Sketchbook: Chronicles of Jussi Tarvainen [Updated April 10th] - Page 8
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Chronicles of Jussi Tarvainen [Updated April 10th]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know what to say, the crazy improvement you have made and just the amount of work you put into it. Your an inspiration to me! keep going!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    big props on the improvement you've made. Really solid stuff.

kipitup

Thanks
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,320 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks for the comment in my sb. DUDE! love your cast drawings lots of improvement and i can tell you're learning a lot. I need to do one of those... It's great to look through your sb and see all the notes you take. they really have some good tidbits of knowledge in them. keep posting man!

my sketchbook

What drives a man, but that he should love and be loved, and find the purpose that his heart was made for.
    Whatever you do work at it with all your heart as working for the Lord. col. 3:23

10 Minute UberMega Battle Thread!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it pains me to think how much a motherfucker that scale drawing must have been to draw. All those details. But the finished drawing was worth all the effort I think. It's beautiful. Go Finland.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great caste drawing, great sp, and still lifes!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mydrako, thank you for the nice words and feedback. I definitely tend to make my pencils way too light. Thanks for the reminder, it comes in handy!

Thanks Juhani, let's keep pushing it

Keevy39, cheers mate. If I can inspire someone, that alone will inspire me for days. I am honored. Thank you.

Lakka, Cheers!

Parsakoira, trying to study more and hang out online less Internet has too many temptations so I need to keep my nose on the books.

pennington, Thank you for the kind words! I will try to make my posts in the future more educative if time allows because sharing is the key.

Placeboast, hah haa it sure looks like it doesn't it. But it was actually extremely interesting and fun to figure out how to descrive the details.

danlucas, point taken more figurative and varied studies!

Last edited by Jussi Tarvainen; March 8th, 2010 at 04:54 AM.
    "Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
    -Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

DUMP

Okay I'm going to dump some stuff here.

I spent all January trying to learn anatomy better. I copied Bridgman, Bammes, drew skeleton and then traced the muscles on top of it, colored each muscle in one color in David K Rubins anatomy book to learn the names. At the end of the month I realized how vast the human anatomy is. Still so much to learn.

February I spent sculpting human anatomy figure at a workshop and it was truly an eye opening experience. I think sculpting is a great way to learn to understand the human anatomy, mechanics and form. Definitely suggest to everyone sculpting parts of the human body to help to understand it.

Now I've been drawing a lot of gesture drawing. At the very bottom you'll find an exercise I have found very valuable. A friend of mine introduced it to me.
    The way it goes is that you draw a figure in 2 minutes from reference and you do that 8 times for example. Each time try to get more familiar with it. Here I tried a variation to that exercise by using different techniques of showing the gesture and trying to get the proportions right.

I need to do these flow exercises to get looser with my drawings.
    THe stiffness is easily seen in the 2 hour figure drawing from reference.

Attached Images Attached Images                    
    -Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies!! I always love seeing bridgman stuff!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Figure drawings

Here's a somewhat process of a figure study. Short five minute gestural drawings with different techniques and trying to memorize the outline gesture of the figure. When I have enough anatomy knowledge then "all" I need to do is recollect that memorized pose and apply my anatomical information to it. Basically. Lot more to it but this is teaching a lot to me right now.

Last one is purely from imagination. I need to learn the figure proportions better and apply them. Hands and legs tend to be too long. Also need to work on with perspective as well aka foreshortening.

Last one is purely from imagination.

-Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good looking studies, man.

You said in an earlier post (if im not horribly mistaken) that you spend 6-12 hours drawing every day. Do you still keep that pace?

I love how finnish you look in your portrait, haha. Great work there.

The Latecomers SG
    krel, Sir Cam,
    Whirly, TomFenton

Friends Sketchbooks
    witcrack, Bman, purb, Jeff
    kostas, danny

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

It’s always good to show the progression of your work I noticed with some of your early life model studies that you were trying to fit the hole pose onto the paper this was making the body look out of proportion when it came to the legs and feet don’t worry about going off the paper to start with and looking through tougher of your work I could see you were starting to understand that achieving the hole pose on paper is a game of its own and in time this will come naturally to you keep up the good work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice set of anatomy studies. I have to agree anatomy is something that one can never finish learning. It need constant learning, relearning, revisiting and so on. I think the most important thing to learn at the beginning is the skeleton which is the only thing on the body that dont change in shape, and it define the proportion of the body. I see your figure have this issue of having too long legs. I can guess it is due to the fact you are drawing the limbs correctly but not connecting them correctly to the other part, eg pelvis, especially in those situation when the connection point is being obscured during which i can tell you tend to set the connection point where it is not obscured. It is all good anyway because you will get it right after you keep on drawing and analyzing, so keep the drawings coming !

-JS Neo

"Choose only one master.. Nature. " Rembrandt

"The only time I feel alive is when I'm painting." Van Gogh
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Fine Art Journey - Feel Free to come in and take a look !!

Sketchbook - Less Update !!

My Art Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The cast studies are very very nice! The anatomy studies and coming along great too. It's fantastic how disciplined you are at this! (I had a peek at your schedule )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work, Jussi and your approach too your studies is solid, I am about to do a lot of casts studies myself so I might pop back in and ask you a question or two regarding that if that's cool with you?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

bunch of shaizze

Replies first:
    Krel: Cheers mate. Yes 10+ except during weekends. Okay imagine this in Italian accent "Whado ya mean?"

Mac Con: Very good point. Taken. Thank you

Mydrako: Thank you for the feedback. And you are absolutely right. Working hard learning the skeleton bone by bone and attacking with the proportions head on as well Thank you.

