Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you have to be creative?

Thanks

Do you have to be creative?

I like to draw, and I want to develop my ability but the problem is that I really suck at drawing anything from my mind. Even simple things like animals. I can see them, although they are not massively detailed, but there seems to be a broken link between my head and putting them on paper. Is this really needed to become a great artist? Or am I wasting my time?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 408 Posts
    Creativity is a muscle. The more you use it, the stronger it gets. Everyone has to start somewhere.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    when you start drawing it's *always* hard to put what's in your head to paper.

hell, i still can't do it properly. :/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 643 Posts
    No one sees a complete Image, and no you are not wasting your time, draw from observation The more you draw from life you start making a mental library of images after a while drawing gets easier because you can acess all these things in your head

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 753 Posts
    What appears in your head is just unclear impression of image. Those real tangible images are everywhere around you. Get to know them for a while and you'll be able to combine this memory with your imagination.

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,595 Times in 1,789 Posts
    I've been brain-dead for 53 years, and I can still fart out a decent idea once in a while. That must prove something...
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    There's a big market for scientific illustration, at least in Europe. No one wants to paint animals, organs and stuff like that. The downside is that you have to be really, really accurate in what your draw and how you draw something. If that isn't a problem, do some research on the topic. It's not all 3d-modeling, there still is need for someone painting the images for encyclopedias.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,477 Times in 470 Posts
    I think you're confusing creativity with the ability to accurately draw from memory. Creativity is creating concepts and ideas. Drawing from memory is making realistic representations of things based on stored information (as well as creating fantastic creatures and environments based on the same stored information). Either one can be developed from frequent use and exercise. The trick to drawing from stored information is that you first have to store it. This takes years of consistent study and practice working from life and observation.
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DavePalumbo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I have the same problem as you hiiam, I can draw great from reference but ask me to draw even a simple thing from my mind and I'm lost...

Thanks
    My experience has been like this: When you get better, you stop having images in your head and you just follow the lines your hand makes on the paper. At this point, you've given up on a preconception of what it is you're going to draw and started giving in to making the decisions as they become necessary.

You'll still have ideas, but when you're drawing *enough* they just don't rule your life. It's like you're drawing so much it just kinda comes out.

That still doesn't mean I or most people can still draw whatever they want, it's just funny how I think utterly different to how I used to.

Slash is right - draw every day and look at different stuff a lot and it'll come. Having said that, I still know some people who are amazing artists who just don't have amazing ideas. So I guess there's apples and oranges huh?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DavePalumbo View Post
    I think you're confusing creativity with the ability to accurately draw from memory. Creativity is creating concepts and ideas. Drawing from memory is making realistic representations of things based on stored information (as well as creating fantastic creatures and environments based on the same stored information). Either one can be developed from frequent use and exercise. The trick to drawing from stored information is that you first have to store it. This takes years of consistent study and practice working from life and observation.
    This. 100%

EddTQ is offline You don't need pants for the victory dance
    Thanks
    I agree with slash, everyone is creative to a certain extent, the more you practice the more creative you get?

I found this quote on Dice tsutsumi's website (he's awesome)
    “Don’t worry about your originality. You could not get rid of it even if you wanted to. It will stick to you and show you up for better or worse in spite of all you or anyone else can do”
    – Robert Henri
    "why do people with bad breath always want to tell you secrets?"

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirty C View Post
    My experience has been like this: When you get better, you stop having images in your head and you just follow the lines your hand makes on the paper. At this point, you've given up on a preconception of what it is you're going to draw and started giving in to making the decisions as they become necessary.
    Totally true, I've noticed the same change in my process over the years.
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast