Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

20 min value study

I haven't been as productive lately as I've wanted to. So now it's back on the horse and I'm giving myself some assignments like trying to do a portrait per day. Now I'm concentrating on proportions and values.
    Classical art online is going great and I just started my first cast with charcoal! YAY.

Thanks for checking out.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway."
    -Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay here's another one. 35 minutes. She look's a bit masculine probably because her hair was tight back and it doesn't show. Also I made her head too big. That was probably the biggest mistake. Ear is too small but all and all it was fun.

-Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice studies. keep it up, your starting to get a handle on form and value

This account is dead but my sketchbook holds in it my humble beginnings
    SKETCHBOOK NEW SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Remy, Learn so much on each of these. Though they might not be the prettiest I am building a solid foundation and now I have a goal with each drawing and I know where I'm going.

Here's some more 20-40min ones with charcoal and toned background.

-Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a few perspective studies from Feng Zhu's dvd. Although most of these are copies of his work I learned a lot and it was very fun.

Also here's where I'm at with my first cast drawing with charcoal at Classical art online.

-Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey YUZA!
    nice drawings!!! i like the last one alot
    i think u would like the angelartschool u should look at there site!!
    if u havent done that already they have the same kind of studies that u do
    on a very high level!

maybe its time for some color and paint pieces?

your doing great keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi 'ej,

Thanks for the nice words. I'm actually already studying at an online atelier which I prefer more than angel or florence academies. I was looking into ateliers this summer and this solution was best for me and I'm super happy.

No paint nor color for a while for me. I want to learn one thing at a time which will help me in the next step so now I'm learning the value lesson and it's enough to keep me busy for quite a few months. After I got that down it's time for some paint and colors.

Thanks for dropping by and cheering

-Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a self portrait from a photo reference. I was nice to try to put the things into this one that I've learned at the online school. So much knowledge in my head that I wasn't able to put everything into this. Need to pay more attention to proportion and values but this was great training.

-Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes...good study things......keep walking..........

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great work draw more until hand bleeds my new motto

My SB

Now isn't that cute ....
    BUT ITS WRONG!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey

nice drawings, u can really see how you have improved!
    did u find that taking lessons helps? im about to start some, ive always just self taught myself tbh. hope i really get something out of it. keep drawing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks alot, good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good improvement. Keep your eyes open for your proportions though, especially in your portraits, some of them are still weak. Remember to always flip your canvas to catch mistakes.
    I would also do lip studies, it seems to be your weaker area.
    Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the props guys and sorry for the lagging reply.

David, hell yeah. Helps so much, good teacher is a life I mean art savour!
    Mairuku, thanks for the heads up and feedback. I'm slowly learning to get into habit of comparing everything all the time and the more I work the easier the habit becomes.
    Definitely have a lot do to and I'm starting to get together a routines and schedule and what to study.

Okay I'll get an update here today finally.

-Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Update

Okay so here's what I've been up to. Haven't been very active online and tried to spent that time working on getting better at art.

I've gotten myself into a fairly good discipline of drawing about 40 hours per week. Need to crank in a few more hours thought and get my discipline better but I'm really happy with my current schedule.

I study about 4 hours per day for my atelier studies which now is my first cast drawing and 2 for Vilppu's drawing manual and 2 for perspective. I think I'm going to switch things up a bit but not sure yet about the schedule. I want to do more anatomy and more quick life drawings and also some imaginative stuff.

I'm learning all the basics so I'm trying to do everything in steps which will each support each other. So I wont be starting with color for a long time because that would just screw up my learning process of values.

With the Vilppu's drawing manual I'm learning capturing the action which I guess is called gesture drawing as well as same time learning how to understand the 3d form on 2d surface. I'm really stoked cause I've noticed that my thinking has changed and I'm starting to understand it a bit now.

Atelier is currently going a bit slow but I've learned so much and I'm so happy I'm doing it.

Here's just a few examples of the stuff I've done pages of. Technical perspective studies(which I think will help me understand the form on paper and help me understanding foreshortening), gesture studies of photos from Vilppu's manual(guiding the eye with fluent lines through the figure to capture the action and describing it with "wire frame" to understand the form better as well as using "overlapping" to describe the form), a ten hour drapery study for the atelier(understanding values, comparing relationships of value and proportion), cast drawing(relationships of value, proportions, angles of lines, negative shapes, not copying but transferring from life in the limits of the medium of charcoal and keeping the values in relations, because it's impossible to capture the same values as one can see in nature with any medium. Impossible to represent light with white paper.) Uum... I think that was it for now.

