Sketchbook: For NO RAISIN! - Page 2

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: For NO RAISIN!

Earlier

Earlier this year I took a art class at my college art 1. Im a accounting student so the credits didn't count but i enjoyed the class here are a few sketches from the class still life, portraits, figure, in this class it was the first time using ink with a brush pastels or charocal...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    looks good, this stuff from class! anyway i think you should get your hands down on one of loomis books and study structure! keep goin!

Helllo people

So I haven't really been on the ball lately but I like drawing stupid little comics so I had a small website which I so far posted one comic. I hope to post more, I train jiu jitsu hence the comic. What I would like to ask is I draw the whole thing in adobe photoshop 7 with a canas of 916x350 or something pixels only because that was the sive of the banner on the site where I posted it. The problem was the small details where getting distorted, I'm guess the size was to small, even when I went to type the dialogue the letter where huge at there smallest setting. So I tripled the scale, I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions on how I should be going about this to make a better comic...the site http://jiujitsucomic.com/index.html

continuing with study

So lately i have had the desire to get back to trying to get better at art. I recently got a new job so I am taking time off school which gives me more time to draw, so I bought a new sketchbook. I spent time drawing and I realized I have reached a point where I need to do more studing of art to make any big changes. For a while I was just drawing comic strips and doodling but now I want to get back into study and practice.
    I found two sites one with links to pdfs of Loomis books which I began reading. I wasn't sure which one to read first but Im starting with figure drawing for what its worth. here is the link btw http://escapefromillustrationisland....ion-downloads/
    After reading I realized how much i don't know and how I know nothing about light and shading really. So I found this site http://www.artgraphica.net/free-art-...-art-book.html.
    This site talked about the difference between line, contours, and the study of value.I realize this is why I have trouble with shading, things tend to look too one shade gray sometimes. So I am looking for better understanding of value and "painting" with any meduim. Also how to better my techinque.

If anyone could direct me to good information to help me better understand theses ideas I would appreciate it.
    I'll be posting more stuff soon.
    Thanks!

finally decided to go to school

I finally decided to go to school part time with the little time I have free. I signed up for a figure drawing class two days a week at the art students league of new york. It went good I thought there would be more instruction but bascially there was just models and a timer for 3 and half hours. I dont mind it was cool. I ve been meaning to post a dump of stuff but havent got around to it yet.
    So far I have looked at books by betty edwards, hogarth, loomis, and now Im thinking about checking out bridgeman. If there are anyone else I should check out please let me know. I realize I need alot of work I feel like there is so much to learn.
    Here is some sketches I did on the ferry,some drawings my door etc,a betty edwards exercise, and banksy style rat.
    My scanner sucks im thinking of just taking pictures from my iphone i dunno.
    Stile

Last edited by Stile; April 24th, 2012 at 09:33 PM.

Handy sketchy book

Ihave been carrying this around with me mostly pen line sketches of stuff around me on the bus, on the subway, and some pose manic figure timed sketches. Plus dynamic figure stuff.

digital painting?

So I somewhere online where I can learn how to paint digitally. Ctrlpaint.com is awesome only thing Im using sketchbook pro basic my trial verison of photoshop is done. So as much as I want to paint crazy environments and characters I dont know enough to do that yet. I need to get my skill and confidence up with painting. Here is my second attempt besides the one I need a while back of an apple. I present to you a.....crappy bowl!!!
    I cant really use that ellipse thing to drw curve lines. I need some guidance so any help is apprecaited thanks.
    -Stile

more

Today's study using sketchbook pro. Trying to learn about value and form.

face

So yea this shit is hard took a while and it still is a wip but Its a study so onward i guess...

todays painting

half finish painting how can I bring theses to a more finished piece. So far I layout a rough outline sketch, fill it with a midtones then higlights then shadows, then I start to blend to try and develope value and form. Should I keep doing this and or is there more I should be working on?

help information overload!!

I have offically become a "collector of books". I want to improve, and I think I am just searching for the best way to get me there. I now have all the george bridgman books, hogarths dynamic figures and hands, jack farragasso's mastering figures, the practice and science of drawing, and pdf of loomis books, and drawing on the right side of the brain by betty edwards. There all similar when i comes to the books each one though has a different way of going about creating structure of the figure.
    I think alot of it has confused me and it starts to frustrate me a bit. Look what is the best way to set up a figure drawing by using the structural cubes of bridgman, the dynamic barrels and wedges of hogarth, the oval and spheres of loomis, or should I abandon them for the seeing method like betty edwards teaches?

Should I start with the torso first like hogarth says or the head like bridgman does!? Does it even matter?

I find that bridgman structure is good but I am confused when he sets the figure to use the cubes is it just conceptually or does he actually draw the box around the head and fit the skull inside I find that to have a worst result for me.

Jack farragasso tries to relate every line to another which to me makes a messy piece of lines everywhere.

I am mostly familar with hogarth I think because I started with his stuff.
    I have yet to fully grasp all the concepts.
    I like hogarths values to emphase of form.
    But then Bridgman says to use simple tones and not to use more than 3 in a drawing that the outline is more important.
    BUt hogarth seems to merge the outlne into values of tone.

The thing is I like them all, for different reasons but I cant seem to merge them all together without making a structural mess. There is just to much.
    I guess my questionis how should I study??? lol
    Any help is appreciated
    -Stile

One month in art school!

Well not really, since Im only prt time but still Im glad Im going. Monday and Tuesday in Costa's figure drawing class. He isn't teaching over the summer and when I signed up for for his class late so I was alittle lost but I definitely got something out of it. Next month Im taking someone else for the summer still figure drawing and part time though.
    Here is the last couple of drawings this month the rest are thoughout the month.

more stuff

quick gif of some stuff i did in class!!!
    also some sketchbook stuff...

I return!

So work has consumed most of my time I had to stop taking drawing classes in the city. Anyway I still been drawing a lot, got me some different art stuff from Blicks in NYC. Some toned paper, Copics, and pentel pens. I bought a empty pentel water brush pen think about trying ink wash stuff.

Copics

Trying out the new copics..

Stuff

Comics I did a sketch of bane, and other stuff.

Hello

Two sketches

nice progress but you must sketch more, more and more... every next sketch will be better and better so keep going. Try to make more human anatomy sketches and some simply things like cup or bottle

Thank you

Xiw: thanks for the comment I took your advice to heart and did some sketches I plan to do more. I used George bridgmans book today I went through the first sections building, rhythm, and turn and twisting.

its good that you stayed with it even with the gap in posts. keep up the progress

thanks

deputyballer: thanks man i always draw when I can hopefully I can be more consistent posting I know its the best way to improve.
    I just wanted to post just before I go to sleep...squirrel

Those last anatomy sketches be looking tasty. I recommend also finding a harder edged brush as your paintings often seem too soft. Keep it up.

C93ero thanks for the recommendation I think I am over doing it when I start to blend. Anyway I need to do more painting.

Here's a old paint study and today's sketches. For some reason today my hand didn't want to flow as smoothly as yesterday.

Forget this too

Skull

Heyo

I've been learning and going over the fundamentals by watching ctrlpaint.com awesome site. Trying to get better everyday and work on painting and drawing.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.