P.O.W.! Challenge 11--Giant Bugs
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following

P.O.W.! Challenge 11--Giant Bugs

P.O.W.! Challenge 11
    Deadline: June 10, 2008, 11:59 pm anywhere in the world.

Topic: Giant Bugs

Okay, we're back to our regular schedule, which will run one assignment at a time, three weeks each. This one is simple and straight-forward, and totally open-ended, so think for a bit before jumping to obvious solutions--heehee. Interpret any way you wish. Any media. B&W or Color.

You can present your solution as a minimum of TWO to a maximum of SIX pages which adhere to standard comic specs as below...and, yes, you can have the first or last (or both) as a splash page if you want.

Standard Comic Book Size:

--Trim size: 6 5/8" x 10 1/4"
    --Live art area: 6" x 9"
    --Bleed size before trimming: 6 7/8" x 10 1/2" (1/8" in all directions)

This thread will be the place you ask questions on this challenge, trash talk, post WIPs and your final art. See the READ THIS FIRST thread for all specs.

Good luck.

P.O.W.! Special Challenge 12 will be posted before Tuesday Midnight, June 10, 2008.

PUH-LEEZE! Do NOT let this interfere with your work on the DEEP project. DEEP is more important, and this little project is to keep you who aren't involved in the DEEP project or those who have a bit of extra time to do something.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ooh snaap GIANT BUGS aaah well this will have to wait DEEP is too good to pass up right now...

Yo Yo YO Panel of the Week POW

Needs Critique CrimsonBows

Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!~ Bruce Lee

When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style.~ Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uses of the term bug you may not have thought of :

*A hybrid of a Pug and a Boston Terrier
    *One of several species of slipper lobster, such as the Moreton Bay bug and the Balmain bug.
    *Manually positioned marker in flight instruments
    *A North American term for a digital on-screen graphic, generally used as a form of television station identification
    *Web bug, an object that is embedded in a web page or e-mail that allows checking that a user has viewed the page or e-mai
    *The Kettering Bug, an early cruise missile.

Enjoy! I'm off to the shops to get a big cup of coffee then I'm going to get a start on this challenge

"You’re right you DO suck, now do something about it"

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    also Bug: Flaw in computer program.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Bug is also a river in eastern Europe. If I remember correctly the river Bug was the approximate line by which the U.S.S.R. and Germany divvied up Poland while they were still getting along.

River Bug? Deep? Nazi flying saucers? Is there some connection here? (Probably not.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok this is my first one, don't know how far i'll go with it cause i want to put some work in my deep project.

so is there like a standard PSD template or something for this?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Metal', check the "Read this first..." stickie above. There's a download source for a couple of different templates in jpg and tiff formats.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=115867

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some years ago I moved into a house with lots of old Stasi bugs in the walls... they were of the size of ping pong ball - thus giant...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zeitwolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm storyboarding an imaginary video for "Lookin' Out My Backdoor" by Creedence Clearwater Revival for this one. It's 27 pages. The bugs show up in the next set.
    Name:  pow 11-1.jpg
Views: 699
Size:  21.4 KBName:  pow 11-2.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  20.8 KBName:  pow 11-3.jpg
Views: 690
Size:  20.8 KB
    Name:  pow 11-4.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  23.0 KBName:  pow 11-5.jpg
Views: 693
Size:  32.2 KBName:  pow 11-6.jpg
Views: 686
Size:  29.4 KB
    Name:  pow 11-7.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  26.3 KBName:  pow 11-8.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  23.1 KBName:  pow 11-9.jpg
Views: 685
Size:  26.6 KB

Last edited by arttorney; June 2nd, 2008 at 11:19 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Arttorney, I'm gonna make you king of a small country somewhere...

