Good Schools and/or Classes That Are Affiordable
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Good Schools and/or Classes That Are Affiordable

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Good Schools and/or Classes That Are Affiordable

I am starting this thread in the hopes that those who have information that could help economically challenged people find training will post! Please state the location, the contact information, and the content.

Do you know of someone teaching privately? Do you know about a program that is teaching basics well and is affordable?

Please share! We all have an obligation to help each other.

Are you someone who faced challenges and managed to overcome them? How did you do it? Can you offer advice to those who are hungry to learn and can't find a way to get training?

Remember, even with some scholarship assistance there are many talented people who can't afford the university
    route!

PS My apologies for the typo in the heading, which I can't seem to edit!

Last edited by Maxine Schacker; May 19th, 2008 at 09:07 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would try the Art league here in Alexandria,Va located in the torpedo factory. There is a teacher there named Malone Samuels who teaches anatomy,cartooning 1,2,3 and basic drawing. Most of the classes and work shops are under 200 dollars and the teachers are willing to help you on a one on one basis.

Some m#therf@cker is always trying to iceskate uphill.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you, Dpendleton. The rest of you: where are you? Lend a hand!

Let's share what we know and let people know about alternatives. Please contribute.

Don't forget to tell us where the class, teacher, program, or school is located. We are looking for affordable alternatives. Thanks for helping out.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For those who want to learn but couldn't afford schools, and would at least want to teach themselves drawing, here are some recommendations:

Glenn Vilppu DVDs:
    Figure Course
    Anatomy Course
    Vilppu Complete Set

Structure of Man DVDs

Schoolism.
    Includes courses by Stephen Silver, character designer for Kim Possible & Danny Phantom, who also inspired the art of Penny Arcade.

Brian Lemay, top animation teacher from Sheridan

Gesture Drawing for Animation by Walt Stanchfield

Joe Kubert Correspondence Course

Famous Artist School Course

Preston Blair's Animation Bible: First Edition

Looney Tunes: Warner Bros Character Design Manual

Andrew Loomis

IDrawgirls

Please review each link, and give your opinion on each

Last edited by Altercator; May 23rd, 2008 at 11:33 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Maxine, I haven't been around in the education thread for awhile now, time to contribute!

Art League ALEXANDRIA, VIRGINIA, USA
    The Art League in Alexandria that Dpendleton mentions also has inexpensive classes with Robert Liberace, a VERY good painter, draftsman, sculptor...here's his website
    http://www.robertliberace.com/

Animation Guild, STUDIO CITY (near los angeles....super close to universal studios), CALIFORNIA, USA

For people in the Los Angeles area, the Animation Guild is amazing, the classes range from 90 to 260 dollars, which is ridiculously inexpensive given the quality of teachers and the length of the classes. For a measly $230, I studied with the amazing Glenn Vilppu for 12 weeks, 5 hours a week. Karl Gnass also teaches there, along with my other teacher Will Weston. Apart from being amazing draftsmen, these people have worked at Disney and other studios and have taught at studios as well.

Also, in my class Glenn was more than happy to help me with paintings, drawings, etc during the lunch break.

Classes include life drawing, life painting, heads feet and hands, perspective, composition for film, still life painting, animal drawing...all with a bent to the constructive tradition.
    http://www.animationguild.org/_Home/home_FRM1.html

STUDIO 2ND STREET, ENCINITAS, CALIFORNIA, USA

In San Diego, there's Studio 2nd Street, run by Ron and Vanessa Lemen...classes are $225 http://www.studio2ndstreet.com/classes.html
    I think Ron Lemen is fairly well known around here, checck out his posts on the first page of the life painting thread http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9562

That's all for now, I'll post back if I can think of anything else

-Ramon

Last edited by Ramon Hurtado; May 25th, 2008 at 05:07 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, Pancho! This thread is starting to take shape. Please let others know so they can contribute. One suggestion (wish I'd thought of it before!) Let's CAPITALIZE the city, state, country so that viewers can take it in fast.

Good karma for all of you who take the time to lend a hand to others.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Memphis TN, USA The Contemporary Realist Academy.

