Image Copyright/Usage?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Image Copyright/Usage?

Hey guys,

I was wondering, If using any image from the web whether it is copyrighted or not, is it ok to use for only studying from?

If I took an image say of an architectural building with a landscape around it, I made a quick sketch of it or a long precise drawing of it, just for study of perspective as well as to build my visual library, would this be ok, I would not sell the final artwork.

We all know that once you draw something whether from life or not, you remember certain things about your subject you can then put down without any reference. This is why I ask this question.

Thanks.

~JB

Last edited by JustinBeckett; May 20th, 2008 at 07:44 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Silly Silly me.

Sorry guys, I just randomly found a great link on the forums about reference usage...oops. Either way, my question is a bit different then what I just learned. So, I would like to still ask it.

I also want to mention the point. I understand that taking little pieces of different references and placing them all together to create an image from your imagination is proper usage of reference. That isn't my question.

~JB

Jason Manley is offline Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,600 Times in 2,207 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    you can do anything you want as long as you do not use it commercially for any purpose...ie make any money whatsoever in relation to the work.

www.conceptart.org/copyright has info about copyrights in commercial work.

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops 25% off registration right now!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You can even use actual pics off the net as temporary backgrounds or parts for projects or (in my case right now) temporary backgrounds in a comic, as a "space holder" to get an idea across. The assumption is, you'll redo that part into a properly copyright-free form when and if the idea flies. This is what allows you to use such "obvious steals" for a portfolio project for advertising or graphic design, for example. You do have to make it clear to anyone you show it to that it's a piece of "pick-up" to prevent confusion, though.

In your specific case, there are no problems at all because it's for an educational purpose. It's exactly the same as if you were standing in front of the building and drawing it.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now that is exactly the answers I was looking for. You both answered my questions, perfectly.

Thank you.

~JB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for making the thread and thanks for the answers. =)

I was also wondering about this.

~ '
    ~

Will update sometime soon.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.