Any of you, the DEEP thing is really rolling, and it's gotten much bigger and more complex than we thought it would. I would have no problem with extending this challenge drastically or even freezing it til the DEEP sees some resolution. Don't feel like you're a pussy if you speak up. I'm serious here.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am a pussy.

sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Memphis, if I wasn't a gentleman, I'd turn you over my knee...wait...let me rethink that one...

Shall I gather, Your Royal Highness, that both the Royal WE and the peons both may actually attempt something on this Challenge if I extended this to ...ohhhh...the end of the month, maybe?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh noess D:

trust me you do NOT want to see where I go with Giant bugs...it would just look like tetris with all of the censor blocks...

sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds absolutely fascinating and socially redeeming. Can't wait...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If there's more time I'll actually finish my 27 pages. I have spent the last week filling out application information for a judicial position instead of drawing, so I only have a few other pages done. I could get the next nine pages done by Tuesday midnight if I had to, which would get me through the (hopefully sexy) statues wearin' high heels, my kick line of giant praying mantises, and my flyin' spoon (doo doo doo). As far as the wondrous apparitions provided by a magician, it's not gonna happen this week. The farther I go the busier the pages get of course, with all the giants and elephants, statues and bugs.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...sigh...

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    Arttorney, I'm gonna make you king of a small country somewhere...

Any of you, the DEEP thing is really rolling, and it's gotten much bigger and more complex than we thought it would. I would have no problem with extending this challenge drastically or even freezing it til the DEEP sees some resolution. Don't feel like you're a pussy if you speak up. I'm serious here.
    OK. Seriously. I have thought of some DEEP ideas serious enough to override my initial disinclination to provide lots of free ideas over the internet. I can get to the "Look at all the happy creatures dancin' on the lawn!" Giant Bug Rockettes in another three pages. (total 12 pages of drawing, whereupon I would stop and contribute to the overwhelming DEEP.) Where are the rest of you? I did this challenge. I did Book cover #2 challenge. I'm going to do mentor/mentee stuff. I intend to be reasonably competitive in POW, IDW, and EOW by June 30 in the DEEP thing. So you wanna be a Concept Artist? Don't let yourself get outworked by a career legal professional who is just doing this for fun. It's a little too shameful, don't you think? (Sheeeit!)

(Double Sheeeit, by the way. I even used up a week preparing an application where I list out my last thirty years worth of jobs to get vetted for some government job. Put down your damn video game thing and draw. Otherwise when you're my age you will be wearing animal slippers and living in your mom's garage (not a pretty sight!). When you're Ilaekae's age you'll be wearing a straitjacket and they'll be feeding you apple sauce through a straw. Draw!)

Ilaekae, I would prefer a mountainous country. Those Pacific atolls are getting sucked under by the rising sea level. If you can get me some rockin' guards like those halberd guys guarding the wicked witch of the west, that would be great. ('specially if they sing the "Yo Wee Oh! Yooooo oh!" song while they march around. (Well, to be honest, I'd take those lollipop guild guys if they had mohawks and wore leather jackets. I'm not picky.)

Last edited by arttorney; June 10th, 2008 at 12:12 AM.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amen dude, Amen!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Christ, who would have thought packing 7 years of living at a house down to just 1 suitcase to move overseas while planning everything from housing to visa applications to bank accounts to flights would be so hectic.

=/

My grand idea of 6 pages has quickly shrunk to 4 pages, then changed to another topic that would take less time to draw, then down to 3 pages. I've got one page done so far. HA!

As much as I want to enter this round, and as much as I want to draw my comic out, I don't think I'm going to have time until I'm overseas in a few weeks. Damn, I really really wanted to join in too.

Me = Sad panda

"You’re right you DO suck, now do something about it"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Boolean, don't worry. finish it when you can later the way you think it should be. We'll just post it in the non-competitive section. And I'm sorry to say, your life IS worse than mine right now...all I have to worry about is the fact that my bathroom is now spread out between the bedroom, kitchen and a stool on the front lawn. Hopefully, it will all be back together in about two weeks...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.