Runs under $500 for a quarter, the instructor, Kathryn Manzo studied under Ted Seth Jacobs at the Art Student's League in NY and has extensive commercial experience as an art director for children's toy packaging, and she's great...

9 hours per week, night classes, live models, traditional French Academic techniques taught.

sehertu mannu narāṭu ina pānāt šagapīru ningishzidda
    abrahadabra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just found this on another thread! ALEXANDRIA VA IS CLOSE TO DC, USA. Thanks, Mirskov.

the slower you go, the further you get
    Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii

hey man, The Art League in Alexandria (D.C.) - some of the teachers there are really good - for drawing and painting. They also have open life drawing/painting sessions pretty much every day of the week. Here's a link to their website - http://www.theartleague.org/school/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Let's keep this thread alive and keep adding to it!

I'm sure that there are good , affordable places to learn skills right across North America. Please share with all those people who visit this web site and are looking for some way to get an education.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    (I copy and pasted this from another thread)

Old Today, 05:17 AM
    Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator

6 months ago I came to LA, planning to get into art center college of design. In the meanwhile I checked out that school, looked into the teachers teaching there, compare them with smaller ateliers etc.. Compared the tuition and bunch of other factors. In short I did alot of research to get the best education I could possibly get. I also talked to alot of art center students, new students and upper terms.

Here is my conclusion. If you are willing to be a little self motivated then you absolutely do not need a expensive school like art center. Atleast to become a concept designer or illustrator. If you want to do cardesign or products then thats another story.

I took the concept design academy that Kevin Chen just started last year and it has been an amazing ride. I don't think there is a better place to be for entertainment design except maybe for the conceptart atelier. You have the best teachers you can get at that little school, and each teacher is there for the STUDENTS and they dedicate as much time as possible for the students. Plus you have amazing workshops each term from top industry professionals.
    490 dollars for a class each term, can't be beat!

Ofcourse if you are a beginner you need the foundation. The funny thing is that if you actually go to art center and pay over 15 000 a term, you wont get a solid foundation. The cut down alot of foundation classes the last few years, no idea why but the overall quality of work at the grad shows is showing it. So I searched for another school to get a solid foundation and I noticed that some motivated art center kids actually take classes at LAAFA to get the foundation they lack at art center.
    So I looked into LAAFA, I actually visited them last week and the school is great, pretty small but all the students are highly motivated and the work looks really great. And again the teachers teaching there are top. Overall beter teachers then at art center. Ron Lemen, Nathan Fowkes, Bill Perkins, Chean Cheetham, Nick Domingo, etc... Need to say more?

LAAFA to get the foundation in their 3 year program and on the side the Concept Design Academy for entertainment wich is around 30-40 mins from LAAFA. Because those schools are small and everybody knows everybody and industry professionals are teaching it becomes really easy to get connections into the industry once you feel ready to look for jobs.

Don't get me wrong, Art Center is a great school from what I have seen but totally not worth the money because you can get a better education from better teachers for alot less money. And with all the problems at art center right now because students are starting to wonder where all their tuition is going, with good reasons, it is definitly not the best time to go there. To read about art centers problems for those interested, go here. http://designercowboy.blogspot.com/2...ous-trash.html

So this is my point of view on all this. For the schools I mentioned go here..

http://www.laafa.org/atelier/

http://www.conceptdesignacad.com/

Concept Design Academy

»»»»»MY SKETCHBOOK«««««

Anurizm's sketchbook

Piru's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice thread, good info

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    km.artist, I notice you're from Toronto! Come and visit us- our year end show is up now so there's lots to see.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For those living in South East Asia & Oceania:

Inverlochy in Wellington, New Zealand.
    Course fees for Drawing
    Course fees for Painting

Kidogo Institute

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Is it ok to ASK for information??

Does anyone have any information or experiences about Cornish College of the Arts in Seattle? I'm really thinking about transferring there for their Visual Communication Design major with a main focus on Illustration-geared classes.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Of course! However, the best way to find someone who may be able to help you is to start a thread asking about Cornish College.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What about online art schools?

I've came across these two:
    Sessions Online School of Design
    Drawing Professor

Are they worth joining?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.