Critique and feedback is very welcome and please be blunt, no need to make it any prettier than it is

Oh and sorry for the bad quality of the pics

-Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's a few skull studies from reference. I don't think I need to remember all the different bone names in the skull though

-Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thank you very much for the nice PM. I'm honored you wanted me to talk to you about your awesome progress(Which I see a lot of BTW), but since you asked for it I am really really gonna dig deep and talk my butt off.

Alright so lets just jump right into it. First, you have excellent habits and I love that; these will lead you where ever you want in life, So don't become an idiot and lose them. Second I love your motivation, art everyday is the best way to get where you want to be.

Ok crits:

Tones!- use five clearly stated values ( Mindcandyman probably says this all the time, but one can never hear it enough!)

(I grabbed this from a MindCandyMan reply one time, it concerns painting a bit more than drawing. but its ALL connected.)

From MindCandyMan

"Definitely don't be disheartened that's for sure. You are doing really well. I will try to give you some things that I think might help you out. I think you actually spatially draw really well.
    For the most part on the majority of your drawings things are lined up correctly and everything looks proportionate. I think the problems you are having are in two main areas...value relationships and edge relationships. Color becomes much easier after these two areas are kept in focus. You are doing well separating light and dark which is super super important. You always want to be thinking about what is in the light and what is in the dark. I can see you drawing the shadow shapes really well. However your edges are too harsh between the light and the dark.
    Zorn would simplify values in his paintings in the same way that Sargent would do it (5 values....3 in the light and two in the dark). When you simplify your values you have an extra challenge of getting the edge to appear correct...because you're not using a million transition values. Especially if something is super soft.
    So Zorn would "save values" by using brushwork with edges in mind. He would sort of swipe around the shadow to the light side letting the paint run out. In this way he wouldn't have to adjust the value and the edge would still appear correct because of the stroke.
    These studies are very very quick that you are doing so you should know it's very difficult to get really pleasing results in an hour...people like Schmid can stop painting after 20 min and it looks amazing...we're all just trying to get there hehe. So I know you are definitely going quick on these but it only takes a second or two of thought (before making your stroke) to get that proper edge. Try that out and see if it helps.

Also I think I have noticed that some of your value relationships are exaggerated. The darks in your works are usually too contrasty. Start with the midtone as sargent would always say. You always should keep your darkest dark and your lightest light in mind but you work out from the midtones so that you can control how far you want your value system to move out. If you look at the orange stroke on your stomach there you'll see that the color would actually be fine but the value is actually too dark. Same with the pink stroke on your chest to the right. Don't let those dark values creep into your light areas.

Also as far as color is concerned you need to treat it the same way that you treat values and edges. Everything is a relationship. If you are under an incandescent light (orange light really) then the shadows are going to be cooler than in north light...but that doesn't mean they need to be black or blue. I could do a whole painting under orange light with red paint yellow paint and white. You only need to preserve the relationships...so in other words your shadows just need to be cooler than the light areas...but don't feel the pressure to make them blue or black. You get to decide what you want to say...but everything else just needs to relate properly. Just imagine using a 6h pencil to do a drawing. The darkest area of your drawing is going to be really really light...it will look nothing like reality, but as long as the lights are "that much lighter" than the darks you defined on that drawings you will be ok. It's the same with color. You can use any color scheme you want...but the relationships have to be the same.

I read your thread that you were losing faith recently and so I wanted to try to give you some concrete things to chew on. There are people much more experienced than me but I thought I'd do my best to try to help. Don't stop painting."

Ok wow I'm probably almost over the single post limit but ill keep going to the sun comes up.

Studies

The anatomy studies look, well... like your copying out of the book. ( hopefully your analyzing them and i just can't tell) Sorry to be harsh but thats how it feels. And to be honest this will advance you faster than doing no studies at all, but your in a snail race rather than in a F1 car.

If you're asking "Well Genome, how do i get this race car status you speak of?"ANALYZE stuff.
    -Simplify everything! shapes and planes man, Shapes and Planes!
    -Make notes on the side of pages about what you learned.
    -Do not focus on the names of things over the shape and the 3d shape of them. Names are good if you wanna be a doctor, and can make stuff easier to remember, but artists need focus on what they look like.