Iridyse: Thanks a lot! Yes, train that discipline because those habits will carry you over mountains!

aussiedeza: I'd be but hurt if you don't so you better swing back!

I am very fortunate to have been accepted to the TAD Illustration program. I know I'm at the bottom end skill wise so I have a shit load of catching up to do. But I play the underdog role well and it will keep me pushing.

This is an opportunity I could not have believed even in my wildest dreams and it was not suppose to be possible. I will make the most out of it and share my experiences. More to come on that.

I'm rocking a hella shcedule till the school starts in July and after that it's going to be even more hectic.

Okay here's a bunch of stuff again. Been drawing a ton of scapulas. I'm finding it invaluable to do at least 6 two minute copies of one view. That applies to EVERYTHING. You can bet there's a dozen at least of each of these in the drawer. It's all about the mileage as well as making it count.

Some life figure drawings too in this batch. And my simplified schedule which is working terrific and I'm learning to not be too strained by it. Just keeps me working the hours.

I'm going through Michael Hamptons terrific figure drawing book. Drawing every page at least 6 times or until I understand to some degree.

It's all about the foundations at this point.

-Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

congrats

hey jussi! it's Zac from CAO. Glad to see you got into TAD! I'll be right behind you soon enough! I'll drop in here more, i need to update..and wheres your money still life? post it upp!!!

Simplify
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi!! I have seen your work and I liked too much your statue paintings they are great!!
    I see you work very hard with the figure, I need to work like you . See ya and thanks for visiting my sketchbook!!!
    Keep posting!
    My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You are pushing your self hard Jussi. I wish I had the time you have to devote to drawing like you but I have to work full time. There is not much to say really except keep doing what you are doing and maybe do some finished works to put all this hard work to use. I would also be interested to hear where you are up to in your studies with the CAO training you are doing.

The Late Starters Sketch Group

UrbanHermit~Krel~DiR3Kt~Sir Cam

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats on getting in TAD !!... It sound like a dream come true. Good studies... I think u have to be both careful and loose with your lines. Sound contradicting ? I think art is full of such contradicting ideas. i suggest u draw slower in the sense you dont try to draw many strokes to get yourself to the right one. Draw one and that one u draw with sureness and freedom. And always go from dark to light to dark. Everything organic are curved in someway, and that result in dark contours going into light portion going back to dark portion. Thats how our line should be. some of your lines are abit too uniform at the moment. Hope this help

-JS Neo

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Art Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zack awesome! Yeah drop me a line when you update, I want to see where you at! Oh it's somewhere here

RedWarrior, thank you.

UrbanHermit, it's all about your self. What I mean is use your energy into what you got, not into what you don't have or what others have. I didn't have what I have now before. I worked hard to get it. So use your time wisely, draw where ever you can because the time adds up at the end.
    I feel ya on that one, I'd need to do some finished work. Will think about it
    Thanks and the best of luck buddy!

Mydrako, thanks mate. I'm right there with ya. Ze Perfect Practice, comes with knowledge and practice, working hard on it and your reminder come at a perfect time! That Dark and light thing is eye opening, need to post it on my wall. Really, thanks a lot for seeing the effort and writing more than an encouragement.

In a week or two you'll see my latest cast drawing.

Here's another small update. Some of the morning exercises at the bottom. These are way fun. And trying to figure out a balance to the figure and some other figure stuff.

-Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hard at work

Here's a bunch of stuff done this week. Been drawing tons of these pages. Simplified anatomy from Bammes which has been eye opening for me but not until I've drawn at least 6-10 drawings of each view. And of course a few from memory to check if I have internalized what I've been drawing "read" recorded it into my memory.

Also did the front, back and side view muscles for the torso in layers with colored pencil. 4 to 6 drawings per view till I understood what I needed to. Here's just the back though. Used the David Rubins book as reference. Great book for color coding the muscles and that way learning the names and copying to learn anatomy. Need to do Bridgman for implementing form.

Next week I need to do some more drawing from life and stop neglecting that area. I'm almost finished with my latest cast exercise so that'll come soon.

Thanks for stopping by.

-Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

more anatomy

Okay still more anatomy. Especially pelvis. Starting to get the idea. Need to start doing more organic stuff. Life drawing, personal figure studies for fun, some more anatomy etc. Also finished my latest cast drawing which was an edge exercise. Will post that soon.

-Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    u are going on a very good path. I am also going back to the basics and trying to learn the construction of the human body in a similar way as u. Learning the planes, the basic geometric shapes of the body. Your practice will pay off in the future. Dont forget to do some fun drawings too to keep ur spirit up !

-JS Neo

My Art Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great to see that you're disciplined with your studies. Man that quote on your signature is perfect

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, those studies are very good to see. Keep doing those! I need to get some of those in as well, thanks for the reminder :]

Phil Lietz
    www.phillietz.com
    www.phillietz.blogspot.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it seems your line is cleaner than it was before and your grasp on construction is getting better also you're progressing nicely, continue!

"Take credit for anything embedded in the edit as long as you ment it when you said It"

Sketchbook <-nsfw|Deviantart | Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maaaan you've been working hard. Sorry for the lack of crits or suggestions. Nothing really going on in my head right now. Just following your art journey. Keep working hard. Ok? Btw. Vilppu is the man. If you can get your hands on some of his anatomy videos you'll be a happy man.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JUSSSSSSI! Keep pushing hard, don't forget to do life drawing of yourself for anatomy. Arms, hands, legs. I think it will help you a lot and things will start to click together. Oh i updated today aslo :]

Simplify
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pelvis is the Penis of anatomy
    Good work.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3