Sketchbook: Textmode's House of Mediocrity
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Textmode's House of Mediocrity

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Textmode's House of Mediocrity

I've been interested in art for a fair while, but I've been doing it only on-and-off, and I haven't had much practice as you can see from the images below.

I've made this thread in the hopes that'll convince me to put more practice time in, and hopefully get good at this someday... :/

I think i'm going to switch to working in greyscale, as I've enough problems w/o worrying about color, but more than that i need to practice more, and it shows.

Below are basically the only stuff I've done that I consider worth showing, the bulk of whats not below are traces (which don't really prove anything), some scribbly gestures, and some real rubbish...

specific notes:
    "The Scout" was done sans-references, I mostly did it since I was sick of photographs and quick-gestures, and needed a break. it came out better than I expected, but obviously has a lot of problems. the colors are far too saturated, and the lighting is vague and unreadable (most evident on the right leg, and the rocks/mountain)
    "The Gunman" was mostly an attempt to pull something out of a basically random blob of color. nuff said.
    as for the sunset, meh, I was drunk, and I had this nice new wacom tablet...

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by Textmode; May 17th, 2008 at 10:13 PM. Reason: actual text!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not the most productive day, but I was drawing, which is more than I usually do...

This was actually the first of the day, and bluntly, the best of the day. oh well.

My Sketchbook

"Dont waste your time fealing sorry for yourself, you dont need to practice that; practice drawing." ~le capitan

"The sooner you make your first five thousand mistakes, the sooner you'll be able to correct them." ~Kimon Nicolaides

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice painting! a big improvement in the past few days, amazing! keep up the hard practice

- Julian

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep drawing in B/W with hard brushes for now.

USe references, draw from life, and use le pencil

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alright...an update, I think I can remember how this is done :/

first up, I forgot to point it out, but the woman with the fan is refed, I tried to find the pic so I could link it, but its been too long, I'll link it when i find it.

I had to fight with my scanner for hours, and reboot linux three times (reboot *linux*) to make my scanner work, and even then only in VirtualBox... anyway, new stuff...
    Actual pencil work (well, graphite), the vase and the "kiss" statue are a bit oldish, but I figured I'd post them anyway, the Classroom I did earlier today, in dead moments in class, nice to know I'm as useless with a pencil as I remember.

Not really much to say, all in all, but its an update, and updates are good (or so I'm told), so...enjoy...

My Sketchbook

"Dont waste your time fealing sorry for yourself, you dont need to practice that; practice drawing." ~le capitan

"The sooner you make your first five thousand mistakes, the sooner you'll be able to correct them." ~Kimon Nicolaides

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi

Here are a bunch of threads that can help you out:
    The beginners thread

This forum

Free artbooks

Download these books and practice what's told

Now, i'm bombing these threads on you, simply cos you need to learn a lot still. They have very general info, that will help you out with the first problems. Then, they get more and more specific about how to solve certain issues. Keep drawing and keep practicing. And have a lot of fun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey mate
    I like the attitude you showed in IRC, keep working hard!

It's great that you can analyze your own images and see issues, but I thought that it might be good to get some from another artist as well, so I made a quick overpainting of that Scout of yours to try to give you some ideas and inspiration
    I'm not an anatomical expert, or a painting guru myself, but I like to give advice that I think would make your piece work better. ^^

Let me know if you don't want it here, and I'll remove it!

I'm just spitting out ideas and stuff from here on, so sorry if things are incoherent. Ask questions if need be!

Scout:
    (I wasn't sure as to whether this was to be viewed as a purely conceptual piece of a character design, or as an illustration, but I found that I was able to give more tips if it were the latter, so that's what I chose to work with ;P )

First of all I would like to remind you of one the best tools we have when we're creating an artpiece, and that is storytelling.
    Many artists forget about this, or start thinking about it too late( like me for instance, but I'm working on it now ), so learning to do it early on will help you a lot later on!

If you want people to find your piece interesting, there must be something of interest in it. Sure, you can fill it out with kickass rendering, but without an underlying story, the viewer's interest will fade quickly.

You need to put questions as well as answers in the painting, and by doing so you turn it into a visual adventure

I, for example, find myself asking a lot of questions about your image, but I'm not really finding any answers.
    Where is he? Altitude?
    At which point in time is he?
    What's he scouting for?
    Seeing as he's pointing at something in mid-air, is it safe to assume that there are aircrafts flying around?
    If so, where is that aircraft? :o
    What is he going to use the dagger for?

You need to start asking questions about your image, and learning how to answer them - without necessarily spoiling too much

In my overpaint, I've changed the composition quite radically to allow more elements into the frame.

By adding a horizon, we get a sense of where he is. I've also tried to give the viewer a clue of what he's scouting for, and I chose - boring as it may be - to go with the traditional coast-scout. To add some more interest, I've added some mysterious ships showing up at the horizon, and by making the scout point at it the viewer instantly knows what he's scouting for(he's close to the sea and there are ships there), at which point in time he's at(the ship design), and that he's spotted something( he's pointing at the ships ).

The decision, however, is entirely up to you, so if you want him to scout for badass alien invaders, he can do so. My point is that you have to make sure that it becomes obvious to the viewer, or all you're going to get as a reaction for the piece will be "Oh, he says it's a scout, so I guess it is...".

Other than that, fundamental stuff like practicing anatomy is - as it is for many if not most other artists - absolutely necessary and a requirement if you want your art to look believable.
    There are great books in that subject by Andrew Loomis and Bridgeman for example You can search the forums for more info on that.

Just keep working hard, study anatomy and look at other artists' work.
    Art is an art, so the only way to learn is studying like mad

Now gooooo study!

ReviseTheMethod - DefiledVisions - wookiedabo

"Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
    Such a heavy burden now to be the One
    Born to bear and bring to all the details of our ending,
    To write it down for all the world to see.

But I forgot my pen... "

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ReviseTheMethod For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ReviseTheMethod View Post
    Hey mate
    I like the attitude you showed in IRC, keep working hard!

It's great that you can analyze your own images and see issues, but I thought that it might be good to get some from another artist as well, so I made a quick overpainting of that Scout of yours to try to give you some ideas and inspiration
    I'm not an anatomical expert, or a painting guru myself, but I like to give advice that I think would make your piece work better. ^^

Let me know if you don't want it here, and I'll remove it!

I'm just spitting out ideas and stuff from here on, so sorry if things are incoherent. Ask questions if need be!

Scout:
    (I wasn't sure as to whether this was to be viewed as a purely conceptual piece of a character design, or as an illustration, but I found that I was able to give more tips if it were the latter, so that's what I chose to work with ;P )

First of all I would like to remind you of one the best tools we have when we're creating an artpiece, and that is storytelling.
    Many artists forget about this, or start thinking about it too late( like me for instance, but I'm working on it now ), so learning to do it early on will help you a lot later on!

If you want people to find your piece interesting, there must be something of interest in it. Sure, you can fill it out with kickass rendering, but without an underlying story, the viewer's interest will fade quickly.

You need to put questions as well as answers in the painting, and by doing so you turn it into a visual adventure

I, for example, find myself asking a lot of questions about your image, but I'm not really finding any answers.
    Where is he? Altitude?
    At which point in time is he?
    What's he scouting for?
    Seeing as he's pointing at something in mid-air, is it safe to assume that there are aircrafts flying around?
    If so, where is that aircraft? :o
    What is he going to use the dagger for?

You need to start asking questions about your image, and learning how to answer them - without necessarily spoiling too much

In my overpaint, I've changed the composition quite radically to allow more elements into the frame.

By adding a horizon, we get a sense of where he is. I've also tried to give the viewer a clue of what he's scouting for, and I chose - boring as it may be - to go with the traditional coast-scout. To add some more interest, I've added some mysterious ships showing up at the horizon, and by making the scout point at it the viewer instantly knows what he's scouting for(he's close to the sea and there are ships there), at which point in time he's at(the ship design), and that he's spotted something( he's pointing at the ships ).

The decision, however, is entirely up to you, so if you want him to scout for badass alien invaders, he can do so. My point is that you have to make sure that it becomes obvious to the viewer, or all you're going to get as a reaction for the piece will be "Oh, he says it's a scout, so I guess it is...".

Other than that, fundamental stuff like practicing anatomy is - as it is for many if not most other artists - absolutely necessary and a requirement if you want your art to look believable.
    There are great books in that subject by Andrew Loomis and Bridgeman for example You can search the forums for more info on that.

Just keep working hard, study anatomy and look at other artists' work.
    Art is an art, so the only way to learn is studying like mad

Now gooooo study!
    Now that's a thing you should be fucking happy for. Omg such a big posts of help man...

Great work, keep practicing my friend

sujak nx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Cookiedough
    Point taken, I need to work more on my fundamentals.
    but talking on the IRC channel, I think the bigger issue is that I seemed to have lost my joy for art, and I think i need to rediscover that before I can really progress.
    Though I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to do that...

@Method
    Thanks, I plan to work hard, even if i have to bludgeon my schedule into submission to do it.

and yeah, "The Scout" had a lot of issues, which you nailed rather well, I think.
    Basically, i didn't really plan that piece at all, I was just fighting off procrastination, and was trying to do "Something, Anything", I'm guessing it shows.

Special Kudos to Alesoun, and Method. You really lifted my spirits there on IRC.

At anyrate, I did this sheet of practice sketches, nothing to write home about, but least I'm still drawing, one more update and I'm officially more determined than I was last time, heh.

(Tell me If I'm posting these at too high a Rez, My screen is at 1600x1200, everything looks small...)

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ReviseTheMethod
    ignoring the aforementioned "do something" goal of The Scout, I'd say it was a concept piece, the rough Idea was a scout on a mountain/rock-ridge spotting something on the horizon (advancing army?). As a concept piece, I excused the silliness of the unsheafed dagger (when theres nothing to attack), the fact that he's pointing up though... ::facepalm:: theres nothing in the sky...why would he point *up*? even if there was...he's alone! I'm pretty sure I was sober at the time, but I'm going to claim I was drunk...

My lack of Conceptual direction crippled that piece from the get-go, my art "skills" merely proved the point. I distinctly remember often stopping during that piece with the words "aw, f-k...what now?" going through my head, I really need move with more direction and purpose, if for no reason than to make better use of my time.

I decided to ditch the pencils for the moment, having lost my joy-of-art, I figured using a media I hate isn't helping (I'll have plenty of chances for pencil when I'm out and about), so that means I'm back to my Wacom.

I decided to mix it up a little though, I'm staying away from my usual transparent/soft brushes, and instead using Gimp's Ink tool and also confining myself to a limited palette of 5 grays (blank, 25%, 50%, 75%, white). so far its been interesting, not at all what I'm used to, and I suck at it, but interesting. Its not exactly Joy-of-art, but it beats f*king-aggravating-and-depressing, so I call it a good move.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,249 Times in 905 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    keep those hand studies up!
    i'd love to see how the one in your last post looks now.

TROGLODYTE is offline 4th Yr Illustration - Ringling College Level 1 Gladiator: Andabatae
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alot depends on your passion for art and how important it is to you. The more important it is, the more hunger you have to practice.

Practice from reality and still life will make you a better artist and faster than trying to develop your skill from your imagination. In fact, it works the other way around. The library of your imagination increases when you draw from real life.

From what I see above, you are trying to draw the human body in some context and you need to develop your grasp of human gesture, anatomy, propotion...the basic goodies.

So...unless you have the time and living (and willing) subjects to draw, I would suggest, don't sit down just when you have this great idea in your head of some image you want to bring to completion on paper...
    Instead, grab a magazine (I find that Shape Magazine is a good starter's reference) and your sketchbook, sit down, pick a full body figure...dont try to draw the figure correctly...just try to use sticks, polygons and lines to represent parts of the body, skeleton, mass of the rib cage, pelvis, where the knee caps and elbows are, etc. Do this often and do it alot per sitting. Do many and fast, KEEP YOUR HAND LOOSE, DONT GET TIGHT INTO DETAIL, not at this point. Do nine practices to develop yourself for every one dawing that you do for fun.

Hope that helps,
    Jonathan A.
    Illustration Major - Ringling College of Art & Design

Last edited by TROGLODYTE; October 29th, 2008 at 01:59 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "i'd love to see how the one in your last post looks now." - a la bapsi
    Not quite sure what you mean by that.

Not getting as much practice as I'd like done, still fighting my inhibitions and general fear of producing shite, though I'm getting more done, and faster each day, so it should be a just a matter of time.
    Speaking of which, tomorrow is TAFE day so I won't have much time to draw. Though hopefully I'll manage to squeeze a few sketches in somewhere.

As for today's work... Not much, just a few more hands. They seems worse than yesterdays, but I think the part of my brain that can crit is starting to wake up again, so thats probably skewing my perception a bit.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I didn't get a chance to do any sketches at TAFE, so this is all today's work.
    I'm trying to use less white, as i noticed i was really overdoing it in the previous sketches, and i know that Pure white/black are rare in reality, but I'm not sure theres enough values left in my pallet, time will tell.

I consider this a minor breakthrough, while the quality isn't much better, I'm finding it a lot easier to actually draw/paint, which bodes well for the future. hopefully future dumps will comprise a bit more than one or two badly-drawn hands...

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man! =)
    I'm glad to see you're working on those hands, that'll help you a lot later on
    When you feel ready, I suggest you start working on blending it a bit, to learn how the light wraps around the form ^^

How's your other stuff coming along? =)

ReviseTheMethod - DefiledVisions - wookiedabo

"Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
    Such a heavy burden now to be the One
    Born to bear and bring to all the details of our ending,
    To write it down for all the world to see.

But I forgot my pen... "

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up keep up the nice work

heya textmode remember me from CA IRC awhile back? hehe I've stopped drawing for awhile but inspired to start again. Good to see you are progressing nicely, keep up the good work

- Julian

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've returned, and I'm brandishing a Full page of hands as penance; real paper, with real graphite.
    Only thing that gets me is that I seemed to be getting worse as the page dragged on...

Really need to get my arse in gear, since really I have no excuse.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And again, A page of feet this time, not quite as full though, but its practice anyway. Proportions are off all over the place, and perspective is pretty funky in a few places...its the first time I've ever done feet, thats really all I can say.

My Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.