-Check this guy out (use the whole thread its basically a course for free
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1432
    If you've already seen this thread go through it again, and soak up that KNOWLEDGE!! DO STUDIES.

-Another example is this dude, and studies like this (paper can be used too) are optimal for fast and progressive learning.
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...&postcount=233

I am really really diggin those perspective studies too bro, i love when people focus on foundations. But, they along with everything else seem ( I hope i dont offend you with this) bland.
    I guess what I am saying is, Where are the fun loving doodles?! where are the monster or w/e you love to draw. Have fun with drawing and studying! Maybe you enjoy the simple things you have been drawing, and if thats the case awesome But then that is another area in which you should push yourself to the limit; changing the subject of what you draw to include a variety of things! The best artists are the most varied!

Self portraits

You always seem to measure so well with your Bargue studies and that nice cast. But with SP's I think you should apply the measurement side of things rather than the value studies for now. Drawing as you know is half of a painters world. Lines and confidence in them make an amateur into an professional. Now, you might get Ancy in your pancy and wanna jump ahead sometimes and focus totally on rendering everything, But let me say this. El Coro went to DanielC's sketchbook thread a while ago and told him, HIM of all people, to stop with the rendering for a while and focus on lines. If he should, WE ALL should.

Also for the charcoal I dont know if you are using your finger, but try to use tissue paper ( i bet you are already doing this) The best stuff (this comes from the atelier that I went to for a painting work shop) is the tissue paper that they use at hospitals.

Oh also, watch what you do with the eyes in your portraits. the eye is far from flat, its more like a diamond, and also watch how big you make everyones pupils. They all look like they are on Magic mushrooms hehe.

Ok so now that I've typed out a whole book, I wanna say that in closing I am super duper Impressed and wish you the best. Sorry for any spelling/grammar mistakes. It is sad that I only know one language and cannot do it with finesse.
    Also, Btw i dropped you a PM.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Genome For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now we're talking! Thanks mate. Big time, THANK YOU!

I won loose those habits, I'll just keep making them better

Alrighty you definitely hit where you neeeded to.

First off, you are right, Jon does a good job reminding me about values and how important they are. It was good reading that excerpt from him and good hearing it from you as well. I will put on my while drawing reminder list cause right now there are so many things to remember as they don't yet come from the back bone

Aah you said it. I actually have been drawing anatomy from life mainly but you are absolutely right that I need to analyze and not just copy. Definitely, that's what Glenn Vilppu keeps saying too. This will come in handy and will also go into my while drawing todo
    Shapes and planes, shapes and planes and simplify. Most definitely you are right. So stoked you had the time to tell me these. I really need to keep these in mind.
    Electric race car status here I come

Aah Mr. Chen. Yeah seen it but haven't put enough time to it. You are absolutely right. He simplifies and analyzes and put's things into planes and shapes. Study study study

You said it. That's my fear and one has to face their fears eventually. I've kinda stopped drawing from my imagination and stuff I like to do to study instead. I was afraid I wasn't going to be happy about the results. But you are once again absolutely right, I need to have more fun and do that stuff too. I mean the more I learn even the foundational studies have become so much fun. Perspective has become very interesting after reading three books on it and capturing the action is great fun too. But need to do some more "own" stuff.

I actually quit doing the selfies because it was too hard for me. Mainly cause I was trying to copy what I saw without analyzing and doing it sight size wasn't working cause I was never at the same position when I looked back. So I rather do portrait studies of other people who stay still. But yeah I have a big problem with eyes because I always make them too big to that's definitely something I need to keep in mind when drawing people. Jon my teacher said that it's because I probably focus so intently into the eyes that they become the focal point and my main interest and that's why they become so big.
    And yeah edges edges edges, so important. You are right I definitely ought to pay attention what is there rather than what I know is there.

I actually haven't used any smoothing "tools". I think the idea is to learn the tool the best we can before using those "tools". But yeah I can definitely use those when doing my own studies and probably with the cast too.

Hey, I have a dare for you now Genome. I dare you to start your own sketchbook! Quoting Arnold "DOO EET". And I know you can't back down from a dare. So I'll see you at your sketchbook thread!

Big thanks again mate and have a great one.

-Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 645 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good yuza
    You got great adivce there!
    REally take it to heart and tackle what genome talked about.
    Don't ever stop working because your improving and your hard work is paying off!
    Tons of improvements really impressive
    Keep it up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by YuZa View Post

Hey, I have a dare for you now Genome. I dare you to start your own sketchbook! Quoting Arnold "DOO EET". And I know you can't back down from a dare. So I'll see you at your sketchbook thread!
    Damn! Well I can refuse a regular dare, but never an Arnold dare! Today is Thursday so give me a week to get a scanner together! Ill post a link Either before that or then! Its a promise. thanks for the push.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lilnebo, thanks for the encouragement

That's right! I knew you it
    I'm excited and can't wait to check it out. See you there soon!

-Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woah, ye'r making huge steps I see. The last few posts doesn't even look like they were somehow made by the same person as the earlier things.

And congrats on that cast study for it turned out great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the kind words. Just checked your sketchbook and I have a lot to learn from you!

-Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey YuZa!

thanks for stopping by my SB. I should take more time off to just surf the galleries, but it seems like I've got so much on my plate with my own studies!... and I see you've been up to the same drills I've been doing (but not posting) the perspective stuff... I recommend Scott Robertson's "rendering matte surfaces" and "perspective" dvd's from ... i've learnt so much.... really, he's awesome.

I've picked up some tips from Genome's post too. No doubt you'll put all on your already heavy plate of things to consider... I was staying away from color too for ages.... just too afraid to jump in. but it's fun to play with on a day off.

hope to see more soon!

carl.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude ! Really nice improvment ! I think for your cast study, you can add a bit more contrast ! Keep the good work up !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice sketches you are on the right track more more practices on fundamental stuffs, 1 thing you should try to apply those knowledge on some imaginative drawings too, use those knowledge better than just copy and remember them only

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice sketches you are on the right track more more practices on fundamental stuffs, 1 thing you should try to apply those knowledge on some imaginative drawings too, use those knowledge better than just copy and remember them only

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Carl, many thanks for the tips and referring to Scott Robertson. I have he's perspective stuff I decided to get the matte rendering which seems brilliant. That'll definitely come in handy.

Yeah you are right, the plate is heeeaaavyy Need to figure out a new schedule to organize things and do them in order so each step can help out the next one. And I definitely need to remember to have fun also.

Walid D - Thanks for the encouragement and tips. Working on making the cast pop out more but I kinda screwed myself when I picked too dark background and now it's hitting me in the ankle cause I'm working on the very limits of the medium. "edit" Well actually the background isn't too dark but I made it too dark so I have to work on the limits of my charcoal. So I could've made the bg lighter and it would've been better. So that's What I'm going to do next "edit end". Basically I need to compress the dark values closer together and light values closer together to represent the reality as the medium can't represent light.

Openanewworld - thanks a lot for stopping by. You are absolutely right. Need to put what I've learned into action

Last edited by Jussi Tarvainen; February 20th, 2009 at 05:16 AM.
    -Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Life Drawgin wippii

I went to my first ever life drawing "night" yesterday and boy it was such a great experience!

Just being around other artist felt great though 4 out of 5 were over 60 years old Anyhow the model was okay thought the lighting was horrible. She did a few 15 minute poses at first then a bunch of 10 minute poses and at the end some 5 minute poses.

I tried to keep in mind what I'd learnt from Glenn Vilppu and to use the technique to go from side to side and create a movement which the lines to guide the eye through the figure. Then I laid down some describing wire frame lines to show the form and which direction the form goes in space.

And I made so many notes after wards from what I learned. I kept having problems making the figure too short, so need to pay more attention there. Also I made too broad curves because I didn't control my lines well enough yet. I noticed how subtle all the curves were and that was a great discovery. Also did some awesome discoveries in the knee area as well as the pelvis area.
    I learned to use the scapulas, collarbones, ribcage, hips, bones in the ankles and wrists and knees as landmarks to pay attention to. I'm sure there are plenty more but I was so stoked to notice how much I've learned from Vilppu and put his teachings in action.

That's all for now. Next update you get to see the finished cast drawing as it's coming to end in the next few days. Finally!

Last edited by Jussi Tarvainen; February 20th, 2009 at 05:37 AM.
    -Anonymous

Jussi Tarvainen

BLOG

Sketchbook

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3