How to make poster?! Help!Due date next week!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

This is for the movie poster but this is my first time creating poster though... So hard to make it proper enough. It seem too messy for the 1st one. So, 2nd one is what I corrected. Is it better? comments are welcome...
    Name:  background a3+ main char copy2.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  402.6 KB

Name:  2nd repaired a3 copy.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  319.0 KB

Last edited by AngelicTing; May 19th, 2008 at 06:35 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mate... you are asking for trouble...

Please give erudite, constructive critiques or give none at all.

- b l o g - s k e t c h b o o k -

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell." - Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Why say so? I dont really know whether it's good enough or not...So I seek for somebody's comment here...If got anything can do to improve, I hope to improve more...maybe the text I put up there is kinda wrong cause at 1st I oni put the 1st artwork, din plan to put the corrected one also. But I finished the 2nd one also, so I put together. Cause earlier I show my cousin and ask him what do he think about it and for the 2nd one, he still unsatisfy...I blank why is that so...

Last edited by AngelicTing; May 19th, 2008 at 06:37 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First rule of thumb in graphic design, especially in illustration used for covers, is to leave enough 'eye' room for the text. Second of all, even your second cover is too busy and saturated. All of the colors are high-key, bright and screaming and it's very hard for my eye to know where to go. What I'll advise is either lowering or toning down the colors in the background, so that the female in the front pops - she is the focal point, right? - or eliminating some of those magic circles. Not all of them are necessary and they contribute too much clutter.

You want to sell a cover on first impressions. According to what I learned in my graphic design major, you get at most 4 seconds to make a strong impression. This one gets lost, unfortunately. Also, your text clashes with the bright colors and busyness by being textured, colored, and placed in an area surrounded by all the above. Stick with one flat color - no shadows, 3D pop-ups, nothing fancy - and make sure the color stands out from all the rest. Black is too strong for this piece; white would be equally unusable, so I'll suggest a strong orange-gold or something a bit darker if you desaturate the image.

If you have any more trouble, let me know. I've already designed covers for my church and personal books aside, so I'll be able to lend you a hand on the design elements.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Have to agree with ShroudStar...you currently have no place for the text to sit comfortably...toning down and/or losing one or two of those circulat designs could help...

I'm no expert, but I would suggest toning down all the colours...only a quick effort here, but I've toned down the whole image, in particluar the background figure, and strengthened the edge of the foreground figures wing...is only a couple of minutes work, but I think it strengthens the piece...

BTW, can someone tell me how you get the little thumbnail piccy next to the threads title?

Last edited by Bone Idol; May 19th, 2008 at 06:33 PM.
    "If less is more, then just think how much more more would be!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This piece is altogether too much. The colors are too bright everywhere, the saturation is too high everywhere, its too busy, etc. Now granted, saturated colors are fine, but when they're EVERYWHERE, it makes the piece visually confusing. Start by finding your focal point(s) and tailor your values and colors to that.

Second, the chick's head is lopsided.

Third, the text needs a home, but this has already been stated, so I won't fuck it with anymore.

-Dread_Reaper

Dread_Reaper's (HORRIBLY OUTDATED) Book of Darkness and Stuff

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=119607

Current Threads:

DIABLO III fan art
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=275543

Also check out my new website!

http://nickgilliland.daportfolio.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wanna ask abt the text, why shouldnt I put any effect for the text? Got any concept for the text for the poster? Cause I heard people saying if u put outline for sth, means it becomes animation. I just blur abt it. What you mean is just putting the words simple and natural?

Last edited by AngelicTing; May 20th, 2008 at 10:19 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Poster after fixed. Still got anything wrong and can improve?

I desaturate the background already (although at first I still figuring where to desaturate) and I throw away the magic circle and the text, earlier before I receive the comment, I changed already and now I just change the words by deleting the effects. Hope it is a bit better than the 1st 2 posts. And got anything else that I did wrongly? Do tell me and I try to fix it. Thanks a lot for the comments, I learnt a lot.
    Name:  3rd repaired small copy.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  308.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is a much stronger image already...greatly improved!

Text is much clearer, too...

If you have chance to fix the fore figures lopsided head, as mentioned by Dread_Reaper, I would take the time to...

Looking at it, the face itself is only ever-so-slightly off...but the hair is quite lopsided, which draws the eye to it...you could try just grabbing the hair and shifting it slightly to the left to centre it which should help greatly in removing the effect...not sure on layers used, but there appears to be enough of a contrast between the hair and face to make this a relatively simple task...

I know very little about text, but I think I'd like it more if the sizing and spacing of the words "Fate" and "Destiny" were the same too...

"If less is more, then just think how much more more would be!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by AngelicTing View Post
    I wanna ask abt the text, why shouldnt I put any effect for the text? Got any concept for the text for the poster? Cause I heard people saying if u put outline for sth, means it becomes animation. I just blur abt it. What you mean is just putting the words simple and natural?
    In your case, it's not advised because you already have a lot of other stuff going on in the background. But your recent change is very, very good. You have more room for the text; I can read it at first glance and with the colors desaturated, my eye doesn't wander from place to place. (Nor, does it hurt my eyes anymore). The only other change with the title text is to shrink it just a bit and see if you can center it.

You're getting there. Next time, sketch out some thumbnails so that you'll know where your text goes. You can work your illustration around that afterwards.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot for everyone's comments ^^. I really learnt a lot. Now what I will do is change the char's head and hair, try to see if can make it balance or not =.=; sorry for making the mistake though...im not so strong in drawing anime char and this char is the 4th anime char i drew. Still a newbie in drawing anime char though =.=; Im not making excuses and I admit Im lack of observation, didn't even notice that before and after colored it. thanks for pointing out the mistakes I did ^^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I had tried to change the head and hair, a bit. Hope really get nicer a bit =.=; I think really got a lot more to go....my standard so terrible and fixing a bit of things took me hours....the font I cant do anything to it yet so far cause I had been grouping them at the 1st place....maybe tomorrow I try again. I wonder normally people photoshoping, the file is how big? mine already reach 508mb...really making my laptop jam....1st artwork i did, 380mb and 2nd one, this poster....swt...
    Attachment 373862

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry, wrong jpeg though....here the correct one.
    Name:  4th repaired smaller file.jpg
Views: 143
Size:  340.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's wayyyy too much going on with this... you need to simplify the drawing considerably, and work more on your composition than the details. It's too noisy, and there are too many colors, which end up confusing the piece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AngelicTing - No hard feelings mate, but the anime stigma exists, especially in a place like this

Please give erudite, constructive critiques or give none at all.

- b l o g - s k e t c h b o o k -

"Maybe this world is another planet's hell." - Aldous Huxley

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.