Algenpfleger vs ~Faust~ (We're done)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I figures I need something to work on for more than 40 minutes and there's nothing more challenging than a challenge so I will beat the shit out of that Algenpfleger-guy. I'll give the topic for now, if you want, Hannes we can have a rematch but your defeat will be even more shameful then.

Topic : Glory!!!

deadline: two weeks from now : 3.6.2008 00:01 (I know we're living in the same time-zone so no cheating on that)

(WIPs and helpful critique is allowed, though not mandatory, trashtalk is)

Last edited by ~Faust~; June 3rd, 2008 at 02:39 AM. Reason: We're done
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,847 Times in 636 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ha! As if I'd ever lose to someone who sets a two weeks deadline! You'd better invest all of those 14 days if you want to get anywhere near beating me!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude I'll shit the stuff out tonight, as if I'd need that much time just to beat you! I made it two weeks so that I can enhoy seeing your balls slowly shrink in fear of what's to come!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't get cocky! You won't even find sleep tonight, sweat-dripping you will wake up again and again and repent for your sind, but in vain! It's too late now!!

Oh, and no posting of the final piece before the deadline, okay? I want you to die from the shock >

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't get cocky! You won't even find sleep tonight, sweat-dripping you will wake up again and again and repent for your sind, but in vain! It's too late now!!

Oh, and no posting of the final piece before the deadline, okay? I want you to die from the shock >

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Double post D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha, thank you, I would just die laughing at your ridiculous attempts, anyway! That way i can harden myself for the greatest shock in 2 weeks, when I look back at MY piece and be blinded with my awesomeness!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Monday night is drawing closer! I hope you started already, but you might as well give up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, if you're shitting your pants, you can say so, kid! I can understand, HAHAHAH!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh yeah? OH YEAH?

Haha I'm SO looking forward to that. Lots of fun already. Can't wait for Monday!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok, I step up as a man and accept my utter and total defeat with this piece of trash without any excuses.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, your PM came too late! I had already gone to bed.
    Defeat, huh? Don't jump to conclusions! I think yours is a massive leap, and you did really tackle something there with painting so many characters. Set up a poll! Or maybe not. At least change the thread title to let people know we're done

Here's mine D:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmmm setting up a poll isn't within the edit-options. On the other hand, I don't think we need one, I personally see this as an exercise to tackle my biggest issue, which is time.

Yours is truly something my friend, the lighting is extremely well done and nicely composed with the warm foreground and cold background (although to me it seems there is not much reason for this foreground light, where does it come from? The diffusion you have is a bit much for mere medieval artificial light, looks more like a stage-light).

But the texture and reflektions of the armors is pretty awesome, making up for al this fantasy-feeling so much more than those pointy ears (Which you don't need in this case imo)

Anywise, I do think that I won in this in some regards, since I pretty heavily leaned outside my comfort-zone. But you woned me on the rendering-part and your story reads so well! I am really frightened of that blood-thirsty woman.

Been a hell of a learning-experience. Thanks for the opportunity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, and hey, I got outside my box too! And yeah it was fun, let's do that again sometime

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You both did a great job.
    One of Algenpflegers biggest strength are the colors (and girls i think ) They are so warm and vivid...very consumer-friendly. I just can't help but liking them.
    In my opinion the weakest part of the image is how the background and the girl work together. To me it looks a bit like you started with the girl first and then added the background very fast. If you take the bg away and just take the girl, it would work just as well.

In this point i think Faust did a better job. Due to the crowd that moves towards the viewer BG and foreground work very well together. To me the whole image looks very much like a movie still. I like the composition of it. Maybe i would have cut away a bit on the right side since the most action is happening on the left. But I'm not a pro so ..yeah.

Rock on guys!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to canti For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    let's see here. i second what canti said to an extent. Fauts you have a great composition and it looks like a good start to what could be finished out to be a successful piece, definitely lots of foreground/background elements and the red definitely helps bring about a central focus point.

Algen's piece is well executed, and has obvious division of space, the character due to her obvious increase in detail and color is the focus, yes rendering is good, form is ok, overall well done. Definitely an obvious skill improvement.

lets see. crits:

Faust: would like to see it in a more finished state, good overall composition but it's hard to tell what the overall story is. Assuming this is a roman setting,there's obvious senate members, high ranking aristocrats and such, but i'm also seeing some swords and possibly guard's shields? So this gets a little confusing, also the pillar on the left as well as the trees on the right break up the composition considerably. They frame and confine the action so as the crowd goes back in space it looks like they're being smashed up against the pillar instead of receeding back in space. Check out craig mullins, he does a lot of really awesome group sketches and paints that both have amazing perspective and really well executed organization of elements. Lastly your colors are low in saturation and value, they're all a little washed out, it would be nice to see you really punch up some of it with some bold values, as right now the contrast is prettymuch the same so if we took it to b&w there'd be no real focal point. All in all though, excellent effort, great job

Algen: Excellent rendering, great color. HOWEVER, as with fausts' the story is lacking, she's wiping blood off of a sword and yet everyone was killed with arrows? Either give her a bow&arrows OR make it obvious that either she killed the worriors OR she killed someone who was killing the warriors, right now it's really hard to figure out what exactly happened in the scene. Also they're all wearing the same armor, so it almost seems like she just betrayed a whole bunch of her own faction. Expression, although yes that's what a tongue would look like if it was just sticking out a little sometimes it's better to push it a bit further, right not the tongue looks awkward, like a third lip, or a slug. Lastly while the rendering of her armor and face is well executed her elbow and wrists seem a little awkwardly constructed, her hand also looks huge proportionally.

All in all, great stuff, if i was to pick a winner i'd say algen. by a nose.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark Bot For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.