedback for the new work I've done, and currently it's in about page 4 which people usually don't go. So is it possible to make it easier for people to see when everytime a person updates his post with new work(s) so it has more chance to get feedbacks ?

Thanks
    jalingon3011, there is a sketchbook forum that operates in that kind of capacity. If you wanted to use your sketchbook there for more finished works just to keep everything in one place, I'm no one would mind. There are also a few people that are doing something similar in this thread with works that are related.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,688 Times in 5,023 Posts
    Instead of editing the original post to add new work, do it in a reply. That will take it back up to the top of the list. There's nothing wrong with bumping a thread as long as you're posting new work, or legitimately replying to another post.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Since this thread is stickied:

I also advice avoiding links to ur pictures since people dont really like them plus they're made quite useless by the attachment manager.

Secondly pay attention to ur file size since people (me, myself and i) hate it to have to scroll down the pic during half an hour just to cover the forehead area of a character...

Click the preview post button if ur not sure about the size and if indeed its too big, resize.
    In Photoshop, to have an idea of how big the pic will show here at C.A just zoom to actual pixels.

If ur in a hurry and dont have time to resize, just post when u have time then.

Last edited by SM; July 25th, 2008 at 03:20 AM.

Thanks
    I hope I didn't miss this above, but I think it is extremely important people don't ARGUE the critiques.

Not all critiques must be followed, they are all suggestions. Some are more obvious then others, and in some occasions you can take the advice but decide not to go that direction. Nothing works against your interests then to argue every critique down as if you need to educate us on how perfect your painting is. Be humble, learn to take the crit. Smile and keep working.

Leave your egos at the door please.
    My work: [link]

Thanks
    Some thoughts.

1) Paintovers are a good way of showing where/what you're talking about. Instead of typing "that one little area right there with the X, Y, Z, should be moved/rotated this or that way. Your X lead the eye out of the picture to yada yada...".

Right click, save as, open with CS2, new layer, paint.
    Reply.

2) Be as clear and specific as you're able to be.

Example (taken from an actual Critique Center reply)

Incredibly Vague:
    "Edge-lighting."

Very Clear:
    "I think the edge lighting on the shoulder is a little too bright because X, Y, and Z."
    "I think you should add a bit of edge lighting to the shoulder because of X, Y, and Z."

See the difference? Maybe even do a paintover!

3) Don't post your work and then list 12 things that you know need to be fixed. What exactly do you want people to do in this situation?

This has been said before by others, but it bears repeating and I'm sure I've done this before too...

Artist: "I need to fix A, B, and C, but what else should I fix?"
    CA: "....A, B, and C."

Waste of both parties time IMHO.

Try and fix those 12 things before you post.

4) If I'm running 1280x1024 and I have to scroll to see your picture...it's too large

I'm sure I'll have more later.
    Last edited by Earendil; July 28th, 2008 at 02:07 AM.
    Sketchbook Support Group
    Earendil Jussi Tarvainen Reidaj

~Hope~

15. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Earendil For This Useful Post:

i live in waynesvill MI a small town but ehh it works
    Thanks
    Hey im new to this website and i was wondering if my drawings is average should i try painting or improve drawing b4 is start painting?

i live in waynesvill MI a small town but ehh it works
    Thanks
    oh and another thing wats with the lvl gladiator stuff?

Thanks
    A small thing i want to add if i may.

To those who are giving critiques, please read the post containing the info about the piece you're commenting on. You might find the answers you seek there.

Thank you.

Thanks
    Some of my thoughts on the critique center.....

1. The good, the bad and the good communicators: It is just as important to express what you think is correct or what works well about a piece because it lets the artist know when he/she is going in the right direction. Not saying anything and just assuming the artist knows what you think or how you might feel just doesn't work. After receiving good points it is often easier to accept the things that need fixing because believe it or not we are social creatures and a lot of communication such as body language, tone, and inflection are lost in this digital format so it is needed to communicate more fully with words.

2. Learn by giving: Believe it or not even if you don't think you are good enough to critique go ahead and do so because you will be learning as well. Personally speaking I know that when I critique others' work I often remember what works or what could be potential problems for my own work in the future. In addition to learning from other people's mistakes or successes you also learn how to scrutinize your own work better.

3. Quid pro quo: If you want to receive critiques on this board then it is wise to often give them as well. If you are just posting your work but not reply to others then they might be less likely to reply on your thread. However, by being more active in giving out critiques they might be more willing to return the favor.
    Last edited by Ito Saith Webb; October 3rd, 2009 at 12:49 PM.

Imagination is not a total internal power but rather it is a reflection and multi-faceted projection of our experiences and knowledge. We take in information from the world around us and intuitively re-order it into something new. Something is not created from nothing but simply transformed from what was before.

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ito Saith Webb For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast